Rascal's Wild Red - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: TMoney2591 on 04-08-2012)

Carl_R, Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Dan_Man, Aug 04, 2013
1.25/5  rDev -50.4%

Jackal, Jul 26, 2013
2.75/5  rDev +9.1%

Eye: Opaque red color, deep red like kinda a ruby with hints of orange in there kinda color. Hard to describe...but for a lager...so the label describes...but wait-the side of the label says "Flavored Ale"...so ale or lager? but still I would expect this to be clear coming from AB-InBev. Head forms, but falls almost immediately leaving none of the pink head that formed when pouring.

Nose: Big Raspberry aroma, kinda like raspberry syrup that you'd use for pancakes. Sweet smelling aroma. Good for cooking if you are looking to make a sweet reduction sauce that tastes of raspberries. Not much beer here, smells more like a Smirnoff deal, or a Lindeman's, really fruity with no beer aroma...and thats ok.

Tongue: Big on the raspberry, more like Lindeman's than anything else. Sugary sweet, and that is about all. Good for a hot afternoon when you are craving sugar or good to go with pancakes or as a reduction sauce. As for drinking I'd liken it to Mike's Hard Lemonade or somesuch. Nothing much of beer here. Tastes more like a malternative. For what it is, it is ok, but it should be under a malternative category....that is what it tastes like. Medium-heavy on the palate...Lots of sugar here to sweeten it up. Carbonation is high to offset that. Overall, for what it is, feels ok on the palate.

Drinkability: If I'm feeling cheap sure I'll buy this again instead of a $25 Framboise liquor. Nothing special though. I've tons of other fruit beers I'd go for over this one...it's cheap and being such is cheap in flavor. But for a reduction sauce and cooking, if it calls for raspberry ale, I think this would do nicely.

becktone, Jul 21, 2013

Kahlstrom, Jul 16, 2013
3.03/5  rDev +20.2%

Appearance - Probably the best part of this beer is the color. It is exactly what a raspberry lager should look like: ruby red and fairly clear.

Smell - Definitely a raspberry smell, but a little bit artificial tasting.

Taste - Again, a raspberry taste, but a little bit off. It's sickly sweet. It is a little bit of misleading advertisement for this to be called a lager.

Mouthfeel - A little inappropriately viscous.

Overall - Disappointing. More of a raspberry malt beverage than lager.

ghengisflan, Jul 07, 2013

spikechiquet, Jul 07, 2013

Miami66, Jul 05, 2013

bvlaminck, Jun 27, 2013

deadliest, Jun 16, 2013

dsnyder61, Jun 11, 2013
2.79/5  rDev +10.7%

Really not "that" bad.... it's definitely not a beer. More of s wine cooler or sparkling champagne... but without the pzzaz or actual goodness of those drinks. The Bad.... it was a little overpowering with raspberry flavor. Alcohol was too noticeable in the palate and the actual beer part of it was not good.... the good.... it looked good... and smelled pretty good. This is something you give to fruit beer lovers to show them how to fruit beer is overdone. Other than that it's too pricy to buy to just get buzzed on your better off drinking rubbing alcohol.... Lol that was a joke. But if you have someone that is more into wines and zimas and scmirnoffs, give it a try.

pjkelley82, Jun 11, 2013
2.94/5  rDev +16.7%

I tried giving this a better rating than I enjoyed. I did this partly because I am not a fruit beer fan. But for those that enjoy this type of beer it is excellent. My rating is biased by the fact I hate all fruit beers, HOWEVER!!! this one was not bad at all.
So disregard my rating and if you like this flavor you will love this wonderful beer. If you want a beer taste as I prefer then it is OK if you can tolerate the fruit. Hey they did a nice job, it just is not for my taste buds. You do get 8% ABV

Update tasted a little of my wife's yesterday. It was nice. Hence I bumped up my original rating a notch. FYI my wife would give this a solid 4.25.

Wrigfen, Jun 07, 2013

Rihup, Jun 04, 2013
1.15/5  rDev -54.4%

I'm only rating this so poorly because I'm judging it as a beer.

It's not a beer. A malt beverage, perhaps (think "Zima"), but there is no way that this should have "lager" on the label.

As a "wine cooler" type of beverage, it's not bad. It's not overly sweet, although it's more of a chemical raspberry than a "fresh fruit" taste.

Full disclosure, I also hate that AB/Inbev caught me with this "craft beer trap". If I knew it was AB, I wouldn't have bought it. And since it is AB, I seriously overpaid for it. Live and learn.

3 stars as a wine cooler - 0 stars as a beer.

pajeff, Jun 01, 2013

freewill35, May 02, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -40.5%

clark25, Apr 28, 2013
2.96/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass..big pink head went to nothing in 30 seconds, looked like a cherry soda minus the ice cubes and a straw. Smell showed Raspberry and sour candy hints, no Lager smell at all. Tastes like Raspberry pop with real fruit juice added, I feel this is a little to close to a wine cooler type drink to be taken seriously as a Premium Lager....but really who thinks that's what Anheuser Busch was trying to do?
Mouthfeel was thin with slight fizz at times and flat other times, overall this is STRONG on the fruit side of a fruit beer and is easy to drink...just not so much if you want to enjoy a beer...can't taste that here...at least for my tastes. Glad I tried this and the sister Wild Blue Blueberry Lager as singles...no harm no foul and increased my taste range to the fruit extreme.

Bear1964, Apr 15, 2013