Join our email list →

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Light Lager | 6.00% ABV

Beer added by: DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Platinum Alström Bros
Reviews: 321 | Hads: 1,762
1.75/5  rDev -23.2%

Bottle poured into a Crate & Barrel bar glass. No head to speak of. Pale yellow, similar in appearance to a standard Bud Light.

Not sure what the purpose of this beer is, other than to give fans of Bud Light and other macro lagers a quicker path to a buzz. Really doesn't have a pleasant flavor at all. Brought back memories of my days bar hopping on Thames St. Newport when I drank any cheap beer I could get my hands on.

My advice - if you want a decent light beer, spend a couple extra bucks and pick up some Sam Adams Light.

2.34/5  rDev +2.6%

12oz bottle

A- Poured into a pint glass. Pours a clear golden yellow color, the same color as my good wedding ring.

S- The aroma is grainy malts and an ever so slight note of hops.

T- The taste has a bit more flavor than your standard bud light. The taste starts out with some sweetness from the grain and finishes with just a touch of hops. The alcohol was next to non-existent when I first opened the bottle but it creeps up fast as the beer warms up a little which is a detriment to the beer.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a high amount of carbonation.

O- Overall, this is definitely a step up from Bud Light in the flavor department but lacks in the drinkability department due to the higher ABV. I would definitely take this over a Bud Light, but it is not something I would buy on a regular basis especially if there is a better craft option available.

Let me start by saying I sampled one of these after trying a Southern Tier Choklat. This high ABV Bud is very similar to Bud Light but you get more alcohol and well disguised to boot. I really don't taste anything bad, different etc. from any other BMC Light products. If you want the mediocre flavors of a BMC but don't want to down a 6 pack before you get a buzz...then this is your beer. Nothing good/nothing bad...enjoy!

1.82/5  rDev -20.2%

Rather spiffy looking blue bottle into pint glass.

Very clear, only slightly golden tinted.... Kinda yellow in color actually. Half finger white head settled quickly. A half dozen spots of lacing hang back, taunting me with their soulless presence.

Smells surprisingly decent-- a little cider-like quality comes across as airy and light. The boiled corn sneaks in as this warms up though.
The "flavor" is virtually nonexistent, sans the abundance of alcohol on the finish. A light grainy sweetness up front. No bitterness.

Feel is about medium, and has a ton of carbonation-- par for the BMC course.

Overall-- not sure exactly what the demographic for this one is meant to be, but I like the reversal of the trend to make "light lagers" come in under 3% ABV.
Calorie to alcohol ratio has to better here than if some one drank 3 of the Bud Select 55s!

Still, not a beer I'll be drinking again. Way too much alcohol and too little flavor. You're better off with some Malt Liquor.

2.47/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from what I have to admit is a pretty cool looking blue bottle...

Appearance - Never seen this before - really didn't pour any head at all, poured the last half "really rough", and it fizzed for a moment which immediately disappeared. No head at all here - NONE. Color is a perfectly transparent light yellow/gold.

Smell - Hmmmm, light biscuits, faint sweet apples and pears.

Taste - Same as the nose, very light apples and pears, some crispy biscuit is in there too. You can taste alcohol at the end of the sip. Flavors are very light and watered down. Almost tastes like watered down sparkling apple juice with a shot of vodka added.

Mouthfeel - Very thin and watery, medium+ carb adds some nice tingle and crispness, but all of this is very light.

Overall - It's better than bud light, and the flavor really isn't all that bad for what this is. I don't get the corn/adjunct flavors in this at all, it's actually quite light and crisp, and the flavors are definitely pear and apple - but again they are Very light. Ultra drinkable, almost goes down like water. If you want a cheap, lo-cal buzz that has very light crisp apple n biscuits flavor, then try this.

1.78/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured into a pint glass and showed a little head and lacing to my suprise.

APPEARANCE --- Clear, pale yellow

SMELL --- Can barely smell anything at all, sweet alcohol?

TASTE --- This is really hard to describe other than it has virtually no flavor at all. It tastes like sparkling water with a drop of sugary Jack Daniels.

I only paid $5.99 for the sixer but nonetheless I still felt overcharged. This "beer" is only good for people who want to catch a quick buzz and not really savor a good brew.

1.98/5  rDev -13.2%

12oz blue bottle, pours extra pale with a white, fizzy head that dissipates to nothing in a minute or so. It's paler than I expected, but the clarity is stunning. Aromas are weak with some corn & grain. Tastes are weak and watery, not much more in flavor compared to it's original, Bud Light. Mild grain, cereal, and a sugary sweetness are about it here. It's sweeter than Bud Light and the extra alcohol leaves a slight prickle on the tongue. Mouth-feel is thin and highly carbonated; it does go down smoothly though. Overall, I guess I was hoping for more here with the sleek packaging and extra ABV, even though expectations were set low to begin with. Glad a friend bought this for me. Not worth buying yourself.

1.56/5  rDev -31.6%

I don't normally review beers I'm sure I won't enjoy, but since a friend already made the mistake of paying money for this stuff, I gave it a whirl.

Pale clear yellow, like yellowish water. The only thing I smell is yeast, smells like the trub you leave behind in your brewing pail.

I'd love to say that it tastes nasty, offensive or terrible, but the truth is that it really doesn't have a taste. It's like bubbly water with some corn extract flavor. I've had worse tasting beers, but at least they tasted like beer. This is nothing. Not worth the time at all.

1.26/5  rDev -44.7%

Half of a 12 oz bottle poured into a pony glass

A- Clear golden color with a small white head.

S- Weak, some sweet corn and grains...not good...

T- Watery sweet corn...

M- Light water...

O- Sucks, not worth the money, sweet water...Me and my friend decided ti see what is about and were disappointed...time for something good...

2.11/5  rDev -7.5%

A complimentary sample from the owner of one of my local pubs (which was good, now I don't have to spend money on it). Served in stemless flute. The beer was a VERY pale yellow, clean and clear, I could easily read through the beer. The beer had about 1/2 inch of white head that had no retention or lacing.

The only aroma to come across the nose was a very slight grain scent, no real malt or hop presence. The story on the tongue was much the same, the grain was a bit more prominent, but still no hops showing up.

The body, as expected, was very thin and watery and had a high level of carbonation. The beer was smoothly drinkable, but why would you want to drink several of these? Overall, pretty much you'd expect from this beer. I was surprised to learn that this beer was 6% ABV however. I suspect that Inbev hit their target when they made this brew, but there's really not much for a craft beer lover to like about this offering. I drank it so you don't have to.

2.73/5  rDev +19.7%

I knew I would never pay for this so when my brother offered me one I was slightly eager to try it.

A - Well it looks like a light lager, piss yellow with a 1/4 inch of white head that is very fizzy. As expected.

S - Well it smells better than a regular bud which in my opinion is not even palatable. Sweet malts and the faintest of hopping make up this corny brew.

T - Well it defiantly better than bud light hands down. Light corn flavor, sugary sweet malts, and no hops in the flavor. Eh.

M - Light bodied as expected for this light lager.

Overall if offered again (usually when the good stuff is gone) it's perfectly drinkable. Not something I would buy even if it was cheap as hell.

1.5/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A Bottle poured into a mug, light yellow, small white head that leaves quickly, very little lacing.

S Bread, corn

T Corn, metallic, bland

M Carbonation, bland, watery, can feel the 6% alcohol in my mouth and not much else.

O Bought a sixer for 6.99 to give it a try, won't buy it again. It is too bland for my tastes. Would drink Bud Ice over this. The blue bottles are cool though.

3.32/5  rDev +45.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer really cannot be compared to a good craft beer. It is a light beer that has been jacked up to 6%. It is a perfect beer for a six pack that won't pack on 3 pounds in one post-work afternoon.
The look smell and taste are to be expected. It's a bud light with slightly more malt and an ever so slight hop characteristic. It is the perfect beer for a weekday afternoon. I'll save the la fin du monde for the weekends.

2.21/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Back in November when a fellow female craft drinker told me about BL Platinum I wanted to try it. Then I read an article and saw the Zima-ish blue bottles and I HAD to try it. Boasts a 6% ABV. WOW! A whole 1% more than Bud "Heavy". Try an IPA you macro so-called macho men. This 5'0 115lb girl can handle some Barleywines. But enough of the trash talk. Let's go for the heart of the issue; the review.

Twist off bottle and into a Coors shaker glass (I like a little rivalry). Wow does this stink. Sweet and boozy like a Hurricane. Who pours malt liquor unless for a dead homie? But this isn't supposed to be a malt liquor, right? Tastes very sweet and corny. Like...you guessed it, a watered down Hurricane. It's not bad for what it is: A beer for people that don't like beer and want to get tanked quicker. If you're in this category just stick with the Jungle Juice.

2.5/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a medium straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured sweet adjuncts and a light herbal hop.

The taste consisted of the same sweet malts with a neat light hop.

The mouthfeel was toward the fuller side of the style.

I really don't understand the point of this beer. If someone wants a heavier Bud Light then, well, try a Bud.

1.55/5  rDev -32%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very light straw yellow color, with a short white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains very light malts along with adjuncts and a very faint bit of hops.

T: The taste starts with a mild breadiness from adjuncts and a thin malt character, Then some malt sweetness quickly follows. The hops presence is almost non-existent but brings a least a little bit of balance. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: A little crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, finish is clean.

D: There isn’t much flavor to it, goes down very easily and not filling at all since there's not much substance to the beer, mild kick, I’m not really picking up much of any difference between this and the regular Bud Light.

1.38/5  rDev -39.5%

This is an abomination.

Smells like bud light spiked with a nice single malt Scotch. Taste like it smells. Cheap and tawdry. The way they souped it up during the Superbowl, I was anticipating a serious attempt at a respectable beer. Could have been brewed in a prison toilet...

1.61/5  rDev -29.4%

I bought a 6 pack and had them over a few days. They were born in Januaryof 2012.

Appearance: A pale gold or straw color. Poured into a pilsener glass and achieved about a finger of foam which quickly disappeared leaving no lacing. Fair carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass.

Smell: I am not being mean here. This smelled like detergent. Thought my glass may not have been rinsed completely but all six of them smelled the same.

Taste: There is very little taste. Slight hops but mostly nothing.

Mouthfeel: Thin. You can feel the alcohol on your tongue which at 6% you should. Finishes smooth and semi-dry.

Overall: This is disappointing. Even as a light lager this leaves a lot to be desired. There was a great deal of hype building up to this product being released but for me I won't be having this again. AB offers other light lagers that more pleasing than this one.

1.87/5  rDev -18%

12 oz bottle that was given to me by a bar owner which was given to him by his beer rep.

The beer poured a clear piss-yellow with pretty much no head to speak of, just a tiny ring of bubbles. A very sweet aroma with some grain. Sweet corn is the predominant taste with a slight grainy finish. There is also an artificial taste to the sweetness that I can't quite put my finger on. This beer is pretty carbonated as well.

I guess the beer is drinkable because it's pretty unoffensive, and by unoffensive I mean that there isn't much to it. It is basically a sweet carbonated water.

If you're out on the town and bro-ing it up, then I guess this stuff would be perfect. It goes down pretty easy and gets you drunk faster without having to pee as much as you would if you were drinking regular Bud Light. With enough of this beer, you'll be hitting on sorostitutes in no time at all!

2.4/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Got this one froma "friend" thanks, I think Wayne

poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass

A-straw yellow with about a 1 finger head that fades quickly

S-about what you would expect from a light lager, not much of anything a little cereal grain but not as much corn and maybe a little more rice

T-nothing to speak of like drinking water with something that may remind one of malt

M-Holy carbonation batman, lots of carbonation that fills you right away and the belching begins

O-If you wanted beer with flavor you shouldn't even consider this, but for the style it is better than some it is only for someone looking for some cheap BMC. Very tough to rate, style wise I would say 3 across the board average run of the mill light, as a beer probably 1s across the board, so I tried to grade a little more towards style. It is just another way for BMC to get more shelf space, they are definitely in the business to make money not beer

1.7/5  rDev -25.4%

1107th Review on BA
Bottle to Pint glass
12 oz

Thank to my bowling team for buying this FN thing and for the headache for the next six hours later.

App- It's a very pale yellow with no head to speak of and no carbonation. Its stagnant like a pond no one goes to anymore and the wind doesn't blow.

Smell- I smelled so hard that the damn beer almost went in my nose like I was doing liquid blow. It was a touch malty, a touch sweet. It wasn't non-offensive just had no backbone to it.

Taste- I don't want to finish it. But I did since it was a gift. Slightly sweeter than a normal BL and thats kinda impressive in of itself. The booze is maxed but just had this weird butter/malty/sweet flavor that as I mentioned gave me a six hour headache. I was trying to see if it was that bad and it was. I don't understand how BMC sells so many beers?

M- Its slick and watery and had no body. It just left a bit of residual sweetness like a bad piece of corn.

D- No, I dont recommend this beer. Its a novelty act for a company trying to make more billions. It wasn't as offensive as Bud Light Lime, which isn't saying much but this was just not good.

1.87/5  rDev -18%

A - Watered down light golden (basically piss colored) with lots of active carbonation bubbles. Half inch of white soap-like head fades at the speed of light to a thin ring. Lightest colored beer I have seen in some time... Is there malt in there?

S - Not much here, a very faint sweet malt, some rice/corn/grainy mixture. Some metallic (?) notes.. I'm really not sure. It's pretty bad, not as bad as the look though. I don't think we're supposed to smell Bud Light (Platinum) anyways... That's just weird.

T - Lots of sweet adjuncts in the flavor. Sweet corn is dominant with a faint sweet malt. Extremely bland and one dimensional as I expected, but not AWFUL. No hop bitterness (which I had read in others' descriptions). To me, the carbonation overload has really screwed up what decent flavors could be in this beer.

M - This is where all Bud Light beers piss me off. They claim to be all "less filling" and shit like that. Then I start drinking it, it's so fucking carbonated that it's nearly unbearable to drink. It's basically a mediocre beer with shitloads of bubbles, not to mention the sweetness leaves some grittiness on the teeth. Awful.

O - This was just a bland beer overall. It was so heavily and unnaturally carbonated that it gave me a bit of a stomach ache. A very tough beer to drink, luckily my kitchen drain gladly accepted the final 6 oz. Nice try AB...

2.69/5  rDev +18%

Pours a clear, straw color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Slight Retention and poor lacing. Smells of citrus hops, slight alcohol, hint of pale malt, rice, and a hint of sweet malt. Fits the style of a Light Lager. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of citrus hops, pale malt, slight alcohol, slight metallic, and rice. Overall, weak in appearance, aroma, and body. Blend and feel are the best qualities.

2.52/5  rDev +10.5%

Oh snap... A cobalt blue bottle just like SN Triple Bock!

Poured into a standard pint, and made a lot of fizz noise. The finger thick white head vanishes quickly before the eye, into an astonishing nothingness. The body is pale straw in color and not one hint of haze at all.

The aroma is wet hay sweet, some cardboard, and a light citrus character.

Taste wise it's got a light cream of wheat flavor, with a touch of lemon.

Feels thin, but with mild alcohol warmth. Pretty much a BL on roids, but still doesn't give off the overall Budweiser feel, even though this one has more alcohol.

2.4/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Pours a transparent, third to fourth piss of the night yellow. It has a 1" dish soap white head. No lacing to speak of. The smell is corn, sweet. Just like original bud light. Taste ... Hmmm. Corn, sweet bread. Almost like those Hawaiian dinner rolls. Adequate carbonation. I can't really say that I prefer platinum over any of their other products. A little more alcohol and 8 less calories. I guess that's what makes this attractive to some. Glad I got it in a mix 6 and didn't have to buy 6 of these.

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch