Follow our progress ...

Style: Light Lager

Added by DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Reviews: 329 | Ratings: 1,805
3.74/5  rDev +64%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a tulip, don't ask why.

Initially this beer looks kind of amazing. The body is a light straw color with unbelievable brilliance. You could read through this beer. There is a constant stream of bubbles supporting an egg-shell white head that starts sizable, however that head goes away after a minute or two and completely disappears. I'm not entirely sure if a sustaining head is a quality normally found in light beers or not, but I would rank this much higher if it did last.

When served chilled there is hardly much aroma to speak of, however let this warm up, and you start to smell the sweet grain. Not much more, but I will say that the sweet grain/corn aroma (is there corn in this?) is actually not a bad thing.

Sweet malt up front, almost candy-like, that is very light on the palette and then followed by a cereal huskiness in the exhale. Residual sweetness is there. Much sweeter than typical Light Beers. Though it is not cloying at all. It still is very very light in comparison to any other standard Helles or Pilsner. Pretty good flavor here.

The body is light, with brisk carbonation, which slowly becomes softer throughout the glass. Finishes smooth. Leaves a little saccharin sweetness behind. Not a fan. Reminds me of the sensation of drinking diet soda.

There is still a lot that this beer could do in order to score high marks, but for the style, I think this one is pretty good. Unoffensive, has some flavor, really well made.

2.47/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Pours a crystal clear, pale gold with a white, half finger head. Sub-par retention. Traces of microbubbles left on the surface. Spotty lacing with poor stick.

Smell - Sweet, syrupy aroma. Not much else.

Taste - Some initial grain and a corn syrupy sweetness gives way to a slight alcohol burn near the end before an abrupt, clean finish. Fairly Bland.

Mouthfeel - Light in body with fair crispness. Semi-dry finish.

Overall - About what I expected, though I did think there was going to be a little more bite from the alcohol. To me, the only redeeming factor this has going for it is the incredibly beautiful cobalt blue bottle. It gives off an eye popping, trance inducing glow that's very calming. I just might hang on to it for a while. The verdict? Better than Bud Light, but nothing I'll spend my money on again.

2.14/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a very light, clear, pale yellow. One finger of bright white head that quickly dissipated.

Aroma: Very light. Faint cereal grain. Light sweetness.

Taste: Very sweet upfront, sugary, syrupy flavor. Fades into a light cardboard/cereal grain/rice taste.

Mouthfeel: Thin, very light, very little body, carried through by a prickling carbonation.

Overall: Not a great beer. Would not seek out. Price point is good, $6/6 pk., but you can definitely find better options.

2.46/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass at slightly warmer than fridge temperature.

L – Straw color with a 3-finger bubbly, white head that rapidly dissipates into a thin cap of bubbles. Actually some patchy lacing. Clear with lots of bubbles.

S – Musty grains, corn, and some faint diacetyl and metallic aromas. Not extremely pleasant, but not far off from what a beer of this style should be.

T – Follows the nose very closely. It’s sweet pretty much all the way through with musty grains, a tiny bit of bready malt, corn, and some diacetyl. The metallic quality is still faintly present toward the finish, along with a hint of some alcohol. This actually tastes a bit better than ordinary Bud Light, but the added alcohol taste isn’t doing it many favors.

F – Thin-bodied with lots of carbonation, a crisp and refreshing mouthfeel, and a slightly sweet and slightly dry finish. Even though the alcohol was apparent in the taste, there is no alcohol warmth – I hoped there wouldn’t be at only 6% ABV.

O – This isn’t a terrible beer, but it’s not a good one either. For what a light lager is supposed to be, it almost hits the mark. However, the added alcohol generates some stronger characteristics than a light lager should have. Taste-wise, I may take this over a regular Bud Light, but in terms of drinkability, I’d probably rather have the original.

1.86/5  rDev -18.4%

I found this beer to be absolute garbage. It just feels like anheuser-bush is trying to jump on a market of high octane beers for cheap. I for one don't know why any one would like to get the jersey shore cast drunker then they already are... The beer is tasteless then it finishes with some thing in the realm of vodka. I hated ever bit off it. The only reason i didn't give it a 1 is because I'm sure Budweiser will or has made something worse.

2.24/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Aluminum bottle (if its container is aluminum I review it as a can, even if it does have a bottle cap).
Pours out a clear, yellow liquid. I got a huge mountain of merangue-like head, foam lasted a long time, leaving thin lace strings. A few bubble lines continue up from the bottom of the glass.
Smells a bit like sour grain or other wet cereal.
Taste has some light grain, or other sweetness. Sourish, acidic finish. More alcohol burn than I was expecting, not too overpowering, but still present.
Light bodied, medium carbonation.
Trying to be objective...About what I was expecting - a strong light beer ?!?

2.08/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Bottle purchased and drank at Kelly's Saloon in Geneseo, NY.

Pours a clear golden yellow, with a small quarter inch fizzy head, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells essentially exactly like Bud Light. Slightly sweet smelling.

The taste is similar. Very close to Bud Light, but a bit sweeter. The alcohol is boosted here, but it's noticeable. The sweet corn and grain flavors are pretty gross, and too much for me.

Light bodied, a bit heftier than Bud Light but still pretty weak. High carbonation.

Nice try, AB-InBev, this still sucks.

2.01/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

The time has come to finally review the lone bottle someone left at my parents house.

A- Pint glass pour from the blue bottle. Incredibly light color, an uber pale diluted yellow hue, clearly filtered. Small white head forms to about one finger in size and is foamy in texture. Cap retention is not very good and a thin ring leaves no lace at all. Beer ends up looking like juice.

S- Extremely faint and not much going on. Light grape-like/cidery fruit, bread and weak sugary hints. Really have to stress to get anything.

T- Hard to distinguish from any other Bud products I have had, it has been a while though. Bread and apple juice forward, not really in a pleasant way, sort of harsh. Yeast bread, rice adjuncts and something spicy (not sure if yeast or hops). It doesn't sound too bad but with any warmth at all, things just get more and more muddled and it get's more astringent.

MF- Extremely thin body with a ton of foamy carbonation and a light sweetness. Hint of bitterness but the overall feel is harsh, too much carbonation without anything else backing it up.

When ice cold this isn't terrible. Once it gets any warmth in it, it goes to hell. There is just an unpleasant spicy, adjunct flavor that doesn't work out. Not the worst beer I have ever had but nothing interesting here.

2.95/5  rDev +29.4%

A bud light with a slightly better taste and a little more alcholol kick. Clear, little head but a better alternative than bud light if you can afford the extra calories and extra cost. Will drink on occasion when drinking light beer but still lacks the the taste of a Miller Light (just my personal presence). All in all not a bad beer for everyday occasions, just not up there with the special ones.

1.8/5  rDev -21.1%

Got a 6 pack of Bud Light Platinum...

Couldn't wait to try it out. I guess should be awesome. Saw some guy downing them left and right at a party. Blue bottle looked cool. 8 bucks plus tax no big deal this stuff has got to be good right...

The taste was horrible tasted worst than most cheap high gravity beers. I cannot even describe how gross the taste was. Gave one to my uncle who drinks cheap beer most of the time... He started laughing at how bad the beer was and didn't even want to finish drinking it.

The smell was below average smelled like some kind of synthetic chemicals.

The appearance was cool in the blue bottle didn't pour it into a glass so I couldn't tell you the color.

Mouthfeel was mostly average kind of seemed like drinking a gelatin liquid if you can imagine.

The taste was so cheap tasting reminded me of camo black ice but worst.

1.73/5  rDev -24.1%

Cool cobalt blue bottle, it pours like most macros, a straw yellow, with a good head of foam.

The smell is as piss poor as any macro I've had. Huge grainy notes that put the fear in me of what this is going to taste like.

Okay, the taste is as bad, maybe worse, than I expected. Grain and a sickly sweetness plus the added abv make for a disaster, imho.

No need to comment on the mf and drinkability. This bottle is not worthy of my time and down the drain it goes. At least it was only 1 bottle that I bought.

1.58/5  rDev -30.7%

This beer was from a bomber lol. Served iced cold and in pint glass.

A- The body of the beer is well pale urine yellow. The head of the beer was white and immediately left. No lacing noted on the glass.

S- The aroma is lightly sweetened sort of like the water you would drain off of a bag of Uncle Bens instant rice. Not a hint of hops.

T- The flavor is a light grainy lightly sweetened flavor and nothing else. I bet this is what the water from an Uncle Bens instant rice boil taste like.

M- The body is light and fizzy.

O- Just a waste of money!... Nothing to reccomend and zero enjoyment. This is an alcohol delivery system and nothing else.

2.5/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

355ml can poured into pint glass 22/2/13

A clear straw yellow with loads of bubbles feeding a long lasting two finger bone white foam that leaves no lace, looks the part

S sour green apple, rice cakes, soggy cardboard, and some cotton candy? either way this ones not that great

T there's really not much going on here, what I smell just toned down and I'm not sure if that's good or bad. It's not overly offensive but its also far from enjoyable

M watery and well carbonated with a reasonably clean finish, about what I expected

O pretty basic stuff much like most of the macros out there, nothing good but not a drain pour either

6% Bud Light? I can see that causing some confusion with consumers. I can't see any reason why anyone should bother with this one, don't go out of your way for it

4.3/5  rDev +88.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This Bud Light creation was very good in my opinion. The taste was good and similar to regular Bud Light. The mouthfeel was very smooth and very easy to drink. The appearance and the bottle the beer came in was the best part of this beer. I believe Bud did a great job at coming up with a new beer.

2.1/5  rDev -7.9%

A: Any paler then this and I'd think you gave me a glass of water. This looks like a 1/4 apple juice mixed with water. Nice white head, very clear.

S: Metallic and adjunct aromas

T: Pur adjunct flavours, no malt.

M: Med-high carbonation, clean on the palate, 6% alcohol not detectable.

O: Not a good lager by any standard, but very good for AB.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

This beer is a marketing scam. Bud Light hypes up this beer to make it out to be a special edition Bud Light beer but i prefer regular Bud Light rather than this stuff. I don't know what is was about this beer but after getting all excited about the bottle and the look, its a real disappointment when you actually taste it.

3.91/5  rDev +71.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

*Full Disclosure* - I am drinking some of this as I write this review Purchased at a C-Town for $8.49 per 6-pack-
I first had this during the black-out "Harbowl" where the Baltimore Ravens beat the San Francisco 49ers. We were at my friends house in his man cave and someone brought 2 cases of this stuff over.

At first glance I was attracted by the beautiful blue bottle, and since it was the only beer available i said sure why not. Two hours later we are were all nicely buzzed from this beer and astonished that this "bud light" had rendered us in this state.

For the price, ease of availability, and the surprise 6%ABV I give this beer high marks.

Bud Light Platinum gets the job done and recommend you all to try it; even if merely to lubricate the esophagus before you move on to some of your favorite imports =-)

Cheers,

St. Anthony

2.12/5  rDev -7%

Bud Light Platinum pours a pale gold with a thick white head from a twelve ounce cobalt blue bottle. The aroma is a bit sweet and grainy. There is more flavor than I expected, apple like flavor pops out at me. Maybe a touch of alcohol even. The aftertaste is unpleasant. Not one I particularly care for, I'd avoid this one.

2.59/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Anticipating a light tasting ice beer... not expecting too much. Thinking this beer is all about the clever marketing gimmicks from the powers that beer.

Picked up a bottle, aluminum bottle... bottle was stupidly cold, not very comfortable to hold for a very long time. Poured bottle into a gobblet...

Liquid flowed from the bottle, poured a very, very pale yellow... almost a very light tan. Smell of sweet corny malts lit up my personal space. Bit of head sat on top of the beer, but quickly dissipated. Bubbles ablaze, reminiscent of a typical American macro lager.

Taste was sweet, almost corny... Couldnt get past the sweetness- from the touch of the tongue, to the moments after the swallow. Not much of an after taste, little bit of malty/ corny sweetness sitting on the back of my tongue.

Overall, sweeter than anticipated- didn't expect much, didn't get much.

2.89/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I had a bottle of this, it was pretty average for the style, the only thing going for it really is an increased abv threshold. I think for the price it isn't bad, but it really doesn't have much in the way of flavor beyond a corn pop type sweetness. I can't say it is really a flawed beer meaning having noticeable flavor deficiencies unless you consider lack of flavor one, then it is pretty bland which is why I gave it a below average score

I was at a 40th soiree tonight and there wan't much choice so I went with something I had not tried...the budlight platinum. The beer poured a clear solid yellow with initial fizzy head that disipated quickly and left no lace. The smell was typical of most light lager....hints of wheat and grass. The taste was a bit fuller than typical bud light which is an improvement. The mouthfeel was still lighter with big carbonation. Overall it was drinkable.

2.57/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I really tried to judge this beer on its own merits and not as an AB product, but even in a blind taste test this would be awful. Appearance wise, it has the typical, inoffensive pale golden color of a light lager. The smell was somewhat sweet and malty, if very faintly so. The taste is what killed it for me. Light malt-liquour is what comes to mind. Sweet, cloying, yet watery; no dimension or complexity, not even a discernible taste of malts or hops. Over carbonated and thin. I realise that ajunct light lagers have their place in the market and some are even drinkable, but this is a truly awful beer that would appeal to NO ONE. The taste would be a turn off to most light beer drinkers, I would assume. If someone is looking for a higher ABV beer to get drunk on, but doesn't want to stray from the recognised Budweiser name, then I suppose that would be the only market buying this stuff repeatedly. As for me, one bottle was plenty enough, and a second tasting holds zero appeal at all.

2.68/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle into pint glass.

A- The color is similar to piss on a somewhat well-hydrated day. A two inch white fizzy head similar to that of sprite or 7up lasted about a minute. Carbonation continued to bubble to the surface as the beer sat. Better looking than most adjunct garbage.

S- Smells of slightly sour dry grass/hay. Biscuity malts and bland adjuncts dominate with a bit of sweet corn and very little hop aroma.

T- Much sweeter tasting than a typical Budweiser. White bread with honey and a bit a caramel. Good maltiness. This actually tastes much better than the Coors Light I drank before.

M- Not thin! Lots of carbonation, as is the custom with American cheap lagers. Good body for a light beer.

O- Platinum far exceeds my expectations. That is not to say it is a great beer

3.38/5  rDev +48.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pokal glass. Pours pale gold with a two-finger length white head that dissipates at a moderate pace compared to Bud Light or Budweiser. There are a lot of tiny bubbles visible in this beer. The beer smells of grain husks, bread, and some alcohol. The taste is bready and sweet with some alcohol. The hops are very subtle. It tastes like a malt liquor with a ligher body. The body is light with strong carbonation. The carbonation is high enough to prevent any sort of aftertaste. The finish is crisp. The beer drinks very easy. Surprisingly, I find this beer to be decent for what it is. It seems like AB-Inbev is just trying to cleverly package a malt liquor and boost the sales using the Bud Light label. A light beer this is not.

1.52/5  rDev -33.3%

A: poured from a 12oz bottle to a frosty iced pint glass. It left about a 4" head that I had to scoop out to finish pouring. Kinda looks like carbonated urine.

S: bready, malty, alcohol, not much else here

T: breast malt that finishes with a hefty taste of alcohol. Taste like it smells, but not as bad as it looks

M: very high carbonation, clean and watered down

O: this is a terrible beer, it's not balanced at all. The only reason I grabbed it is because the gas station didn't have any good beer and figured I'd give it a shot...

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch