Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Bud Light Platinum - Anheuser-Busch

Bud Light PlatinumBud Light Platinum

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Platinum Alström Bros
Reviews: 314 | Hads: 1,725
1.56/5  rDev -31%

I don't normally review beers I'm sure I won't enjoy, but since a friend already made the mistake of paying money for this stuff, I gave it a whirl.

Pale clear yellow, like yellowish water. The only thing I smell is yeast, smells like the trub you leave behind in your brewing pail.

I'd love to say that it tastes nasty, offensive or terrible, but the truth is that it really doesn't have a taste. It's like bubbly water with some corn extract flavor. I've had worse tasting beers, but at least they tasted like beer. This is nothing. Not worth the time at all.

1.26/5  rDev -44.2%

Half of a 12 oz bottle poured into a pony glass

A- Clear golden color with a small white head.

S- Weak, some sweet corn and grains...not good...

T- Watery sweet corn...

M- Light water...

O- Sucks, not worth the money, sweet water...Me and my friend decided ti see what is about and were disappointed...time for something good...

2.11/5  rDev -6.6%

A complimentary sample from the owner of one of my local pubs (which was good, now I don't have to spend money on it). Served in stemless flute. The beer was a VERY pale yellow, clean and clear, I could easily read through the beer. The beer had about 1/2 inch of white head that had no retention or lacing.

The only aroma to come across the nose was a very slight grain scent, no real malt or hop presence. The story on the tongue was much the same, the grain was a bit more prominent, but still no hops showing up.

The body, as expected, was very thin and watery and had a high level of carbonation. The beer was smoothly drinkable, but why would you want to drink several of these? Overall, pretty much you'd expect from this beer. I was surprised to learn that this beer was 6% ABV however. I suspect that Inbev hit their target when they made this brew, but there's really not much for a craft beer lover to like about this offering. I drank it so you don't have to.

2.73/5  rDev +20.8%

I knew I would never pay for this so when my brother offered me one I was slightly eager to try it.

A - Well it looks like a light lager, piss yellow with a 1/4 inch of white head that is very fizzy. As expected.

S - Well it smells better than a regular bud which in my opinion is not even palatable. Sweet malts and the faintest of hopping make up this corny brew.

T - Well it defiantly better than bud light hands down. Light corn flavor, sugary sweet malts, and no hops in the flavor. Eh.

M - Light bodied as expected for this light lager.

Overall if offered again (usually when the good stuff is gone) it's perfectly drinkable. Not something I would buy even if it was cheap as hell.

1.5/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A Bottle poured into a mug, light yellow, small white head that leaves quickly, very little lacing.

S Bread, corn

T Corn, metallic, bland

M Carbonation, bland, watery, can feel the 6% alcohol in my mouth and not much else.

O Bought a sixer for 6.99 to give it a try, won't buy it again. It is too bland for my tastes. Would drink Bud Ice over this. The blue bottles are cool though.

3.32/5  rDev +46.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer really cannot be compared to a good craft beer. It is a light beer that has been jacked up to 6%. It is a perfect beer for a six pack that won't pack on 3 pounds in one post-work afternoon.
The look smell and taste are to be expected. It's a bud light with slightly more malt and an ever so slight hop characteristic. It is the perfect beer for a weekday afternoon. I'll save the la fin du monde for the weekends.

2.21/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Back in November when a fellow female craft drinker told me about BL Platinum I wanted to try it. Then I read an article and saw the Zima-ish blue bottles and I HAD to try it. Boasts a 6% ABV. WOW! A whole 1% more than Bud "Heavy". Try an IPA you macro so-called macho men. This 5'0 115lb girl can handle some Barleywines. But enough of the trash talk. Let's go for the heart of the issue; the review.

Twist off bottle and into a Coors shaker glass (I like a little rivalry). Wow does this stink. Sweet and boozy like a Hurricane. Who pours malt liquor unless for a dead homie? But this isn't supposed to be a malt liquor, right? Tastes very sweet and corny. Like...you guessed it, a watered down Hurricane. It's not bad for what it is: A beer for people that don't like beer and want to get tanked quicker. If you're in this category just stick with the Jungle Juice.

2.5/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a medium straw hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured sweet adjuncts and a light herbal hop.

The taste consisted of the same sweet malts with a neat light hop.

The mouthfeel was toward the fuller side of the style.

I really don't understand the point of this beer. If someone wants a heavier Bud Light then, well, try a Bud.

1.55/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very light straw yellow color, with a short white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains very light malts along with adjuncts and a very faint bit of hops.

T: The taste starts with a mild breadiness from adjuncts and a thin malt character, Then some malt sweetness quickly follows. The hops presence is almost non-existent but brings a least a little bit of balance. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: A little crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, finish is clean.

D: There isn’t much flavor to it, goes down very easily and not filling at all since there's not much substance to the beer, mild kick, I’m not really picking up much of any difference between this and the regular Bud Light.

1.38/5  rDev -38.9%

This is an abomination.

Smells like bud light spiked with a nice single malt Scotch. Taste like it smells. Cheap and tawdry. The way they souped it up during the Superbowl, I was anticipating a serious attempt at a respectable beer. Could have been brewed in a prison toilet...

1.61/5  rDev -28.8%

I bought a 6 pack and had them over a few days. They were born in Januaryof 2012.

Appearance: A pale gold or straw color. Poured into a pilsener glass and achieved about a finger of foam which quickly disappeared leaving no lacing. Fair carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass.

Smell: I am not being mean here. This smelled like detergent. Thought my glass may not have been rinsed completely but all six of them smelled the same.

Taste: There is very little taste. Slight hops but mostly nothing.

Mouthfeel: Thin. You can feel the alcohol on your tongue which at 6% you should. Finishes smooth and semi-dry.

Overall: This is disappointing. Even as a light lager this leaves a lot to be desired. There was a great deal of hype building up to this product being released but for me I won't be having this again. AB offers other light lagers that more pleasing than this one.

1.87/5  rDev -17.3%

12 oz bottle that was given to me by a bar owner which was given to him by his beer rep.

The beer poured a clear piss-yellow with pretty much no head to speak of, just a tiny ring of bubbles. A very sweet aroma with some grain. Sweet corn is the predominant taste with a slight grainy finish. There is also an artificial taste to the sweetness that I can't quite put my finger on. This beer is pretty carbonated as well.

I guess the beer is drinkable because it's pretty unoffensive, and by unoffensive I mean that there isn't much to it. It is basically a sweet carbonated water.

If you're out on the town and bro-ing it up, then I guess this stuff would be perfect. It goes down pretty easy and gets you drunk faster without having to pee as much as you would if you were drinking regular Bud Light. With enough of this beer, you'll be hitting on sorostitutes in no time at all!

2.4/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Got this one froma "friend" thanks, I think Wayne

poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass

A-straw yellow with about a 1 finger head that fades quickly

S-about what you would expect from a light lager, not much of anything a little cereal grain but not as much corn and maybe a little more rice

T-nothing to speak of like drinking water with something that may remind one of malt

M-Holy carbonation batman, lots of carbonation that fills you right away and the belching begins

O-If you wanted beer with flavor you shouldn't even consider this, but for the style it is better than some it is only for someone looking for some cheap BMC. Very tough to rate, style wise I would say 3 across the board average run of the mill light, as a beer probably 1s across the board, so I tried to grade a little more towards style. It is just another way for BMC to get more shelf space, they are definitely in the business to make money not beer

1.7/5  rDev -24.8%

1107th Review on BA
Bottle to Pint glass
12 oz

Thank to my bowling team for buying this FN thing and for the headache for the next six hours later.

App- It's a very pale yellow with no head to speak of and no carbonation. Its stagnant like a pond no one goes to anymore and the wind doesn't blow.

Smell- I smelled so hard that the damn beer almost went in my nose like I was doing liquid blow. It was a touch malty, a touch sweet. It wasn't non-offensive just had no backbone to it.

Taste- I don't want to finish it. But I did since it was a gift. Slightly sweeter than a normal BL and thats kinda impressive in of itself. The booze is maxed but just had this weird butter/malty/sweet flavor that as I mentioned gave me a six hour headache. I was trying to see if it was that bad and it was. I don't understand how BMC sells so many beers?

M- Its slick and watery and had no body. It just left a bit of residual sweetness like a bad piece of corn.

D- No, I dont recommend this beer. Its a novelty act for a company trying to make more billions. It wasn't as offensive as Bud Light Lime, which isn't saying much but this was just not good.

1.87/5  rDev -17.3%

A - Watered down light golden (basically piss colored) with lots of active carbonation bubbles. Half inch of white soap-like head fades at the speed of light to a thin ring. Lightest colored beer I have seen in some time... Is there malt in there?

S - Not much here, a very faint sweet malt, some rice/corn/grainy mixture. Some metallic (?) notes.. I'm really not sure. It's pretty bad, not as bad as the look though. I don't think we're supposed to smell Bud Light (Platinum) anyways... That's just weird.

T - Lots of sweet adjuncts in the flavor. Sweet corn is dominant with a faint sweet malt. Extremely bland and one dimensional as I expected, but not AWFUL. No hop bitterness (which I had read in others' descriptions). To me, the carbonation overload has really screwed up what decent flavors could be in this beer.

M - This is where all Bud Light beers piss me off. They claim to be all "less filling" and shit like that. Then I start drinking it, it's so fucking carbonated that it's nearly unbearable to drink. It's basically a mediocre beer with shitloads of bubbles, not to mention the sweetness leaves some grittiness on the teeth. Awful.

O - This was just a bland beer overall. It was so heavily and unnaturally carbonated that it gave me a bit of a stomach ache. A very tough beer to drink, luckily my kitchen drain gladly accepted the final 6 oz. Nice try AB...

2.69/5  rDev +19%

Pours a clear, straw color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Slight Retention and poor lacing. Smells of citrus hops, slight alcohol, hint of pale malt, rice, and a hint of sweet malt. Fits the style of a Light Lager. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of citrus hops, pale malt, slight alcohol, slight metallic, and rice. Overall, weak in appearance, aroma, and body. Blend and feel are the best qualities.

2.52/5  rDev +11.5%

Oh snap... A cobalt blue bottle just like SN Triple Bock!

Poured into a standard pint, and made a lot of fizz noise. The finger thick white head vanishes quickly before the eye, into an astonishing nothingness. The body is pale straw in color and not one hint of haze at all.

The aroma is wet hay sweet, some cardboard, and a light citrus character.

Taste wise it's got a light cream of wheat flavor, with a touch of lemon.

Feels thin, but with mild alcohol warmth. Pretty much a BL on roids, but still doesn't give off the overall Budweiser feel, even though this one has more alcohol.

2.4/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Pours a transparent, third to fourth piss of the night yellow. It has a 1" dish soap white head. No lacing to speak of. The smell is corn, sweet. Just like original bud light. Taste ... Hmmm. Corn, sweet bread. Almost like those Hawaiian dinner rolls. Adequate carbonation. I can't really say that I prefer platinum over any of their other products. A little more alcohol and 8 less calories. I guess that's what makes this attractive to some. Glad I got it in a mix 6 and didn't have to buy 6 of these.

2.35/5  rDev +4%

Bud Light Platinum. Wow. Platinum. 6% ABV. Triple Fermented, I hear. Anheuser Busch, St. Louis, MO. Lager 12 fl. oz. Born on date: 12007vx78. whatever that means.

"Platinum is a chemical element with the chemical symbol Pt and an atomic number of 78."

Yellow, no head. Active carbonation. Not appealing to look at. Could have just the same being peering at my toilet bowl. But no one is really looking at this, it's being chugged from a bottle.

Even though it has six naturally occurring isotopes, platinum is one of the rarest elements in the Earth's crust and has an average abundance of approximately 5 μg/kg. It is the least reactive metal. It occurs in some nickel and copper ores along with some native deposits, mostly in South Africa, which accounts for 80% of the world production.

Aroma: cereal grains. Probably a lot of rice. Nothing else. Wet water and weak everything else. Moist air.

As a member of the platinum group of elements, as well as of the group 10 of the periodic table of elements, platinum is generally non-reactive. It exhibits a remarkable resistance to corrosion, even at high temperatures, and as such is considered a noble metal. As a result, platinum is often found chemically uncombined as native platinum. Because it occurs naturally in the alluvial sands of various rivers, it was first used by pre-Columbian South American natives to produce artifacts.

Taste: must I? I must. Tons of carbonation. Bristling bubblation on the palate, then gone, then nothing. Nothing from nothing means nothing. Gotta have something. And we got nothing. The tongue sticks in the liquid and pulls out…nothing. The mind races for something and comes back with nothing. Is it a beer? Is it a plane? It's …nothing. It's watered down alcopops. It's a bottle of Smirnoff Ice added to a gallon of ice water.

Platinum is used in catalytic converters, laboratory equipment, electrical contacts and electrodes, platinum resistance thermometers, dentistry equipment, and jewelry. Because only a few hundred tonnes are produced annually, it is a scarce material, and is highly valuable and is a major precious metal commodity.

Enough carbonation to make you think you're drinking beer. But, that would be a lie and that would be wrong. What could I say to sell this more than "less watery than water"? "Less pungent than pee?"

As a pure metal, platinum is silvery-white, lustrous, ductile, and malleable.[3] Platinum is more ductile than gold, silver and copper, thus being the most ductile of pure metals, but gold is still more malleable than platinum [4][5] It does not oxidize at any temperature, although it is corroded by halogens, cyanides, sulfur, and caustic alkalis. Platinum is insoluble inhydrochloric and nitric acid, but dissolves in hot aqua regia to form chloroplatinic acid, H2PtCl6.[6]

Blah, blah, blah. Wait, I meant, "fullest expression yet known of Bud Light. Bud Light to the Nth Degree. Ne Plus ultra Bud Light. Etcetera."
Higher alcohol, no extra flavor or body, Bud Light Blah. I don't know how else to explain it.

Platinum is an extremely rare metal, occurring at a concentration of only 0.005ppm in the Earth's crust It is sometimes mistaken for silver (Ag). Platinum is often found chemically uncombined as native platinum and alloyed with iridium as platiniridium. Most often the native platinum is found in secondary deposits; platinum is combined with the other platinum group metals in alluvial deposits. The alluvial deposits used by pre-Columbian people in the Chocó Department, Colombiaare still a source for platinum group metals. Another large alluvial deposit is in the Ural Mountains, Russia, and it is still mined.

Who is this meant for, I wonder? Bud Light drinkers who want to step up, but not all the way to Budweiser, or Select, or what-have-you? Drinkers who want watery, but not that watery?

Platinum's rarity as a metal has caused advertisers to associate it with exclusivity and wealth. "Platinum" debit cards have greater privileges than do "gold" ones. "Platinum awards" are the second highest possible, ranking above "gold", "silver" and "bronze", but below diamond. For example, in the United States, a musical album that has sold more than 1 million copies, will be credited as "platinum", whereas an album that sold more than 10 million copies will be certified as "diamond".

Ah, ha! I knew there had to be a reason this is called "Platinum." I knew it wasn't found in alluvial deposits, and it's most certain to oxidize in certain temperatures. How precious and rare is this beer? That is yet to be seen. I haven't found anything in it to convince me it will last.

But, I hope you enjoyed learning about Platinum! Thanks, Wikipedia!

2.54/5  rDev +12.4%

12oz twist-off cobalt blue bottle, no freshness date. Labeling looks sort of cheap looking or at least the design is not so appealing to me.

LOOK: Crystal clear pale yellow, head crackles a bit but does stay.

SMELL: White flour, cooked cereal, carbonic, muted

TASTE: Crisp, warming alcohol, plain porridge, faint hop bitterness, light maltiness, slightly cloying

It's basically a light malt liquor. Lacking any real malt flavor and the cloying character it less resembles a beer and more of a very watered down cheap whiskey. There are clearly better light beers out there if you are into that. Now we all just have to wait for the half dozen fruit varieties that will follow it is does well.

2.38/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- fizzy yellow, dissipating head, crystal clear body, active carbonation.

S- light grain, decent malty taste, corn.

t- a good amount of bready malt considering this is adjunct, corn, grains, alcohol.

o- ok I guess for what it is, I got it as a mystery beer at a bar that usually has good mystery beers so I wasn't happy.

2.63/5  rDev +16.4%

12 oz twist-top blue bottle poured into a pilsner glass.
6.0% ABV, 12009 on back label (bottled Jan. 09, 2012)

A - Bud Light Platinum pours a frightfully pale yellow color with crystal clarity that shows off the stream of carbonation rushing sky-ward. A loose white head shoots up quickly complete with a loud fizzy sound only to drop almost before I can capture it digitally. No surprise there's no retention or lacing...

S - The short-lived effervescent of Platinum allows a quick burst of fruity aroma to come through briefly before disintigrating into disgust; heavy pale graininess, dry straw, and a metallic finish. The lack of an aroma-retaining head means all these characteristics are gone in moments.

T - Yep, as a BeerFM reader described it; filtered water. Hints of rice and pale malt come out with a sliver of exotic fruitiness that's almost a mirage...save for it's "higher" alcohol level for a bland lager.

M - Pretty well carbonated but not tongue-assaulting like I expected it to be! Platinum is crisp, clean, and drinkable with a finish that leaves nothing to be remembered by.

O - Bud Light Platinum: More alcohol, same drinkability! I can see what AB is doing here... I can't say I'm interested in ever having this beer again but, honestly, once the aroma disappears, [1) which doesn't take long to wait for and 2) how many people will drink it from anything but the bottle?] this beer isn't offensive in the least.

3.28/5  rDev +45.1%

Served from a 12oz blue bottle with no date, poured aggressively into a pint glass. This review is graded on a curve based on how this beer compares to others of the AAL style, and does not reflect how this beer compares to "craft" beers.

A: First off, the bottle looks nice. It's deep blue, and has a nice modern-looking, simplistic yet very cool label (even though the label is just a plastic sticker on the bottle, and not painted). The bottle itself definitely gives the appearance some points for looking pretty damned sweet.

Now for the appearance of the beer itself. Straw colored piss yellow, just like every other AAL. Finger of fake head disappears just as quickly as it's coming up, leaving zero lacing. Fake fizzy CO2 carbonation. Nothing else to see here - looks like BMC. 3.0 average look for the style + 0.5 for the cool bottle.

S: This should be interesting...

It smells like Bud Light. Brings back all the memories of my old college days a decade ago, which was probably the last time I touched a Bud Light (I later switched to Coors Light and Rolling Rock before finding real beer). Nostalgia FTW. I never thought I'd actually appreciate the Bud Light smell, but it brings back a lot of memories.

Smells like most BMC AAL beers (especially Bud Light as I said), maybe a little bit less of that metallic scent you'll find in the "MC" portion. Summed up in a word: corn.

T: This should also be interesting...

Hmm... well, I get a lot of malts here actually, which is a bit of a surprise. For 6% ABV, I was expecting booze all over the place. This actually tastes like a higher quality Bud Light. Sure you get lots of boiled corn flavor, but there are definitely some sweet malts mixed in to help balance it and it does a decent job masking the high ABV. I do get a bit of a vodka-like aftertaste (rubbing alcohol).

M: Well, not much to say here. Light body, over carbonated, feels like any other AAL, but it's going to get an above average 3.5 simply because of the 6% ABV and it's not astringent or abrasive at all. It's actually pretty smooth.

D: Very drinkable. Has a boozy aftertaste, but all-in-all it's not horrible, it goes down smooth, and it's mostly crisp and refreshing.

O: Gonna give this one a 3 because it's pretty above average for a A-B AAL, but expensive. Would I pay a premium again for another sixer? Nah. It's only good for the style and I'm not into that style anymore, so it's not for me. I can drink it, but other than the nostalgia aspect, it's not enjoyable, but there isn't much to dislike either. It's made for the masses, so there's nothing offensive or niche about it, it's just a slightly beefed up, middle of the road, Bud Light beer.

look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A - Very pale and lacking any character. Almost completely transparent.

S - I don't smell much of anything here, similar to normal BL

T - A bit smoother than a normal BL. Tastes pretty watered down, which sadly makes it better than the original.

M - Little to no flavor and carbonation lasts only a split second, followed by emptiness.

O - Pure curiosity and marketing got me to purchase one bottle. I will not buy again.

2.64/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from the cobalt bottle into a pint glass.

A: Super clear light gold straw color. An aggressive pour yields a half finger head that dissipates to a thin ring around the glass.

S: Very sweet. Akin to a cheap Riesling. The expected adjuncts.

T: Like the nose, sweet. Almost artificially sweet. Easy drinking.

M: Thin with moderate carbonation.

O: A great beer for non-beer drinkers. Nothing in this beer is imposing except for the sweetness. Not a quality I like, but many others might. The more I drink it the more the sweetness overpowers making it a rough session beer imo. If there was a category for chick beers this one would top the list.

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch