Follow our progress ...

Style: Light Lager

Added by DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Reviews: 329 | Ratings: 1,805
3.2/5  rDev +40.4%

Didn't know what to expect when I was about to try this. Certainly has a unique bottle that stands out. I actually didn't mind this. They bumped it up to a 6.0% which I thought was smart. Went down alot easier than I anticipated which could be trouble for people who throw back a lot at a time. Pretty smooth bitter aftertaste. Wasn't too high on the smell but overall didn't mind it.

1.28/5  rDev -43.9%

pours light yellow with a big fizzy white head that faded fast and left no lacing

smells of sweet grains/corn/rice and alcohol

taste is those same sweet watered down grains and the aftertaste that it left in my mouth was horrid

mouthfeel is watery thin with decent carbonation

overall - whats the point of this beer? its bud light with a higher abv

1.91/5  rDev -16.2%

A- Pale yellow-clear with a large but thin head that goes away as coke does.

S- Like my college house after we had a kegger the night before, almost cider-ish but some bad grain in there too.

T- A little sweet and watery. Not much flavor at all, others say it has more flavor than normal BL but I would say it is considerably less. Not bad, but not really anything there.

M- Like carbonated water, no body and very crisp finish.

O- If I wanted to get hammered this would be easy to do it with. Has little flavor and is extremely easy to drink, however if I want to enjoy a cheap beer then this isn't it. This gimmick of a beer is definitely the 6% abv and that its "platinum".

1.85/5  rDev -18.9%

A - light yellowish or golden, very transparent... slight head at the conclusion of the pour but only lasts about 20 seconds... bottle is very cheap looking, poor marketing if you ask me

S - porridge, reminds me of a stale box of Cheerios... not too much going on here

T - very similar to Bud Light, little bitter though, the 6.5% is very unassuming so if you're just looking to get drunk quickly, this is certainly the beer for you... very watery though, not my style whatsoever

M - very smooth but it should be due to its style so don't read much into that... goes down pretty easily

O - good college dorm room beer, I'm sure it'll be a big hit in that age bracket... for beer enthusiasts though, it's probably not even worth trying, honestly...

2.18/5  rDev -4.4%

Clear straw yellow color with a fizzy white head that doesn't stay around.

The aroma is very light - almost non-existant but vaguely like steamed rice and corn.

The taste is also very light sweet, carbonic, not really malt and hops are almost undetectable.

Very easy to drink - no flavor or body to interfer. Does a good job of washing down barbecue if very cold.

Not sure if this is really beer just diluted alcohol, begs for a twist of lime or something to give it more flavor.

1.47/5  rDev -35.5%

Pours out a light yellow straw hue with a thick foamy white head that quickly disappears. Very little retention, no lacing and high carbonation. Can hardly smell anything in this beer, even though I get hints of the typical old corn and old rice smell of the typical american light beer. The taste starts out with some rice, some sweet syrups, followed by alcohol and finishes off with hints of sweet malts. If there is any hops in this, I can't taste them. The mouthfeel is a very light bodied and watered down beer that is smooth and easy to drink. This beer is good if you want a light beer to try to get drunk off of and don't care for taste, but if you care about taste and quality this beer is not for you and it is not for me.

2.13/5  rDev -6.6%

Weird blue bottle, reminds me of a "malternative" drink. Pours out a very pale yellow color, fizzy.

Wow, smell is sulfuric, acetone and some faint off phenolic aromas. Overall not very pleasant!

The taste is actually a bit better than the smell, a tinge of tart apple, some bready malt aftertastes, but I am trying hard to pick up much, and add some alcohol warming if you want to include that in the taste category.

Mouthfeel is prickly like most american macro beers.

Overall this beer is designed to pack more punch than your average light beer all the while delivering the same llittle flavor. The scientists at AB have successfully done this for those beer drinkers who hate the taste of beer.

1.83/5  rDev -19.7%

A - Poured with a bubbly head that disappeared immediately. Golden/straw colored

S - Very sharp and pungent compared to regular BL, I can't put a finger on the exact smell but it reminds me of concentrated beer

T - Finishes sweet but there's no malt or hops to speak of

M - Much more bubbly than regular BL and it reminded me more of sparkling grape juice than beer

O - You can't taste the additional alcohol (6% vs 4.5%) but I would take a normal BL over this any day

1.75/5  rDev -23.2%

Bottle poured into a Crate & Barrel bar glass. No head to speak of. Pale yellow, similar in appearance to a standard Bud Light.

Not sure what the purpose of this beer is, other than to give fans of Bud Light and other macro lagers a quicker path to a buzz. Really doesn't have a pleasant flavor at all. Brought back memories of my days bar hopping on Thames St. Newport when I drank any cheap beer I could get my hands on.

My advice - if you want a decent light beer, spend a couple extra bucks and pick up some Sam Adams Light.

2.34/5  rDev +2.6%

12oz bottle

A- Poured into a pint glass. Pours a clear golden yellow color, the same color as my good wedding ring.

S- The aroma is grainy malts and an ever so slight note of hops.

T- The taste has a bit more flavor than your standard bud light. The taste starts out with some sweetness from the grain and finishes with just a touch of hops. The alcohol was next to non-existent when I first opened the bottle but it creeps up fast as the beer warms up a little which is a detriment to the beer.

M- The mouthfeel is light bodied with a high amount of carbonation.

O- Overall, this is definitely a step up from Bud Light in the flavor department but lacks in the drinkability department due to the higher ABV. I would definitely take this over a Bud Light, but it is not something I would buy on a regular basis especially if there is a better craft option available.

Let me start by saying I sampled one of these after trying a Southern Tier Choklat. This high ABV Bud is very similar to Bud Light but you get more alcohol and well disguised to boot. I really don't taste anything bad, different etc. from any other BMC Light products. If you want the mediocre flavors of a BMC but don't want to down a 6 pack before you get a buzz...then this is your beer. Nothing good/nothing bad...enjoy!

1.82/5  rDev -20.2%

Rather spiffy looking blue bottle into pint glass.

Very clear, only slightly golden tinted.... Kinda yellow in color actually. Half finger white head settled quickly. A half dozen spots of lacing hang back, taunting me with their soulless presence.

Smells surprisingly decent-- a little cider-like quality comes across as airy and light. The boiled corn sneaks in as this warms up though.
The "flavor" is virtually nonexistent, sans the abundance of alcohol on the finish. A light grainy sweetness up front. No bitterness.

Feel is about medium, and has a ton of carbonation-- par for the BMC course.

Overall-- not sure exactly what the demographic for this one is meant to be, but I like the reversal of the trend to make "light lagers" come in under 3% ABV.
Calorie to alcohol ratio has to better here than if some one drank 3 of the Bud Select 55s!

Still, not a beer I'll be drinking again. Way too much alcohol and too little flavor. You're better off with some Malt Liquor.

2.47/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from what I have to admit is a pretty cool looking blue bottle...

Appearance - Never seen this before - really didn't pour any head at all, poured the last half "really rough", and it fizzed for a moment which immediately disappeared. No head at all here - NONE. Color is a perfectly transparent light yellow/gold.

Smell - Hmmmm, light biscuits, faint sweet apples and pears.

Taste - Same as the nose, very light apples and pears, some crispy biscuit is in there too. You can taste alcohol at the end of the sip. Flavors are very light and watered down. Almost tastes like watered down sparkling apple juice with a shot of vodka added.

Mouthfeel - Very thin and watery, medium+ carb adds some nice tingle and crispness, but all of this is very light.

Overall - It's better than bud light, and the flavor really isn't all that bad for what this is. I don't get the corn/adjunct flavors in this at all, it's actually quite light and crisp, and the flavors are definitely pear and apple - but again they are Very light. Ultra drinkable, almost goes down like water. If you want a cheap, lo-cal buzz that has very light crisp apple n biscuits flavor, then try this.

1.78/5  rDev -21.9%

Poured into a pint glass and showed a little head and lacing to my suprise.

APPEARANCE --- Clear, pale yellow

SMELL --- Can barely smell anything at all, sweet alcohol?

TASTE --- This is really hard to describe other than it has virtually no flavor at all. It tastes like sparkling water with a drop of sugary Jack Daniels.

I only paid $5.99 for the sixer but nonetheless I still felt overcharged. This "beer" is only good for people who want to catch a quick buzz and not really savor a good brew.

1.98/5  rDev -13.2%

12oz blue bottle, pours extra pale with a white, fizzy head that dissipates to nothing in a minute or so. It's paler than I expected, but the clarity is stunning. Aromas are weak with some corn & grain. Tastes are weak and watery, not much more in flavor compared to it's original, Bud Light. Mild grain, cereal, and a sugary sweetness are about it here. It's sweeter than Bud Light and the extra alcohol leaves a slight prickle on the tongue. Mouth-feel is thin and highly carbonated; it does go down smoothly though. Overall, I guess I was hoping for more here with the sleek packaging and extra ABV, even though expectations were set low to begin with. Glad a friend bought this for me. Not worth buying yourself.

1.56/5  rDev -31.6%

I don't normally review beers I'm sure I won't enjoy, but since a friend already made the mistake of paying money for this stuff, I gave it a whirl.

Pale clear yellow, like yellowish water. The only thing I smell is yeast, smells like the trub you leave behind in your brewing pail.

I'd love to say that it tastes nasty, offensive or terrible, but the truth is that it really doesn't have a taste. It's like bubbly water with some corn extract flavor. I've had worse tasting beers, but at least they tasted like beer. This is nothing. Not worth the time at all.

1.26/5  rDev -44.7%

Half of a 12 oz bottle poured into a pony glass

A- Clear golden color with a small white head.

S- Weak, some sweet corn and grains...not good...

T- Watery sweet corn...

M- Light water...

O- Sucks, not worth the money, sweet water...Me and my friend decided ti see what is about and were disappointed...time for something good...

2.11/5  rDev -7.5%

A complimentary sample from the owner of one of my local pubs (which was good, now I don't have to spend money on it). Served in stemless flute. The beer was a VERY pale yellow, clean and clear, I could easily read through the beer. The beer had about 1/2 inch of white head that had no retention or lacing.

The only aroma to come across the nose was a very slight grain scent, no real malt or hop presence. The story on the tongue was much the same, the grain was a bit more prominent, but still no hops showing up.

The body, as expected, was very thin and watery and had a high level of carbonation. The beer was smoothly drinkable, but why would you want to drink several of these? Overall, pretty much you'd expect from this beer. I was surprised to learn that this beer was 6% ABV however. I suspect that Inbev hit their target when they made this brew, but there's really not much for a craft beer lover to like about this offering. I drank it so you don't have to.

2.73/5  rDev +19.7%

I knew I would never pay for this so when my brother offered me one I was slightly eager to try it.

A - Well it looks like a light lager, piss yellow with a 1/4 inch of white head that is very fizzy. As expected.

S - Well it smells better than a regular bud which in my opinion is not even palatable. Sweet malts and the faintest of hopping make up this corny brew.

T - Well it defiantly better than bud light hands down. Light corn flavor, sugary sweet malts, and no hops in the flavor. Eh.

M - Light bodied as expected for this light lager.

Overall if offered again (usually when the good stuff is gone) it's perfectly drinkable. Not something I would buy even if it was cheap as hell.

1.5/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A Bottle poured into a mug, light yellow, small white head that leaves quickly, very little lacing.

S Bread, corn

T Corn, metallic, bland

M Carbonation, bland, watery, can feel the 6% alcohol in my mouth and not much else.

O Bought a sixer for 6.99 to give it a try, won't buy it again. It is too bland for my tastes. Would drink Bud Ice over this. The blue bottles are cool though.

3.32/5  rDev +45.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer really cannot be compared to a good craft beer. It is a light beer that has been jacked up to 6%. It is a perfect beer for a six pack that won't pack on 3 pounds in one post-work afternoon.
The look smell and taste are to be expected. It's a bud light with slightly more malt and an ever so slight hop characteristic. It is the perfect beer for a weekday afternoon. I'll save the la fin du monde for the weekends.

2.21/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Back in November when a fellow female craft drinker told me about BL Platinum I wanted to try it. Then I read an article and saw the Zima-ish blue bottles and I HAD to try it. Boasts a 6% ABV. WOW! A whole 1% more than Bud "Heavy". Try an IPA you macro so-called macho men. This 5'0 115lb girl can handle some Barleywines. But enough of the trash talk. Let's go for the heart of the issue; the review.

Twist off bottle and into a Coors shaker glass (I like a little rivalry). Wow does this stink. Sweet and boozy like a Hurricane. Who pours malt liquor unless for a dead homie? But this isn't supposed to be a malt liquor, right? Tastes very sweet and corny. Like...you guessed it, a watered down Hurricane. It's not bad for what it is: A beer for people that don't like beer and want to get tanked quicker. If you're in this category just stick with the Jungle Juice.

2.5/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a medium straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured sweet adjuncts and a light herbal hop.

The taste consisted of the same sweet malts with a neat light hop.

The mouthfeel was toward the fuller side of the style.

I really don't understand the point of this beer. If someone wants a heavier Bud Light then, well, try a Bud.

1.55/5  rDev -32%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very light straw yellow color, with a short white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains very light malts along with adjuncts and a very faint bit of hops.

T: The taste starts with a mild breadiness from adjuncts and a thin malt character, Then some malt sweetness quickly follows. The hops presence is almost non-existent but brings a least a little bit of balance. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: A little crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, finish is clean.

D: There isn’t much flavor to it, goes down very easily and not filling at all since there's not much substance to the beer, mild kick, I’m not really picking up much of any difference between this and the regular Bud Light.

1.38/5  rDev -39.5%

This is an abomination.

Smells like bud light spiked with a nice single malt Scotch. Taste like it smells. Cheap and tawdry. The way they souped it up during the Superbowl, I was anticipating a serious attempt at a respectable beer. Could have been brewed in a prison toilet...

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch