Bud Light Platinum - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Platinum Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,683 | Reviews: 347
1.23/5  rDev -44.3%

Like Bud Light but sweeter in a cheap refined way. One of the worst beers I've tried.

1.26/5  rDev -43%

Marshall McLuhan once famously said that "the medium is the message" with regard to television, but with this beer, it still applies. I still have the empty blue bottle from my original review as it looks very pretty when the sunlight hits it, sitting on the windowsill. Now they have seen fit to put it in a screw-top bottle-shaped CAN and I CANnot resist a new CAN! Don't believe me? It reads "Brewed and CANned by A.B., St. Louis, MO."

I got things unscrewed and began an aggro pour which netted me two fingers of fluffy, bone-white head with poor retention, fizzing out like pop. Color was a pale lemon-yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-plus quality clarity. Nose still had that curious Minhas smell of chewed pink bubble gum, dry cleaning solvent and plastics factory. OMFG! Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the taste was super-sweet, cotton CANdy-like and extremely cloying. Finish had an unexpected dryness, as if the yeast had really gone to town, but overall, it was unpleasant and not worth another thought.

My original bottle review, dtd 06 March 2013, scores 2.5; 1; 1; 2; 1.5 follows:

My neighbor (out the back door and across a short parking lot) is a bottle shop and he occasionally has singles for sale. When that happens, I try to grab anything that I would not normally want in any other quantity, write a review and move on. This is one of those instances.

If nothing else, it came in a pretty cobalt blue bottle, so I may see if the art department at work can use it. Otherwise, what were they thinking? Blue allows more light penetration than any other color of glass. I had two fingers of bone-white fizzing head initially until it fizzed its way to wispiness. Color was a pale lemon-yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-plus quality clarity, enabling me to see into the future. It looks like snow! Those of us south of US 30 are expected to get 6" to 8" or perhaps more. The nose had an odd Minhas-like chemical smell, like plastics and dry cleaning fluid. Fuh! Mouthfeel was thin and watery and the taste was reminiscent of the time I had trench mouth as a kid (thanks, summer camp creeps) and had to gargle with diluted hydrogen peroxide. Finish was bland. Rubbish! I am experiencing buyer's remorse.

1.26/5  rDev -43%

Half of a 12 oz bottle poured into a pony glass

A- Clear golden color with a small white head.

S- Weak, some sweet corn and grains...not good...

T- Watery sweet corn...

M- Light water...

O- Sucks, not worth the money, sweet water...Me and my friend decided ti see what is about and were disappointed...time for something good...

1.28/5  rDev -42.1%

pours light yellow with a big fizzy white head that faded fast and left no lacing

smells of sweet grains/corn/rice and alcohol

taste is those same sweet watered down grains and the aftertaste that it left in my mouth was horrid

mouthfeel is watery thin with decent carbonation

overall - whats the point of this beer? its bud light with a higher abv

1.3/5  rDev -41.2%

Generally, I go through and do a pretty detailed job on my beer reviews. To me, beer reviewing is as much art as science, and I take a lot of pride in my reviews. I take notes, I do my homework on the styles, I really enjoy tasting, drinking, and reviewing beer.

That beng said, I am not going to waste a lot of energy on this review. I try to avoid reviewing too many macro products, although this is not my first, but I kind of think it's a little lame. Anyway...

This beer looks a lot like any other macro when you pour it. Straw colored, very clear, no real head or lacing. It eally doesn't smell like much at all. Maybe corn or some slight grains.

It pretty much tastes like a thicker, nastier version of Bud Light. Not a huge fan of either product. Highly carbonated finish.

Overall, this beer is not good. I got this beer from a party where the buyer (not me) didn't want it (I wonder why), so I took it home. Six free beers, why not? For the price I have seen this selling for, no way. If I'm going macro, give me Busch Light, Coors, or Natty.

1.3/5  rDev -41.2%

Why???? WHY??? DO I KEEP TRYING these beers?

A: Pours with basically no head and no fizz. Once it settles you could piss in a glass and sit it next to this beer and couldn't tell the difference. Not cool

S: Smell is corn, some weird fruit flavor and almost a bit like....ZIMA!!!! Whatever the combination is it just doesnt work.

T: Wow - taste is like a diet drink. Is there nutrasweet in this? My god i feel like I'm drinking an appletini.

M: Not bad - carbonation is low and this beer will likely be very popular in fraternities and sororities.

O: COMPLETE FAIL. I can tolerate bud light. Can't tolerate this one even though I want to at 6.0 abv.

1.32/5  rDev -40.3%

I've never been a Bud Light fan, but I was curious about this one. I didn't wanna spend 7 bucks on a six pack, so I decided to wait for a double deuce to come out. Finally saw one at the gas station and picked it up. Boy I sure am glad I didn't buy a sixer.

I agree with the guy below me, Anheuser-Busch took a lousy beer and made it terrible. Pours out light yellow (probably why they call it platinum) and foamy as all hell. If you were to take a Bud Light, and pour two restaurant sugar packets in it, you'd have this.

I always try to find something good in every beer I try, but it's nowhere to be found here. I hate to slam a beer like this, but this is just awful. Not worth a dime, I'd take a Natty Light any day over this.

1.35/5  rDev -38.9%

A- I'm pretty sure this beer doesn't have a SRM value. Very pale gold.

S- Has a sweet aroma. Unfortunately that is the only scent I can pick up.

T- As predicted by my smell test, the beer is sweet, without any trace of hops. Taste very similar to my first homebrew done with a Mr. Beer kit.

M- Light with a decent amount of carbonation.

O- Although I prefer it to bud light but I will won't be touching this beer again. I gave it a shot and it doesn't compare to some of the better light adjunct lagers out there.

1.37/5  rDev -38%

take the watery extract flavors of a bud light and add the burning stomach churning effect of grain alcohol, and you have a bud light platinum. as much as I hate the politics, marketing, and desired demographic (see my black crown review), I also hate the beer. it just tastes awful, metallic and boozy, yet somehow still diluted. its a mess from top to bottom. if it had no taste it would have a passable mouthfeel, that's about it. upbeat carbonation and a lighter body, but it cant save a beer that tastes more like a caustic chemical reaction than an honest brew for human consumption. I have no interest in ever consuming one of these again. it had the profound effect of bringing me from craving a beer badly to instantly not wanting to drink anymore, they should treat alcoholics with this wash, might turn them off too. id honestly rather drink any dirty 40 from the gas station than have another one of these. steer clear.

This is an abomination.

Smells like bud light spiked with a nice single malt Scotch. Taste like it smells. Cheap and tawdry. The way they souped it up during the Superbowl, I was anticipating a serious attempt at a respectable beer. Could have been brewed in a prison toilet...

look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This is my second review of Bud Light Platinum. Comparing this to my new found love of IPA's, Let's see what we get. Poured from a mini keg into a lager glass. Pours a piss yellow with half a finger's worth of foamy head, Leaving absolutely no lacing. The smell was horrendous. Rotten corn, Vomit, and some stale rice. The taste wasn't much better. Some chemical grain, the faintest amount of malt, and perhaps some rubbing alchohol? Tasted horrendous compared to crafts. The mouthfeel was a heavy metallic flavor with even more of what seemed like burning chemicals coming through. This beer is not smooth whatsoever. Overall, This is absolute garbage, And I am glad that I had finally made the choice to start exploring REAL beer. I cannot believe I used to drink this slop and enjoy it.

1.38/5  rDev -37.6%

This beer pours pale yellow with fizzy bubbles and wispy head. Aroma is of crackly sweet adjuncts, corn and rice?

Taste is fizzy and astringent, bitter and not in a good way. No trace of aromatic hops, but cloying sweet rice and cereal.

Finishes like sour milk, very gross. It gives me gas and a headache. I can't stand it.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a Pilsner Glass, bought this as part of a mix-a-six

Appearance - Very pale straw yellow color which almost looks white. This looks like straight up urine you'd find in a doctor's office.

Smell - Steamed Cooked Veggies, Cereal Grains, and Alcohol. It's like they took Bud Light and added some extra alcohol in here. This does not smell good at all!

Taste - Everything that was bad about the smell is not much better in the flavor. Cooked Sweet Corn, cereal grains, and rubbing alcohol. It's like they took Bud Light and added some Everclear to it.

Mouthfeel - This beer is super-carbonated, but at least it's crisp feeling....not that it helps any! Also, I'm getting a headache from this thing, and I'm not even done with it yet

Overall - This is an insult to the word "beer". You see.... beer should be a wonderful thing, not an ugly abomination like this. I'm going to sum it up in one phrase directed at Anheuser-Busch "This beer is bad and you should feel bad!"

1.41/5  rDev -36.2%

The beer poured pale with a healthy dose of carbonation. Didn't look terrible, but didn't give the extra frothy head you'd hope to see that resembles a cartoonish poor of a standard issue American Pilsner.

Very stylish blue bottle with platinum writing that looks like it should contain some uber-hipster vodka as opposed to a "top shelf" beer. I can see people drinking this in some trendy club listening to Zombie Nation, or lunkheads in college raving about "DUDE IT HAS MORE ALCOHOL" before downing a dozen of them and ralphing up a chunky blend of cafeteria processed chicken patties and this unflattering swill.

Drank it out of a bottle, but it still tasted like I sipped it from a rusty can. Tastes very similar to Bud Light but filtered through a cheesecloth lined with old pennies. They somehow made Bud Light worse,

I guess it is what it is, and I wasn't expecting anything great, or good, or passable, or tolerable. Yeah it's pretty bad.

Strongest recommendation to avoid. Try seltzer water, but instead of fresh water some type of recycled gray water sitting in a boiler room basin

cheers!

1.41/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Poured for bottle into a pint glass

A- Watered down apple juice but with a lot of bubbles and small white head

S- Almost no aroma to speak of but slight cracker and the smallest hop aroma apart from it's normal version

T- About the same as the nose like drinking fizzy water that makes you drunk, which is the point of this thing, right?

M- I guess as thin and drinkable as water can be only you'd have to stop once you fell on the floor from being too drunk, which I'm sure has happened with this beer.

O- I drank this cuz my sister who doesn't like beer bought a 6-pack, drank 4 and didn't want the other 2. Would never buy this, although it's not the worst Bud offering I've had, that goes to Bud Select. About the only thing going for this is that it comes in a cool blue bottle, yay! Welp, now I guess I'll rinse my mouth out and pop open that St. Bernardus Abt 12.

1.42/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

Pours a super light golden color with huge bubbly head that almost instantly vanishes. The adjunct aromas in this are the strongest and worst I've smelled in a macro. Goes down pretty harsh and taste is taste putrid. Probably the worst adjunct I've ever had. No redeeming qualities here.

1.42/5  rDev -35.7%

When pouring this beer it looked clear coming out of the bottle. I was a bit confused, not sure what to expect from here on. Glass filled, there is a bit of color, but mostly looks like water with some bud light splashed in giving a clear slight straw color. An aggressive pour yields a small head that in gone in seconds with no lacing whatsoever.

Aroma is a combination of malt and metallic notes. Thankfully it's very dull.

Taste is similar to the smell, a strong metallic taste which may be why they named it platinum. Has a strange aftertaste which is very hard to describe other than awful.

This beer is very carbonated; has me burping like crazy.

Overall this is one of the worst beers I've ever had. It's extremely hard to finish the bottle. Even the bump in ABV does not make up for it's failures.

1.45/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Bottle (2012)

Big thanks to Alucard4 for the gift!

A very light straw color. No head, even after an incredibly aggressive pour. Leaves the glass nearly clean.

Very little aroma whatsoever. Smells a bit like bread or corn but that might be my imagination. There certainly isn't much.

The taste follows the nose which means there isn't much here at all. No bitterness, very little malt, and corn. This is awful.

The mouthfeel is similar to water.

Worse than Bud Light. Better than Bud Light Chelada. There you have it.

1.45/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Was hanging out with a friend and he handed this to me. Poured from a 12 fl. oz. bottle into clear plastic cup(was at friends apartment and that's all he had unfortunately)

A- Very pale yellow, poured with barely any head that did not linger, almost no lacing.

S- Very grapey, with the slightest hint of hops.

T- Like water with grapes and some hops. wanted to throw it down the drain but wanted to be polite to the friend that so graciously gave it to me.

M- Watery, thin, typical of the brand.

O- Bad beer. I don't know the price on this but it is probably way overpriced. Avoid, avoid, avoid

1.46/5  rDev -33.9%

12oz bottle poured into a tumbler.

Appearance: Pale straw yellow, thin white head - barest level of lacing noted.

Smell: Practically none, maybe a hint of grain.

Taste: At first nothing, then a bit of crispness following by a really bad sweet finish. It's like the hops were left out or were not dosed properly. The sweetness isn't even enjoyable...it's quite unpleasant like something else off has been mixed in there. I thought maybe it was the food I had with this (cheese and crackers) but drank some water and tried again. Nope - not good.

Mouthfeel: Watery, but not fizzy. Otherwise nothing special.

Overall / Drinkability: I could not finish this because of the taste. I'm not sure what they were thinking behind this one but this is not a good lager nor is it a good beer. Appearance is probably the only thing this beer has going for it. To the best of my knowledge, the first time I was unable to finish a beer to date. I don't like to be down on beer at all, but this one is poorly put together - at least to my tastebuds anyway.

1.46/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

This stuff tastes like garbage. I was given one by a friend at a party, and decided to give it a shot. It's way too sweet and pretty gross. Although regular Bud Light isn't too flavorful, the upside is that the bad flavors are all pretty tame. In Bud Light Platinum, they're even stronger and worse. This beer tastes like it's been filtered through a skunk. Let the frat bros drink this one because I know I won't ever again.

1.47/5  rDev -33.5%

Pours out a light yellow straw hue with a thick foamy white head that quickly disappears. Very little retention, no lacing and high carbonation. Can hardly smell anything in this beer, even though I get hints of the typical old corn and old rice smell of the typical american light beer. The taste starts out with some rice, some sweet syrups, followed by alcohol and finishes off with hints of sweet malts. If there is any hops in this, I can't taste them. The mouthfeel is a very light bodied and watered down beer that is smooth and easy to drink. This beer is good if you want a light beer to try to get drunk off of and don't care for taste, but if you care about taste and quality this beer is not for you and it is not for me.

1.48/5  rDev -33%

A: Interesting blue bottle. Don't see that too often. Pours golden yellow. Very clear. Light white foamy head that disappears almost instantly.

S: Corn, lots of sweet corn.

T: Malts, more of that sweet corn. This stuff is really sweet.

M: Watery, flat. Almost no carbonation here. A long lingering sweet aftertaste

O: It's kind of bad... I think I prefer a normal bud light, this is just too sweet for my taste.

1.48/5  rDev -33%

Pale gold color with a small foamy white head which fades quickly leaving no lacing. Smells like cooked grain, probably rice. Very bland.

Taste is much the same as the aroma. Cooked grain, very little in the way of hops or malt flavor. Blah.

6.00 % abv is a light beer? Since when? Well carbonated, and light bodied. I was curious enough to try one of these, but I should have known better. Avoid at all costs.

1.49/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Pours a thin yellow with a fizzy head. Smells slightly metallic with a lot of alcohol. The taste is just bud light with a bit more alcohol on the finish. Not a fan of the beer but I can see why it's popular.

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch