Bud Light Platinum - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Platinum Alström Bros

2.01/5  rDev -9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

The time has come to finally review the lone bottle someone left at my parents house.

A- Pint glass pour from the blue bottle. Incredibly light color, an uber pale diluted yellow hue, clearly filtered. Small white head forms to about one finger in size and is foamy in texture. Cap retention is not very good and a thin ring leaves no lace at all. Beer ends up looking like juice.

S- Extremely faint and not much going on. Light grape-like/cidery fruit, bread and weak sugary hints. Really have to stress to get anything.

T- Hard to distinguish from any other Bud products I have had, it has been a while though. Bread and apple juice forward, not really in a pleasant way, sort of harsh. Yeast bread, rice adjuncts and something spicy (not sure if yeast or hops). It doesn't sound too bad but with any warmth at all, things just get more and more muddled and it get's more astringent.

MF- Extremely thin body with a ton of foamy carbonation and a light sweetness. Hint of bitterness but the overall feel is harsh, too much carbonation without anything else backing it up.

When ice cold this isn't terrible. Once it gets any warmth in it, it goes to hell. There is just an unpleasant spicy, adjunct flavor that doesn't work out. Not the worst beer I have ever had but nothing interesting here.

2.01/5  rDev -9%

I must admit that around the time of the Super Bowl last year I quickly fell prey to AB’s strong ad campaign for this new beer. Everything about it really drew me in from the blue bottle to the higher abv to the rampant commercials featuring my favorite songs. I was excited by the price and was hoping for a good beer available in six packs for the price of your average light beer. I would argue that this is a better drink than your typical Bud Light, but not remarkably so. It still has a watery, metallic taste to it, despite a slight sweetness. It’s the same yellowing-golden color as Bud Light and has a slightly thicker head which dissipates with such speed most might miss it, it also leaves no lacing. So Platinum pales in comparison to most high-class bottled beers, but the role that it fulfills as a step above your average light beer for college parties, I’d say it gets the job done. I also found that it sold very well initially, as the three liquor stores I frequent were almost always sold out of it by the weekend and the owners mentioned its popularity among everyone from young drinkers to middle-age, blue collar drinkers. The crossing of demographics is an important part of Ab’s success in much of its drinks. Finally, I will never tire of its cool blue bottle.

2.02/5  rDev -8.6%

Appearance: Very clear straw yellow color, had a small head about one finger thick after pouring

Smell: Typical light lager aromas. Grainy and corny aroma with a cereal odor to it as well

Taste: Very crisp but also very plain. Has the cheapness taste that regular Bud Light has

Mouthfeel: Very light, watered down. Very thin as well, not much of a feel to really speak of.

Overall: This beer has no real flavor to speak of, with a poor feel and not a great smell this beer ranks very low for me. I would rather drink Bud Light even with the lower ABV.

2.02/5  rDev -8.6%

Well, what can I say? I was thirsty as all-get-out, and it’s hotter than a Wookiee’s temper here in Atlanta. I decided to give it a try. Guess what - it exceeded my expectations. Crisp aroma is better than what I expected. It’s called Light, but it actually smells like beer! OK, not an outstanding aroma, but at least it doesn’t smell like water. It pours a rather typical clear, wan straw yellow with not much head. Flavor is nothing special - but as I said, better than what I expected from a mega-brewed light beer. Crisp, malty with a hint of fruit. Texture is fairly fizzy, smooth, average body. For a light beer, and a megabrewed pale lager, not half bad.

2.03/5  rDev -8.1%

A- Pours a very clear piss yellow with a 1 finger white head that fades instantly.

S- Almost no aroma. What there is smells of corn, sweet malts, booze and skunk. Thanks stupid blue bottle.

T- Sweet corn, malt an booze. No bitterness at all and a strange sweet metallic after taste.

M- VERY thin, watery texture and body. Smooth. Too much carbonation.

O- This beer is sort of baby malt liquer poorly done. Another crap product from Anheuser-Busch. This is one that I will avoid and would choose most other beers over this one.

Glass: Dimpled Mug

2.03/5  rDev -8.1%

A go to if I want to get drunk, or have a quick couple of brews while watching sports on the couch.

I think Bud Light is a little better flavor-wise but Platinum has the higher ABV. Nothing wrong with drinking these, cheap and easy to drink. Take Bud Light over Corona or Heineken ten times out of ten.

2.03/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Poured a clear pale yellow color, produces a small amount of head and no retention. Aroma of this Light Lager consists of bread and grain. Light in body, this brew has some slight grain flavor, mild hop bitterness and a warm finish. I'm not sure where AB is going with this beer, what category they are trying to fill, but i think it has less to do with beer style and more to do with trying to fill up shelf space. This will be another short lived failure by AB/INBEV.

2.03/5  rDev -8.1%

Oy. This is not a good beer. Like a slightly more bitter and funky Bud, which takes it from regular Bud's watery inoffensiveness into something more sinister and unappetizing.

Bud is trying to position it as some sort of "premium" beer, but once the novelty wears off really the only people buying it will be die-hard Budweiser loyalists who just want to get smashed without having to drink so many beers to get there. Or possibly the same loyalists who buy it for something more "upscale".

Either way it's just not worth the money, the headache, or the shame of buying it to experiment. Not even close.

2.03/5  rDev -8.1%

A: pale straw. Medium to heavy carbonation. Large bubbles. Transparent. Minimal head. Minimal retention.

S: super clean. Rice dominant. Borderline sake notes. Beyond that, non description cereal. Fairly comparable to regular bud light in this category.

T: fresh apple. Again, rice dryness. Minimal complexity. Very thin and simple.

M: very light. Even considering the pedigree.

O: a shot below mediocre. Easy to drink, but lacking any flavor., even compared to the regular AB products.

2.04/5  rDev -7.7%

2.05/5  rDev -7.2%

Blue glass bottle.

In the glass it is a pale clear yellow fizzy beer with next to no head.

Smell is grains and corn with some sweetness. Some malt and a detectable noble hop scent. It has a scent mostly soda crackers and corn.

Starts out sweet with a corn and crackers taste. Has a strange taste like that of a sorghum beer, sort of a cardboard taste. Tastes like there was some Oxidation in the grains used. Gets sweeter as you drink it, a bit annoying.

Mouthfeel is light.

Overall it is inferior to regular Bud lite. Too sweet and it has that annoying sorghum taste to it.

2.05/5  rDev -7.2%

I saw this during the Superbowl and recall finding it to be the most hilarious and entertaining commercial. Probably not what they intended.

Appearance: I poured this into a high class snifter; I usually reserve this for my good beers like Bourbon County Brand Stout or §ucaba. With a viscous pour I got a nice one inch thick virgin white head. The body is actually a nice looking golden hue. Looking back at the head and it's already gone. Like it was never there at all. I watch a bubble stream float it's way to the surface.

Smell: From a foot and a half away suddenly I'm not sitting in my home. I'm back in the action. My last cup still on the table with a ping pong ball in it. My partner already missed his one rebuttal. I bounce the ball on the table and look at my two opponents mocking me with various distracting poses. Shouts telling me to hurry up impede my focus. I bounce the ball again on the table and envision victory. My arm cocks back in a way that will be drilled into muscle memory for all time and I release... I take their cups from their side and raise it to my face in defeat.... that smell.... brings me back.

Taste: It's a "more flavor" bud-light. But is it a flavor you want? No. Well actually I've had worse beers. This beer taste bad in a blah way and now that there is more flavor you get that "Blah" taste even more.

Mouthfeel: I drank this beer very cold and very fast.

Overall: If I could go back in time and have the money I'd only play beer pong with this beer. It really hides the 6.0% very well.

2.06/5  rDev -6.8%

Felt bad to ask for a glass. So I didn't. It was free, thanks Valencio.

Smelled like apple and wet cardboard. Soggy grains, wet cereal.
Tasted similar, more apple and soggy graininess. It has a touch more malt flavor than standard issue Bud Light. Mild taste, flaccid feel, utterly dull and insipid flavor wise. Biting astringent carbonation, watery aftertaste. Pretty much bullshit any way you slice it... whee, liquid garbage.

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch