Shock Top Lemon Shandy - Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Bitterbill on 03-23-2012

Our Lemon Shandy is a unique take on the classic Shandy that is distinctly Shock Top.

Brewed with two row and six row malted barley and five different types of hops, this Belgian-Style Wheat Ale is then combined with citrus peels, coriander, natural lemonade flavor and a hint of sugar for a subtle sweetness. The end result is an incredibly refreshing, crisp and smooth beer that hits the spot.
Ratings: 642 | Reviews: 103
3.25/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass. this beer has a very generic lemonade flavor with some beer tossed in. I found it refreshing but not memorable.

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

Tasty and refreshing summer beer, but a little on the sweet side.

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

A lemon radler that tastes fine...nothing special but it isn't as bad as the beer nerds pretend.

I'm forced to write a review because I'm not as childish as most of the reviewers. Will I buy for consumption?...no...I had a sample at a beer festival...but...if you like radlers and/or something light and refreshing on a hot summer day...this will work.

3.58/5  rDev +27.4%

Poured from a 16 ounce can into a Shaker pint glass, there is no "best by" date that I could find.

APPEARANCE: pours a cloudy, golden color with one-finger white head that quickly dissipated until a ring of small bubbles remained around the glass, almost no lacing, medium carbonation.

SMELL: faint lemon, bread.

TASTE: there is the taste of lemon and not much else, it tastes more like a soft drink to me, the lemon taste is refreshing and is not overdone.

PALATE: light body and medium carbonation.

OVERALL: this is not unlike a lemon radler, it's good but nothing special, it tastes like a soft drink and would appeal to persons who do not normally like beer, it's a "safe" Fourth of July beer you could serve to a wide variety of guests and no one would complain.

2.65/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Not the worse artificially flavored lemon shandy I've had, but it's so sugary and sweet it is hard to even acknowledge it as a brew.

2.75/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Glad I wasn't drinking pledge.

1.99/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

I pity the poor poor souls who suffer the artificial lemonade flavors in this poorly made beer.

3.52/5  rDev +25.3%

I enjoyed the Lemon Shandy, I read a lot about it ranging from it tastes like soap to a good lemon beer, and I thought it was the latter, nothing amazing, but definitely something I'd enjoy to get a 12 pack of and drink casually throughout the week as I work on something at home or relax. It is a decent beer.

4.1/5  rDev +45.9%

A beer that tastes pretty damn good after running a Tough Mudder.

4.66/5  rDev +65.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Narragansett Del's was my favorite Lemon Shandy until I tried this.

1.62/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Smells like a lemon armpit, taste like one too.

Okay I guess if you don't care what you're drinking and want something with a light lemon taste.

4.5/5  rDev +60.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Nice lemon aroma and flavor. Goes down smoothly after a 8k run

4.73/5  rDev +68.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is so smooth and tastes great on a warm summer day

3.74/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Great lemon flavor on a hot summer day.

3.09/5  rDev +10%

On tap.
Looks as expected, if with a rather weak head. Simple lemony flavor with only faint bready malts.
Light body with medium carbonation.
Adequately refreshing and good sweet/bitter balance but lacking in flavor beyond lemon juice.

2.69/5  rDev -4.3%

Lemon Shandy pours a hazy golden color with a small swirling head. There is a weak soapy aroma. The taste is soapy, but weak lemonade flavors come through near the end. Flat body, weaker flavors. Overall the soapy flavors are pretty bad, the brief hints of lemonade that comes through are nice.

3.81/5  rDev +35.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I like it. Good beer

Pours a clouded pale yellow with a bubbly head that recedes immediately.

Smell has nothing really that I can pick up. Hint of lemon? Stretching it a bit.

This is extremely sweet, with a fairly strong lemon taste. Taste more like lemon flavored soda than anything else. It's not terrible, but sweetness may be cloying for some.

Light bodied, crisp and potentially refreshing.

3.5/5  rDev +24.6%

Not as good as summer shandy but drinkable! A little too lemony for me!

2.75/5  rDev -2.1%

I wouldn't call this a beer to be honest. I think the lemon taste is good but was left wondering where the beer taste went. I would drink it again though.

2.96/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Opaque light gold, similar to lemonade. Thin head that quickly disappears.

Smell: Not much, the smell is lost.

Taste: Saves the beer a bit. Sweet, lemonade. Not much "beer".

Mouthfeel: Smooth, well carbonated.

Overall: I am a fan of Shandys and this one fits the mold. Smooth and sweet. But not much "beer" and almost no aroma.

3.07/5  rDev +9.3%

One of the many Summer Beer that I got to try . And today in Montreal it was 30 degree Celsius so lets give a try to the Shock Top Lemon Shandy .
The beer looks like the Hoegaarden inside the glasse. A very Yellow color with small bubbles going up.
The smell is all about citrus lemonade, not too strong but just right enough.
Now for the taste, its like drinking a lemonade, the taste of the beer is really light. It's dominate by that lemonade citrus taste.
The mouthfeel: well, it remind me of the Smirnoff Ice with less sugar and a beer taste.
So would I recommend it ? I am mixed about it but I will say..Yes BUT, only for Summer (around July or August), because I would't buy this beer during winter. Overall it's a much better beer than those Bud Light lime and all the lime beer in general. If you wanna have a lemonade, lime citrus beer, take this one no doubt about it, but if you wanna have a beer with some guts, this one is definitely not for you.

2.75/5  rDev -2.1%

My local, frequent in-person trader, tone77, recently dropped this off for me in his latest batch of beer in support of The CANQuest ™. I am always anxious to see what he has for me when he stops by! Lemon Shandy in a CAN? I am Shocked, but I am also on Top of it!

From the CAN: “Belgian-style Wheat Beer brewed with spices with natural lemonade flavor added”.

The Crack! was loud and so I celebrated with an inverted Glug. It produced two-plus fingers of fizzy, bone-white head with extremely limited retention, quickly falling away to wisps. Color was a hazy Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4). Nose smelled kind of artificial, like that Country Time Lemonade that we sold on the street corner as kids. Mouthfeel was thin, watery and not even all that well carbonated. The taste was immediately tart, followed by a wash of sugary sweetness. Oof. It did not taste awful, per se, but it was not overly pleasant, either. I am sure that I am not their target audience, but its inherent intense sweetness makes me question the age group who would drink this. Finish was sweet, overall, with even the tart flavor beginning to fade as I drank it. Again, not bad, per se, just awfully ho hum.

1.5/5  rDev -46.6%

Bland.

Update: It is my understanding that the morons at Anheuser-Busch are considering marketing this dreck here in Canada as craft beer. Lie to us some more. We love it. Jerks.

3.65/5  rDev +29.9%

Serving Style : 12 oz glass bottle. I was hesitant to try this because of the rating. I'm glad I did.

Appearance : n/a, in bottle

Smell (3) : Lemonheads candy, wheat, some barley malt. A good smell, at least for a shandy.

Taste (4) : Sweet but not too sweet, a very nice balance of belgian wheat and lemonade. A nice peppery finish. I like this beer, a lot.

Mouthfeel (4) - carbonated and crisp to begin with, the lemonade smoothness enters, and it ends crisp, dry. Smooth drinker.

Overall (3.65) - In my book, this beer is a winner. I'm bumping the overall score up because it really is inoffensive and refreshing. It incorporates the wheat and the lemonade and doesn't overdo it on either, and manages to keep them both in check while complementing each other. Leinenkugels' in comparison is a bit too harsh, and while still decent, is not as refreshing and pure as this brew. Perhaps it's the Belgian wheat...

Shock Top Lemon Shandy from Anheuser-Busch