Rascal's Wild Red - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 04-08-2012)

this is just awful. the bottle says lager, but they lie. this "beer" is a sham. avoid at all costs.

I was looking for something new and flavorful at my local liquor store. I settled on this because I hadnt really heard of it before.

I cracked open the bottle and was assaulted by the aroma of raspberries and sweetness. Didnt think much of it. Ive had beers before that had strong smells that I very much enjoy. If I only knew...

The first sip. Oh boy, where to begin. At fist it tasted like a wine cooler. Then the alcohol flavor kicked in. And by kicked in I mean kicked me in the face. If malt liquor and Smirnoff ice had crazy drunken sex, this would be the bastard offspring it produced.

I assumed that it may just be the way i was drinking it. Maybe it just needed to let the smell take over. I poured the bottle into a goblet and holy crap. Its pop. its a damn pop labeled lager. It looks like pop, it pours like pop. There was very briefly a pinkish head. What was left in my glass was nothing more than soda water with 8% alcohol mixed in like the marketing team had no better ideas on how to sell this crap other than making it into train wine.

I ignored all the signs and my own conscience and took a long, slow drink. Ever have your mouth washed out with flavored soap? Did the fact that it was flavored make it any better? Didnt think so...

Just dont. Dont buy this. This is not a beer, it is liquid lies.

1.11/5  rDev -55.8%

Doesn't look like a beer. Yeah, it's liquid and has a head, but that's it. It's a reddish burgundy pour. It's got a large pink head. Mix cranberry juice and 7Up, same thing.

Offensive smell of raspberry juice...from across the room. I give it an extra half point because I like raspberries.

It's terrible. Tastes like an extremely bad kriek mixed with too much raspberry juice.

It was actually painful going down. Due to overwhelming carbonation, it actually burns the whole way. Far too sweet.

Overall, it's shit. It's really not a beer. While I actually kind of liked Wild Blue, this was a disaster from start to end.

1.15/5  rDev -54.2%

I'm only rating this so poorly because I'm judging it as a beer.

It's not a beer. A malt beverage, perhaps (think "Zima"), but there is no way that this should have "lager" on the label.

As a "wine cooler" type of beverage, it's not bad. It's not overly sweet, although it's more of a chemical raspberry than a "fresh fruit" taste.

Full disclosure, I also hate that AB/Inbev caught me with this "craft beer trap". If I knew it was AB, I wouldn't have bought it. And since it is AB, I seriously overpaid for it. Live and learn.

3 stars as a wine cooler - 0 stars as a beer.

1.36/5  rDev -45.8%

APPEARANCE: Sickly fizzy clear light pink. Looks like a wine cooler.

SMELL: Rasperries and stale, left-in-the-glass-overnight merlot.

TASTE: Raspberry flavoring leaving a slick coating on the palate. Wine cooler like taste, this should be called " Sea Breeze Raspberry Mixer". Like in medieval times, maybe urine could have been added to balance. It's not far off in its current state.

FEEL: Overcarbonated sweet cloying mess that really sticks with you. Oof!

OVERALL: Fizzy fruity berry. Not beer really a shame it boasts itself as one. Money was never exchanged but trust me I paid for it.

1.76/5  rDev -29.9%

Appearance - Pours a clouded pink strawberry color, a soda pop crown on top that does not last long.

Aroma - Raspberry syrup,giving the soda a fresh fruity...oh, this is beer...never mind.

Taste - Budweiser and raspberry syrup. At the Cincy Beerfest a few years ago, I had this left hand milk stout on cask, sitting on Coffee Emporium coffee beans, poured over a scoop of Graeters vanilla bean ice cream. Incredible blend of flavors that the sweetness of the ice cream really worked great with. Looking forward to February and hoping to find that again. If you're in town, check it out!

Back to this review... Sweet raspberry flavor masking a mostly non-descript lager, as designed I suspect. This sweet tooth has no problem dispatching the bottle, but it is alcopop, and an 8% alcopop at that. An odd butteriness at times, but mostly just a lot of sugariness.

Mouthfeel - slick, carbonation is a little muted.

Overall - one and done. I try to limit my alcohol consumption more these days, and this I would consider a poor use of my allotment.

1.8/5  rDev -28.3%

12 oz twist-off bottle poured into a pilsner glass.
8% ABV, 12086 printed on label.
(Reviewed 06-24-12 - from notes)

A - Deep ruby pink in hue, the color is so rich it's frightening. A fleeting light pastel head drapes a few fingers of lace on the glass before collapsing to next to nothing.

S - Thick raspberry fruit puree is reminiscent of sugar-laden IHOP syrup, though not as inciting. Grainy pale malt barely makes it through but it still features a crisp lager finish. While it smells artificial, I can't bring myself to say it's offending but maybe that's my love affair with raspberries coming out.

T - Abundantly sweet, cloying, completely fake raspberry flavor overlaps the generous helping of cheap malt liquor flavor behind. It's not pleasant at all.

M - The 8% doesn't hide well here. You can just feel it's warmth on retronasal breathing. Thick and cloyingly sweet with a moderate carbonation level and grossly grainy finishing.

O - A poor substitute for a wine cooler, Rascal's Wild Red is sickly sweet to the point a diabetes warning should be included on packaging. It's like mixing IHOP syrup with half a can of Steele Reserve. Avoid this one.

Rascal's Wild Red from Anheuser-Busch