Bud Light Platinum - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Platinum Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,679 | Reviews: 345
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A Bottle poured into a mug, light yellow, small white head that leaves quickly, very little lacing.

S Bread, corn

T Corn, metallic, bland

M Carbonation, bland, watery, can feel the 6% alcohol in my mouth and not much else.

O Bought a sixer for 6.99 to give it a try, won't buy it again. It is too bland for my tastes. Would drink Bud Ice over this. The blue bottles are cool though.

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Thin white foam dissapates quickly ou of the bottle. Leaves a few trace elements of residual foam on he surface, looks more like an oil slick than lacing. Hyper carbonated. Medium yellow, crystal clear body - looks like concentrated urine (the dehydrated type).

Smell: Slightly stronger smell (with the same profile) as Bud Light. Odor of earthy-wheaty maybe rice(y) grains with definite strong, malty overtones (like malt liquor).

Taste: Slightly, malty sweet on the front end. Tastes like a cross between the dry, acrid taste of Bud Light and Mickeys. Hrrrggh... Kinda throws me off.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Slightly heavier than a regular bud with a sort of buttery smoothness.

I would say its not an improvement over Bud Light but its definitely stronger. I'll be enjoying that later tonight at Lazer Tag.

1.5/5  rDev -32.1%

I do not enjoy this beer, very sweet, almost tastes like regular bud light had a baby with Sweet & Low. The red bull like cans are a turn off as well, I think.

1.52/5  rDev -31.2%

A: poured from a 12oz bottle to a frosty iced pint glass. It left about a 4" head that I had to scoop out to finish pouring. Kinda looks like carbonated urine.

S: bready, malty, alcohol, not much else here

T: breast malt that finishes with a hefty taste of alcohol. Taste like it smells, but not as bad as it looks

M: very high carbonation, clean and watered down

O: this is a terrible beer, it's not balanced at all. The only reason I grabbed it is because the gas station didn't have any good beer and figured I'd give it a shot...

1.52/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Way too sweet . That being said , with a 6% abv and only 4.4 carbs, it's good if you wanna get drunk and watch your waistline at the same time

look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Clear, pale yellow, with a thick head of white carbonation which dissipates into absolutely nothing at all.

Nose is subtle. I get almost nothing -- a bit of cream corn and maybe a little citrus. Weird.

Taste is sweet and sticky. Hints of fruity citrus are in there, which I'd suppose(?) is the hops, but this one seems way off balance to me. I'm trying to be fair, but this one barely feels like beer, it's so sweet. Awful, and a challenge to finish.

look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Clear golden body with tons of rising bubbles. The white head dissipates lightning fast. No lacing.

Aroma: Slightly sweet, kind of a glue-like aroma, some metallic notes.

Taste: Sweet up front. Boozy. A faint metallic and sour finish.

Mouthfeel: Carbonated, oddly sticky.

Overall: There's just something about this beer that is off. It's very malty, boozy, and metallic. Not sure what they were going for here. It wasn't refreshing at all.

1.53/5  rDev -30.8%

Really not much to say that I'm sure hasn't been said already. No real appearance to speak of. Not really any smell or taste that I'm guessing was the intention. Overall really just a alcohol delivery device. And I'm my opinion not a very good one. Bourbon works faster and taste better in my opinion.

1.55/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very light straw yellow color, with a short white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains very light malts along with adjuncts and a very faint bit of hops.

T: The taste starts with a mild breadiness from adjuncts and a thin malt character, Then some malt sweetness quickly follows. The hops presence is almost non-existent but brings a least a little bit of balance. The after-taste is slightly bready.

M: A little crisp and a little smooth, light body, medium-to-heavy carbonation, finish is clean.

D: There isn’t much flavor to it, goes down very easily and not filling at all since there's not much substance to the beer, mild kick, I’m not really picking up much of any difference between this and the regular Bud Light.

1.56/5  rDev -29.4%

This beer pours a clear, sparkling yellow with no head or lace. The aroma is lemons and corn. The flavor is mainly lemony with cake and sweet corn notes. It's mouthfeel is thin and it sours as it warms. Bud Light Platinum is okay in a pinch, barely recommended.

1.56/5  rDev -29.4%

I don't normally review beers I'm sure I won't enjoy, but since a friend already made the mistake of paying money for this stuff, I gave it a whirl.

Pale clear yellow, like yellowish water. The only thing I smell is yeast, smells like the trub you leave behind in your brewing pail.

I'd love to say that it tastes nasty, offensive or terrible, but the truth is that it really doesn't have a taste. It's like bubbly water with some corn extract flavor. I've had worse tasting beers, but at least they tasted like beer. This is nothing. Not worth the time at all.

1.57/5  rDev -29%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

This stuff doesn't taste any different than Bud Light. I haven't done a side-by-side to be sure, though, so perhaps there are some nuances and small subtleties that hadn't carried over in my memory.

Pale straw-yellow body, crystal clear with a bone-white "head" that fizzles away quicker than my checking account after BCBS is released each year. Grains on the nose, grains on the nose, smellin' like a BUD with yo' grains on the nose. Grainy, corny, and full of metallic tones, this stuff is not a pleasure to smell, and it only gets more pungent as it warms.

Drink it ice cold, so you numb your taste buds from the poorly laid out grains and sweet, corn-like malts. More metallic in the taste, this stuff couldn't be any more "meh". No alcohol taste present (6% ABV woo!) Crisp, lighter-than-light mouth feel. Stay away from this stuff, unless you're trying to hit that frat boy buzz.

1.57/5  rDev -29%

A - Drank directly out of the bottle, but from what I could gather by looking at it through the blue bottle (which is pretty cool, but doesn't make the beer any better), looks like the regular, run of the mill light beer.

S - Smells like beer. A little more beery than the usual light beer, but nothing special. Can't pick up on the "high ABV" this beer claims to have at all.

T - Bud Light. That is what this tastes like. Bud Light with a little more beer in it maybe...

M - Thought I was drinking water for a few moments. Has no carbonation really, and doesn't have that beer feel most beers have.

O - It's a good idea for people who like light beer and want to get drunk, but for those of us who actually have taste buds and a functioning brain, I'd definitely avoid this beer.

1.57/5  rDev -29%

Appearance of Bottle: made me want to immediately hop on my private jet and say to the pilot emphatically "To Beirut, son."

Apperance of Beverage: dehydrated potty but on the edges gold bars under a fantastically large and dim microfiche reader. I saw one lace but perhaps it could have been saliva from savagely drooling over what I had been told from several reputable sources was outstanding.

Smell: nose was pungently undisturbing with slight tinges of the straw that served as the floor of Affirmed's bed.

Taste: 60 year old pillow stuffing from Estonia, depleted uranium and cigarette filters. I can detect slight undertones of mercury but it fades fast... or it makes me percieve that it does.

Overall: i would drink this over bud light. Would use as the foil in a mystery cooler.

12oz bottle poured into a pilsner glass

A: Pours a translucent light straw/urine color, with 1.5 fingers width of white head, which dissipates down very quickly to effectively nothing.  Leaves trace amount of spotty lacing. Tons of carbonation bubbles can be seen rising to the top of the glass, which would help the appearance if not for the completely unappealing base color.

S: Generic sweetness, some hop spice, lots of corn, a hay like characteristic, skunk/road kill (seriously).  Pretty gross.

T: Not much going on here.  A big generic sweetness, and traditional pilsner malt/ AAL flavors.   Not terrible at first but gets worse with every sip as the generic sweetness and adjunct flavors become more and more offensive.

M/D: Not as thin as I anticipated.  Medium bodied, with heavy carbonation.  The mouthfeel is somewhat syrupy, but not in a good way.  Drinkability is exceedingly low for the style.

O: I'm not really sure where this beer fits in the scheme of things.  I get that the point was to make a higher ABV bud light, but this seems to accentuate the negative qualities of both light beer and higher ABV beer.  It has the flavor profile of a heavy light adjunct lager, with the drinkability of a thicker, bad, high ABV beer.  If the goal is 'beer to get you drunk', it doesn't really work since the drinkability is so low. I could easily drink multiple coors lights before I would drink one of these.  If the goal was to make a more flavorful light beer, again it misses the mark as it does have MORE flavor, but the flavor is just plain bad.  This is a complete miss for me, and something I do think I would ever buy, no matter what the occasion.

1.58/5  rDev -28.5%

Appearance
Poured from a pretty blue bottle, which successfully hides the "watered-down apple juice" look. It almost reminds me of apple wine mixed with carbonated water, a popular drink in Frankfurt, Germany. The complete lack of head completes the picture.

Smell
Typical macro-lager smell: corn, grains, and canned mushrooms. Nothing else to smell here, move along.

Taste
There is a slight hint of cheap beer up front, then a sweetness reminiscent of (again) apple juice, a split-second of slight bitterness, and then nothing. One of the most forgettable and un-beery taste profile's I've ever tried. But it lacks the urine-flavor many BMCs tend to have. That's good, right? Right?

Mouthfeel
I honestly can't stop comparing this to watered down apple juice. If someone told me that this was in fact 75% carbonated water and 25% apple juice, I'd believe it in a heartbeat.

Overall
Imagine Keystone Light, with a hint of apple juice and water from a can of canned corn. It's fizzy, forgettable, forthright fraudulent. This doesn't even go well with pizza.

1.58/5  rDev -28.5%

This beer was from a bomber lol. Served iced cold and in pint glass.

A- The body of the beer is well pale urine yellow. The head of the beer was white and immediately left. No lacing noted on the glass.

S- The aroma is lightly sweetened sort of like the water you would drain off of a bag of Uncle Bens instant rice. Not a hint of hops.

T- The flavor is a light grainy lightly sweetened flavor and nothing else. I bet this is what the water from an Uncle Bens instant rice boil taste like.

M- The body is light and fizzy.

O- Just a waste of money!... Nothing to reccomend and zero enjoyment. This is an alcohol delivery system and nothing else.

Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Light golden color, body is flat looking. White head very thin rising to 1/3".

Smell: have you smelled nothing, then you have smelled platinum.

Taste: light hops, ten again it a light beer. NOthing else going on even though it has a 6% ABV level you can't even taste any alcohol.

Mouth: slightly dry, and a little flat.

Overall: spend the extra bucks and get yourself something real, very bland and you will find better out there. Salud.

1.6/5  rDev -27.6%

What can I say, its a glorified Bud Light with a slightly higher alc content. Cool if you plan on playing beer pong or kings and a high school party. This beers a joke.

Appearance- Clear piss yellow sitting in a glass, should have kept it in the bottle. Absolutely no head, which is meh.

Smell- This has to be the worst part of the beer because I hate the way any BMC beer smells, which is cheap and corny.

Taste- I was surprised when I tried it at first, it had a little bit of a sharpness to it but not nearly enough to hide the bud light taste.

Overall- Do not waste your money and go for anything else.

1.61/5  rDev -27.1%

I bought a 6 pack and had them over a few days. They were born in Januaryof 2012.

Appearance: A pale gold or straw color. Poured into a pilsener glass and achieved about a finger of foam which quickly disappeared leaving no lacing. Fair carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass.

Smell: I am not being mean here. This smelled like detergent. Thought my glass may not have been rinsed completely but all six of them smelled the same.

Taste: There is very little taste. Slight hops but mostly nothing.

Mouthfeel: Thin. You can feel the alcohol on your tongue which at 6% you should. Finishes smooth and semi-dry.

Overall: This is disappointing. Even as a light lager this leaves a lot to be desired. There was a great deal of hype building up to this product being released but for me I won't be having this again. AB offers other light lagers that more pleasing than this one.

1.61/5  rDev -27.1%

Budweiser Light Platinum (2013) - At 6% ABV a Sam Adam's Light grade beer is expected if not more. With some 130 calories I'm saying to myself this has to have more flavor than Bud Light regular. On both counts I was wrong. A thick foamy head reduces too mild lacing. Very active carbonation. Think wheat aromas abound. Crystal clear yellow body with very wet mouthfeel. On the front of the palette there is very little taste to be had. Faint wheat and grass taste if that. Lots of water mid-palette. Very weak malt flavor. Back palette there is very faint hops and rice. I think weak Natty Ice. This is Bud Light alright and not much more. Actually it's horrible when you really think about it because as far as light beers go this has more calories than it should. Since a Guinness has less calories I'm at a loss why I'd even think to buy this over regular Bud Light since it's cheaper or Guinness since it's better tasting. Hell I could get Third Shift or Sam's Light for around the same price. If ABV is your thing-- Natural Ice or Milwaukee's Best has more taste, higher ABV, and is cheaper. So again-- what's the point. With Bud Black Crown I get it-- pay better for good Bud. But with this I don't get it. Pay more for a potent Bud Light with more calories? It's an ill place and no purpose beer. I rarely say this but 1 out of 5 stars. Pretend it's not even on the shelf.

1.63/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a light copperish yellow with some soapy head that fades away away quickly. The nose is fruity and smells like corn and apples. The taste is the same; grainy and sweet with corn and apple notes. The mouthfeel is very light and heavily carbonated.

It's flavor profile is incredibly light and is dominated by that apple-like off flavor. I didn't have high expectations so I won't say I'm disappointed. I'll be passing on this in the future.

1.63/5  rDev -26.2%

This is an interesting one. The most confusing part to me is how they are able to pass this as a light beer. it only has a handful of calories less than regular Budweiser. I think it would have made more sense to simply call it 'Budweiser Platinum'. I think the main purpose was to produce a beer with a slightly boosted ABV. Because that's what it tastes like. A Bud with some more alcohol. That makes it a better choice than Bud or Bud Light if you want to get wasted. It's redeeming qualites stop there i think.

1.65/5  rDev -25.3%

Poured into a standard pint glass, color is straw gold, head is 1/2'' thick, but dissipates immediately.

Smell is grainy, bland, corn, ugh.

Taste is all corn and awful grain - i'm going to pour out a portion of it.

Mouthfeel is way over caronated, too crisp and mixed with over sweetened - but not to balance or blend.

Overall, awful beer.

1.66/5  rDev -24.9%

What the hell were they thinking. This is one of the worst beers I have ever tasted. Fire the brewmaster and the idiots who approved this mess.I brewed an IPA and on my first shot it wasn't bad but I don't know what the hell they were trying to do with this one.

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch