Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Bud Light Platinum - Anheuser-Busch

Bud Light PlatinumBud Light Platinum

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Platinum Alström Bros
Reviews: 314 | Hads: 1,725

A-very clear straw color with a white head that fades fast
S-sweet grain aroma with a hint of noble hops
T-sweet grain taste that stays with you til the finish, but the alcohol seems to take away the sweetness in the end
M-light body with okay carbonation
O-for this beer to be 6% ABV you cannot taste the alcohol, but you know it is there

1.41/5  rDev -37.6%

The beer poured pale with a healthy dose of carbonation. Didn't look terrible, but didn't give the extra frothy head you'd hope to see that resembles a cartoonish poor of a standard issue American Pilsner.

Very stylish blue bottle with platinum writing that looks like it should contain some uber-hipster vodka as opposed to a "top shelf" beer. I can see people drinking this in some trendy club listening to Zombie Nation, or lunkheads in college raving about "DUDE IT HAS MORE ALCOHOL" before downing a dozen of them and ralphing up a chunky blend of cafeteria processed chicken patties and this unflattering swill.

Drank it out of a bottle, but it still tasted like I sipped it from a rusty can. Tastes very similar to Bud Light but filtered through a cheesecloth lined with old pennies. They somehow made Bud Light worse,

I guess it is what it is, and I wasn't expecting anything great, or good, or passable, or tolerable. Yeah it's pretty bad.

Strongest recommendation to avoid. Try seltzer water, but instead of fresh water some type of recycled gray water sitting in a boiler room basin

1.68/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

While this beer is crap, at least it has more alcohol than the other mass-produced swill that the big three makes. I first had this on a trip to California and couple of buddies and I split a 12 pack and we were not disappointed.

Overall, it's crap, mass produced beer, but if you're looking for a buzz, it's better than bud heavy/light.

2.55/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours nicely. A little swirl leaves a nice bubbly film. Not a lot of head. Easy to drink. Nice high ABV for a light beer. Smells like a lemony kitchen. Taste is very light with a bit of citrus. Very drinkable. No depth of taste. Not complex. Taste doesn't stick around long. The thing I liked the most is it is refreshing, better than water, comes in a nice blue bottle, the cap screws off, and it is easy to feel that it has a considerable ABV.

2.7/5  rDev +19.5%

Appearance – Light yellowish-orange in the body with a moderate head.

Smell – This is a nice, light grainy nose without anything offensive.

Taste – There’s a little mold in that grain at the taste but not so much that you can’t drink through it. Of course the hops are completely absent.

Mouthfeel – This is light as it should be with a mild carbonation, not too fizzy like some poor macro examples of the style.

Drinkability – If you’re eating something salty this isn’t bad but as with most Buds it can’t stop up on its own.

1.41/5  rDev -37.6%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Poured for bottle into a pint glass

A- Watered down apple juice but with a lot of bubbles and small white head

S- Almost no aroma to speak of but slight cracker and the smallest hop aroma apart from it's normal version

T- About the same as the nose like drinking fizzy water that makes you drunk, which is the point of this thing, right?

M- I guess as thin and drinkable as water can be only you'd have to stop once you fell on the floor from being too drunk, which I'm sure has happened with this beer.

O- I drank this cuz my sister who doesn't like beer bought a 6-pack, drank 4 and didn't want the other 2. Would never buy this, although it's not the worst Bud offering I've had, that goes to Bud Select. About the only thing going for this is that it comes in a cool blue bottle, yay! Welp, now I guess I'll rinse my mouth out and pop open that St. Bernardus Abt 12.

3.75/5  rDev +65.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Disclaimer: I am an avid home brewer who is currently on a short hiatus due to a move (to St. Louis) so I've had to resort to buying beer.

A: I've only ever consumed it directly from a can. I would ASSUME it's like light straw based on taste (or lack of). Would also assume little to no head. I don't feel right pouring this beer.

S: Very little. A little yeast and a little grain. I don't detect hops. 0 off odors. Not great not bad.

T: Honestly I didn't think a 6% beer would have so little taste. I've been told by a brewery employee that this beer is 'nano-filtered' to remove much of the color and flavor. However, while there is a lack of flavor, there is absolutely 0 off flavors. It's really clean and refreshing.

M: Thin but highly carbonated.

O: At 137 calories for 6% this isn't much more than carbonated alcohol water. If you consider what is is though I think it's a technically excellent brew. Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, but something with no flavor can't taste bad. I like it since on occasion i do prefer a dry beer with a kick. Drinking it side by side with Bud Light I don't find a strong resemblance. If only they added strawberry or lime flavoring to this stuff... just kidding.

EDIT: I learned a few interesting things about this beer from a former AB employee who worked on the production floor in STL: This beer is brewed with HFCS to bump the gravity without adding flavor. Also, it is packaged with a small amount of HFCS (mere grams) to give it a subtle sweetness. Also it is filtered with diatomaceous earth, and not a 'nano' filter.

EDIT 2: The more I drink this beer the more it grows on me. It is now my go-to light beer. I'd like to see more people on here review it for its style, rather than just giving it a 2 because it's made by AB. DON'T HATE!

BLP literally tastes like regular Bud Light with an infused metallic taste that I couldn't shake. I have no idea how some casual drinkers find this to actually be an improvement over Bud Light or Budweiser but these people seem to think that its ABV of 6% makes it superior. They're all poor excuses for beer and BLP is probably the worst of them. Luckily I tried it for free from a friend and I would recommend absolutely not wasting your hard-earned money on this garbage.

2.1/5  rDev -7.1%

It IS slightly less bad than regular bud light; however, the reason for BLP is not for drinking enjoyment, it is to impress random bar skanks and give the impression you're too well off and sophisticated to be drinking regular swill like the commoners. Needs to have "It'll getcha laid" below the bud light logo.

1.94/5  rDev -14.2%

Pours a clear gold with a foamy bone head that settles to tiny wisps of film on top of the beer. No lacing on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, and some fruity but vegetal aromas. Taste is much the same with fruity, grassy, and corn-like flavors on the finish. There is a very mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very poor beer that is slightly better than regular Bud Light but that isn't really hard to do.

1.61/5  rDev -28.8%

Budweiser Light Platinum (2013) - At 6% ABV a Sam Adam's Light grade beer is expected if not more. With some 130 calories I'm saying to myself this has to have more flavor than Bud Light regular. On both counts I was wrong. A thick foamy head reduces too mild lacing. Very active carbonation. Think wheat aromas abound. Crystal clear yellow body with very wet mouthfeel. On the front of the palette there is very little taste to be had. Faint wheat and grass taste if that. Lots of water mid-palette. Very weak malt flavor. Back palette there is very faint hops and rice. I think weak Natty Ice. This is Bud Light alright and not much more. Actually it's horrible when you really think about it because as far as light beers go this has more calories than it should. Since a Guinness has less calories I'm at a loss why I'd even think to buy this over regular Bud Light since it's cheaper or Guinness since it's better tasting. Hell I could get Third Shift or Sam's Light for around the same price. If ABV is your thing-- Natural Ice or Milwaukee's Best has more taste, higher ABV, and is cheaper. So again-- what's the point. With Bud Black Crown I get it-- pay better for good Bud. But with this I don't get it. Pay more for a potent Bud Light with more calories? It's an ill place and no purpose beer. I rarely say this but 1 out of 5 stars. Pretend it's not even on the shelf.

1.37/5  rDev -39.4%

take the watery extract flavors of a bud light and add the burning stomach churning effect of grain alcohol, and you have a bud light platinum. as much as I hate the politics, marketing, and desired demographic (see my black crown review), I also hate the beer. it just tastes awful, metallic and boozy, yet somehow still diluted. its a mess from top to bottom. if it had no taste it would have a passable mouthfeel, that's about it. upbeat carbonation and a lighter body, but it cant save a beer that tastes more like a caustic chemical reaction than an honest brew for human consumption. I have no interest in ever consuming one of these again. it had the profound effect of bringing me from craving a beer badly to instantly not wanting to drink anymore, they should treat alcoholics with this wash, might turn them off too. id honestly rather drink any dirty 40 from the gas station than have another one of these. steer clear.

1.96/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Pours a pale straw color with a fizzy pure white head that settles into a slight cap. Fizzy yellow beer.

The mason jar seems to collect and amplify the odor of the beer. Very grainy and sulfur like; grassy and veggies. Kind of a musty alcohol vapor. Quite unpleasant.

The taste is better but not much. Its light and has a sweet corny straw flavor. Some sulfur.

The feel is light with fizzy carbonation. Sweet on the palate. Perhaps a shade heavier than normal bud light.

A boozier marketing driven beer. What's the point.

1.75/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

This beer is trying to be a "real beer". the 6% scheme is kind of a joke. This beer smells bad. like really bad. it is pretty smooth but it still tastes pretty skunky. There is no fizz to it which is weird considering Budweiser and Bud light are pretty fizzy

1.87/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Take a Bud Light, add some medicinal alcohol taste to it and a hint of metallic. Wrap it up in a pretty bottle that looks like a credit card and market the hell out of it as premium. My question to Anheiser is if this is the premium, than what the hell is Bud Light?

Anheiser seems to think that you can just relabel sub par beer and market it but the growing rise in micro and craft beers is finally starting to chip away at them. I hope the pace continues. because this is a less than stellar beverage and barely drinkable. I've had a bottle in the fridge for over 7 months because no one will drink it.

2.07/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

So my nephew brought a sixer of this over. Never reviewed it so here goes.

Completely clear pale yellow with a thin white cap. Lots of effervescence. The aroma brings some grain, alcohol, not much else. The flavor is really a disappointment, even plummeting beyond my low expectations. Perhaps a redeeming quality of a macro lager with no integrity is the drinkability, especially at cold temperatures. Chasing hot wings and pizza with BMC products seems to be a lasting trend here in America, which is unfortunate. Bud Platinum, however, offers no drinkability. This beer is a headache waiting to happen, and can only be tolerated at refrigerator temperatures. Why increase the abv on a mediocre (at best) beer? Because it sells. Stupid. Avoid.

2.24/5  rDev -0.9%

Drinkin this shit on a metaphorically cloudy night. Out the bottle so no head, no color, aroma of faint pale malts, subtle cheap dry hop bitterness. Taste is smoother carbo than Bud Light, pretty much the same flavor as the Godhead (bud,miller,coors). I'm guessing the only things that make this beer better is the less crispy carbo and the slightly higher booze. Other than that, the brewery with its platinum bullsh, can go eat a chode.

2.26/5  rDev 0%

One finger head fades quickly. Almost totally clear yellow color. Appears very watered down. Smells like a cheap beer. Average taste. Goes down smooth but lacks any depth. Overall It's basically bud light with more alcohol in it. It tastes almost exactly the same. Good because of the extra alcohol but its still as watered down as every Budweiser beer ever.

Tastes like the nastiest medicinal synthetic chemical I've ever imbibed. How on earth did their R&D dept let this one slide thru. I love bud light and bud light ice, but I almost hurled on first sip. Seriously??? I emptied all 6 bottles down the drain without hesitation. Even if I were soif'in' in a desert I wouldn't drink this crap.

2.56/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Seemed an appropriate single to try on the 4th of July, but saddens me to state that my favourite part is far and away the bottle - less weight in packaging has to be a good thing, but not certain this ill-flavoured "mostly water" needs to be transported at all?

Pours a bright golden colour with a clean white head and lots of continuous carbonation. Has a sweet, almost cloying, aroma of "grains", albeit more rice and corn than barley. No sign of the biscuity breadiness I'd expect in a genuine lager. Taste is very sweet and syrupy, and doesn't balance well with the 6% ABV. Aftertaste lingers longer than I would choose...

Glad to have tried it, but sad to have purchased it and will decline any future drinking opportunities!

3.02/5  rDev +33.6%

Pours clear pale gold with one finger of white head. There are specks of lace here and there.
Smell is rather forward apple juice.
Taste is sweet apple juice that is watered down. No detectable bitterness whatsoever.
Kind of reminds me of those sweet apple juice based champagne substitutes people drink to avoid alcohol only less sweet. No hint of alcohol either.
Mouthfeel is crisp and light. Very slight drying effect in the finish.
Overall a tasty carbonated ultra light beverage. Well recommended for those who hate the taste of beer and want to get happy rather quickly. Keep this stuff away from little kids please. I think they would guzzle it down thinking it was some type of child beverage like carbonated apple juice! The can is strange too, my son says it looks like an energy drink, tall and skinny.

2.45/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a handglass.

A: Light hay. Pours a 1 finger, bubbly white head. Quickly dissipates. Tons of carbonation clings to the sides of the glass. No lacing.

S: Hay and yeast.

T: Sourdough bread, grass, an indistinct sweetness, some pungent wood, and a little soap.

M: Light body. Synthetically sweet aftertaste.

D: Session.

Atmosphere is unexciting. Washed-out hue, bubbly head, a bit over carbonated, no real lacing. Yeasty hay nose. Flavor is sourdough bread, with a bit of a soapy sweetness. Overall, this is not such a great quaff.

2.27/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Regretfully poured into my Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass. 22oz bottle bought for something like $2.19 at the liquor store.

Appearance: That infamous beer piss yellow. Finger or two of head fizzles away very fast. No lacing. Serious carbonation coming from the etching on the bottom of the glass. Probably the worst beer I've ever seen.

Smell: Sweet. Corn aromas. Just very sweet. Doesn't smell bad, but it does smell cheap ... which I guess is bad. I don't know. Not much going on.

Taste/feel: Again, really sweet... this really just. Doesn't taste like beer. It tastes like a beer flavored pop/soda/whatever you want to call it. I guess it sort of does have an apple sort of flavor after reading some reviews... kind of does taste like watered down apple juice. It goes down easy, there's nothing off about it with any weird notes, it's cheap... but this isn't a beer aficianado's beer.

I probably wouldn't buy it again just because I was embarrassed enough the first time. Any self-respecting brewmaster should know that beer doesn't really belong in anything but a brown bottle. Very little flavor, but nothing offensive about it. A little better than Bud Light.

It would be fine if it was considered cider or a wine cooler or something like that, but how the hell is this considered a beer? Sure as hell doesn't taste much like one to me.

1.88/5  rDev -16.8%

Pours golden with a thin head that struggles to be a slight wisp for a little while before disappearing. No real lacing sticks.

The smell is of cheap malt liquor - some grain, some alcohol.

The taste is sweet and slimy. Alcohol shows. Not much in the way of flavor.

It is slick in an oily way with some carbonation and a lingering alcohol taste.

This is ridiculous. A boozy, light beer.

Someone gave me this. I'm glad I didn't buy it.

2.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Was at a BBQ and ran out of my Sculpin, so I was given this. Never had it, so what the heck, right? Other friend told me to turn in my man card. Found out this was in his fridge for close to a year (improvement?)

Drank it from bottle, so no clue about the appearance.

Not much of a smell here.

Bland front, with a sweetish back. Nothing major.

Carbonated, but not overly

Overall, it really wasn't THAT bad. Best of all the Bud products I've ever had, which isn't saying much. I would say one and done on this one.

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch