Bud Light Platinum - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Platinum Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,683 | Reviews: 347
2.69/5  rDev +21.7%

Pours a clear, straw color. 1/4 inch head of a white color. Slight Retention and poor lacing. Smells of citrus hops, slight alcohol, hint of pale malt, rice, and a hint of sweet malt. Fits the style of a Light Lager. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of citrus hops, pale malt, slight alcohol, slight metallic, and rice. Overall, weak in appearance, aroma, and body. Blend and feel are the best qualities.

2.7/5  rDev +22.2%

Appearance – Light yellowish-orange in the body with a moderate head.

Smell – This is a nice, light grainy nose without anything offensive.

Taste – There’s a little mold in that grain at the taste but not so much that you can’t drink through it. Of course the hops are completely absent.

Mouthfeel – This is light as it should be with a mild carbonation, not too fizzy like some poor macro examples of the style.

Drinkability – If you’re eating something salty this isn’t bad but as with most Buds it can’t stop up on its own.

2.7/5  rDev +22.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Enjoyed this 12oz bottle out of a large snifter glass.

A: Pours a clear golden hue with a thick white head that slowly dissipates down the glass leaving a nice trail and ending in a soild lace.

S: Mild aromas of grains and malt with a hint of creaminess.

T: Smooth and slightly tart flavor and again like the aroma there is a creaminess here

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: I was not looking forward to drinking this beer – but it was a decent brew. Defintely better than a regular Bud light with a little more alcohol - but nothing I would grab again.

2.7/5  rDev +22.2%

Bottle provided by my friend Brian, thanks!

Pale yellow with a white head that vanished also instantly.

Grape-like fruity aroma. Weirdly wine-like.

The flavor, strangly, is also wine-like, with notes of white grape juice. Better than most beers in this style, with more flavor. Though see my final graf for my thoughts on it being a light lager. No hop flavor at all.

At 6 percent, I'm not really sure you can call this a light lager, especially considering it has more alcohol than Budweiser. It's better than I expected.

2.71/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

tastes like a stronger bud l light

2.71/5  rDev +22.6%

Served in a tumbler.

Been waiting with baited breath for this randomness to come out. Call it a ticker's curiosity. It pours a clear straw topped by a finger or so of white foam. The nose is faint, with undertones of corn syrup, light grass, light sweet flowers, and mild wheat. The taste is a blast of corn syrup sweetness, with some grains hidden behind. A touch of sweetgrass flares up as well. The body is a light-leaning medium, with a moderate carbonation and a lightly syrupy feel. Overall, this honestly ain't as bad as it initially sounded. Frankly, I'd take this over a normal Bud Light any day...

2.73/5  rDev +23.5%

I knew I would never pay for this so when my brother offered me one I was slightly eager to try it.

A - Well it looks like a light lager, piss yellow with a 1/4 inch of white head that is very fizzy. As expected.

S - Well it smells better than a regular bud which in my opinion is not even palatable. Sweet malts and the faintest of hopping make up this corny brew.

T - Well it defiantly better than bud light hands down. Light corn flavor, sugary sweet malts, and no hops in the flavor. Eh.

M - Light bodied as expected for this light lager.

Overall if offered again (usually when the good stuff is gone) it's perfectly drinkable. Not something I would buy even if it was cheap as hell.

2.73/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

My beer quaffing has not been good for the old waist line, and I'm actually growing a little weary of dense, heavy brews, so I thought I'd try some light beer for a change up. This stuff struck my curiosity, with the high ABV but low calories.

Poured from the blue bottle into a shaker pint. A moderate pour produces about an inch of froth, which proves sticky enough. The beer is a pale straw color with high carbonation.

You can really smell the adjuncts- plenty of DMS, suggesting cooked corn, along with a bite of alcohol fruitiness. The overall flavor is a quite a bit more reasonable, but quite watery as you might expect. Just a tiny little bit of earthy bitterness. Watery mouth feel with a clean finish.

This is basically a light malt liquor, and rather unique as it is. It's not very flavorful but it's also not terrible. This beer would be good for someone who likes light lagers but wants a bit more kick.

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Solid sessionable macro. It is what it is.

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Very average everything. Great for getting drunk but almost not worth it for the price/quality.

2.75/5  rDev +24.4%

a strong malt liquor taste, not as bad as steel reserve. It will mess you up if you have to many. Platinum Problems

2.77/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pretty much tastes the same as regular Bud Light but with 6 ABV. Pours out straw yellow, and pretty flat. The aroma has a slight alcohol smell and that is about it. It really does not taste like much either. I will not buy it again because I would rather drink a hoppy IPA if I want a high alcohol percentage, but it definitely got the job done!

2.77/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Very light, straw-colored beer with a short-lived fizz-up, like something out of a commercial. What's left after thirty seconds? A tiny ring and spotty surface foam.

Crisp, and somewhat clean, adjunct grain aromas. Rice is a guess. Well-lagered. Smooth with hints of husks and steeliness. Not very bright.

Sharp and a little sweet. Cooked veggies, husky grain, fusel, and a kiss of pseudo-floral hop bite. Easy to drink. 6% might seem invasive for a Bud Light drinker, but this has a good sensibility to its strength. Has some body to work with, if not, too wooly and/or oily for an adjunct lager. Dial down the carbonation, or maybe just distribute it a bit, and you have a decent feel, strangely enough. Put-together like a science experiment, it really could be a solid go-to for pale lager drinkers.

2.78/5  rDev +25.8%

A slightly aggressive pour gets me half a finger of bubbly white head that disappears in less than a minute. Body is a clear pale straw color. A multitude of bubbles is noted rushing bottom to top.

Smell is watery adjunct. Sweet corn and pale sweet malts up front. Light grassy hops in there as well.

Flavor is similar to regular Bud Light, but somehow slightly more enjoyable. Sweet corn and malts, vaguely bitter grassy hops, everything seeming rather watery.

Again, I can't help but compare this to the original. Body seems slightly fuller and more sophisticated.

2.8/5  rDev +26.7%

Remarkable. This has got to be the most flavorless beer I've ever experienced. The faintest bit of sweet corn and a touch of alcohol and that's it.
However, I would label this beer a resounding success in that I believe this is exactly what AB was trying to produce. Truly a beer for people who don't like the taste of beer.
I can't say it's not drinkable either. It's highly drinkable because there's just not anything there to dislike flavor-wise.
A cold one on a hot day would be fine, but I like the taste of beer and therefore would pass on this.

2.8/5  rDev +26.7%

First, I want to say that this is too expensive for what it is. And what it is, is a very confused beer.

The blue bottles are unique and get a thumbs up. I didn't pour it out of the bottle, so I can't judge the appearance.

Smell's like Bud light...bug surprise there! Corn, rice, etc prevail.

Taste is a let-down. This is supposed to be a craft light beer--whatever that is. Very sweet taste, which doesn't hide the 6.0% abv at all. Give me a King Cobra instead and I'd be much more pleased.

Mouth feel is light, so it did achieve that for the style. Lots of carbonation, almost seems artificially carbonated.

Overall, this is a light beer trying to be a malt liquor, or a malt liquor trying to be a light beer. Identity crisis? Yes! A-B should put it in tall cans and 40s and call it a day.

2.81/5  rDev +27.1%

Alright!! BLP is out! Been expecting this beer for about 2 months. Reading about this beer and reasoning behind it, I've come to this conclusion. This beer was made because BL is a huge seller ( I believe its the #1 seller in us) and that since this beer is found at most college parties, house parties, bars, etc, that there would be a large market of people who go straight for it because its higher ABV. Alot of college people like getting hammered and BLP will get them there, and they're familiar with it. On to the beer.

I've had malt liquor before, I admit it. I think it smells like no other beers with that chemical smell goin on with it (similar to four loko). BLP has a bit of this smell but not as bad, its a cross. I can tell right off that there is traditional BL in this, but the aftertaste has that malt liquor flavor to it. I am willing to tolerate it with the extra ABV. And I like that fact that the mouthfeel is better with the more moderate carbonation vs. regular.
Overall I think that this beer will work out well. Personally I think that it tastes different than BUD ICE, althought similar in ABV. I think I like it because to me BL is a go to beer for chugging and now that its lower carbonation it will make that easier. And the added alcohol is a bonus for the purpose this beer serves for me.

2.83/5  rDev +28.1%

Poured from a blue 12 oz. bottle. Has a bright yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of corn,an unusual somewhat musty odor.Taste is light, a bit musty, alcohol is present, some grains. Feels light in the mouth and overall this is a mediocre beer.

2.88/5  rDev +30.3%

Appearance - Light yellow, and a stark-white soapy that dissipates into a small ring.

Aroma - Sweet, adjuncts. A lot like Natural Ice, but much less pleasant.

Taste - Grains, a little alcohol, sweetness, a slight bit of barley malt, and lots of adjuncts.

Finish - Clean, crisp, refreshing, dry.

2.89/5  rDev +30.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I had a bottle of this, it was pretty average for the style, the only thing going for it really is an increased abv threshold. I think for the price it isn't bad, but it really doesn't have much in the way of flavor beyond a corn pop type sweetness. I can't say it is really a flawed beer meaning having noticeable flavor deficiencies unless you consider lack of flavor one, then it is pretty bland which is why I gave it a below average score

2.9/5  rDev +31.2%

Served in a clear, bright blue bottle and poured into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Very pale golden color with a bubbly white head that fades pretty quick.

Smell: The smell is somewhat sweet with hints of fruit and grains.

Taste: The taste, similar to it's smell, is sweet and the fruit stands out a bit more, but it isn't overwhelming by any means. Very light, and no bitterness to speak of. I wouldn't guess it had 6% alcohol had I not known before hand.

Mouthfeel: Very smooth and light in body. I like the carbonation and it's easy to drink.

Overall: Not my favorite, but it is definitely something I can see myself drinking on the back porch with a few friends in the future. It has a decent flavor and packs a solid punch for a light beer.

2.9/5  rDev +31.2%

Poured from bottle into pint glass

Appearance – Pours a light golden color with a billowy white head. The head fades fast giving just an ever so light bit of lacing.

Smell – Sweet corn aromas are big and bold. The lightest bit of citrus seems to be present as well, but is light in comparison to the sweet corn aroma.

Taste – The taste is as the nose suggests. It gives a big hit of sweet corn taste. Just as in the nose, there is the slightest bit of lemon citrus that bitters the flavor ever so slightly toward the end (still quite sweet however) and rounds out the taste.

Mouthfeel – Medium bodied with a very appropriate level of carbonation. It is also much less watery then the normal light beer.

Overall – This is actually much more flavorful then the average light beer and its mouthfeel blows the normal light beer out of the water. It still is very one dimensional however with its taste consists nearly entirely of corn. Better than the average light beer, that is for sure, but not something to pine for.

2.92/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Better ABV than other Bud products, but has a different after taste.

2.94/5  rDev +33%

Bud Light Platinum cannot be judged as a craft beer because it's not and it's not trying to be. What it is trying to be is a high alcohol content light American lager with mass appeal. In this, they have succeeded. It's a approachable beer that requires less work to get drunk (and I think that's the whole point). It has most of the distinguishing characteristics of regular Bud Light; refreshing smell, crystal clear and fizzy, faded gold color. The higher alcohol content is masked by a sweetness that is muted and vague but surprisingly pleasant. If I ever find myself at a frat party again, however unlikely that may be, I just might bring this one along.

2.95/5  rDev +33.5%

A bud light with a slightly better taste and a little more alcholol kick. Clear, little head but a better alternative than bud light if you can afford the extra calories and extra cost. Will drink on occasion when drinking light beer but still lacks the the taste of a Miller Light (just my personal presence). All in all not a bad beer for everyday occasions, just not up there with the special ones.

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch