Get FREE shipping on all US orders of $25 or more from the BeerAdvocate Store.

No promo code required. Offer valid through 4/30.

Ready to gear up? Start shopping →

Style: Light Lager

Added by DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Reviews: 324 | Ratings: 1,787
2.05/5  rDev -10.1%

I saw this during the Superbowl and recall finding it to be the most hilarious and entertaining commercial. Probably not what they intended.

Appearance: I poured this into a high class snifter; I usually reserve this for my good beers like Bourbon County Brand Stout or §ucaba. With a viscous pour I got a nice one inch thick virgin white head. The body is actually a nice looking golden hue. Looking back at the head and it's already gone. Like it was never there at all. I watch a bubble stream float it's way to the surface.

Smell: From a foot and a half away suddenly I'm not sitting in my home. I'm back in the action. My last cup still on the table with a ping pong ball in it. My partner already missed his one rebuttal. I bounce the ball on the table and look at my two opponents mocking me with various distracting poses. Shouts telling me to hurry up impede my focus. I bounce the ball again on the table and envision victory. My arm cocks back in a way that will be drilled into muscle memory for all time and I release... I take their cups from their side and raise it to my face in defeat.... that smell.... brings me back.

Taste: It's a "more flavor" bud-light. But is it a flavor you want? No. Well actually I've had worse beers. This beer taste bad in a blah way and now that there is more flavor you get that "Blah" taste even more.

Mouthfeel: I drank this beer very cold and very fast.

Overall: If I could go back in time and have the money I'd only play beer pong with this beer. It really hides the 6.0% very well.

2.15/5  rDev -5.7%

Honestly, not a terrible beer. It pours like a bud light. Its pretty bad, but not the worst. Looks like BL. translucent light straw with no head. Shared with George Adams. It smells like light toffee and caramel, but i mean its so subdued that its hard to find.

Honestly, it doesnt taste offensive at first, but it develops into something awful. the extra malt just adds the same malt flavors, but just more of them. Feels light and crisp.

1.86/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Pours from its classy, premium blue bottle with a small head of white foam that disappears very quickly and leaves no lace. The body is a perfectly clear, golden color.

S - A sweet, grainy note with a hint of green apple.

T - Sweet, thick bready notes up front. Some green apple and grainy character in the middle and a fairly clean finish with just a touch of artificial sweetener.

M - Medium body, moderate carbonation, and a slightly dry finish.

D - So, despite the incredibly upscale packaging this pretty much tastes like Bud Light with some nutrasweet in it. In fact, I am pretty sure I just cracked the secret of Bud Light Platinum, time to stake out the local AB brewery and try to get a picture of the truck delivering loads of fake sugar.

1.38/5  rDev -39.5%

This beer pours pale yellow with fizzy bubbles and wispy head. Aroma is of crackly sweet adjuncts, corn and rice?

Taste is fizzy and astringent, bitter and not in a good way. No trace of aromatic hops, but cloying sweet rice and cereal.

Finishes like sour milk, very gross. It gives me gas and a headache. I can't stand it.

2.39/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A- pours a very pale gold with a one finger white head that fades instantly. You can't even pretend to give me some head retention here? Cmon

S- a light aroma of corn and malts...it doesn't smell AWFUL, but not great either

T- actually....it doesn't taste bad. I'd put it a notch above Bud Light. Mild sweetness, no bitterness at all....very refreshing, to be honest

M- very thin and watery texture and body

O- you could do a lot worse for a light lager. The alcohol is hidden very well. For what it is, it's excellent

2.48/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Extremely pale (almost clear when pouring) and completely clear straw. Medium sized fizzy white head. Fades relatively quickly. Little scribbles of lacing here and there.

S: Almost no aroma. I get a tiny bit of corn and bready malt. Barely perceptible.

T: Corn and then a touch of grainy bread on the back end. Some sweetness comes through, especially as it warms.

M: Somewhat watery.

O: Well, I'm trying to be objective here. I gave it low scores, but it's not horrible. It doesn't taste like hot trash. It didn't give me herpes (yet). It just has almost no aroma or taste, so how can I give it much of a score? Basically some mild adjuncts and cereal grain and that is it. It is drinkable, of course. Why wouldn't it be, it's not really all that far from water. What's more drinkable than water? If I had no other options and I wanted to get drunk quickly and easily, why not pick this beer?

3.35/5  rDev +46.9%

This is Bud Light with more alchol content...it is good and not much else to be said.

Definetly a good tailgate beer, and a great beer to have while working in the yard or while grilling out with your buddies.

I recommend it but beer snobs will more than likely diss it as it is not complex or a micro brew.

1.38/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a Pilsner Glass, bought this as part of a mix-a-six

Appearance - Very pale straw yellow color which almost looks white. This looks like straight up urine you'd find in a doctor's office.

Smell - Steamed Cooked Veggies, Cereal Grains, and Alcohol. It's like they took Bud Light and added some extra alcohol in here. This does not smell good at all!

Taste - Everything that was bad about the smell is not much better in the flavor. Cooked Sweet Corn, cereal grains, and rubbing alcohol. It's like they took Bud Light and added some Everclear to it.

Mouthfeel - This beer is super-carbonated, but at least it's crisp feeling....not that it helps any! Also, I'm getting a headache from this thing, and I'm not even done with it yet

Overall - This is an insult to the word "beer". You see.... beer should be a wonderful thing, not an ugly abomination like this. I'm going to sum it up in one phrase directed at Anheuser-Busch "This beer is bad and you should feel bad!"

1.91/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Snappy blue bottle. Pours clear pale yellow with a fizzy finger of foam that persists. Smell is breads and grains. Taste reminded me immedately of a sort of lightweight champale. Maybe a low sugar moscato. I only get the faintest hint of 'beer' taste. It's mildly sweet, fizzy, grainy. You can detect the bud light family genes as well. We worked our way through half a twelve pack. After drinking several from the bottle, one from a glass, my brother Chris added half a bottle to some orange juice and stated that it made a passably decent mimosa. I'm sure people that dislike the beer flavor of beer will really go for Platinum.

2.8/5  rDev +22.8%

Remarkable. This has got to be the most flavorless beer I've ever experienced. The faintest bit of sweet corn and a touch of alcohol and that's it.
However, I would label this beer a resounding success in that I believe this is exactly what AB was trying to produce. Truly a beer for people who don't like the taste of beer.
I can't say it's not drinkable either. It's highly drinkable because there's just not anything there to dislike flavor-wise.
A cold one on a hot day would be fine, but I like the taste of beer and therefore would pass on this.

3.11/5  rDev +36.4%

This particular brew is uneventful. Slightly sweeter mouthfeel than the original Bud Light, and has a sharper acidity. It is not a bad beer, but the smell is reminiscent of bad, stale bread. I would try it once to get it out of your system, then to other brews it is...

1.5/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Thin white foam dissapates quickly ou of the bottle. Leaves a few trace elements of residual foam on he surface, looks more like an oil slick than lacing. Hyper carbonated. Medium yellow, crystal clear body - looks like concentrated urine (the dehydrated type).

Smell: Slightly stronger smell (with the same profile) as Bud Light. Odor of earthy-wheaty maybe rice(y) grains with definite strong, malty overtones (like malt liquor).

Taste: Slightly, malty sweet on the front end. Tastes like a cross between the dry, acrid taste of Bud Light and Mickeys. Hrrrggh... Kinda throws me off.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Slightly heavier than a regular bud with a sort of buttery smoothness.

I would say its not an improvement over Bud Light but its definitely stronger. I'll be enjoying that later tonight at Lazer Tag.

2.49/5  rDev +9.2%

A: Very pale and clear golden color with a thin white head that recedes pretty quickly.

S: Kind of gross. Nothing but sweet malt and grain. Very malt liquor-ish.

T: Again, the sweetness is a bit much with nothing else in there to stand up to it. Some boiled corn, grain and bready yeast on the finish that grows as it warms. This is far from being the worst thing out there, but it's still not good.

2.25/5  rDev -1.3%

A-Pours golden and clear. Slight head with not much lacing.

S-Smells like a boozier BL. Grains and a lack of other smells. Just that unmistakble BL smell but more intense.

T-Bud Light with more intensity. Boozier. Grainier. Still light andwatery. Would have expected it be grosser. It is gross but not as gross as I was expecting it to be.

M-Light still. Bubbly. A bit boozy. Watery. Still has a light fee.

O/D-Thought it would be worse but it still blew.

2.38/5  rDev +4.4%

Appearance: Pours out a clear, yellow body with a small, fizzly, white head that doesn't stick around for long. A few trails of effervescence fail to support the head.

Smell: Just a small sniff of husky bland barley and booze.

Taste: Faintly grainy with a scant cereal sweetness. A little booze. It's akin to a baby malt liquor. Sweetish, lightly husky, lightly astringent finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Overall: It's bad when a beer makes you want a Bud Light.

2.25/5  rDev -1.3%

Anheuser-Bush sure can market a product! This beer accomplishes the goal of what I believe many of the drinkers who buy this product want to accomplish, get a buzz faster. I was suckered into purchasing this beer from the marketing campaign and the electric blue bottle. This beer tastes much like its Bud Light roots a rice/corn blended taste with an almost malt-liquor mouth feel. Many people who enjoy Bud Light will probably enjoy this as well.

3.31/5  rDev +45.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into SA perfect pint.

A: Pours an extremely clear, pale yellow hue with a humungous, billowing, pillowy bright white head that slowly fizzed away into a faint scum. Sparse soapy lace.
S: Not much. I get a hint of some yeast and peppery spice. Very light.
T: Sweet and doughy notes of lightly bready malt and a hint of peppery, spicy, hops and lager yeast. Not much to the taste but it seems sweeter and breadier than normal BL.
M: Body is fuller than regular BL and the mouthfeel is less watery. Carbonation is definitely fuller as well although I would say its fuller when drinking straight out of the bottle than poured into the glass.
O: I find Coors to be better than Budweiser in general because I get a nasty aftertaste in AB products. This however, was actually quite clean and crisp. Given the choice, this trumps regular BL. Pretty drinkable actually, and not terrible as it warms.

1.97/5  rDev -13.6%

pours out of the blue bottle a pale straw yellow colour with a quickly dissipating snow white head leaving no lace. corny, cereal aroma...a bit of a highly attentuated malt liquor aroma. the taste is also reminiscent of malt liquor...sweet adjunct taste, sort of unpleasant actually. i like the occasional malt liquor, but mostly stick with miller products as A-B varieties just mostly taste bad to me. and this one is really no different. shallow body and a semi-cloying, carbonated mouthfeel. drinakability really isn't that good either. i drank this after a long walk when i knew i would be thirsty, and it did not hit the spot, as say, regular Budweiser often does for me.

overall a disappointment, and i wasn't expecting much. i hope my wife wants to drink the rest of six pack.

2.06/5  rDev -9.6%

Felt bad to ask for a glass. So I didn't. It was free, thanks Valencio.

Smelled like apple and wet cardboard. Soggy grains, wet cereal.
Tasted similar, more apple and soggy graininess. It has a touch more malt flavor than standard issue Bud Light. Mild taste, flaccid feel, utterly dull and insipid flavor wise. Biting astringent carbonation, watery aftertaste. Pretty much bullshit any way you slice it... whee, liquid garbage.

1.53/5  rDev -32.9%

Really not much to say that I'm sure hasn't been said already. No real appearance to speak of. Not really any smell or taste that I'm guessing was the intention. Overall really just a alcohol delivery device. And I'm my opinion not a very good one. Bourbon works faster and taste better in my opinion.

1.3/5  rDev -43%

Generally, I go through and do a pretty detailed job on my beer reviews. To me, beer reviewing is as much art as science, and I take a lot of pride in my reviews. I take notes, I do my homework on the styles, I really enjoy tasting, drinking, and reviewing beer.

That beng said, I am not going to waste a lot of energy on this review. I try to avoid reviewing too many macro products, although this is not my first, but I kind of think it's a little lame. Anyway...

This beer looks a lot like any other macro when you pour it. Straw colored, very clear, no real head or lacing. It eally doesn't smell like much at all. Maybe corn or some slight grains.

It pretty much tastes like a thicker, nastier version of Bud Light. Not a huge fan of either product. Highly carbonated finish.

Overall, this beer is not good. I got this beer from a party where the buyer (not me) didn't want it (I wonder why), so I took it home. Six free beers, why not? For the price I have seen this selling for, no way. If I'm going macro, give me Busch Light, Coors, or Natty.

1.06/5  rDev -53.5%

I picked up a 12 pack in bottles because I was curious about Bud coming out with a 6% abv AND they offered a $4.00 rebate. I thought, I'll give it try for $8.00 since it's the holidays and I like to keep a few lite fizzy beers on hand for my family. In a word...terrible. It has no smell, taste, mouthfeel, lacing or head. I can honestly say that I would never recommend this beer to anyone.

2.22/5  rDev -2.6%

12 Ounce blue bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Light yellow in color with a white head that disappears really fast

Smell: It has a little bit of an odd, almost hard cider, type smell to it. Being that it is not a hard cider it seems a little strange, but it may be just an alcohol scent more then anything.

Taste: There is an initial taste that is almost alcohol type taste that fades fairly quick leaving little else. There is a little bit of a sweetness that might be described as more of a corn sweetness more then anything.

Note: As far as macro beers go, I actually do like Bud products. I am glad I tried this but it probably would not be something I would get again. If I had a choice between this and Bud Light I would take the regular Bud Light.

1.03/5  rDev -54.8%

Wow, just wow! Let's take a bad product increase the strength but make it taste worse. I think they've done that. It was fizzy, yellow and clear. Smells like....nothing. Corn, maybe? It tasted like corn and water. Mouthfeel is fizzy and highly carbonated. Overall, this is just as bad if not worse than Bud Light. Simply amazing.

2.19/5  rDev -3.9%

Got this as an extra in a trade with youradhere. Thanks Jim! I think...

12oz bottle.

A- Pours a crystal clear light golden color with a sudsy white foam that fizzles away to a ring.

S- There is almost zero aroma to this beer. I think I can pick out a faint grain smell with some seltzer water. Not much else going on.

T- Mostly sweetness in the taste with a touch of rice and cereal grain. Enough alcohol in the finish to notice.

M- Light bodied with moderate carbonation.

O- I've certainly had worse beers but I won't have this one again any time soon. Thanks to my trading partner I won't have to waste money on my own 6pk.

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch