Bud Light Platinum - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Platinum Alström Bros
Reviews: 317 | Hads: 1,744
1.38/5  rDev -39.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a Pilsner Glass, bought this as part of a mix-a-six

Appearance - Very pale straw yellow color which almost looks white. This looks like straight up urine you'd find in a doctor's office.

Smell - Steamed Cooked Veggies, Cereal Grains, and Alcohol. It's like they took Bud Light and added some extra alcohol in here. This does not smell good at all!

Taste - Everything that was bad about the smell is not much better in the flavor. Cooked Sweet Corn, cereal grains, and rubbing alcohol. It's like they took Bud Light and added some Everclear to it.

Mouthfeel - This beer is super-carbonated, but at least it's crisp feeling....not that it helps any! Also, I'm getting a headache from this thing, and I'm not even done with it yet

Overall - This is an insult to the word "beer". You see.... beer should be a wonderful thing, not an ugly abomination like this. I'm going to sum it up in one phrase directed at Anheuser-Busch "This beer is bad and you should feel bad!"

1.91/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Snappy blue bottle. Pours clear pale yellow with a fizzy finger of foam that persists. Smell is breads and grains. Taste reminded me immedately of a sort of lightweight champale. Maybe a low sugar moscato. I only get the faintest hint of 'beer' taste. It's mildly sweet, fizzy, grainy. You can detect the bud light family genes as well. We worked our way through half a twelve pack. After drinking several from the bottle, one from a glass, my brother Chris added half a bottle to some orange juice and stated that it made a passably decent mimosa. I'm sure people that dislike the beer flavor of beer will really go for Platinum.

2.8/5  rDev +23.3%

Remarkable. This has got to be the most flavorless beer I've ever experienced. The faintest bit of sweet corn and a touch of alcohol and that's it.
However, I would label this beer a resounding success in that I believe this is exactly what AB was trying to produce. Truly a beer for people who don't like the taste of beer.
I can't say it's not drinkable either. It's highly drinkable because there's just not anything there to dislike flavor-wise.
A cold one on a hot day would be fine, but I like the taste of beer and therefore would pass on this.

3.11/5  rDev +37%

This particular brew is uneventful. Slightly sweeter mouthfeel than the original Bud Light, and has a sharper acidity. It is not a bad beer, but the smell is reminiscent of bad, stale bread. I would try it once to get it out of your system, then to other brews it is...

1.5/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance: Thin white foam dissapates quickly ou of the bottle. Leaves a few trace elements of residual foam on he surface, looks more like an oil slick than lacing. Hyper carbonated. Medium yellow, crystal clear body - looks like concentrated urine (the dehydrated type).

Smell: Slightly stronger smell (with the same profile) as Bud Light. Odor of earthy-wheaty maybe rice(y) grains with definite strong, malty overtones (like malt liquor).

Taste: Slightly, malty sweet on the front end. Tastes like a cross between the dry, acrid taste of Bud Light and Mickeys. Hrrrggh... Kinda throws me off.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Slightly heavier than a regular bud with a sort of buttery smoothness.

I would say its not an improvement over Bud Light but its definitely stronger. I'll be enjoying that later tonight at Lazer Tag.

2.49/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Very pale and clear golden color with a thin white head that recedes pretty quickly.

S: Kind of gross. Nothing but sweet malt and grain. Very malt liquor-ish.

T: Again, the sweetness is a bit much with nothing else in there to stand up to it. Some boiled corn, grain and bready yeast on the finish that grows as it warms. This is far from being the worst thing out there, but it's still not good.

2.25/5  rDev -0.9%

A-Pours golden and clear. Slight head with not much lacing.

S-Smells like a boozier BL. Grains and a lack of other smells. Just that unmistakble BL smell but more intense.

T-Bud Light with more intensity. Boozier. Grainier. Still light andwatery. Would have expected it be grosser. It is gross but not as gross as I was expecting it to be.

M-Light still. Bubbly. A bit boozy. Watery. Still has a light fee.

O/D-Thought it would be worse but it still blew.

2.38/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance: Pours out a clear, yellow body with a small, fizzly, white head that doesn't stick around for long. A few trails of effervescence fail to support the head.

Smell: Just a small sniff of husky bland barley and booze.

Taste: Faintly grainy with a scant cereal sweetness. A little booze. It's akin to a baby malt liquor. Sweetish, lightly husky, lightly astringent finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Overall: It's bad when a beer makes you want a Bud Light.

2.25/5  rDev -0.9%

Anheuser-Bush sure can market a product! This beer accomplishes the goal of what I believe many of the drinkers who buy this product want to accomplish, get a buzz faster. I was suckered into purchasing this beer from the marketing campaign and the electric blue bottle. This beer tastes much like its Bud Light roots a rice/corn blended taste with an almost malt-liquor mouth feel. Many people who enjoy Bud Light will probably enjoy this as well.

3.31/5  rDev +45.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle into SA perfect pint.

A: Pours an extremely clear, pale yellow hue with a humungous, billowing, pillowy bright white head that slowly fizzed away into a faint scum. Sparse soapy lace.
S: Not much. I get a hint of some yeast and peppery spice. Very light.
T: Sweet and doughy notes of lightly bready malt and a hint of peppery, spicy, hops and lager yeast. Not much to the taste but it seems sweeter and breadier than normal BL.
M: Body is fuller than regular BL and the mouthfeel is less watery. Carbonation is definitely fuller as well although I would say its fuller when drinking straight out of the bottle than poured into the glass.
O: I find Coors to be better than Budweiser in general because I get a nasty aftertaste in AB products. This however, was actually quite clean and crisp. Given the choice, this trumps regular BL. Pretty drinkable actually, and not terrible as it warms.

1.97/5  rDev -13.2%

pours out of the blue bottle a pale straw yellow colour with a quickly dissipating snow white head leaving no lace. corny, cereal aroma...a bit of a highly attentuated malt liquor aroma. the taste is also reminiscent of malt liquor...sweet adjunct taste, sort of unpleasant actually. i like the occasional malt liquor, but mostly stick with miller products as A-B varieties just mostly taste bad to me. and this one is really no different. shallow body and a semi-cloying, carbonated mouthfeel. drinakability really isn't that good either. i drank this after a long walk when i knew i would be thirsty, and it did not hit the spot, as say, regular Budweiser often does for me.

overall a disappointment, and i wasn't expecting much. i hope my wife wants to drink the rest of six pack.

2.06/5  rDev -9.3%

Felt bad to ask for a glass. So I didn't. It was free, thanks Valencio.

Smelled like apple and wet cardboard. Soggy grains, wet cereal.
Tasted similar, more apple and soggy graininess. It has a touch more malt flavor than standard issue Bud Light. Mild taste, flaccid feel, utterly dull and insipid flavor wise. Biting astringent carbonation, watery aftertaste. Pretty much bullshit any way you slice it... whee, liquid garbage.

1.53/5  rDev -32.6%

Really not much to say that I'm sure hasn't been said already. No real appearance to speak of. Not really any smell or taste that I'm guessing was the intention. Overall really just a alcohol delivery device. And I'm my opinion not a very good one. Bourbon works faster and taste better in my opinion.

1.3/5  rDev -42.7%

Generally, I go through and do a pretty detailed job on my beer reviews. To me, beer reviewing is as much art as science, and I take a lot of pride in my reviews. I take notes, I do my homework on the styles, I really enjoy tasting, drinking, and reviewing beer.

That beng said, I am not going to waste a lot of energy on this review. I try to avoid reviewing too many macro products, although this is not my first, but I kind of think it's a little lame. Anyway...

This beer looks a lot like any other macro when you pour it. Straw colored, very clear, no real head or lacing. It eally doesn't smell like much at all. Maybe corn or some slight grains.

It pretty much tastes like a thicker, nastier version of Bud Light. Not a huge fan of either product. Highly carbonated finish.

Overall, this beer is not good. I got this beer from a party where the buyer (not me) didn't want it (I wonder why), so I took it home. Six free beers, why not? For the price I have seen this selling for, no way. If I'm going macro, give me Busch Light, Coors, or Natty.

1.06/5  rDev -53.3%

I picked up a 12 pack in bottles because I was curious about Bud coming out with a 6% abv AND they offered a $4.00 rebate. I thought, I'll give it try for $8.00 since it's the holidays and I like to keep a few lite fizzy beers on hand for my family. In a word...terrible. It has no smell, taste, mouthfeel, lacing or head. I can honestly say that I would never recommend this beer to anyone.

2.22/5  rDev -2.2%

12 Ounce blue bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Light yellow in color with a white head that disappears really fast

Smell: It has a little bit of an odd, almost hard cider, type smell to it. Being that it is not a hard cider it seems a little strange, but it may be just an alcohol scent more then anything.

Taste: There is an initial taste that is almost alcohol type taste that fades fairly quick leaving little else. There is a little bit of a sweetness that might be described as more of a corn sweetness more then anything.

Note: As far as macro beers go, I actually do like Bud products. I am glad I tried this but it probably would not be something I would get again. If I had a choice between this and Bud Light I would take the regular Bud Light.

1.03/5  rDev -54.6%

Wow, just wow! Let's take a bad product increase the strength but make it taste worse. I think they've done that. It was fizzy, yellow and clear. Smells like....nothing. Corn, maybe? It tasted like corn and water. Mouthfeel is fizzy and highly carbonated. Overall, this is just as bad if not worse than Bud Light. Simply amazing.

2.19/5  rDev -3.5%

Got this as an extra in a trade with youradhere. Thanks Jim! I think...

12oz bottle.

A- Pours a crystal clear light golden color with a sudsy white foam that fizzles away to a ring.

S- There is almost zero aroma to this beer. I think I can pick out a faint grain smell with some seltzer water. Not much else going on.

T- Mostly sweetness in the taste with a touch of rice and cereal grain. Enough alcohol in the finish to notice.

M- Light bodied with moderate carbonation.

O- I've certainly had worse beers but I won't have this one again any time soon. Thanks to my trading partner I won't have to waste money on my own 6pk.

1.98/5  rDev -12.8%

Appearance: Foamy, flat malt liquor. Kind of soapy looking.

Smell: Skunky malt liquor. The closest thing to King Cobra I've smelled.

Taste/Mouthfeel: I would rank this lower, but I walked around the Vegas Strip with this stuff, so it had that sort of appeal. Roasted cereal grain with some vinegary qualities. Felt decently carbonated at first, but went real flat and warm quickly.

Overall Drinkability: Pretty awful, but it is a novelty. Not worth it though.

1.92/5  rDev -15.4%

Just bought my first pack of this. The 6.0% alcohol caught my attention on the commercials but overall this beer is pretty disappointing. Less taste than Bud Light but more alcohol... interesting. You can really taste the booze in this, it's almost like a weak mixed drink. No real beer taste tho. Disappointing.

1.45/5  rDev -36.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Bottle (2012)

Big thanks to Alucard4 for the gift!

A very light straw color. No head, even after an incredibly aggressive pour. Leaves the glass nearly clean.

Very little aroma whatsoever. Smells a bit like bread or corn but that might be my imagination. There certainly isn't much.

The taste follows the nose which means there isn't much here at all. No bitterness, very little malt, and corn. This is awful.

The mouthfeel is similar to water.

Worse than Bud Light. Better than Bud Light Chelada. There you have it.

2.45/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

A: A crystal clear pale straw color with a fizzy white head.

S: Sweet grain/rice/corn aromas with a touch of earthy hop.

T: A big sweet grainy corn/rice flavor with a tiny bit of hop in the finish.

M: soda

O: Well, it's better than plain Bud Light. It's got that going for it...which is nice.

1.75/5  rDev -22.9%

A half finger head forms. The smell is of barely. Taste is sweeter than bud light with a less bitter aftertaste.The beer tastes and looks watered down but really its just lack of hop flavoring. Far more watered down than its non-light version just like bud light.

1.95/5  rDev -14.1%

12 oz. cobalt blue bottle.

Exceedingly clear and clean light straw body. Small, thin, fizzy, eggshell white head. No lacing. Sweetish nose with notes of honey, corn Chex cereal, and a little singed caramel. Faint hop skunkiness.

Light malt sweetness up front. Some honey, but turns to sugar-dusted corn cereal pretty quick. Light graininess near the finish, along with a hint of ethanol and a blip of peppery hops. Light-bodied, with a fizzy, soda-y feel. Corny overall. I don't really understand why this beer exists (marketing and niche wise--light malt liquor might be a better "style"), and I also don't understand why anyone would try it again. Not terrible, but not good.

2.88/5  rDev +26.9%

Appearance - Light yellow, and a stark-white soapy that dissipates into a small ring.

Aroma - Sweet, adjuncts. A lot like Natural Ice, but much less pleasant.

Taste - Grains, a little alcohol, sweetness, a slight bit of barley malt, and lots of adjuncts.

Finish - Clean, crisp, refreshing, dry.

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch