Bud Light Platinum - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Platinum Alström Bros
Reviews: 311 | Hads: 1,692
2.59/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Anticipating a light tasting ice beer... not expecting too much. Thinking this beer is all about the clever marketing gimmicks from the powers that beer.

Picked up a bottle, aluminum bottle... bottle was stupidly cold, not very comfortable to hold for a very long time. Poured bottle into a gobblet...

Liquid flowed from the bottle, poured a very, very pale yellow... almost a very light tan. Smell of sweet corny malts lit up my personal space. Bit of head sat on top of the beer, but quickly dissipated. Bubbles ablaze, reminiscent of a typical American macro lager.

Taste was sweet, almost corny... Couldnt get past the sweetness- from the touch of the tongue, to the moments after the swallow. Not much of an after taste, little bit of malty/ corny sweetness sitting on the back of my tongue.

Overall, sweeter than anticipated- didn't expect much, didn't get much. (875 characters)

2.89/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I had a bottle of this, it was pretty average for the style, the only thing going for it really is an increased abv threshold. I think for the price it isn't bad, but it really doesn't have much in the way of flavor beyond a corn pop type sweetness. I can't say it is really a flawed beer meaning having noticeable flavor deficiencies unless you consider lack of flavor one, then it is pretty bland which is why I gave it a below average score (443 characters)

I was at a 40th soiree tonight and there wan't much choice so I went with something I had not tried...the budlight platinum. The beer poured a clear solid yellow with initial fizzy head that disipated quickly and left no lace. The smell was typical of most light lager....hints of wheat and grass. The taste was a bit fuller than typical bud light which is an improvement. The mouthfeel was still lighter with big carbonation. Overall it was drinkable. (452 characters)

2.57/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I really tried to judge this beer on its own merits and not as an AB product, but even in a blind taste test this would be awful. Appearance wise, it has the typical, inoffensive pale golden color of a light lager. The smell was somewhat sweet and malty, if very faintly so. The taste is what killed it for me. Light malt-liquour is what comes to mind. Sweet, cloying, yet watery; no dimension or complexity, not even a discernible taste of malts or hops. Over carbonated and thin. I realise that ajunct light lagers have their place in the market and some are even drinkable, but this is a truly awful beer that would appeal to NO ONE. The taste would be a turn off to most light beer drinkers, I would assume. If someone is looking for a higher ABV beer to get drunk on, but doesn't want to stray from the recognised Budweiser name, then I suppose that would be the only market buying this stuff repeatedly. As for me, one bottle was plenty enough, and a second tasting holds zero appeal at all. (997 characters)

2.68/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle into pint glass.

A- The color is similar to piss on a somewhat well-hydrated day. A two inch white fizzy head similar to that of sprite or 7up lasted about a minute. Carbonation continued to bubble to the surface as the beer sat. Better looking than most adjunct garbage.

S- Smells of slightly sour dry grass/hay. Biscuity malts and bland adjuncts dominate with a bit of sweet corn and very little hop aroma.

T- Much sweeter tasting than a typical Budweiser. White bread with honey and a bit a caramel. Good maltiness. This actually tastes much better than the Coors Light I drank before.

M- Not thin! Lots of carbonation, as is the custom with American cheap lagers. Good body for a light beer.

O- Platinum far exceeds my expectations. That is not to say it is a great beer (793 characters)

3.38/5  rDev +48.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pokal glass. Pours pale gold with a two-finger length white head that dissipates at a moderate pace compared to Bud Light or Budweiser. There are a lot of tiny bubbles visible in this beer. The beer smells of grain husks, bread, and some alcohol. The taste is bready and sweet with some alcohol. The hops are very subtle. It tastes like a malt liquor with a ligher body. The body is light with strong carbonation. The carbonation is high enough to prevent any sort of aftertaste. The finish is crisp. The beer drinks very easy. Surprisingly, I find this beer to be decent for what it is. It seems like AB-Inbev is just trying to cleverly package a malt liquor and boost the sales using the Bud Light label. A light beer this is not. (746 characters)

1.52/5  rDev -33.3%

A: poured from a 12oz bottle to a frosty iced pint glass. It left about a 4" head that I had to scoop out to finish pouring. Kinda looks like carbonated urine.

S: bready, malty, alcohol, not much else here

T: breast malt that finishes with a hefty taste of alcohol. Taste like it smells, but not as bad as it looks

M: very high carbonation, clean and watered down

O: this is a terrible beer, it's not balanced at all. The only reason I grabbed it is because the gas station didn't have any good beer and figured I'd give it a shot... (537 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -1.3%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a light golden color with a one finger head and no lacing.

S: Bready malts, corn, and some alcohol. Not very appealing.

T: The taste isn't as bad as the smell. Malty and slightly watered down, but not terrible at all. Slight sweetness in the aftertaste.

M: Light bodied with good carbonation.

O: About what you would expect from a higher gravity Bud Light. It's drinkable, but I'd rather have a Steel Reserve. (466 characters)

2.21/5  rDev -3.1%

Ocean blue bottle, the one and only. Very few places I could just buy ONE bottle, so let's see how this turns out. Poured into a shaker pint.

From the bottle pours a classic straw yellow, but a real bright gold crystal clear, like a window. Head is fluffly white, snaps with lots of carbonation and falls to a collar very quickly. Slow rising carbonation comes up, mostly cola sized but just a few bubbles. Some appealing and not so appealing characters. I call average.

Nose is rank. A real strange chemical component on this. Dry. Varnishy. Unfortunately not much else. Not a real attractive profile, but for the most part it is also quite closed.

Palate hits with a little bit of expected wetness, but there's some thickness hinting at syrup like body. Corny sweet aftertaste, but also with a little bit of honey. A little bit of noticeable carbonation that seems to make a good cut through the sweetness. Alcohol is quite noticeable on the finish, and this gets quite boozy for even just 6%, somewhat fussel like also. Stomach bomb hot after several sips.

Interesting palate, and almost passable for myself, but just hints at a bit too much sweetness. One and done, I lived. (1,182 characters)

1.6/5  rDev -29.8%

What can I say, its a glorified Bud Light with a slightly higher alc content. Cool if you plan on playing beer pong or kings and a high school party. This beers a joke.

Appearance- Clear piss yellow sitting in a glass, should have kept it in the bottle. Absolutely no head, which is meh.

Smell- This has to be the worst part of the beer because I hate the way any BMC beer smells, which is cheap and corny.

Taste- I was surprised when I tried it at first, it had a little bit of a sharpness to it but not nearly enough to hide the bud light taste.

Overall- Do not waste your money and go for anything else. (612 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +114%

I had reservations about buying this as it's a little stronger than I am used to, but let me tell you, I was pleasantly surprised!

A-The appearance is nothing short of beautiful. The golden, honey colored beer excited me as it was poured into a very bulbous snifter, which I had purchased at McGovern's (a great place to have a cold one, by the way). The lacing was like fine art. The carbonation yielded a nice finger's worth of head which told me I was in for a treat!

S-As I tilted the glass towards my head, I couldn't help but become overwhelmed by the delightful aroma which filled my nostrils. A pleasant blend of hops, barley and all that is great. The carbonation tickled my nose, which made me giggle. The only reason it got a 4.5 is because I had passed gas just before I drank.

M-The mouthfeel was nothing short of amazing. It was like a party in my mouth, but not a regular party, a party like you'd see in a movie.

T-The taste was nothing short of amazing. The years of craftsmanship that went into this godly nectar were very apparent. A smooth, wheaty flavor at first, then a crisp, ballsy finish.

O-Overall, I can not wait to crack open another one of these babies and get down to business. Another fine product, brought to us by a little brewery in the heart of America. (1,298 characters)

1.77/5  rDev -22.4%

This poured out looking a lot like ginger ale... yellowish gold in color with a fizzy white head on top. The head vanishes and leaves nothing behind to look at on the glass or on top of the beer. The beer is clear and slightly bubbly. yellow water is what it honestly looks like. The smell of the beer has some aromas of light grains and corn... nothing really stands out. The taste is bland and gives off what I felt like chemical flavors or chlorine. The mouthfeel is water, thin, carbonated but just boring. Overall it's pretty bad... I can't seem to come up with a really good reason to buy this beer. (605 characters)

2.11/5  rDev -7.5%

First light beer review ever. Try anything once rule, plus the realization that as someone who thinks malt liquors are underrated I've already had at least somewhat favorable views of a couple A-B products, so here we are. Let's do this.

Deuce-deuce bottle fills mug very high very clear damn near white yellow. Super effervescent, head barely blinks. Very faint (as in "any closer and my nose would be *in* the beer") scent suggestive of apple, sweet corn, & cheap bubble gum. Not particularly appetizing, yet not as terrible as I expected. Actually smells better than King Cobra (which I've reconsidered upward as of late) despite being same ABV & brewer, which makes me wonder how they swung this strength without amping up smell. All that is left is to taste this...

Cracker-ish note comes in on top of what the very faint scent says, though the sweeter part comes through with surprising aggression for a light beer. It needs that though, as it goes down like soda water.

Honestly, if you want a cheap drink & are down with this level, I'd say opt for the Cobra. It may smell worse, but it tastes better & is usually cheaper (I paid 2.29 for this; Cobra is only 20 cents more around here for a 40). First light beer review? LAST light beer review. (1,255 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -11.8%

I must admit that around the time of the Super Bowl last year I quickly fell prey to AB’s strong ad campaign for this new beer. Everything about it really drew me in from the blue bottle to the higher abv to the rampant commercials featuring my favorite songs. I was excited by the price and was hoping for a good beer available in six packs for the price of your average light beer. I would argue that this is a better drink than your typical Bud Light, but not remarkably so. It still has a watery, metallic taste to it, despite a slight sweetness. It’s the same yellowing-golden color as Bud Light and has a slightly thicker head which dissipates with such speed most might miss it, it also leaves no lacing. So Platinum pales in comparison to most high-class bottled beers, but the role that it fulfills as a step above your average light beer for college parties, I’d say it gets the job done. I also found that it sold very well initially, as the three liquor stores I frequent were almost always sold out of it by the weekend and the owners mentioned its popularity among everyone from young drinkers to middle-age, blue collar drinkers. The crossing of demographics is an important part of Ab’s success in much of its drinks. Finally, I will never tire of its cool blue bottle. (1,293 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -19.3%

This beer is purely a gimmick, the name and the bottle is what sells. To me the taste is not that of a lager... it is more reminiscent of a malt liquor mixed with the dregs off a bud light. It has a slightly sweet taste and any note of hops is left almost entirely in the after taste. The mouth feel is really not that great, again I keep associating it with a malt liquor/beer hybrid. The smell is honestly horrific, it's the smell I would associate with something 1/3 the cost that would come out of a 40oz bottle... even then I have had beer in that category that is way better than this. The color is basically what you would expect from any light American style lager; clear and straw colored. The carbonation goes away quickly.

I would have given this a slightly better overall rating if it were not for the price of this "beer"; it's about $7 for a six pack which is way overpriced for what you are getting. This beer should be much cheaper and come in 24oz cans and 30packs as it is just a "get drunk beer".

AB dropped the ball on this one, I know people who buy this stuff on a regular basis and swear by it... These guys are not open minded beer drinkers; they only drink light clear American beer. To people like them I say save some cash and buy a 12pack of keystone or bud Ice for the same price as a 6er of BLP, better flavor, and the same alcohol content. (1,373 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -1.3%

Almost a half finger of head, big bubbles and quickly (5 seconds) gone to nothing. Clear, golden colored body.
Faint grain smell.
Fairly sweet overall. The mildest bitterness at the beginning.
Medium body, good for a light lager. Moderate carbonation.
While this is better than normal Bud Light, it's still a Bud Light. The blue bottle probably looks amazing in the clubs though. (380 characters)

2.03/5  rDev -11%

Oy. This is not a good beer. Like a slightly more bitter and funky Bud, which takes it from regular Bud's watery inoffensiveness into something more sinister and unappetizing.

Bud is trying to position it as some sort of "premium" beer, but once the novelty wears off really the only people buying it will be die-hard Budweiser loyalists who just want to get smashed without having to drink so many beers to get there. Or possibly the same loyalists who buy it for something more "upscale".

Either way it's just not worth the money, the headache, or the shame of buying it to experiment. Not even close. (607 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -17.5%

The deli next door began stocking it last week, so I bought a six-pack to try. It looks very bubbly, like pale cider or dark champagne. Smells like bready malt liquor with a distant hint of fermenting apples. Tastes slightly sour, like stale raisins or a shot of cheap wine poured into a glass of watered-down whisky. Feels brightly carbonated with a clean, quickly dissipating aftertaste.

Overall: I judge a light lager on whether or not I'd want to drink a bunch of it with my friends. Bud Light Platinum is a bit too sour and is priced too high for that, but it has 1% to 2% higher ABV than most light lagers, so I could see it being an okay second or third pitcher at the bar, if it ever made it to the tap. (712 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -24.1%

I don't know. Temporary insanity. I am so conditioned to buy new singles at the supermarket that I don't think about the implications. Only after pouring that I even realized the bottle is blue glass like it's selling Zima or something. Can you even get Zima anymore? Anyhoo, yeah, this beer looks like apple juice, smells like nasty seltzer, and tastes like rusty carbonated water. It's terrible, but you knew that already. Just another gimmick to keep an old idea fresh for a minute. (485 characters)

1.46/5  rDev -36%

12oz bottle poured into a tumbler.

Appearance: Pale straw yellow, thin white head - barest level of lacing noted.

Smell: Practically none, maybe a hint of grain.

Taste: At first nothing, then a bit of crispness following by a really bad sweet finish. It's like the hops were left out or were not dosed properly. The sweetness isn't even enjoyable...it's quite unpleasant like something else off has been mixed in there. I thought maybe it was the food I had with this (cheese and crackers) but drank some water and tried again. Nope - not good.

Mouthfeel: Watery, but not fizzy. Otherwise nothing special.

Overall / Drinkability: I could not finish this because of the taste. I'm not sure what they were thinking behind this one but this is not a good lager nor is it a good beer. Appearance is probably the only thing this beer has going for it. To the best of my knowledge, the first time I was unable to finish a beer to date. I don't like to be down on beer at all, but this one is poorly put together - at least to my tastebuds anyway. (1,047 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -0.9%

Appearance: The prince of beer is bedecked in cobalt blue. Platinum shining from his digits. Like his father, the pale, sallow, yellowed skin holds a wispy trace of white atop its head. Lively.

Smell: Skins fresh from the orchard mix with the stale stench of alcohol. He must have taken a morning stroll. Pale, vaguely sweet, mute promises of something greater. He spiked his lager with cider, a mystery to behold. Bathing is a sea of apple juice and fresh peeled skin. He must enjoy it with cereal.

Taste: Trailing his fingers through the grass, our prince reaches his orchard. Juice splatters his chin as the sharp bite of apple splashes in the grass. A maid to the side reminds him of hay, rolling. Sweet lingering traces of bread from the morning. So pale, so sweet. His breath carries the ever present trace of alcohol muted by damp fruit and musty hay. Back through the grass, perhaps a cracker will settle his stomach.

Mouthfeel: The prince is bright, light on his feet, and bubbly. His charisma can only carry him so far.

Overall: I believe our prince found himself in the bottom of a cheap paper bag. (1,114 characters)

2.54/5  rDev +11.4%

22-oz. bomber into a pint glass at my house on Oct. 13, 2012 (purchased at Village Square Liquor & Kegs in San Diego for $2.99 (estimated, forgot to grab a receipt) on Oct. 13, 2012). Pale clear with 1 ½ fingers of white head that dissipated immediately. No retention on the tops or the sides.

Smelled bread, hay, cereal, corn, grass, light caramel and light honey. Surprisingly a bit enticing.

Tasted like a stronger version of the smell. Could definitely taste the alcohol. Got cereal, honey, corn, yeast and a sugary sweet malt.

Light body. Thin texture. Average-to-soft carbonation. Abrupt watery finish.

Not a bad beer for the type. Shame on me for thinking it would be better. A nice change of pace from the boring old Bud Light. (741 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -1.3%

A - very pale and clear beer. Almost like water. 6% labeled on a purple bottle. Carbonation was minimum. Negligible lacing.

S - a very slight/light smell of corn.

T - no hops detectable by my palate. No taste of malt either yet you knew it was a beer.

M - light body one step above water.

O - I will not order this beer again. A very pale totally neutral beer. (364 characters)

1.45/5  rDev -36.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Was hanging out with a friend and he handed this to me. Poured from a 12 fl. oz. bottle into clear plastic cup(was at friends apartment and that's all he had unfortunately)

A- Very pale yellow, poured with barely any head that did not linger, almost no lacing.

S- Very grapey, with the slightest hint of hops.

T- Like water with grapes and some hops. wanted to throw it down the drain but wanted to be polite to the friend that so graciously gave it to me.

M- Watery, thin, typical of the brand.

O- Bad beer. I don't know the price on this but it is probably way overpriced. Avoid, avoid, avoid (600 characters)

3.12/5  rDev +36.8%

the head doesn't lace at all, little bubbles on top just form constellations and slowly fade away. fuck it, I am drunk! enjoying some 22's after a shift. this will do, for now. blue bottles make it snazzy, taste in yer nazzty but not as bad as tequila
DON'T BE FOOLED BY THE NECKBEARD, I AM BALLIN' IN SO CAL!!! (311 characters)

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch