1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bud Light Platinum - Anheuser-Busch

Bud Light PlatinumBud Light Platinum

awful

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Platinum Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,177 | Reviews: 273 | Show All Ratings:
cbutova

2.05/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

The time has come to finally review the lone bottle someone left at my parents house.

A- Pint glass pour from the blue bottle. Incredibly light color, an uber pale diluted yellow hue, clearly filtered. Small white head forms to about one finger in size and is foamy in texture. Cap retention is not very good and a thin ring leaves no lace at all. Beer ends up looking like juice.

S- Extremely faint and not much going on. Light grape-like/cidery fruit, bread and weak sugary hints. Really have to stress to get anything.

T- Hard to distinguish from any other Bud products I have had, it has been a while though. Bread and apple juice forward, not really in a pleasant way, sort of harsh. Yeast bread, rice adjuncts and something spicy (not sure if yeast or hops). It doesn't sound too bad but with any warmth at all, things just get more and more muddled and it get's more astringent.

MF- Extremely thin body with a ton of foamy carbonation and a light sweetness. Hint of bitterness but the overall feel is harsh, too much carbonation without anything else backing it up.

When ice cold this isn't terrible. Once it gets any warmth in it, it goes to hell. There is just an unpleasant spicy, adjunct flavor that doesn't work out. Not the worst beer I have ever had but nothing interesting here.

03-04-2013 03:43:41 | More by cbutova
Wrigfen

South Carolina

2.94/5  rDev +32.4%

A bud light with a slightly better taste and a little more alcholol kick. Clear, little head but a better alternative than bud light if you can afford the extra calories and extra cost. Will drink on occasion when drinking light beer but still lacks the the taste of a Miller Light (just my personal presence). All in all not a bad beer for everyday occasions, just not up there with the special ones.

02-24-2013 05:36:42 | More by Wrigfen
iman99

Louisiana

1.7/5  rDev -23.4%

Got a 6 pack of Bud Light Platinum...

Couldn't wait to try it out. I guess should be awesome. Saw some guy downing them left and right at a party. Blue bottle looked cool. 8 bucks plus tax no big deal this stuff has got to be good right...

The taste was horrible tasted worst than most cheap high gravity beers. I cannot even describe how gross the taste was. Gave one to my uncle who drinks cheap beer most of the time... He started laughing at how bad the beer was and didn't even want to finish drinking it.

The smell was below average smelled like some kind of synthetic chemicals.

The appearance was cool in the blue bottle didn't pour it into a glass so I couldn't tell you the color.

Mouthfeel was mostly average kind of seemed like drinking a gelatin liquid if you can imagine.

The taste was so cheap tasting reminded me of camo black ice but worst.

02-23-2013 21:13:25 | More by iman99
Bitterbill

Wyoming

1.71/5  rDev -23%

Cool cobalt blue bottle, it pours like most macros, a straw yellow, with a good head of foam.

The smell is as piss poor as any macro I've had. Huge grainy notes that put the fear in me of what this is going to taste like.

Okay, the taste is as bad, maybe worse, than I expected. Grain and a sickly sweetness plus the added abv make for a disaster, imho.

No need to comment on the mf and drinkability. This bottle is not worthy of my time and down the drain it goes. At least it was only 1 bottle that I bought.

02-23-2013 15:11:58 | More by Bitterbill
nlmartin

1.58/5  rDev -28.8%

This beer was from a bomber lol. Served iced cold and in pint glass.

A- The body of the beer is well pale urine yellow. The head of the beer was white and immediately left. No lacing noted on the glass.

S- The aroma is lightly sweetened sort of like the water you would drain off of a bag of Uncle Bens instant rice. Not a hint of hops.

T- The flavor is a light grainy lightly sweetened flavor and nothing else. I bet this is what the water from an Uncle Bens instant rice boil taste like.

M- The body is light and fizzy.

O- Just a waste of money!... Nothing to reccomend and zero enjoyment. This is an alcohol delivery system and nothing else.

02-23-2013 12:26:28 | More by nlmartin
wordemupg

Alberta (Canada)

2.48/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

355ml can poured into pint glass 22/2/13

A clear straw yellow with loads of bubbles feeding a long lasting two finger bone white foam that leaves no lace, looks the part

S sour green apple, rice cakes, soggy cardboard, and some cotton candy? either way this ones not that great

T there's really not much going on here, what I smell just toned down and I'm not sure if that's good or bad. It's not overly offensive but its also far from enjoyable

M watery and well carbonated with a reasonably clean finish, about what I expected

O pretty basic stuff much like most of the macros out there, nothing good but not a drain pour either

6% Bud Light? I can see that causing some confusion with consumers. I can't see any reason why anyone should bother with this one, don't go out of your way for it

Serving type: can

02-23-2013 06:43:23 | More by wordemupg
RyanLaCount03

Wisconsin

4.29/5  rDev +93.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This Bud Light creation was very good in my opinion. The taste was good and similar to regular Bud Light. The mouthfeel was very smooth and very easy to drink. The appearance and the bottle the beer came in was the best part of this beer. I believe Bud did a great job at coming up with a new beer.

02-22-2013 01:42:46 | More by RyanLaCount03
Kremlock

Ontario (Canada)

2.1/5  rDev -5.4%

A: Any paler then this and I'd think you gave me a glass of water. This looks like a 1/4 apple juice mixed with water. Nice white head, very clear.

S: Metallic and adjunct aromas

T: Pur adjunct flavours, no malt.

M: Med-high carbonation, clean on the palate, 6% alcohol not detectable.

O: Not a good lager by any standard, but very good for AB.

02-21-2013 22:26:15 | More by Kremlock
EdgeT

2.96/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

This beer is a marketing scam. Bud Light hypes up this beer to make it out to be a special edition Bud Light beer but i prefer regular Bud Light rather than this stuff. I don't know what is was about this beer but after getting all excited about the bottle and the look, its a real disappointment when you actually taste it.

02-20-2013 03:19:49 | More by EdgeT
SaintAnthony

3.9/5  rDev +75.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

*Full Disclosure* - I am drinking some of this as I write this review Purchased at a C-Town for $8.49 per 6-pack-
I first had this during the black-out "Harbowl" where the Baltimore Ravens beat the San Francisco 49ers. We were at my friends house in his man cave and someone brought 2 cases of this stuff over.

At first glance I was attracted by the beautiful blue bottle, and since it was the only beer available i said sure why not. Two hours later we are were all nicely buzzed from this beer and astonished that this "bud light" had rendered us in this state.

For the price, ease of availability, and the surprise 6%ABV I give this beer high marks.

Bud Light Platinum gets the job done and recommend you all to try it; even if merely to lubricate the esophagus before you move on to some of your favorite imports =-)

Cheers,

St. Anthony

02-09-2013 18:58:27 | More by SaintAnthony
Drew966

2.1/5  rDev -5.4%

Bud Light Platinum pours a pale gold with a thick white head from a twelve ounce cobalt blue bottle. The aroma is a bit sweet and grainy. There is more flavor than I expected, apple like flavor pops out at me. Maybe a touch of alcohol even. The aftertaste is unpleasant. Not one I particularly care for, I'd avoid this one.

01-28-2013 00:44:10 | More by Drew966
JackSkerry

New Brunswick (Canada)

2.6/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Anticipating a light tasting ice beer... not expecting too much. Thinking this beer is all about the clever marketing gimmicks from the powers that beer.

Picked up a bottle, aluminum bottle... bottle was stupidly cold, not very comfortable to hold for a very long time. Poured bottle into a gobblet...

Liquid flowed from the bottle, poured a very, very pale yellow... almost a very light tan. Smell of sweet corny malts lit up my personal space. Bit of head sat on top of the beer, but quickly dissipated. Bubbles ablaze, reminiscent of a typical American macro lager.

Taste was sweet, almost corny... Couldnt get past the sweetness- from the touch of the tongue, to the moments after the swallow. Not much of an after taste, little bit of malty/ corny sweetness sitting on the back of my tongue.

Overall, sweeter than anticipated- didn't expect much, didn't get much.

01-24-2013 22:00:45 | More by JackSkerry
Slatetank

2.88/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I had a bottle of this, it was pretty average for the style, the only thing going for it really is an increased abv threshold. I think for the price it isn't bad, but it really doesn't have much in the way of flavor beyond a corn pop type sweetness. I can't say it is really a flawed beer meaning having noticeable flavor deficiencies unless you consider lack of flavor one, then it is pretty bland which is why I gave it a below average score

01-24-2013 18:01:48 | More by Slatetank
WoodBrew

I was at a 40th soiree tonight and there wan't much choice so I went with something I had not tried...the budlight platinum. The beer poured a clear solid yellow with initial fizzy head that disipated quickly and left no lace. The smell was typical of most light lager....hints of wheat and grass. The taste was a bit fuller than typical bud light which is an improvement. The mouthfeel was still lighter with big carbonation. Overall it was drinkable.

01-19-2013 05:31:13 | More by WoodBrew
Aaron_Ramson

2.54/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I really tried to judge this beer on its own merits and not as an AB product, but even in a blind taste test this would be awful. Appearance wise, it has the typical, inoffensive pale golden color of a light lager. The smell was somewhat sweet and malty, if very faintly so. The taste is what killed it for me. Light malt-liquour is what comes to mind. Sweet, cloying, yet watery; no dimension or complexity, not even a discernible taste of malts or hops. Over carbonated and thin. I realise that ajunct light lagers have their place in the market and some are even drinkable, but this is a truly awful beer that would appeal to NO ONE. The taste would be a turn off to most light beer drinkers, I would assume. If someone is looking for a higher ABV beer to get drunk on, but doesn't want to stray from the recognised Budweiser name, then I suppose that would be the only market buying this stuff repeatedly. As for me, one bottle was plenty enough, and a second tasting holds zero appeal at all.

01-17-2013 16:37:28 | More by Aaron_Ramson
sam_bliss

Washington

2.75/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle into pint glass.

A- The color is similar to piss on a somewhat well-hydrated day. A two inch white fizzy head similar to that of sprite or 7up lasted about a minute. Carbonation continued to bubble to the surface as the beer sat. Better looking than most adjunct garbage.

S- Smells of slightly sour dry grass/hay. Biscuity malts and bland adjuncts dominate with a bit of sweet corn and very little hop aroma.

T- Much sweeter tasting than a typical Budweiser. White bread with honey and a bit a caramel. Good maltiness. This actually tastes much better than the Coors Light I drank before.

M- Not thin! Lots of carbonation, as is the custom with American cheap lagers. Good body for a light beer.

O- Platinum far exceeds my expectations. That is not to say it is a great beer

01-13-2013 06:55:05 | More by sam_bliss
acevenom

Louisiana

3.4/5  rDev +53.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pokal glass. Pours pale gold with a two-finger length white head that dissipates at a moderate pace compared to Bud Light or Budweiser. There are a lot of tiny bubbles visible in this beer. The beer smells of grain husks, bread, and some alcohol. The taste is bready and sweet with some alcohol. The hops are very subtle. It tastes like a malt liquor with a ligher body. The body is light with strong carbonation. The carbonation is high enough to prevent any sort of aftertaste. The finish is crisp. The beer drinks very easy. Surprisingly, I find this beer to be decent for what it is. It seems like AB-Inbev is just trying to cleverly package a malt liquor and boost the sales using the Bud Light label. A light beer this is not.

01-06-2013 00:32:13 | More by acevenom
Dusty6467

1.53/5  rDev -31.1%

A: poured from a 12oz bottle to a frosty iced pint glass. It left about a 4" head that I had to scoop out to finish pouring. Kinda looks like carbonated urine.

S: bready, malty, alcohol, not much else here

T: breast malt that finishes with a hefty taste of alcohol. Taste like it smells, but not as bad as it looks

M: very high carbonation, clean and watered down

O: this is a terrible beer, it's not balanced at all. The only reason I grabbed it is because the gas station didn't have any good beer and figured I'd give it a shot...

12-30-2012 01:52:34 | More by Dusty6467
nUgZ

2.28/5  rDev +2.7%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Pours a light golden color with a one finger head and no lacing.

S: Bready malts, corn, and some alcohol. Not very appealing.

T: The taste isn't as bad as the smell. Malty and slightly watered down, but not terrible at all. Slight sweetness in the aftertaste.

M: Light bodied with good carbonation.

O: About what you would expect from a higher gravity Bud Light. It's drinkable, but I'd rather have a Steel Reserve.

12-27-2012 00:05:41 | More by nUgZ
smakawhat

Maryland

2.2/5  rDev -0.9%

Ocean blue bottle, the one and only. Very few places I could just buy ONE bottle, so let's see how this turns out. Poured into a shaker pint.

From the bottle pours a classic straw yellow, but a real bright gold crystal clear, like a window. Head is fluffly white, snaps with lots of carbonation and falls to a collar very quickly. Slow rising carbonation comes up, mostly cola sized but just a few bubbles. Some appealing and not so appealing characters. I call average.

Nose is rank. A real strange chemical component on this. Dry. Varnishy. Unfortunately not much else. Not a real attractive profile, but for the most part it is also quite closed.

Palate hits with a little bit of expected wetness, but there's some thickness hinting at syrup like body. Corny sweet aftertaste, but also with a little bit of honey. A little bit of noticeable carbonation that seems to make a good cut through the sweetness. Alcohol is quite noticeable on the finish, and this gets quite boozy for even just 6%, somewhat fussel like also. Stomach bomb hot after several sips.

Interesting palate, and almost passable for myself, but just hints at a bit too much sweetness. One and done, I lived.

12-24-2012 19:52:02 | More by smakawhat
ILikePike

1.65/5  rDev -25.7%

What can I say, its a glorified Bud Light with a slightly higher alc content. Cool if you plan on playing beer pong or kings and a high school party. This beers a joke.

Appearance- Clear piss yellow sitting in a glass, should have kept it in the bottle. Absolutely no head, which is meh.

Smell- This has to be the worst part of the beer because I hate the way any BMC beer smells, which is cheap and corny.

Taste- I was surprised when I tried it at first, it had a little bit of a sharpness to it but not nearly enough to hide the bud light taste.

Overall- Do not waste your money and go for anything else.

12-14-2012 23:37:36 | More by ILikePike
chumsnards666

4.9/5  rDev +120.7%

I had reservations about buying this as it's a little stronger than I am used to, but let me tell you, I was pleasantly surprised!

A-The appearance is nothing short of beautiful. The golden, honey colored beer excited me as it was poured into a very bulbous snifter, which I had purchased at McGovern's (a great place to have a cold one, by the way). The lacing was like fine art. The carbonation yielded a nice finger's worth of head which told me I was in for a treat!

S-As I tilted the glass towards my head, I couldn't help but become overwhelmed by the delightful aroma which filled my nostrils. A pleasant blend of hops, barley and all that is great. The carbonation tickled my nose, which made me giggle. The only reason it got a 4.5 is because I had passed gas just before I drank.

M-The mouthfeel was nothing short of amazing. It was like a party in my mouth, but not a regular party, a party like you'd see in a movie.

T-The taste was nothing short of amazing. The years of craftsmanship that went into this godly nectar were very apparent. A smooth, wheaty flavor at first, then a crisp, ballsy finish.

O-Overall, I can not wait to crack open another one of these babies and get down to business. Another fine product, brought to us by a little brewery in the heart of America.

12-13-2012 04:17:58 | More by chumsnards666
Knapp85

1.78/5  rDev -19.8%

This poured out looking a lot like ginger ale... yellowish gold in color with a fizzy white head on top. The head vanishes and leaves nothing behind to look at on the glass or on top of the beer. The beer is clear and slightly bubbly. yellow water is what it honestly looks like. The smell of the beer has some aromas of light grains and corn... nothing really stands out. The taste is bland and gives off what I felt like chemical flavors or chlorine. The mouthfeel is water, thin, carbonated but just boring. Overall it's pretty bad... I can't seem to come up with a really good reason to buy this beer.

12-12-2012 03:56:08 | More by Knapp85
longbongsilver

Missouri

2.1/5  rDev -5.4%

First light beer review ever. Try anything once rule, plus the realization that as someone who thinks malt liquors are underrated I've already had at least somewhat favorable views of a couple A-B products, so here we are. Let's do this.

Deuce-deuce bottle fills mug very high very clear damn near white yellow. Super effervescent, head barely blinks. Very faint (as in "any closer and my nose would be *in* the beer") scent suggestive of apple, sweet corn, & cheap bubble gum. Not particularly appetizing, yet not as terrible as I expected. Actually smells better than King Cobra (which I've reconsidered upward as of late) despite being same ABV & brewer, which makes me wonder how they swung this strength without amping up smell. All that is left is to taste this...

Cracker-ish note comes in on top of what the very faint scent says, though the sweeter part comes through with surprising aggression for a light beer. It needs that though, as it goes down like soda water.

Honestly, if you want a cheap drink & are down with this level, I'd say opt for the Cobra. It may smell worse, but it tastes better & is usually cheaper (I paid 2.29 for this; Cobra is only 20 cents more around here for a 40). First light beer review? LAST light beer review.

12-11-2012 07:51:54 | More by longbongsilver
FratyardVines

Italy

2.08/5  rDev -6.3%

I must admit that around the time of the Super Bowl last year I quickly fell prey to AB’s strong ad campaign for this new beer. Everything about it really drew me in from the blue bottle to the higher abv to the rampant commercials featuring my favorite songs. I was excited by the price and was hoping for a good beer available in six packs for the price of your average light beer. I would argue that this is a better drink than your typical Bud Light, but not remarkably so. It still has a watery, metallic taste to it, despite a slight sweetness. It’s the same yellowing-golden color as Bud Light and has a slightly thicker head which dissipates with such speed most might miss it, it also leaves no lacing. So Platinum pales in comparison to most high-class bottled beers, but the role that it fulfills as a step above your average light beer for college parties, I’d say it gets the job done. I also found that it sold very well initially, as the three liquor stores I frequent were almost always sold out of it by the weekend and the owners mentioned its popularity among everyone from young drinkers to middle-age, blue collar drinkers. The crossing of demographics is an important part of Ab’s success in much of its drinks. Finally, I will never tire of its cool blue bottle.

12-04-2012 17:56:28 | More by FratyardVines