Bud Light Platinum - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Platinum Alström Bros
Reviews: 311 | Hads: 1,692
2.87/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

Bud Light Platinum.

I have probably drank at least five thousand of these things by the time I joined this site mid-way through my college years in 2012. My review was quite dickish and I sounded straight up snobby. SO.. 401 beers later I am ready to give this stuff a fair shake. Mind you, only at 401 because I took a two year hiatus ;).

Look - Ever so slight dark tint of golden yellow with a finger of white head that goes away so quickly if you blink you'll completely miss it. Not a single aspect of the head sticks around, so no lacing shall be present. Carbonation certainly looks high. 2.

Smell - A huge punch in the face of creamed corn and rice adjuncts. Cooked vegetables. Yep, it's an AAL alright. 2.5.

Taste - Y'know what, I'm going to be devils advocate here and say it really isn't THAT bad for what it is. Crisp and highly refreshing. Grassy notes all throughout with a pleasant creamed corn aspect. This one is actually quite smooth. 3.25

Feel - Very watery body with enough carbonation to set off a volcanic eruption. Seriously, the carbonation is as high as astronaught pussy. Nothing more to say here. 2.

Overall - If you ignore everything the average beer drinker doesn't care about ( Look,smell, and feel) you come up with an AAL that hits its niche. This truly is far from the worst thing I've ever had, and it is actually quite...pleasant...for its category. Yeah. So give it a shake for what it is and don't aimlessly bash it because it is the brew of choice for 70% of ' beer ' drinkers. Makes for a fine palate washer too. So..ignoring the aspects the average redneck pays no attention to...hold on. Remember, this is meant to be a low flavor, ' high to the average Joe ' alcohol beer that causes regrettable decisions, fist fights, good times, and gets college dudes laid. Anyway, 3.25 (1,823 characters)

Absolutely the worst tasting beer ever. It's also got a strange syrup like mouthfeel which doesn't pair well with the fact that it is supposed to be light. There's nothing premium or platinum here... (199 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -36%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

This stuff tastes like garbage. I was given one by a friend at a party, and decided to give it a shot. It's way too sweet and pretty gross. Although regular Bud Light isn't too flavorful, the upside is that the bad flavors are all pretty tame. In Bud Light Platinum, they're even stronger and worse. This beer tastes like it's been filtered through a skunk. Let the frat bros drink this one because I know I won't ever again. (425 characters)

1.11/5  rDev -51.3%

A good beer for emotionally distraught college girls who have never drank a good beer, but would like to spend a little extra money on a beer they think is premium but is actually the same shit as bud light. (207 characters)

2.6/5  rDev +14%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Is this a great beer, no. Does it stand out from the mass-produced American beers, yes. It is basically a pilsner that focuses heavily on ABV which causes it to lose depth and complexity in flavor and color. With that said, I still drink it regularly. It's inexpensive, goes down smooth and there are a lot of times I want a beer without having to work at having a beer. This is my go to when I'm in that kind of mood. (418 characters)

1.42/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

Pours a super light golden color with huge bubbly head that almost instantly vanishes. The adjunct aromas in this are the strongest and worst I've smelled in a macro. Goes down pretty harsh and taste is taste putrid. Probably the worst adjunct I've ever had. No redeeming qualities here. (287 characters)

How this is only ranked one point higher than Miller Lite I'll never know. It has a lot more flavor than Miller Lite and the hint of sweetness is pretty nice. (159 characters)

1.7/5  rDev -25.4%

It might just be me, but this beer has a smell and taste that reminds me ever so faintly of the way nail polish remover smells. I found it pretty undrinkable, and poured it down the drain. (188 characters)

1.82/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

A friend left it in the fridge. Decided, I would try to see what brewed the Hard Way was all about. Half way through the beer, I accidentally knocked my glass over and broke it. I think God was sending me a message. (218 characters)

3.68/5  rDev +61.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Clear, pale-yellow appearance. Thin, white head that vanishes quickly. Grainy aroma with a bit of apple, and maybe the slightest hint of hops. The taste is mellow and kinda fruity. Crisp and refreshing. The finish is dry with a touch of sweetness. Overall, I enjoy this one. I will buy it again, but not often given the price it goes for in my area. Worth a try if you enjoy this style of beer.

12 oz can
Code on can: 14355 CZ33
Served in a Pilsner glass (455 characters)

1.49/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Pours a thin yellow with a fizzy head. Smells slightly metallic with a lot of alcohol. The taste is just bud light with a bit more alcohol on the finish. Not a fan of the beer but I can see why it's popular. (207 characters)

2.73/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

My beer quaffing has not been good for the old waist line, and I'm actually growing a little weary of dense, heavy brews, so I thought I'd try some light beer for a change up. This stuff struck my curiosity, with the high ABV but low calories.

Poured from the blue bottle into a shaker pint. A moderate pour produces about an inch of froth, which proves sticky enough. The beer is a pale straw color with high carbonation.

You can really smell the adjuncts- plenty of DMS, suggesting cooked corn, along with a bite of alcohol fruitiness. The overall flavor is a quite a bit more reasonable, but quite watery as you might expect. Just a tiny little bit of earthy bitterness. Watery mouth feel with a clean finish.

This is basically a light malt liquor, and rather unique as it is. It's not very flavorful but it's also not terrible. This beer would be good for someone who likes light lagers but wants a bit more kick. (928 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +55.7%

Better than regular Bud Light. A little more body, and flavor. I guess the little extra alcohol content helps it. Don't let the low ratings fool you. It a pretty good drink. (175 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +49.1%

Finally found a cheap beer that is decent enough to border on enjoyable. Smooth on the front, slightly sweet and ever so slightly spicy on the finish. Almost as if they made a 50/50 mix of club soda and duvel. For a dollar more for a 12 pack then regular bud light, thus definitely will be my go to party session beer. (318 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -24.1%

Pouted from a 12 oz bottle. Pours very pale straw color, crystal clear. There is ZERO head, and no lacing. There is more smell than most lagers, mostly grain and small flecks of citrus. No hops to speak of. Taste is much of the same, malted grain flavor, no alcohol on the palate, no hoppy bitterness. Fair for this style of beer. Feel is a bit odd. Feels much like tonic water, thin, wispy with loads of cola carbonation. This is the second Platinum I've tried, and it is my last. (481 characters)

Looks great, but not a lot of taste but very drinkable and pretty much everyone will drink it. Basically a stronger version that taste almost the same as bud light but for a more stressful day. (194 characters)

Very light clear straw color, pours with almost no head, but does leave some lacing behind.

Smells slightly skunky, with some barley.

Taste is mainly barley, a little sweet. Really not too bad.

Light bodied, thin and watery, rather high carbonation.

Actually surprised it wasn't worse. (289 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +64.5%

I feel most of the poor reviews come from people comparing this to craft beers. This is not a craft beer and it isn't trying to be one. This is a beer for BBQs and hot days. It's crisp, clean, easy to drink and doesn't weigh you down. It also is good for night life because is doesn't make you as tired as other heavier beers. For it's purpose I feel this is a pretty decent beer. (380 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -18.9%

Bud Light Platinum : Yes I give it a try to the Bud Light name.
So the look of it is really light. Nothing much to say about it. Very clear, light carbonation.
The smell of it? like a budweiser
The taste of it? Like my dishwasher with more sugar and more alcohol. Personally I drunk only 1 can and it was already enough. My head start to feel heavy. Very chemical beer.
So overall would I recommend it ? Fuck NO, (412 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +38.2%

Jeeez! you would think this stuff is brewed with toxic waste and camel piss from so many of the ultra Poor reviews here on "Beer SNOB Advocate" ...why is it that so many of you yuppie scumbag morons have to slag EVERY single American made "Macro Lager" there is? hey,I am NOT a "Light Beer" guy,and I drink ALL kinds of Beers/ales,in fact in my fridge right now I have ,"Ballast Point Sculpin & Big Eye IPA,Sierra Nevada Pale ale,Torpedo,and Celebration,Porter & stout,also have some olde English 800,colt 45,Schlitz malt liquor" OML" and a bunch of Macro Lagers too~ Bud/Coors/Pabst/Schlitz...I LOVE all kinds of beer is my point, but reading some [most] of the reviews here about "Bud Light Platinum" it makes me really hate all you "Beer Snobs" even more,so it is not a gr8 beer,but for a light American made Macro lager,it is not bad @ all,I would 4sure serve this beer @ BBQ's,with steamed shrimp/Crabs,or any sort of get together where all you want is a cold ,crisp,refreshing beer that does not weigh you down or fill you up,and as far as "Light Beers" go..I actually like this one quite a bit, STOP rating beers the WRONG way yuppie scum,rate them for their style,and do not compare them to your favorite Craft Beer that cost 20 bucks a 6er! hope all yer BMW's blow a piston~whiny clowns... (1,300 characters)

2.5/5  rDev +9.6%

From the bottle.
Smell: Very faint malt.
Taste: Sweet and that's it. Like drinking watered down vodka (which is basically what this is). Body: None, moderate carbonation.
Overall: Flavourless brew. Drinkable, but only because it tastes like sweet water and nothing else. (270 characters)

1.5/5  rDev -34.2%

I do not enjoy this beer, very sweet, almost tastes like regular bud light had a baby with Sweet & Low. The red bull like cans are a turn off as well, I think. (159 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -11%

A go to if I want to get drunk, or have a quick couple of brews while watching sports on the couch.

I think Bud Light is a little better flavor-wise but Platinum has the higher ABV. Nothing wrong with drinking these, cheap and easy to drink. Take Bud Light over Corona or Heineken ten times out of ten. (304 characters)

Bud Light Platinum
16. oz. can, coded "14226 SH23"

Poured into a clean glass Bud Light Platinum delivers a nice looking pint with a straw gold body beneath a short head of bright white foam. The head drops readily but maintains a solid surface covering. The lacing is limited but it does leave some nice craggy splashes behind.

The aroma is clean, and expresses only sweetish adjunct malt with a hint of apple-like fruitiness.

The flavor is quite a surprise! My initial impression was that it tasted like a malt liquor... a watered down malt liquor, but one with that sweetish adjunct-laden maltiness that lingers in the mouth because there are very little hops present. It's fruity and sweet, without any noticeable hop flavors at all, and a very low bitterness level to balance it out. Odd.

In the mouth it's medium bodied and smooth with a very moderate carbonation. If I hold the glass to the light I can see tiny bubbles steadily streaming upwards but there are not nearly as many as might be expected, especially for a light beer, which should be crisp.

So what's going on here? If you read the can it states that it's 6.0% ALC./VOL., which is very odd for a light beer, and it's also got 137 calories and 4.4 grams of carbs per 12 oz. serving (thank you A-B for including that, sincerely). I had to get my head around this so I put together a list:

110 calories in Bud Light @ 4.2% abv
137 calories in Bud Light Platinum @ 6.0% abv
145 calories in Budweiser @ 5.0% abv
158 calories in Hurricane @ 5.8% abv

So what we have here is basically a 'light malt liquor'. Is this a new American style of beer?

Unless the cost difference between Hurricane Malt Liquor and Bud Light Platinum is pretty great, I can't imagine anyone going for the Hurricane. The Bud Light Platinum is clean, and actually delivers a slightly bigger punch.

So how to rate this? I generally look at the whole world of beer as a guideline, meaning that there are poorly made beers that suffer from defects, and then there are pristine examples of certain styles that have a certain 'je ne said quoin' of magic to them that exemplify the 'creme de la creme'. An OK beer then scores a "3" as a "3" is average, and on that world-scale a standard Budweiser scores a bit higher at about 3.5. As far as a 'light malt liquor' goes I think this is really the only one. Compared to other malt liquors it's pretty damned good, but if we look at it just as 'a beer' thrown into the world mix it comes out short. I think for what it is it's not bad. I find no defects with it, and I thought it was much more drinkable than a lot of malt liquors.

I'm not sure I have an answer to this one yet, but I'm gonna stick with "okay" until something else pops up. (2,730 characters)

1.09/5  rDev -52.2%

If only it was made of platinum, you could take it to one of those coin and jewelry stores and sell it! can tell any difference from regular Bud Light, I do like the velvet finish of this beer that's about it. (209 characters)

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch