Bud Light Platinum - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Platinum Alström Bros
1.5/5  rDev -32.1%

Mebuzzard, Jul 04, 2014
2.38/5  rDev +7.7%

A: Pours a clear straw golden color with a small white foamy head, quickly reducing to a thin cap on top. Lots of bubbles released from the bottom.

S: Mineraly, slightly sweet, cereal grains. A little bit of apple actually, but kind of muted overall.

T: Similar to the aroma in that there really isn't much going on. More grainy malt, biscuit, a little corn, and an extremely faint citrus presence.

M: Light bodied with high carbonation which you can feel as you drink it.

O: Nothing really bad, but not something I want to drink again. Not really sure why anyone would.

mdaschaf, Jun 16, 2012
2.2/5  rDev -0.5%

Ocean blue bottle, the one and only. Very few places I could just buy ONE bottle, so let's see how this turns out. Poured into a shaker pint.

From the bottle pours a classic straw yellow, but a real bright gold crystal clear, like a window. Head is fluffly white, snaps with lots of carbonation and falls to a collar very quickly. Slow rising carbonation comes up, mostly cola sized but just a few bubbles. Some appealing and not so appealing characters. I call average.

Nose is rank. A real strange chemical component on this. Dry. Varnishy. Unfortunately not much else. Not a real attractive profile, but for the most part it is also quite closed.

Palate hits with a little bit of expected wetness, but there's some thickness hinting at syrup like body. Corny sweet aftertaste, but also with a little bit of honey. A little bit of noticeable carbonation that seems to make a good cut through the sweetness. Alcohol is quite noticeable on the finish, and this gets quite boozy for even just 6%, somewhat fussel like also. Stomach bomb hot after several sips.

Interesting palate, and almost passable for myself, but just hints at a bit too much sweetness. One and done, I lived.

smakawhat, Dec 24, 2012
1.93/5  rDev -12.7%

The options were pretty limited at the Tilted Kilt in White Marsh, so figured this was the perfect time to try a glass of macro swill. To my credit, I made it through nearly a quarter of the bottle before dumping the rest.

The beer pours a light gold color with minimal head retention and light lacing. Still, for an AB lite beer, this isn't too bad. The nose is disgusting, which I guess figures. I get a distinct alka-seltzer and creamed canned corn aroma, which is just flat out weird (not to mention nasty). The flavor profile is a bit better (not exactly a high bar, eh?), but I'm surprised by how much sweet, creamed corn I get. It really dominates the flavor profile, and is just not very enjoyable. Also, as seems to be typical with macro swill from AB-Inbev, there's a gassiness to this beer that is unpleasant, giving me something of a bloated feeling. Mouthfeel is fairly smooth and slick, but is otherwise pretty light and watery.

Mehhh.... as expected, this beer sucks. I guess I would call it better than regular bud lite, but then regular BL is one the nastiest beers on the planet. One and done for me...

John_M, Apr 21, 2012
2.5/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a medium straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured sweet adjuncts and a light herbal hop.

The taste consisted of the same sweet malts with a neat light hop.

The mouthfeel was toward the fuller side of the style.

I really don't understand the point of this beer. If someone wants a heavier Bud Light then, well, try a Bud.

plaid75, Feb 16, 2012
1.63/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a light copperish yellow with some soapy head that fades away away quickly. The nose is fruity and smells like corn and apples. The taste is the same; grainy and sweet with corn and apple notes. The mouthfeel is very light and heavily carbonated.

It's flavor profile is incredibly light and is dominated by that apple-like off flavor. I didn't have high expectations so I won't say I'm disappointed. I'll be passing on this in the future.

tdm168, Mar 04, 2012
2.63/5  rDev +19%

12oz blue bottle served in a snifter.

Th aroma is both faint and not entirely pleasant, having a bit of a metallic note. The flavor is considerably better, with well balanced malt and hops. Still, the flavor is quite mild and lacks complexity or richness.

M: light body is somewhat watery but better than expected. Some crispness from well-chosen level of carbonation

O: Better than expected since this beer had no obvious production flaws. It worked fine as a thirst=quenching beverage after some summer yard work.

P.S. I note this is a rare beer in generating BA ratings all the way from 1 to 5.

chinchill, Jun 14, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -20.8%

Kelp, May 09, 2013

Zaphog, Jul 28, 2012
2.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I forget which tailgate, probably Wolfpack baseball, that I got to try this at, but nonetheless, as they say in the commercials, here we go. . .

Pours almost as light as Bud Light. A little more of the dark gold thing going for it. Big head that falls into oblivion. Smell, kind of one of those hybrid lager yeasts and shitty belgian kind of thing going on. The smell stood out here, and not in a good way.

Taste, fairly inoffensive, I think I can actually taste quite a bit of alcohol even though it is only 6%. Barely any hop presence, and that is even up against barely any malt presence.

Look, you know how this beer goes. Light everything, bigger alcohol. Tired of people making fun of you for drinking diet low alcohol beer? Now you're a big man, drinking 6% diet beer. oooh.

Beerandraiderfan, Jun 26, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -32.1%

ShanePB, Jul 31, 2013
2.25/5  rDev +1.8%

rolltide8425, Jul 11, 2012
2.75/5  rDev +24.4%

harpus, Jul 27, 2012
2.68/5  rDev +21.3%

Pours a clear, straw color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Slight Retention and poor lacing. Smells of citrus hops, slight alcohol, hint of pale malt, rice, and a hint of sweet malt. Fits the style of a Light Lager. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of citrus hops, pale malt, slight alcohol, slight metallic, and rice. Overall, weak in appearance, aroma, and body. Blend and feel are the best qualities.

Tone, Feb 11, 2012
2.13/5  rDev -3.6%

A complimentary sample from the owner of one of my local pubs (which was good, now I don't have to spend money on it). Served in stemless flute. The beer was a VERY pale yellow, clean and clear, I could easily read through the beer. The beer had about 1/2 inch of white head that had no retention or lacing.

The only aroma to come across the nose was a very slight grain scent, no real malt or hop presence. The story on the tongue was much the same, the grain was a bit more prominent, but still no hops showing up.

The body, as expected, was very thin and watery and had a high level of carbonation. The beer was smoothly drinkable, but why would you want to drink several of these? Overall, pretty much you'd expect from this beer. I was surprised to learn that this beer was 6% ABV however. I suspect that Inbev hit their target when they made this brew, but there's really not much for a craft beer lover to like about this offering. I drank it so you don't have to.

beertunes, Feb 18, 2012

atrocity, Apr 25, 2014
2.48/5  rDev +12.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

355ml can poured into pint glass 22/2/13

A clear straw yellow with loads of bubbles feeding a long lasting two finger bone white foam that leaves no lace, looks the part

S sour green apple, rice cakes, soggy cardboard, and some cotton candy? either way this ones not that great

T there's really not much going on here, what I smell just toned down and I'm not sure if that's good or bad. It's not overly offensive but its also far from enjoyable

M watery and well carbonated with a reasonably clean finish, about what I expected

O pretty basic stuff much like most of the macros out there, nothing good but not a drain pour either

6% Bud Light? I can see that causing some confusion with consumers. I can't see any reason why anyone should bother with this one, don't go out of your way for it

wordemupg, Feb 23, 2013

Cynic-ale, Aug 12, 2013

drummermattie02, May 31, 2013

chippo33, Dec 21, 2012

I was at a 40th soiree tonight and there wan't much choice so I went with something I had not tried...the budlight platinum. The beer poured a clear solid yellow with initial fizzy head that disipated quickly and left no lace. The smell was typical of most light lager....hints of wheat and grass. The taste was a bit fuller than typical bud light which is an improvement. The mouthfeel was still lighter with big carbonation. Overall it was drinkable.

WoodBrew, Jan 19, 2013
1.71/5  rDev -22.6%

Cool cobalt blue bottle, it pours like most macros, a straw yellow, with a good head of foam.

The smell is as piss poor as any macro I've had. Huge grainy notes that put the fear in me of what this is going to taste like.

Okay, the taste is as bad, maybe worse, than I expected. Grain and a sickly sweetness plus the added abv make for a disaster, imho.

No need to comment on the mf and drinkability. This bottle is not worthy of my time and down the drain it goes. At least it was only 1 bottle that I bought.

Bitterbill, Feb 23, 2013
2.7/5  rDev +22.2%

12 oz twist-top blue bottle poured into a pilsner glass.
6.0% ABV, 12009 on back label (bottled Jan. 09, 2012)

A - Bud Light Platinum pours a frightfully pale yellow color with crystal clarity that shows off the stream of carbonation rushing sky-ward. A loose white head shoots up quickly complete with a loud fizzy sound only to drop almost before I can capture it digitally. No surprise there's no retention or lacing...

S - The short-lived effervescent of Platinum allows a quick burst of fruity aroma to come through briefly before disintigrating into disgust; heavy pale graininess, dry straw, and a metallic finish. The lack of an aroma-retaining head means all these characteristics are gone in moments.

T - Yep, as a BeerFM reader described it; filtered water. Hints of rice and pale malt come out with a sliver of exotic fruitiness that's almost a mirage...save for it's "higher" alcohol level for a bland lager.

M - Pretty well carbonated but not tongue-assaulting like I expected it to be! Platinum is crisp, clean, and drinkable with a finish that leaves nothing to be remembered by.

O - Bud Light Platinum: More alcohol, same drinkability! I can see what AB is doing here... I can't say I'm interested in ever having this beer again but, honestly, once the aroma disappears, [1) which doesn't take long to wait for and 2) how many people will drink it from anything but the bottle?] this beer isn't offensive in the least.

BeerFMAndy, Feb 08, 2012
2.8/5  rDev +26.7%

Poured from a blue 12 oz. bottle. Has a bright yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of corn,an unusual somewhat musty odor.Taste is light, a bit musty, alcohol is present, some grains. Feels light in the mouth and overall this is a mediocre beer.

tone77, Jun 16, 2012
2.75/5  rDev +24.4%

I knew I would never pay for this so when my brother offered me one I was slightly eager to try it.

A - Well it looks like a light lager, piss yellow with a 1/4 inch of white head that is very fizzy. As expected.

S - Well it smells better than a regular bud which in my opinion is not even palatable. Sweet malts and the faintest of hopping make up this corny brew.

T - Well it defiantly better than bud light hands down. Light corn flavor, sugary sweet malts, and no hops in the flavor. Eh.

M - Light bodied as expected for this light lager.

Overall if offered again (usually when the good stuff is gone) it's perfectly drinkable. Not something I would buy even if it was cheap as hell.

DrDemento456, Feb 18, 2012