Shock Top Lemon Shandy - Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 03-23-2012

Our Lemon Shandy is a unique take on the classic Shandy that is distinctly Shock Top.

Brewed with two row and six row malted barley and five different types of hops, this Belgian-Style Wheat Ale is then combined with citrus peels, coriander, natural lemonade flavor and a hint of sugar for a subtle sweetness. The end result is an incredibly refreshing, crisp and smooth beer that hits the spot.
3.57/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Not really impressed by this. They play the lemon card a little too strongly and end up making this out to be more like a hard lemonade, both in flavor and feel.

3.77/5  rDev +36.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Honestly, if you want a beer, look elsewhere.

If you're looking for hard lemonade, get this instead.

Definitely would buy for a summer day in place of hard lemonade.

2.5/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Yellow hazy color, light mouthfeel, lemon smell, sweet taste like juice. Made more for wine cooler drinkers. Does not taste like beer at all. Came from a 12 pack variety. Good thing I didn't buy a 6-pack of just this one version, although so far the other flavors in the pack are not great either.

2.83/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Picked up a 12er of shock top banana, apple, lemon and Belgian white, let's give the lemon a whirl. Popping the top I get a sniff of lemon and adjunct malts. Pouring per the instructions, down the side of the glass until a 1/2 inch left then swirling and topping off, I get a cloudy bright yellow with a yow finger head. On the taste the brew is sweet up front with a transition to sweet and sour lemon with a hint of allspice and coriander. A refreshing summer beer, pairs well with 95 degrees in the shade. Not a bold flavor but not offensive.

2.39/5  rDev -13.7%

Is this Pine-Sol?

But seriously, this is a bad shandy. No lemonade sweetness, just tart lemon juice ruining an otherwise-okay wheat beer. Just not my thing.

3.25/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. this beer has a very generic lemonade flavor with some beer tossed in. I found it refreshing but not memorable.

3.5/5  rDev +26.4%

A lemon radler that tastes fine...nothing special but it isn't as bad as the beer nerds pretend.

I'm forced to write a review because I'm not as childish as most of the reviewers. Will I buy for consumption? had a sample at a beer festival...but...if you like radlers and/or something light and refreshing on a hot summer day...this will work.

3.58/5  rDev +29.2%

Poured from a 16 ounce can into a Shaker pint glass, there is no "best by" date that I could find.

APPEARANCE: pours a cloudy, golden color with one-finger white head that quickly dissipated until a ring of small bubbles remained around the glass, almost no lacing, medium carbonation.

SMELL: faint lemon, bread.

TASTE: there is the taste of lemon and not much else, it tastes more like a soft drink to me, the lemon taste is refreshing and is not overdone.

PALATE: light body and medium carbonation.

OVERALL: this is not unlike a lemon radler, it's good but nothing special, it tastes like a soft drink and would appeal to persons who do not normally like beer, it's a "safe" Fourth of July beer you could serve to a wide variety of guests and no one would complain.

3.52/5  rDev +27.1%

I enjoyed the Lemon Shandy, I read a lot about it ranging from it tastes like soap to a good lemon beer, and I thought it was the latter, nothing amazing, but definitely something I'd enjoy to get a 12 pack of and drink casually throughout the week as I work on something at home or relax. It is a decent beer.

3.09/5  rDev +11.6%

On tap.
Looks as expected, if with a rather weak head. Simple lemony flavor with only faint bready malts.
Light body with medium carbonation.
Adequately refreshing and good sweet/bitter balance but lacking in flavor beyond lemon juice.

2.69/5  rDev -2.9%

Lemon Shandy pours a hazy golden color with a small swirling head. There is a weak soapy aroma. The taste is soapy, but weak lemonade flavors come through near the end. Flat body, weaker flavors. Overall the soapy flavors are pretty bad, the brief hints of lemonade that comes through are nice.

Pours a clouded pale yellow with a bubbly head that recedes immediately.

Smell has nothing really that I can pick up. Hint of lemon? Stretching it a bit.

This is extremely sweet, with a fairly strong lemon taste. Taste more like lemon flavored soda than anything else. It's not terrible, but sweetness may be cloying for some.

Light bodied, crisp and potentially refreshing.

2.75/5  rDev -0.7%

I wouldn't call this a beer to be honest. I think the lemon taste is good but was left wondering where the beer taste went. I would drink it again though.

2.96/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Opaque light gold, similar to lemonade. Thin head that quickly disappears.

Smell: Not much, the smell is lost.

Taste: Saves the beer a bit. Sweet, lemonade. Not much "beer".

Mouthfeel: Smooth, well carbonated.

Overall: I am a fan of Shandys and this one fits the mold. Smooth and sweet. But not much "beer" and almost no aroma.

3.07/5  rDev +10.8%

One of the many Summer Beer that I got to try . And today in Montreal it was 30 degree Celsius so lets give a try to the Shock Top Lemon Shandy .
The beer looks like the Hoegaarden inside the glasse. A very Yellow color with small bubbles going up.
The smell is all about citrus lemonade, not too strong but just right enough.
Now for the taste, its like drinking a lemonade, the taste of the beer is really light. It's dominate by that lemonade citrus taste.
The mouthfeel: well, it remind me of the Smirnoff Ice with less sugar and a beer taste.
So would I recommend it ? I am mixed about it but I will say..Yes BUT, only for Summer (around July or August), because I would't buy this beer during winter. Overall it's a much better beer than those Bud Light lime and all the lime beer in general. If you wanna have a lemonade, lime citrus beer, take this one no doubt about it, but if you wanna have a beer with some guts, this one is definitely not for you.

2.75/5  rDev -0.7%

My local, frequent in-person trader, tone77, recently dropped this off for me in his latest batch of beer in support of The CANQuest ™. I am always anxious to see what he has for me when he stops by! Lemon Shandy in a CAN? I am Shocked, but I am also on Top of it!

From the CAN: “Belgian-style Wheat Beer brewed with spices with natural lemonade flavor added”.

The Crack! was loud and so I celebrated with an inverted Glug. It produced two-plus fingers of fizzy, bone-white head with extremely limited retention, quickly falling away to wisps. Color was a hazy Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4). Nose smelled kind of artificial, like that Country Time Lemonade that we sold on the street corner as kids. Mouthfeel was thin, watery and not even all that well carbonated. The taste was immediately tart, followed by a wash of sugary sweetness. Oof. It did not taste awful, per se, but it was not overly pleasant, either. I am sure that I am not their target audience, but its inherent intense sweetness makes me question the age group who would drink this. Finish was sweet, overall, with even the tart flavor beginning to fade as I drank it. Again, not bad, per se, just awfully ho hum.

1.5/5  rDev -45.8%

Update: It is my understanding that the morons at Anheuser-Busch are considering marketing this dreck here in Canada as craft beer. Lie to us some more. We love it. Jerks.

3.65/5  rDev +31.8%

Serving Style : 12 oz glass bottle. I was hesitant to try this because of the rating. I'm glad I did.

Appearance : n/a, in bottle

Smell (3) : Lemonheads candy, wheat, some barley malt. A good smell, at least for a shandy.

Taste (4) : Sweet but not too sweet, a very nice balance of belgian wheat and lemonade. A nice peppery finish. I like this beer, a lot.

Mouthfeel (4) - carbonated and crisp to begin with, the lemonade smoothness enters, and it ends crisp, dry. Smooth drinker.

Overall (3.65) - In my book, this beer is a winner. I'm bumping the overall score up because it really is inoffensive and refreshing. It incorporates the wheat and the lemonade and doesn't overdo it on either, and manages to keep them both in check while complementing each other. Leinenkugels' in comparison is a bit too harsh, and while still decent, is not as refreshing and pure as this brew. Perhaps it's the Belgian wheat...

2.38/5  rDev -14.1%

A pretty bland shandy. The appearance was a very light yellow with a fizzy head. The smell was mostly of the lemonade. The taste was very tart and seemed like this was much more lemonade than beer. Wasn't very blown away by the flavors as everything was overrun with the lemonade. Mouthfeel was light but nice for the summer. Overall I'd say I'd be fine with it if I saw it at a picnic but I'm not going to search it out.

1.5/5  rDev -45.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

Pours a predominantly clear light straw color, with a thin white head that dissipates rapidly. Lots of carbonation, accompanied by an audible fizzy hiss.
Aromas are of fake lemon and wet cardboard.
Palate is light and crisp. Tastes are of citrus lemon, and ginger ale.
Overall, the list of ingredients is rather off putting. The first two ingredients to this thing, which the can claims is a "Belgian Style White Beer" is "beer" and "ale". Wait how is beer an ingredient in beer? Next on the ingredient list is sugar, and a long list of words like "flavour" and "modified". No thanks.

3.24/5  rDev +17%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Shock Top Lemon Shandy has a thin, white head, a cloudy, yellow-gold appearance, some bubble streams, and no lacing left behind. The aroma is of light wheat bread, mainly, with a background lemony note. Taste is of a stronger lemonade and sugary aspect, with a noticeable and pleasant wheat bread component. Mouthfeel is on the light side, and Shock Top Lemon Shandy finishes somewhat tart and very easy drinking.

2.73/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I've been nothing but pleasantly surprised with the two Shock Top offerings I've tried, the Belgian White and the Honeycrisp Apple Wheat, respectively. From a beer that was made by Anheuser-Busch solely to combat Miller's success with the aromatic and flavorful Blue Moon, it was initially hard to suspect much. However, I find both the aforementioned projects to be winning beers in my book - they're more than drinkable but thoroughly enjoyable and hearty.

Shock Top Lemon Shandy, however, is the first disappointment in their catalog in my book. I was curious as to why we weren't selling much of it, seeing as we couldn't keep our Leinenkugel Summer Shandy and Shandy packs on the shelf, as well as our limited number of cases of Amstel Radler. The answer is simple - even by the basic qualities of lemon/summer shandies, Shock Top's offering falls short. It almost feels like the beer itself forgot it was supposed to be a shandy, as the effect of drinking it and tasting it, at first, feels like a regular American lager before descending into a tardy, bland citrus flavor that brings little to the table.

There isn't anything offensive about this beer, but just the taste and presentation feel rushed and ill-prepared, almost as if it was already April in a certain year and the company needed to begin shipping Shock Top Lemon Shandy cases out in just a matter of days and needed to rustle up something quick in order to make a tolerable and acceptable brew.

There's not much to hate, but there's not much to remember either - take that as you may.

2.3/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

A: slight haze; light straw in color; 1 finger white head that receded quickly; no lacing;

S: artificial lemon;

T: follows the nose; sweet - no tartness;

M: light bodied; moderate carbonation:

O: they will happily sell a million cases of this to a bunch of people who don't know better;

4.5/5  rDev +62.5%

I had this one on draft and it was delicious. It tastes like a really good wheat beer that someone dropped lemon drops into. Not overly sweet though, mainly the taste without all the sugar. Very tasty.

Will seek out and purchase again. Although only on tap most likely, not bottle.

2.91/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Can: Poured a light yellow color ale with a light bubbly head with average retention. Aroma of lemon syrup with quite a bit of residual sugars is closer to juice than beer. Taste is a mix between some wheat malt notes with quite a bit of residual sugar and some lemon syrup notes. Body is light with good carbonation. Easy drinking wheat beer with a tad too much sugar thought.

Shock Top Lemon Shandy from Anheuser-Busch