Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Bud Light Platinum - Anheuser-Busch

Bud Light PlatinumBud Light Platinum

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Light Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: DarthKostrizer on 12-31-2011

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bud Light Platinum Alström Bros
Reviews: 314 | Hads: 1,725

Very light clear straw color, pours with almost no head, but does leave some lacing behind.

Smells slightly skunky, with some barley.

Taste is mainly barley, a little sweet. Really not too bad.

Light bodied, thin and watery, rather high carbonation.

Actually surprised it wasn't worse.

1.7/5  rDev -24.8%

It might just be me, but this beer has a smell and taste that reminds me ever so faintly of the way nail polish remover smells. I found it pretty undrinkable, and poured it down the drain.

2.57/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I really tried to judge this beer on its own merits and not as an AB product, but even in a blind taste test this would be awful. Appearance wise, it has the typical, inoffensive pale golden color of a light lager. The smell was somewhat sweet and malty, if very faintly so. The taste is what killed it for me. Light malt-liquour is what comes to mind. Sweet, cloying, yet watery; no dimension or complexity, not even a discernible taste of malts or hops. Over carbonated and thin. I realise that ajunct light lagers have their place in the market and some are even drinkable, but this is a truly awful beer that would appeal to NO ONE. The taste would be a turn off to most light beer drinkers, I would assume. If someone is looking for a higher ABV beer to get drunk on, but doesn't want to stray from the recognised Budweiser name, then I suppose that would be the only market buying this stuff repeatedly. As for me, one bottle was plenty enough, and a second tasting holds zero appeal at all.

1.66/5  rDev -26.5%

Poured from 12 oz. bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Pours your typical AAL clear pale golden, with a quickly disappearing white one-finger head. Zero lacing.

Smell: Corn, and a weird chemical smell.

Taste: Similar to the smell, but not as horrifying...but close. All you taste are adjuncts, alcohol, and metal. Oh and an overwhelming sweetness.

Mouthfeel: Light and crisp.

Overall: Not worth a try. Bud Light with more alcohol and sweetness. Ugh.

1.85/5  rDev -18.1%

Bud Light Platinum : Yes I give it a try to the Bud Light name.
So the look of it is really light. Nothing much to say about it. Very clear, light carbonation.
The smell of it? like a budweiser
The taste of it? Like my dishwasher with more sugar and more alcohol. Personally I drunk only 1 can and it was already enough. My head start to feel heavy. Very chemical beer.
So overall would I recommend it ? Fuck NO,

2.11/5  rDev -6.6%

First light beer review ever. Try anything once rule, plus the realization that as someone who thinks malt liquors are underrated I've already had at least somewhat favorable views of a couple A-B products, so here we are. Let's do this.

Deuce-deuce bottle fills mug very high very clear damn near white yellow. Super effervescent, head barely blinks. Very faint (as in "any closer and my nose would be *in* the beer") scent suggestive of apple, sweet corn, & cheap bubble gum. Not particularly appetizing, yet not as terrible as I expected. Actually smells better than King Cobra (which I've reconsidered upward as of late) despite being same ABV & brewer, which makes me wonder how they swung this strength without amping up smell. All that is left is to taste this...

Cracker-ish note comes in on top of what the very faint scent says, though the sweeter part comes through with surprising aggression for a light beer. It needs that though, as it goes down like soda water.

Honestly, if you want a cheap drink & are down with this level, I'd say opt for the Cobra. It may smell worse, but it tastes better & is usually cheaper (I paid 2.29 for this; Cobra is only 20 cents more around here for a 40). First light beer review? LAST light beer review.

1.58/5  rDev -30.1%

Poured from a pretty blue bottle, which successfully hides the "watered-down apple juice" look. It almost reminds me of apple wine mixed with carbonated water, a popular drink in Frankfurt, Germany. The complete lack of head completes the picture.

Typical macro-lager smell: corn, grains, and canned mushrooms. Nothing else to smell here, move along.

There is a slight hint of cheap beer up front, then a sweetness reminiscent of (again) apple juice, a split-second of slight bitterness, and then nothing. One of the most forgettable and un-beery taste profile's I've ever tried. But it lacks the urine-flavor many BMCs tend to have. That's good, right? Right?

I honestly can't stop comparing this to watered down apple juice. If someone told me that this was in fact 75% carbonated water and 25% apple juice, I'd believe it in a heartbeat.

Imagine Keystone Light, with a hint of apple juice and water from a can of canned corn. It's fizzy, forgettable, forthright fraudulent. This doesn't even go well with pizza.

3.32/5  rDev +46.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer really cannot be compared to a good craft beer. It is a light beer that has been jacked up to 6%. It is a perfect beer for a six pack that won't pack on 3 pounds in one post-work afternoon.
The look smell and taste are to be expected. It's a bud light with slightly more malt and an ever so slight hop characteristic. It is the perfect beer for a weekday afternoon. I'll save the la fin du monde for the weekends.

1.87/5  rDev -17.3%

12 oz bottle that was given to me by a bar owner which was given to him by his beer rep.

The beer poured a clear piss-yellow with pretty much no head to speak of, just a tiny ring of bubbles. A very sweet aroma with some grain. Sweet corn is the predominant taste with a slight grainy finish. There is also an artificial taste to the sweetness that I can't quite put my finger on. This beer is pretty carbonated as well.

I guess the beer is drinkable because it's pretty unoffensive, and by unoffensive I mean that there isn't much to it. It is basically a sweet carbonated water.

If you're out on the town and bro-ing it up, then I guess this stuff would be perfect. It goes down pretty easy and gets you drunk faster without having to pee as much as you would if you were drinking regular Bud Light. With enough of this beer, you'll be hitting on sorostitutes in no time at all!

2.88/5  rDev +27.4%

Appearance - Light yellow, and a stark-white soapy that dissipates into a small ring.

Aroma - Sweet, adjuncts. A lot like Natural Ice, but much less pleasant.

Taste - Grains, a little alcohol, sweetness, a slight bit of barley malt, and lots of adjuncts.

Finish - Clean, crisp, refreshing, dry.

1.61/5  rDev -28.8%

I bought a 6 pack and had them over a few days. They were born in Januaryof 2012.

Appearance: A pale gold or straw color. Poured into a pilsener glass and achieved about a finger of foam which quickly disappeared leaving no lacing. Fair carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass.

Smell: I am not being mean here. This smelled like detergent. Thought my glass may not have been rinsed completely but all six of them smelled the same.

Taste: There is very little taste. Slight hops but mostly nothing.

Mouthfeel: Thin. You can feel the alcohol on your tongue which at 6% you should. Finishes smooth and semi-dry.

Overall: This is disappointing. Even as a light lager this leaves a lot to be desired. There was a great deal of hype building up to this product being released but for me I won't be having this again. AB offers other light lagers that more pleasing than this one.

2.68/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle into pint glass.

A- The color is similar to piss on a somewhat well-hydrated day. A two inch white fizzy head similar to that of sprite or 7up lasted about a minute. Carbonation continued to bubble to the surface as the beer sat. Better looking than most adjunct garbage.

S- Smells of slightly sour dry grass/hay. Biscuity malts and bland adjuncts dominate with a bit of sweet corn and very little hop aroma.

T- Much sweeter tasting than a typical Budweiser. White bread with honey and a bit a caramel. Good maltiness. This actually tastes much better than the Coors Light I drank before.

M- Not thin! Lots of carbonation, as is the custom with American cheap lagers. Good body for a light beer.

O- Platinum far exceeds my expectations. That is not to say it is a great beer

3.85/5  rDev +70.4%

Poured into glass it looks like its counter parts, but very carbonated. Smell was like Bud but with a little bit more behind the smell maybe an extra sniff of hops, it taste pretty good to me it is very smooth and easy to drink. Overall I think its one of Anheuser-Busch's coolest creation lately I mean more alcohol than bud and less calories I mean can't go wrong there.

1.53/5  rDev -32.3%

Really not much to say that I'm sure hasn't been said already. No real appearance to speak of. Not really any smell or taste that I'm guessing was the intention. Overall really just a alcohol delivery device. And I'm my opinion not a very good one. Bourbon works faster and taste better in my opinion.

2.4/5  rDev +6.2%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Pours a transparent, third to fourth piss of the night yellow. It has a 1" dish soap white head. No lacing to speak of. The smell is corn, sweet. Just like original bud light. Taste ... Hmmm. Corn, sweet bread. Almost like those Hawaiian dinner rolls. Adequate carbonation. I can't really say that I prefer platinum over any of their other products. A little more alcohol and 8 less calories. I guess that's what makes this attractive to some. Glad I got it in a mix 6 and didn't have to buy 6 of these.

2.94/5  rDev +30.1%

Bud Light Platinum cannot be judged as a craft beer because it's not and it's not trying to be. What it is trying to be is a high alcohol content light American lager with mass appeal. In this, they have succeeded. It's a approachable beer that requires less work to get drunk (and I think that's the whole point). It has most of the distinguishing characteristics of regular Bud Light; refreshing smell, crystal clear and fizzy, faded gold color. The higher alcohol content is masked by a sweetness that is muted and vague but surprisingly pleasant. If I ever find myself at a frat party again, however unlikely that may be, I just might bring this one along.

1.91/5  rDev -15.5%

A- Pale yellow-clear with a large but thin head that goes away as coke does.

S- Like my college house after we had a kegger the night before, almost cider-ish but some bad grain in there too.

T- A little sweet and watery. Not much flavor at all, others say it has more flavor than normal BL but I would say it is considerably less. Not bad, but not really anything there.

M- Like carbonated water, no body and very crisp finish.

O- If I wanted to get hammered this would be easy to do it with. Has little flavor and is extremely easy to drink, however if I want to enjoy a cheap beer then this isn't it. This gimmick of a beer is definitely the 6% abv and that its "platinum".

1.52/5  rDev -32.7%

A: poured from a 12oz bottle to a frosty iced pint glass. It left about a 4" head that I had to scoop out to finish pouring. Kinda looks like carbonated urine.

S: bready, malty, alcohol, not much else here

T: breast malt that finishes with a hefty taste of alcohol. Taste like it smells, but not as bad as it looks

M: very high carbonation, clean and watered down

O: this is a terrible beer, it's not balanced at all. The only reason I grabbed it is because the gas station didn't have any good beer and figured I'd give it a shot...

1.06/5  rDev -53.1%

I picked up a 12 pack in bottles because I was curious about Bud coming out with a 6% abv AND they offered a $4.00 rebate. I thought, I'll give it try for $8.00 since it's the holidays and I like to keep a few lite fizzy beers on hand for my family. In a word...terrible. It has no smell, taste, mouthfeel, lacing or head. I can honestly say that I would never recommend this beer to anyone.

How this is only ranked one point higher than Miller Lite I'll never know. It has a lot more flavor than Miller Lite and the hint of sweetness is pretty nice.

2.26/5  rDev 0%

One finger head fades quickly. Almost totally clear yellow color. Appears very watered down. Smells like a cheap beer. Average taste. Goes down smooth but lacks any depth. Overall It's basically bud light with more alcohol in it. It tastes almost exactly the same. Good because of the extra alcohol but its still as watered down as every Budweiser beer ever.

2.03/5  rDev -10.2%

A go to if I want to get drunk, or have a quick couple of brews while watching sports on the couch.

I think Bud Light is a little better flavor-wise but Platinum has the higher ABV. Nothing wrong with drinking these, cheap and easy to drink. Take Bud Light over Corona or Heineken ten times out of ten.

1.57/5  rDev -30.5%

A - Drank directly out of the bottle, but from what I could gather by looking at it through the blue bottle (which is pretty cool, but doesn't make the beer any better), looks like the regular, run of the mill light beer.

S - Smells like beer. A little more beery than the usual light beer, but nothing special. Can't pick up on the "high ABV" this beer claims to have at all.

T - Bud Light. That is what this tastes like. Bud Light with a little more beer in it maybe...

M - Thought I was drinking water for a few moments. Has no carbonation really, and doesn't have that beer feel most beers have.

O - It's a good idea for people who like light beer and want to get drunk, but for those of us who actually have taste buds and a functioning brain, I'd definitely avoid this beer.

1.5/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

A Bottle poured into a mug, light yellow, small white head that leaves quickly, very little lacing.

S Bread, corn

T Corn, metallic, bland

M Carbonation, bland, watery, can feel the 6% alcohol in my mouth and not much else.

O Bought a sixer for 6.99 to give it a try, won't buy it again. It is too bland for my tastes. Would drink Bud Ice over this. The blue bottles are cool though.

3.35/5  rDev +48.2%

This is Bud Light with more alchol content...it is good and not much else to be said.

Definetly a good tailgate beer, and a great beer to have while working in the yard or while grilling out with your buddies.

I recommend it but beer snobs will more than likely diss it as it is not complex or a micro brew.

Bud Light Platinum from Anheuser-Busch