Bud Light Platinum - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Platinum Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,679 | Reviews: 345
1.5/5  rDev -32.1%

I do not enjoy this beer, very sweet, almost tastes like regular bud light had a baby with Sweet & Low. The red bull like cans are a turn off as well, I think.

2.03/5  rDev -8.1%

A go to if I want to get drunk, or have a quick couple of brews while watching sports on the couch.

I think Bud Light is a little better flavor-wise but Platinum has the higher ABV. Nothing wrong with drinking these, cheap and easy to drink. Take Bud Light over Corona or Heineken ten times out of ten.

2.75/5  rDev +24.4%

a strong malt liquor taste, not as bad as steel reserve. It will mess you up if you have to many. Platinum Problems

Bud Light Platinum
16. oz. can, coded "14226 SH23"

Poured into a clean glass Bud Light Platinum delivers a nice looking pint with a straw gold body beneath a short head of bright white foam. The head drops readily but maintains a solid surface covering. The lacing is limited but it does leave some nice craggy splashes behind.

The aroma is clean, and expresses only sweetish adjunct malt with a hint of apple-like fruitiness.

The flavor is quite a surprise! My initial impression was that it tasted like a malt liquor... a watered down malt liquor, but one with that sweetish adjunct-laden maltiness that lingers in the mouth because there are very little hops present. It's fruity and sweet, without any noticeable hop flavors at all, and a very low bitterness level to balance it out. Odd.

In the mouth it's medium bodied and smooth with a very moderate carbonation. If I hold the glass to the light I can see tiny bubbles steadily streaming upwards but there are not nearly as many as might be expected, especially for a light beer, which should be crisp.

So what's going on here? If you read the can it states that it's 6.0% ALC./VOL., which is very odd for a light beer, and it's also got 137 calories and 4.4 grams of carbs per 12 oz. serving (thank you A-B for including that, sincerely). I had to get my head around this so I put together a list:

110 calories in Bud Light @ 4.2% abv
137 calories in Bud Light Platinum @ 6.0% abv
145 calories in Budweiser @ 5.0% abv
158 calories in Hurricane @ 5.8% abv

So what we have here is basically a 'light malt liquor'. Is this a new American style of beer?

Unless the cost difference between Hurricane Malt Liquor and Bud Light Platinum is pretty great, I can't imagine anyone going for the Hurricane. The Bud Light Platinum is clean, and actually delivers a slightly bigger punch.

So how to rate this? I generally look at the whole world of beer as a guideline, meaning that there are poorly made beers that suffer from defects, and then there are pristine examples of certain styles that have a certain 'je ne said quoin' of magic to them that exemplify the 'creme de la creme'. An OK beer then scores a "3" as a "3" is average, and on that world-scale a standard Budweiser scores a bit higher at about 3.5. As far as a 'light malt liquor' goes I think this is really the only one. Compared to other malt liquors it's pretty damned good, but if we look at it just as 'a beer' thrown into the world mix it comes out short. I think for what it is it's not bad. I find no defects with it, and I thought it was much more drinkable than a lot of malt liquors.

I'm not sure I have an answer to this one yet, but I'm gonna stick with "okay" until something else pops up.

Nice smooth flavor from start to finish that remains consistent. Very good beer for being Budweiser

Nice bottle ... Bad aroma , bad appearance, empty watery taste. Water, malt and nothing about taste.

1.09/5  rDev -50.7%

If only it was made of platinum, you could take it to one of those coin and jewelry stores and sell it! can tell any difference from regular Bud Light, I do like the velvet finish of this beer that's about it.

The marketing makes the company rich and the blue bottle makes it look cool but that all ends when you crack it open and take a swig. Typical of most American beers, not worth drinking and a joke to beer drinkers worldwide. Question is, why is it popular and still on the market?

1.13/5  rDev -48.9%

So considering I just reviewed Bud Light, I figured I might as well crack the single of Bud Light PLATINUM I have sitting in my fridge. This is the FIRST time I've ever had this beer so you're going to get the full force of whatever I have to offer. It may not be pretty. You stand warned.

Serving Style : pretty 12 oz blue glass bottle, poured into a Miller Fortune glass.

Appearance (1.5) : I love the blue bottle. I'll keep it to put in my man cave. I think the appeal is the jewel blue bottle and the higher alcohol content. I digress.

Pouring...

So, could this beer could get any paler? Crystal transparency. I could read a book through it! I've seen Chardonnay more opaque! Even lighter colored than regular Bud Light (I have a good comparison as I just poured it moments ago), and the head is about the same - minimal and recedes rapidly. Dud city.

Smell (2) : Slightly boozy, much like bud light but with a larger bouquet; granola, corn, clean swimming pool, leather... something that smells good and is reminiscent of a good time in life but I can't quite put a finger on. I'm just gonna say I like the smell better than regular Bud Light.

Taste (-1) : Whoa. Hold everything. This is like an unwanted kiss from an ugly girl. Corn lager explosion with heavy booze and a finish of artificial chemical awfulness I'm not even gonna try to describe. This is horrible. Cough syrup - I'm getting freaking cough syrup here. Faint faint fruit loops. What the hell???

Mouthfeel (1) : Oily mouthfeel with unbearably heavy carbonation. Dry rubbing alcohol on the finish. I don't think it can get much worse.

Overall (1.13) : This is like a triple distilled malt liquor that finishes like rubbing alcohol. It has flavors but they're all off. It's like I'm drinking watered down malted bleach and antiseptic mixed with cheap vodka. If you hate yourself you'll drink this beer. This is honestly the worst, most horrible beer I've ever laid lips to. This is liquid feces from the depths of hell. My natural, uncensored reaction to this is "holy s**t this is bad". Who approved this out of the brewery? Furthermore, who are the sick people that buy this stuff? I'm going to flag down and warn anybody who tries to buy this beer from our gas station. I think I'll go pour this out now...

3.5/5  rDev +58.4%

Good, smooth taste that gets you where you want to be. Like drinking Budweiser with a little extra kick.

1.53/5  rDev -30.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Clear golden body with tons of rising bubbles. The white head dissipates lightning fast. No lacing.

Aroma: Slightly sweet, kind of a glue-like aroma, some metallic notes.

Taste: Sweet up front. Boozy. A faint metallic and sour finish.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated, oddly sticky.

Overall: There's just something about this beer that is off. It's very malty, boozy, and metallic. Not sure what they were going for here. It wasn't refreshing at all.

Absolutely disgusting, it literally makes me sick to my stomach each time I have tried it. It has a weird chemical taste that is present as well as a stickiness that is left behind in my mouth after drinking. Trust me, this is not coming from a snobby anti macro person either, I actually like Budweiser, Bud Light, and Bud Select. This stuff is putrid though.

Would not seek out, purchase, or even drink again. Just give me water and forget the beer if this is all you have.

1.14/5  rDev -48.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Look, I may have just signed up on this site, but keep in mind that this was a beer that finally enticed me to review, and possibly because I finally got a smartphone. The 6.0% may sound enticing for the low cost, but don't be as dumb as I was, please. We work hard for our money, and we would be better off spending this money on something meaningful and more entertaining, perhaps a chinese finger trap... or a decent block of cheese from the grocery store (everyone loves cheese, yeah, even you, dude who says he doesn't like cheese.)

This poured with the roar of massive carbonation that built a huge head of light foam that dissipated quickly. The bubbling continued to course throughout the pale yellow to watery body.

The nose is of a stale malt and light corn with a touch of metallic aromas. There maybe a touch of piney hops and even a tinge of banana?

The flavor more or less reflects the aroma with sour, stale malts an a lovelorn flavor. The hop profile is fairly benign and this ends with a metallic taste.

The feel is surprisingly bland for as much carbonation but there s a harsh swallow.

BA puts a 2 as poor and I think that word is spot on.

3.51/5  rDev +58.8%

I like this beer simply because it is a cheaper beer that I think tastes good I think it's kinda sweet which is what I like about it. It has a high alc volume that I like for a cheep beer and I disagree with people that say it tastes like regular bud light it does has a different flavor as far as that goes like I said it's sweeter to me anyways and has a nice volume the crown from the glass isn't huge but that's expected with this beer overall I enjoy it over other common bought beers and the glasses are cool and so are the thin cans

3.31/5  rDev +49.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Look No offense to everyone but this is not a bad beer really. I like that it has significantly more spike then regular bud light considering bud light just seems to go thru you FAST. It's also relatively cheap and I really like the blue bottle. Honestly I feel like the people who don't like this beer obviously don't like to drink very cheap. This is a good beer for those wanting to get tipsy on a relatively low price and for the money conscience people like me. Now I will admit it's not the best tasting beer in the world but considering it only takes me two bottles to really start feeling something and that I don't have to pay too much for it. I say it is well worth it for the most part. I like stronger beers and this would be a beer I'd buy if I didn't want to spend that much money. Now for those you just HAVE to have a wonderful tasting fountain of beer this wouldn't be the beer of choice but considering I get tipsy after relatively little cash spent. I'd say it is a great beer for the money conscience people out there who only want to feel good after a hard day at work. I do like how I don't really smell the beer that much unless I stick my nose in it either which is why I give a high review on smell although

2.01/5  rDev -9%

Good for getting drunk on. The 90 cals on 6% is pretty nice, but don't ever pour this into a glass. Just grip that Redbull-style can and slam them back until you can't feel feelings.

1.26/5  rDev -43%

Marshall McLuhan once famously said that "the medium is the message" with regard to television, but with this beer, it still applies. I still have the empty blue bottle from my original review as it looks very pretty when the sunlight hits it, sitting on the windowsill. Now they have seen fit to put it in a screw-top bottle-shaped CAN and I CANnot resist a new CAN! Don't believe me? It reads "Brewed and CANned by A.B., St. Louis, MO."

I got things unscrewed and began an aggro pour which netted me two fingers of fluffy, bone-white head with poor retention, fizzing out like pop. Color was a pale lemon-yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-plus quality clarity. Nose still had that curious Minhas smell of chewed pink bubble gum, dry cleaning solvent and plastics factory. OMFG! Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the taste was super-sweet, cotton CANdy-like and extremely cloying. Finish had an unexpected dryness, as if the yeast had really gone to town, but overall, it was unpleasant and not worth another thought.

My original bottle review, dtd 06 March 2013, scores 2.5; 1; 1; 2; 1.5 follows:

My neighbor (out the back door and across a short parking lot) is a bottle shop and he occasionally has singles for sale. When that happens, I try to grab anything that I would not normally want in any other quantity, write a review and move on. This is one of those instances.

If nothing else, it came in a pretty cobalt blue bottle, so I may see if the art department at work can use it. Otherwise, what were they thinking? Blue allows more light penetration than any other color of glass. I had two fingers of bone-white fizzing head initially until it fizzed its way to wispiness. Color was a pale lemon-yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-plus quality clarity, enabling me to see into the future. It looks like snow! Those of us south of US 30 are expected to get 6" to 8" or perhaps more. The nose had an odd Minhas-like chemical smell, like plastics and dry cleaning fluid. Fuh! Mouthfeel was thin and watery and the taste was reminiscent of the time I had trench mouth as a kid (thanks, summer camp creeps) and had to gargle with diluted hydrogen peroxide. Finish was bland. Rubbish! I am experiencing buyer's remorse.

2.77/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pretty much tastes the same as regular Bud Light but with 6 ABV. Pours out straw yellow, and pretty flat. The aroma has a slight alcohol smell and that is about it. It really does not taste like much either. I will not buy it again because I would rather drink a hoppy IPA if I want a high alcohol percentage, but it definitely got the job done!

3.07/5  rDev +38.9%

I was expecting a little bit more when I first tried this beer. I enjoy bud lite to an extend and was hoping this would add a little more flavor and profile than a typical bud lite. It is a little heavier but overall I thought the taste was similar to that of bud lite, wasnt a huge fan of the Platinums.

2.12/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Appearance: Light yellow color with a medium head.

Smell: Has a sour smell with some sugary scents. Very odd smell to me with a mix of random things.

Taste: Has a bitter taste but still tastes watery like a bud light. There are not a ton of very distinguishable tastes that I would consider enjoyable. I was hoping for more from anheuser-busch's more expensive beer.

Overall: Drinkable. I have grown to be a craft beer guy so in terms of macros I was not incredibly surprised that I was not crazy about it. For a light macro its ok. I wont buy it often though.

4.38/5  rDev +98.2%

I prefer this to my normal bud light now. I always liked normal Budlight in the past over anything else. And now I have a new go to beer. My only reason is the 6.0 Alcohol content. To me it taste like Budlight with a kick and that's what I love. Now 2 or 3 bottles is all I need instead of 5 or 6..

3.63/5  rDev +64.3%

Bud Light Platinum brewed by Anheuser-Busch with and abv of 6.0. Now first off this brew is not a light beer. The Abv to this brew is to high to be 6.0. Most American style light lagers have an abv of 4.2. This is more like an ICE Beer. Bud Light Platinum pours out of the can a nice amber color with a small white head. The smell is that of american style lager but sweeter. An you can smell the alcohol in this brew. Right off the bat you taste the 6.0 abv- but it is smooth and crisp. The fact of the matter is it drinks like a light beer,but it has a kick. This brew has more to it than Bud Light, but it not as much as Budweiser. It is right in middle of the two. I like how it is smooth ,but the alcohol taste brings this brew down. Overall, I'm giving this brew a 4 out 5. I would get this brew again.

3.97/5  rDev +79.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

It's total piss water but it's my favorite piss water. It's nothing special but fills the need when I'm looking for a simple drink to enjoy. Understated but good tasting flavor. It's not something I would give a sterling recommendation of but would suggest people with a light taste give a try.

2.24/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Just imagine Bud Light with 6% ABV instead of just a little over 4.3%. It still pours out a straw color with a fleeting head that goes flat instantly (and in a clean glass). The smell and taste of very neutral with no hops at all. As expected, the mouth feel is thin. My recommendation is that if you want something with 6% ABV from ABI, go with King Cobra as a 24 oz. can of "The King" goes for about half of at double deuce of BLP.

Overall this beer is perfect if you like Bud Light and want to "get lit quick". It's too bad that one of the coolest bottles around has to come filled with this stuff.

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch