Bud Light Platinum - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Platinum Alström Bros
Reviews: 311 | Hads: 1,692
1.56/5  rDev -31.3%

This beer pours a clear, sparkling yellow with no head or lace. The aroma is lemons and corn. The flavor is mainly lemony with cake and sweet corn notes. It's mouthfeel is thin and it sours as it warms. Bud Light Platinum is okay in a pinch, barely recommended. (261 characters)

1.56/5  rDev -31.3%

I don't normally review beers I'm sure I won't enjoy, but since a friend already made the mistake of paying money for this stuff, I gave it a whirl.

Pale clear yellow, like yellowish water. The only thing I smell is yeast, smells like the trub you leave behind in your brewing pail.

I'd love to say that it tastes nasty, offensive or terrible, but the truth is that it really doesn't have a taste. It's like bubbly water with some corn extract flavor. I've had worse tasting beers, but at least they tasted like beer. This is nothing. Not worth the time at all. (564 characters)

1.57/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

This stuff doesn't taste any different than Bud Light. I haven't done a side-by-side to be sure, though, so perhaps there are some nuances and small subtleties that hadn't carried over in my memory.

Pale straw-yellow body, crystal clear with a bone-white "head" that fizzles away quicker than my checking account after BCBS is released each year. Grains on the nose, grains on the nose, smellin' like a BUD with yo' grains on the nose. Grainy, corny, and full of metallic tones, this stuff is not a pleasure to smell, and it only gets more pungent as it warms.

Drink it ice cold, so you numb your taste buds from the poorly laid out grains and sweet, corn-like malts. More metallic in the taste, this stuff couldn't be any more "meh". No alcohol taste present (6% ABV woo!) Crisp, lighter-than-light mouth feel. Stay away from this stuff, unless you're trying to hit that frat boy buzz. (888 characters)

1.57/5  rDev -30.8%

A - Drank directly out of the bottle, but from what I could gather by looking at it through the blue bottle (which is pretty cool, but doesn't make the beer any better), looks like the regular, run of the mill light beer.

S - Smells like beer. A little more beery than the usual light beer, but nothing special. Can't pick up on the "high ABV" this beer claims to have at all.

T - Bud Light. That is what this tastes like. Bud Light with a little more beer in it maybe...

M - Thought I was drinking water for a few moments. Has no carbonation really, and doesn't have that beer feel most beers have.

O - It's a good idea for people who like light beer and want to get drunk, but for those of us who actually have taste buds and a functioning brain, I'd definitely avoid this beer. (784 characters)

1.57/5  rDev -30.8%

Appearance of Bottle: made me want to immediately hop on my private jet and say to the pilot emphatically "To Beirut, son."

Apperance of Beverage: dehydrated potty but on the edges gold bars under a fantastically large and dim microfiche reader. I saw one lace but perhaps it could have been saliva from savagely drooling over what I had been told from several reputable sources was outstanding.

Smell: nose was pungently undisturbing with slight tinges of the straw that served as the floor of Affirmed's bed.

Taste: 60 year old pillow stuffing from Estonia, depleted uranium and cigarette filters. I can detect slight undertones of mercury but it fades fast... or it makes me percieve that it does.

Overall: i would drink this over bud light. Would use as the foil in a mystery cooler. (792 characters)

12oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass

A: Pours a translucent light straw/urine color, with 1.5 fingers width of white head, which dissipates down very quickly to effectively nothing.  Leaves trace amount of spotty lacing. Tons of carbonation bubbles can be seen rising to the top of the glass, which would help the appearance if not for the completely unappealing base color.

S: Generic sweetness, some hop spice, lots of corn, a hay like characteristic, skunk/road kill (seriously).  Pretty gross.

T: Not much going on here.  A big generic sweetness, and traditional pilsner malt/ AAL flavors.   Not terrible at first but gets worse with every sip as the generic sweetness and adjunct flavors become more and more offensive.

M/D: Not as thin as I anticipated.  Medium bodied, with heavy carbonation.  The mouthfeel is somewhat syrupy, but not in a good way.  Drinkability is exceedingly low for the style.

O: I'm not really sure where this beer fits in the scheme of things.  I get that the point was to make a higher ABV bud light, but this seems to accentuate the negative qualities of both light beer and higher ABV beer.  It has the flavor profile of a heavy light adjunct lager, with the drinkability of a thicker, bad, high ABV beer.  If the goal is 'beer to get you drunk', it doesn't really work since the drinkability is so low. I could easily drink multiple coors lights before I would drink one of these.  If the goal was to make a more flavorful light beer, again it misses the mark as it does have MORE flavor, but the flavor is just plain bad.  This is a complete miss for me, and something I do think I would ever buy, no matter what the occasion.   (1,696 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -30.4%

Appearance
Poured from a pretty blue bottle, which successfully hides the "watered-down apple juice" look. It almost reminds me of apple wine mixed with carbonated water, a popular drink in Frankfurt, Germany. The complete lack of head completes the picture.

Smell
Typical macro-lager smell: corn, grains, and canned mushrooms. Nothing else to smell here, move along.

Taste
There is a slight hint of cheap beer up front, then a sweetness reminiscent of (again) apple juice, a split-second of slight bitterness, and then nothing. One of the most forgettable and un-beery taste profile's I've ever tried. But it lacks the urine-flavor many BMCs tend to have. That's good, right? Right?

Mouthfeel
I honestly can't stop comparing this to watered down apple juice. If someone told me that this was in fact 75% carbonated water and 25% apple juice, I'd believe it in a heartbeat.

Overall
Imagine Keystone Light, with a hint of apple juice and water from a can of canned corn. It's fizzy, forgettable, forthright fraudulent. This doesn't even go well with pizza. (1,060 characters)

1.58/5  rDev -30.4%

This beer was from a bomber lol. Served iced cold and in pint glass.

A- The body of the beer is well pale urine yellow. The head of the beer was white and immediately left. No lacing noted on the glass.

S- The aroma is lightly sweetened sort of like the water you would drain off of a bag of Uncle Bens instant rice. Not a hint of hops.

T- The flavor is a light grainy lightly sweetened flavor and nothing else. I bet this is what the water from an Uncle Bens instant rice boil taste like.

M- The body is light and fizzy.

O- Just a waste of money!... Nothing to reccomend and zero enjoyment. This is an alcohol delivery system and nothing else. (649 characters)

Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Light golden color, body is flat looking. White head very thin rising to 1/3".

Smell: have you smelled nothing, then you have smelled platinum.

Taste: light hops, ten again it a light beer. NOthing else going on even though it has a 6% ABV level you can't even taste any alcohol.

Mouth: slightly dry, and a little flat.

Overall: spend the extra bucks and get yourself something real, very bland and you will find better out there. Salud. (483 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -29.5%

What can I say, its a glorified Bud Light with a slightly higher alc content. Cool if you plan on playing beer pong or kings and a high school party. This beers a joke.

Appearance- Clear piss yellow sitting in a glass, should have kept it in the bottle. Absolutely no head, which is meh.

Smell- This has to be the worst part of the beer because I hate the way any BMC beer smells, which is cheap and corny.

Taste- I was surprised when I tried it at first, it had a little bit of a sharpness to it but not nearly enough to hide the bud light taste.

Overall- Do not waste your money and go for anything else. (612 characters)

1.61/5  rDev -29.1%

I bought a 6 pack and had them over a few days. They were born in Januaryof 2012.

Appearance: A pale gold or straw color. Poured into a pilsener glass and achieved about a finger of foam which quickly disappeared leaving no lacing. Fair carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass.

Smell: I am not being mean here. This smelled like detergent. Thought my glass may not have been rinsed completely but all six of them smelled the same.

Taste: There is very little taste. Slight hops but mostly nothing.

Mouthfeel: Thin. You can feel the alcohol on your tongue which at 6% you should. Finishes smooth and semi-dry.

Overall: This is disappointing. Even as a light lager this leaves a lot to be desired. There was a great deal of hype building up to this product being released but for me I won't be having this again. AB offers other light lagers that more pleasing than this one. (887 characters)

1.61/5  rDev -29.1%

Budweiser Light Platinum (2013) - At 6% ABV a Sam Adam's Light grade beer is expected if not more. With some 130 calories I'm saying to myself this has to have more flavor than Bud Light regular. On both counts I was wrong. A thick foamy head reduces too mild lacing. Very active carbonation. Think wheat aromas abound. Crystal clear yellow body with very wet mouthfeel. On the front of the palette there is very little taste to be had. Faint wheat and grass taste if that. Lots of water mid-palette. Very weak malt flavor. Back palette there is very faint hops and rice. I think weak Natty Ice. This is Bud Light alright and not much more. Actually it's horrible when you really think about it because as far as light beers go this has more calories than it should. Since a Guinness has less calories I'm at a loss why I'd even think to buy this over regular Bud Light since it's cheaper or Guinness since it's better tasting. Hell I could get Third Shift or Sam's Light for around the same price. If ABV is your thing-- Natural Ice or Milwaukee's Best has more taste, higher ABV, and is cheaper. So again-- what's the point. With Bud Black Crown I get it-- pay better for good Bud. But with this I don't get it. Pay more for a potent Bud Light with more calories? It's an ill place and no purpose beer. I rarely say this but 1 out of 5 stars. Pretend it's not even on the shelf. (1,380 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a light copperish yellow with some soapy head that fades away away quickly. The nose is fruity and smells like corn and apples. The taste is the same; grainy and sweet with corn and apple notes. The mouthfeel is very light and heavily carbonated.

It's flavor profile is incredibly light and is dominated by that apple-like off flavor. I didn't have high expectations so I won't say I'm disappointed. I'll be passing on this in the future. (445 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -28.2%

This is an interesting one. The most confusing part to me is how they are able to pass this as a light beer. it only has a handful of calories less than regular Budweiser. I think it would have made more sense to simply call it 'Budweiser Platinum'. I think the main purpose was to produce a beer with a slightly boosted ABV. Because that's what it tastes like. A Bud with some more alcohol. That makes it a better choice than Bud or Bud Light if you want to get wasted. It's redeeming qualites stop there i think. (514 characters)

1.65/5  rDev -27.3%

Poured into a standard pint glass, color is straw gold, head is 1/2'' thick, but dissipates immediately.

Smell is grainy, bland, corn, ugh.

Taste is all corn and awful grain - i'm going to pour out a portion of it.

Mouthfeel is way over caronated, too crisp and mixed with over sweetened - but not to balance or blend.

Overall, awful beer. (343 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -26.9%

What the hell were they thinking. This is one of the worst beers I have ever tasted. Fire the brewmaster and the idiots who approved this mess.I brewed an IPA and on my first shot it wasn't bad but I don't know what the hell they were trying to do with this one. (262 characters)

1.66/5  rDev -26.9%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours your typical AAL clear pale golden, with a quickly disappearing white one-finger head. Zero lacing.

Smell: Corn, and a weird chemical smell.

Taste: Similar to the smell, but not as horrifying...but close. All you taste are adjuncts, alcohol, and metal. Oh and an overwhelming sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp.

Overall: Not worth a try. Bud Light with more alcohol and sweetness. Ugh. (454 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -26%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

While this beer is crap, at least it has more alcohol than the other mass-produced swill that the big three makes. I first had this on a trip to California and couple of buddies and I split a 12 pack and we were not disappointed.

Overall, it's crap, mass produced beer, but if you're looking for a buzz, it's better than bud heavy/light. (338 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -25.1%

Eventually, you just can't put it off any longer. As much as I hate stupid BMC gimmicks, I feel the need to get this one out of the way. From what I understand, it's Bud Light with more alcohol in a sleek blue bottle; that's class.

It's about the same color as BL, extremely pale and light. A pure white head actually does develop to over a finger, even if it doesn't stay, but it does leave foam when it fades. There's very little lacing.
The nose isn't so bad; typical grains, corn husk, cereals, etc., with perhaps a little more green apple skin tartness.
Bud light didn't make me gag; it's just lame. This makes me gag. It's the same stuff in the foundation with more cooked vegetable, creamed corn, and rubbing alcohol. A puppy was just brutally murdered somewhere. A crow calls out to the dark night sky. Nobody hears. Really, though. I may vomit. From one sip. It's just sitting there.
What compounds the unholy terror of the flavor is what I would consider part of the mouthfeel: there's actually a burning sensation in my throat as soon as it hits. Minutes later, it still stings. WTF just happened? For this, I was not prepared.
Coming into this, I was expecting a (barely) boozier BL, not Bud Light Battery Acid & Turpentine.
I'm fairly certain I just developed diabetes (types 1 AND 2), ALS, and AIDS, and possibly chlamydia. (1,340 characters)

1107th Review on BA
Bottle to Pint glass
12 oz

Thank to my bowling team for buying this FN thing and for the headache for the next six hours later.

App- It's a very pale yellow with no head to speak of and no carbonation. Its stagnant like a pond no one goes to anymore and the wind doesn't blow.

Smell- I smelled so hard that the damn beer almost went in my nose like I was doing liquid blow. It was a touch malty, a touch sweet. It wasn't non-offensive just had no backbone to it.

Taste- I don't want to finish it. But I did since it was a gift. Slightly sweeter than a normal BL and thats kinda impressive in of itself. The booze is maxed but just had this weird butter/malty/sweet flavor that as I mentioned gave me a six hour headache. I was trying to see if it was that bad and it was. I don't understand how BMC sells so many beers?

M- Its slick and watery and had no body. It just left a bit of residual sweetness like a bad piece of corn.

D- No, I dont recommend this beer. Its a novelty act for a company trying to make more billions. It wasn't as offensive as Bud Light Lime, which isn't saying much but this was just not good. (1,145 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -25.1%

It might just be me, but this beer has a smell and taste that reminds me ever so faintly of the way nail polish remover smells. I found it pretty undrinkable, and poured it down the drain. (188 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -23.8%

I don't know. Temporary insanity. I am so conditioned to buy new singles at the supermarket that I don't think about the implications. Only after pouring that I even realized the bottle is blue glass like it's selling Zima or something. Can you even get Zima anymore? Anyhoo, yeah, this beer looks like apple juice, smells like nasty seltzer, and tastes like rusty carbonated water. It's terrible, but you knew that already. Just another gimmick to keep an old idea fresh for a minute. (485 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -23.8%

Cool cobalt blue bottle, it pours like most macros, a straw yellow, with a good head of foam.

The smell is as piss poor as any macro I've had. Huge grainy notes that put the fear in me of what this is going to taste like.

Okay, the taste is as bad, maybe worse, than I expected. Grain and a sickly sweetness plus the added abv make for a disaster, imho.

No need to comment on the mf and drinkability. This bottle is not worthy of my time and down the drain it goes. At least it was only 1 bottle that I bought. (513 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -23.8%

Pouted from a 12 oz bottle. Pours very pale straw color, crystal clear. There is ZERO head, and no lacing. There is more smell than most lagers, mostly grain and small flecks of citrus. No hops to speak of. Taste is much of the same, malted grain flavor, no alcohol on the palate, no hoppy bitterness. Fair for this style of beer. Feel is a bit odd. Feels much like tonic water, thin, wispy with loads of cola carbonation. This is the second Platinum I've tried, and it is my last. (481 characters)

1.75/5  rDev -22.9%

Bottle poured into a Crate & Barrel bar glass. No head to speak of. Pale yellow, similar in appearance to a standard Bud Light.

Not sure what the purpose of this beer is, other than to give fans of Bud Light and other macro lagers a quicker path to a buzz. Really doesn't have a pleasant flavor at all. Brought back memories of my days bar hopping on Thames St. Newport when I drank any cheap beer I could get my hands on.

My advice - if you want a decent light beer, spend a couple extra bucks and pick up some Sam Adams Light. (530 characters)

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch