2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bud Light Platinum - Anheuser-Busch

Bud Light PlatinumBud Light Platinum

awful

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Ratings: 1,177 | Reviews: 273 | Show All Ratings:
SometimesIfart

1.4/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This is my second review of Bud Light Platinum. Comparing this to my new found love of IPA's, Let's see what we get. Poured from a mini keg into a lager glass. Pours a piss yellow with half a finger's worth of foamy head, Leaving absolutely no lacing. The smell was horrendous. Rotten corn, Vomit, and some stale rice. The taste wasn't much better. Some chemical grain, the faintest amount of malt, and perhaps some rubbing alchohol? Tasted horrendous compared to crafts. The mouthfeel was a heavy metallic flavor with even more of what seemed like burning chemicals coming through. This beer is not smooth whatsoever. Overall, This is absolute garbage, And I am glad that I had finally made the choice to start exploring REAL beer. I cannot believe I used to drink this slop and enjoy it.

08-04-2012 20:34:12 | More by SometimesIfart
jettjon

2.53/5  rDev +14%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bud Light Platinum for my 600th review? Fuck yeah! Bar pour into a pint glass yields zero head with tiny bits of foam. Super clarity with great carbonation. Nose is sweet with artificial fruity flavors, a bit bready, and grassy. Taste is sweet and bready, with “malt beverage” written all over it. Mouth is crisp and bubbly.

Overall: Not bad. Budweiser has hit a home run with this product I think, for it does precisely what (some) consumers want: Deliver an assload of alcohol in a light, inoffensive, and even trendy-wicked-cool package. Touché, Inbev.

05-08-2012 23:17:26 | More by jettjon
courtney80

Nebraska

4.39/5  rDev +97.7%

I prefer this to my normal bud light now. I always liked normal Budlight in the past over anything else. And now I have a new go to beer. My only reason is the 6.0 Alcohol content. To me it taste like Budlight with a kick and that's what I love. Now 2 or 3 bottles is all I need instead of 5 or 6..

03-28-2014 00:22:10 | More by courtney80
nicholas2121

3.6/5  rDev +62.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bud Light Platinum brewed by Anheuser-Busch with and abv of 6.0. Now first off this brew is not a light beer. The Abv to this brew is to high to be 6.0. Most American style light lagers have an abv of 4.2. This is more like an ICE Beer. Bud Light Platinum pours out of the can a nice amber color with a small white head. The smell is that of american style lager but sweeter. An you can smell the alcohol in this brew. Right off the bat you taste the 6.0 abv- but it is smooth and crisp. The fact of the matter is it drinks like a light beer,but it has a kick. This brew has more to it than Bud Light, but it not as much as Budweiser. It is right in middle of the two. I like how it is smooth ,but the alcohol taste brings this brew down. Overall, I'm giving this brew a 4 out 5. I would get this brew again.

03-21-2014 03:25:23 | More by nicholas2121
Zepaw

3.95/5  rDev +77.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

It's total piss water but it's my favorite piss water. It's nothing special but fills the need when I'm looking for a simple drink to enjoy. Understated but good tasting flavor. It's not something I would give a sterling recommendation of but would suggest people with a light taste give a try.

03-13-2014 19:06:47 | More by Zepaw
Retroman40

Kentucky

2.24/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Just imagine Bud Light with 6% ABV instead of just a little over 4.3%. It still pours out a straw color with a fleeting head that goes flat instantly (and in a clean glass). The smell and taste of very neutral with no hops at all. As expected, the mouth feel is thin. My recommendation is that if you want something with 6% ABV from ABI, go with King Cobra as a 24 oz. can of "The King" goes for about half of at double deuce of BLP.

Overall this beer is perfect if you like Bud Light and want to "get lit quick". It's too bad that one of the coolest bottles around has to come filled with this stuff.

02-28-2014 09:40:44 | More by Retroman40
MarkSmith86

Wisconsin

3.56/5  rDev +60.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

for a spin off of bud light, this platinum is got a little kick to it.. i do not understand that it is still labeled as a light beer because its 6.0% alcohol by volume. But other than that, the color looks like bud light, the smell is very strong of alcohol in my opinion. The taste and mouthfeel is bold,crisp,clean and very drinkable beer/malt liquor.

02-25-2014 04:18:27 | More by MarkSmith86
bnes09

3.03/5  rDev +36.5%

Light straw colored lager. Completely transparent. Descent head after a rough pour. Better retention than expected and actually has a few spots of lacing.

Smells is super clean. Rice, white corn and a touch of citrus fruits.

Flavor, again, clean. Mostly rice. Mildly citric hop does a descent job balancing the nearly non-existent malt character. Crisp, clean finish. No rough aftertaste. Alcohol is virtually indetectable.

Light as light can be. Absolutely zero body or texture. Thinner than water. Descent carbonation. Wet feel throughout.

Crisp, clean and refreshing with no off tastes. That's about all the positives I can say about this beer. For an American adjunct light lager, its very slightly better than average.

02-02-2014 21:14:50 | More by bnes09
thecheapies

2.78/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Very light, straw-colored beer with a short-lived fizz-up, like something out of a commercial. What's left after thirty seconds? A tiny ring and spotty surface foam.

Crisp, and somewhat clean, adjunct grain aromas. Rice is a guess. Well-lagered. Smooth with hints of husks and steeliness. Not very bright.

Sharp and a little sweet. Cooked veggies, husky grain, fusel, and a kiss of pseudo-floral hop bite. Easy to drink. 6% might seem invasive for a Bud Light drinker, but this has a good sensibility to its strength. Has some body to work with, if not, too wooly and/or oily for an adjunct lager. Dial down the carbonation, or maybe just distribute it a bit, and you have a decent feel, strangely enough. Put-together like a science experiment, it really could be a solid go-to for pale lager drinkers.

01-23-2014 15:31:26 | More by thecheapies
leonGomez

1.78/5  rDev -19.8%

Someone brought a pack of these beers to my house and I was a little excited to try something new. Being that it was Bud I knew what to expect and I wasn't disappointed. Not too much can be written on this one that hasn't already been written on Bud Light...except that it has 6.0% ABV. I you like the rest of the Bud crap then you will love this one. Otherwise only drink it if its free. Or if your dying of thirst in the desert and this was the only thing around. Actually just drink your own urine.

No need to do all that fancy review $*@!

01-11-2014 05:02:29 | More by leonGomez
Mike_Moe

3.3/5  rDev +48.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Light straw color white small shot lasting head.
Aroma: Non-distinct beer smell
Flavor: Very light malt taste. Smooth flavorful beer. Has medium light watery body, with a smooth carbonation.
Overall: I give this beer a B-grade based only it’s style. Not being a fan of light beer, I happened to sample one at a family cook out. To my surprise this beer has a nice flavor. With the body of carbonated water, its too light for my taste. Although it boast 6% ABV it's  not noticed in the taste, nor body.

01-03-2014 06:31:16 | More by Mike_Moe
a0lbudman

Alabama

A-very clear straw color with a white head that fades fast
S-sweet grain aroma with a hint of noble hops
T-sweet grain taste that stays with you til the finish, but the alcohol seems to take away the sweetness in the end
M-light body with okay carbonation
O-for this beer to be 6% ABV you cannot taste the alcohol, but you know it is there

12-29-2013 03:46:15 | More by a0lbudman
MikeyBadnews

1.41/5  rDev -36.5%

The beer poured pale with a healthy dose of carbonation. Didn't look terrible, but didn't give the extra frothy head you'd hope to see that resembles a cartoonish poor of a standard issue American Pilsner.

Very stylish blue bottle with platinum writing that looks like it should contain some uber-hipster vodka as opposed to a "top shelf" beer. I can see people drinking this in some trendy club listening to Zombie Nation, or lunkheads in college raving about "DUDE IT HAS MORE ALCOHOL" before downing a dozen of them and ralphing up a chunky blend of cafeteria processed chicken patties and this unflattering swill.

Drank it out of a bottle, but it still tasted like I sipped it from a rusty can. Tastes very similar to Bud Light but filtered through a cheesecloth lined with old pennies. They somehow made Bud Light worse,

I guess it is what it is, and I wasn't expecting anything great, or good, or passable, or tolerable. Yeah it's pretty bad.

Strongest recommendation to avoid. Try seltzer water, but instead of fresh water some type of recycled gray water sitting in a boiler room basin

cheers!

12-27-2013 03:02:53 | More by MikeyBadnews
RingoBro

1.69/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

While this beer is crap, at least it has more alcohol than the other mass-produced swill that the big three makes. I first had this on a trip to California and couple of buddies and I split a 12 pack and we were not disappointed.

Overall, it's crap, mass produced beer, but if you're looking for a buzz, it's better than bud heavy/light.

12-12-2013 19:04:51 | More by RingoBro
seanlanefuller

Tennessee

2.5/5  rDev +12.6%

Pours nicely. A little swirl leaves a nice bubbly film. Not a lot of head. Easy to drink. Nice high ABV for a light beer. Smells like a lemony kitchen. Taste is very light with a bit of citrus. Very drinkable. No depth of taste. Not complex. Taste doesn't stick around long. The thing I liked the most is it is refreshing, better than water, comes in a nice blue bottle, the cap screws off, and it is easy to feel that it has a considerable ABV.

11-02-2013 00:54:08 | More by seanlanefuller
RoyalT

2.68/5  rDev +20.7%

Appearance – Light yellowish-orange in the body with a moderate head.

Smell – This is a nice, light grainy nose without anything offensive.

Taste – There’s a little mold in that grain at the taste but not so much that you can’t drink through it. Of course the hops are completely absent.

Mouthfeel – This is light as it should be with a mild carbonation, not too fizzy like some poor macro examples of the style.

Drinkability – If you’re eating something salty this isn’t bad but as with most Buds it can’t stop up on its own.

09-27-2013 22:27:52 | More by RoyalT
PaulyB83

1.4/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Poured for bottle into a pint glass

A- Watered down apple juice but with a lot of bubbles and small white head

S- Almost no aroma to speak of but slight cracker and the smallest hop aroma apart from it's normal version

T- About the same as the nose like drinking fizzy water that makes you drunk, which is the point of this thing, right?

M- I guess as thin and drinkable as water can be only you'd have to stop once you fell on the floor from being too drunk, which I'm sure has happened with this beer.

O- I drank this cuz my sister who doesn't like beer bought a 6-pack, drank 4 and didn't want the other 2. Would never buy this, although it's not the worst Bud offering I've had, that goes to Bud Select. About the only thing going for this is that it comes in a cool blue bottle, yay! Welp, now I guess I'll rinse my mouth out and pop open that St. Bernardus Abt 12.

09-22-2013 02:12:01 | More by PaulyB83
schematix

Missouri

3.75/5  rDev +68.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Disclaimer: I am an avid home brewer who is currently on a short hiatus due to a move (to St. Louis) so I've had to resort to buying beer.

A: I've only ever consumed it directly from a can. I would ASSUME it's like light straw based on taste (or lack of). Would also assume little to no head. I don't feel right pouring this beer.

S: Very little. A little yeast and a little grain. I don't detect hops. 0 off odors. Not great not bad.

T: Honestly I didn't think a 6% beer would have so little taste. I've been told by a brewery employee that this beer is 'nano-filtered' to remove much of the color and flavor. However, while there is a lack of flavor, there is absolutely 0 off flavors. It's really clean and refreshing.

M: Thin but highly carbonated.

O: At 137 calories for 6% this isn't much more than carbonated alcohol water. If you consider what is is though I think it's a technically excellent brew. Perhaps not everyone's cup of tea, but something with no flavor can't taste bad. I like it since on occasion i do prefer a dry beer with a kick. Drinking it side by side with Bud Light I don't find a strong resemblance. If only they added strawberry or lime flavoring to this stuff... just kidding.

EDIT: I learned a few interesting things about this beer from a former AB employee who worked on the production floor in STL: This beer is brewed with HFCS to bump the gravity without adding flavor. Also, it is packaged with a small amount of HFCS (mere grams) to give it a subtle sweetness. Also it is filtered with diatomaceous earth, and not a 'nano' filter.

EDIT 2: The more I drink this beer the more it grows on me. It is now my go-to light beer. I'd like to see more people on here review it for its style, rather than just giving it a 2 because it's made by AB. DON'T HATE!

09-18-2013 05:25:32 | More by schematix
cheesepuffs

Connecticut

BLP literally tastes like regular Bud Light with an infused metallic taste that I couldn't shake. I have no idea how some casual drinkers find this to actually be an improvement over Bud Light or Budweiser but these people seem to think that its ABV of 6% makes it superior. They're all poor excuses for beer and BLP is probably the worst of them. Luckily I tried it for free from a friend and I would recommend absolutely not wasting your hard-earned money on this garbage.

09-11-2013 03:18:45 | More by cheesepuffs
kcr357

2.11/5  rDev -5%

It IS slightly less bad than regular bud light; however, the reason for BLP is not for drinking enjoyment, it is to impress random bar skanks and give the impression you're too well off and sophisticated to be drinking regular swill like the commoners. Needs to have "It'll getcha laid" below the bud light logo.

09-02-2013 03:53:36 | More by kcr357
UCLABrewN84

1.9/5  rDev -14.4%

Pours a clear gold with a foamy bone head that settles to tiny wisps of film on top of the beer. No lacing on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, and some fruity but vegetal aromas. Taste is much the same with fruity, grassy, and corn-like flavors on the finish. There is a very mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very poor beer that is slightly better than regular Bud Light but that isn't really hard to do.

08-31-2013 04:36:11 | More by UCLABrewN84
digitalflood

1.55/5  rDev -30.2%

Budweiser Light Platinum (2013) - At 6% ABV a Sam Adam's Light grade beer is expected if not more. With some 130 calories I'm saying to myself this has to have more flavor than Bud Light regular. On both counts I was wrong. A thick foamy head reduces too mild lacing. Very active carbonation. Think wheat aromas abound. Crystal clear yellow body with very wet mouthfeel. On the front of the palette there is very little taste to be had. Faint wheat and grass taste if that. Lots of water mid-palette. Very weak malt flavor. Back palette there is very faint hops and rice. I think weak Natty Ice. This is Bud Light alright and not much more. Actually it's horrible when you really think about it because as far as light beers go this has more calories than it should. Since a Guinness has less calories I'm at a loss why I'd even think to buy this over regular Bud Light since it's cheaper or Guinness since it's better tasting. Hell I could get Third Shift or Sam's Light for around the same price. If ABV is your thing-- Natural Ice or Milwaukee's Best has more taste, higher ABV, and is cheaper. So again-- what's the point. With Bud Black Crown I get it-- pay better for good Bud. But with this I don't get it. Pay more for a potent Bud Light with more calories? It's an ill place and no purpose beer. I rarely say this but 1 out of 5 stars. Pretend it's not even on the shelf.

08-26-2013 02:29:56 | More by digitalflood
StonedTrippin

Colorado

1.33/5  rDev -40.1%

take the watery extract flavors of a bud light and add the burning stomach churning effect of grain alcohol, and you have a bud light platinum. as much as I hate the politics, marketing, and desired demographic (see my black crown review), I also hate the beer. it just tastes awful, metallic and boozy, yet somehow still diluted. its a mess from top to bottom. if it had no taste it would have a passable mouthfeel, that's about it. upbeat carbonation and a lighter body, but it cant save a beer that tastes more like a caustic chemical reaction than an honest brew for human consumption. I have no interest in ever consuming one of these again. it had the profound effect of bringing me from craving a beer badly to instantly not wanting to drink anymore, they should treat alcoholics with this wash, might turn them off too. id honestly rather drink any dirty 40 from the gas station than have another one of these. steer clear.

08-25-2013 16:38:14 | More by StonedTrippin
Gmann

2.01/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 2 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Pours a pale straw color with a fizzy pure white head that settles into a slight cap. Fizzy yellow beer.

The mason jar seems to collect and amplify the odor of the beer. Very grainy and sulfur like; grassy and veggies. Kind of a musty alcohol vapor. Quite unpleasant.

The taste is better but not much. Its light and has a sweet corny straw flavor. Some sulfur.

The feel is light with fizzy carbonation. Sweet on the palate. Perhaps a shade heavier than normal bud light.

A boozier marketing driven beer. What's the point.

08-24-2013 18:59:07 | More by Gmann
yeastlovehoppiness_greg

Iowa

1.76/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.75

This beer is trying to be a "real beer". the 6% scheme is kind of a joke. This beer smells bad. like really bad. it is pretty smooth but it still tastes pretty skunky. There is no fizz to it which is weird considering Budweiser and Bud light are pretty fizzy

08-21-2013 02:37:23 | More by yeastlovehoppiness_greg