Bud Light Lime-A-Rita - Anheuser-Busch

Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 07-06-2012

to view more.
Ratings: 611 | Reviews: 70
Reviews by bobbyr5:

A sugary, sticky stomach ache in a can

1.21/5  rDev -42.7%

Kill it, kill it with fire.

4.41/5  rDev +109%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First off, there are some people on here that are entirely too snobby. This tastes like what it is intended to be. It's very light, limey, and refreshing. Like, instant margarita in a can. More carbonated than I was expecting, but it worked. I hate bud light as much as the next person, but I won't knock this just based on the fact that it was made by AB. If this had been made by FFF, people might very well be raving about it. Does it taste like beer? No. Does it taste good, and is it extremely refreshing? Absolutely.

1.2/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

Poured from a giant 25oz can into a pint glass. God help me if I decide to finish it. I'm on a masochistic plan to try each of the 'ritas offered by Bud Light Lime. I've already got a headache from the 4oz of Straw-Ber-Rita that I just had.

Appearance: looks like limeade or lemonade. It does not, however, look like beer. I am not giving it a straight 1 because, theoretically, if a beer looked like a glass of water it could be technically worse and I want to reserve my 1 for that.

Smell: definitely limey, but limey in a way that reminds me of being sick after a Cinco de Mayo party. I am dreading the "taste" portion of this review already.

Taste: this combines artificial lime, Bud Light, and memories of cheap silver tequila. I am not kidding. I thought I might be able to drink at least a few ounces of this, but I am reevaluating this assessment.

Mouthfeel: virtually no body and very fizzy. Kind of like a soda.

Overall: this almost could not be formulated to appeal to me less.

2.09/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Not sure why I bothered purchasing this one. Oh well, gotta give them all a chance, I guess. Pours out a weird, jaundice shade of yellow with olive hints, like a murky Mellow Yellow or Lemon Lime Gatorade. Head is a nearly non-existent dusting of white foam that pops and fizzes as it dissipates into thin air almost immediately. Nose is subdued, smells a little like lime, fruit, and a typically sweet and sour type margarita mix. Mouth feel is thin, the exuberant amount of carbonation strips the initial taste away from the palate. Lime, margarita mix, sweet & sour mixers, a touch of warm alcohol, and a slight fading bitterness. Intense sugary sweetness nearly all the way through, along with a tartness that starts to push things overboard. And that's about it. Really, I can't be too surprised here - I mean, what exactly was I expecting?

By no means is this an awful tasting product. It wasn't undrinkable or gross or anything like that. It just wasn't very good, and it was far too sweet to enjoy the entire tall-boy I purchase. How much sugar is in this thing? I'd prefer this to a regular Bug Light, but not by much. Neither of them really resemble a beer, but at least this has some sort of flavor to it.

So there I was, kicking back on a Monday evening, flipping in between Raw and the Stanley Cup Finals. My stomach was pretty acidic, I had been complaining that my allergies were killing me in the sinus department.

So the old lady rolls into the living room with my New Glarus taster glass, filled with a liquid that looked like it had alka seltzer in it. It was hazy white, like an aspirin decomposed in a few ounces of water, with no head on it. It looked that terrible. When I asked her what it was, she said "well you said you wanted to try it when I opened one." And then I explained I wanted to already be drunk when I tried this, not in a relaxed recovery mood from the weekend/workday.

The aroma was vaguely reminiscient of a tequila made margarita, but even though this was made with bud light, it smelled like it had 100 proof tequila in it. It was seriously gag inducing. And nothing changed with the taste, nothing even remotely resembling hops, malt or yeast. And water was a stretch. Tasted like old, stale margarita with way too much carbonation in the mouthfeel. Disgusting.

This was the worst 'beer' I have ever had. Seriously. The worst out of what is probably getting close to almost 5000 different beers.

2.85/5  rDev +35.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

This is an 8 ounce can Bud Light Lime Lime-A-Rita 8% abv, it's poured into a St Feuillien glass and the beer gods aren't happy with me at all. Hazy yellow, it looks like somebody has a nasty urinary tract infection, fizzy white head lasts all of two seconds. Aroma smells like frozen margarita mix that comes in those tubs, a hint of lime with a bottom shelf tequila. Drinks like a carbonated margarita, I'm getting a hint of saltiness with the lime and margarita mix flavor, beer is nowhere to be found in the flavor profile. If you served this blindly to somebody on Cinco de Mayo they would just recognize it as a shitty margarita. Okay I'm no margarita connoisseur, but I'm guessing this is what a shitty margarita tastes like. After my first sip I'm not turned off so let's go for number two, okay strong lime peel action with a candy like sweetness that fades into a balanced mix of margarita mix with well hidden alcohol and a hint of salt. It is what it is, I'm not hating. I had to try it especially at the dollar price tag, so let's say this was a fresh homemade margarita with seltzer water the carbonation is what throws me of why is this margarita carbonated they are usually on the rocks or frozen in one of those adult Slurpee machines, right? It sets out what it's meant to do get females drunk, don't buy these in number, okay buy them in number and have a party and let the idiots drink outside where they will be puking salty acidic margarita mix that's carbonated all over your outdoor beer pong table. Mouthfeel is fizzy margarita mix residual sugars galore, no depth except for a fruity lime rind bitterness with a salt coating. It's actually not the worst AB experience I've had that would be by far the Chelada experiment that's still being sold on the black market. Overall I want to hate it but the demon on my left shoulder is whispering in my ear it's not that bad c'mon you pansy just finish the last 2 ounces you already took three gulps what's one more.

2.67/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Well, I wish I hadn't been hounded so much to try this. On the other hand, I'm always up for some experimentation.

It looks like Mountain Dew, or actually with more of a radioactive-looking glow to it, so possibly more like an appletini (?). What little head there is fizzes off within moments and leaves little evidence that it was there.
This is a difficult beer to review. It's supposed to have a character particular to a beverage that is not beer, so I guess I'll just take it as it goes.
Sweet lime candy with a dustiness like I get from BLL, the nose offers a sort of salty sweetness with a bit of malt as well. There's a strong ethanolic note as well. Imagine the quality of liquor you can use to make a margarita with for, say, $2-$5, and that's what's underlying here. Still, cheap margarita is margarita and, while barely and not overly pleasant, there's a hint of the barely-beer that is Bud Light.
The taste follows suit, cheap ethanolic heat with lemon candy and dusty malts. I am impressed that they got some salt in here and that it's reasonably well managed. It's not too salty/limey/etc.
The mouthfeel seems like they're still going more for beer. It's not still and smooth, it's definitely carbonated and crisp. It's light and thin, as expected, but whatever...which summarizes my overall experience.

1.66/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

236ml can (2 of 'em actually, procured from the remainder bin of the local chain monopoly, oh so relatively cheaply). One of few AB-Inbev products available here that aren't contract brewed at the Labatt plant in Edmonton. Yay.

This beer pours the whitest of any 'beer' that I've ever encountered, and that includes all White Ales, a sort of faint yellow tint that suggests weak-ass lemonade, in both colour and head retention - there were a few fingers or so of furiously bubbly off-white frothiness, but it evaporates like an ill-fated high school chemistry experiment, leaving zilch around the glass in terms of lace.

It smells of sugary, salted lemonade, duly tempered by moderately boozy tequila, and the faintest of non-margarita pale graininess. The taste is more rather sweet fake lemon and lime fruitiness, salted rim tequila essence, and lightly grainy, morning cereal rice and corn sweetness.

The bubbles are, as previously noted, short lived, broad in scope, and hardly noticeable after a brief spell, the body medium-light in weight, due mostly to the overall sugar 'character', and not any malty attributes, with smoothness I can get from the leftovers from the breakfast cereal. It finishes sweet, simply boozy like a freshman Yuk-a-flux, and a 7-11 lemon-lime fruitiness.

Another craptacular offering from a brewery reeling from the public's (read: less than 10 percent) rebuttal of their bland, homogenous products. Say now! Let's just blend their vacation swilling into an existing beer! Marketing, with any sort of power, sucks balls, once again. Not a real beer - margarita, possibly.

2.08/5  rDev -1.4%

Some friends had it at the beach so I decided to give it a shot..

A: A hazy light yellow color, looks like lemonade. No head ot lacing at all.

S: Very limey with some faint grains and a little bit of salt.

T: Tastes like a very sugary/sweet/fake margarita. Mostly lime in there.

M: Light to medium bodied, moderate carbonation.

O: Extremely sweet, this was an 8oz can, and I was fine to not have another one. Can't imagine how people drink the 24oz cans of this stuff.

2.08/5  rDev -1.4%

A - hazy greenish yellow (like a margarita) with a very fizzy, white head that fades quickly

S - artificial lime--like a margarita made from powder

T - artificial lime, sugar, very(!) sweet

M - sticky, light bodied, well carbonated

Well, this is pretty close to what they wanted; margarita flavored beer. Unfortunately, it tastes artificial and it's way too sweet. I couldn't get past a few ounces. I drain poured the rest. This is a novelty and nothing else. I'll never have this again.

3.56/5  rDev +68.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bud Light Lime-A-Rita
24 oz. can, coded "13059 BJ25"
$2.99 @ Stop N Shop Liquors, Camden, NJ

There's not really much to say about this. In fact, the name kind of says it all. It's a margarita-like drink that uses malt as a base, thus the "Bud Light Lime" logo that adorns the packaging. It's not "light" by any stretch of the imagination, however, clocking in at a whopping 330 calories per 12 ounce serving. What it does have down pat is the margarita side of things. It looks like a margarita, and it tastes like a margarita. It even has a bit of a tequila flavor to it. The only thing that's not like a margarita is that it's got a little bit of carbonation to it.

So... what to say about it, and how to review it? You can't really look at it as a beer because there's too much flavoring added to it. It's entirely something else altogether, so let's just follow that route and think of it hedonistically. It's sweet. It's a little tart. It's even a little salty. Overall it's an impressive copy of a margarita, and there's certainly a use for that. The first time I tasted this I was in Louisiana and headed out into the hot sun to do a little crawfishin' (that's actually just pulling traps out of a man-made pond, dumping them, re-baiting them, and then replacing them). It came in handy, and I enjoyed it. It has it's place.

4.06/5  rDev +92.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This is not a beer and should not be rated or compared to other beers.

It is a Margarita flavored drink in a can.

And for what it is, it is pretty darn good.

Smells just like a Margarita.
It is light, lightly carbonated and refreshing.
The 8% ABV is well hidden.

Taste just like a Margarita but without the Tequila flavor.

Overall, it is a nice drink.
A good option to have if you do not want to deal with Tequila or Margarita mix.

1.47/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Poured from an 8 OZ can into a pint glass.
Aroma- Smells of artificial lime (in a gad way) and no aroma of any normal beer ingredients.
Appearance- A very odd yellow color that looks more like a soda than beer.
Taste- WOW, not good at all, in fact I can't drink all of the 8 OZ serving.
Palate- highly carbonated, finishes dry
Overall: Terrible, avoid at all costs.

2.16/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

The alcohol is overpowering not to say the limes not their because it is just not enough.The smell is also very strong and for the price you can buy a 4loco or Jose which has as much alcohol and it tastes better. It is hard for me to recommend this drink i am not sure it is worth a try.

1.67/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

8oz can poured into a pint glass

A- pours a pale watered down yellowish-white color with no head or lacing at all, pretty much as unattractive as a beer can be

S- cheap watered down tequila and lime, soapy dishwater, salt, sugary artificial margarita mix

T- sprite with lime juice and alcohol, that's about it

M- watery mouthfeel with a light spritz carbonation leads to a foamy and watery finish

O- this isn't beer, it;s basically a wine cooler, and a bad one at that

1.61/5  rDev -23.7%

This would appear to be an attempt to emulate a margarita in the form of a malt beverage and it did accomplish that in appearance. The nose was sour and full of artificial lime. The taste is actually offensive with an awful sour lime juice flavor, a lemon sour and a true cry for tequila. It's very carbonated and I have no idea whether it's refreshing because I poured it out.

3.47/5  rDev +64.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a cloudy yellowish/green color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very strong of limes. Taste is a bit like a margarita, lots of sour limes, easy drinking. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall not a bad beer, although I would not want a steady diet of it.

3.94/5  rDev +86.7%

I am going to break with the pack on this and say I really liked Lime-A-rita . I mean its not a beer so dont think of it in those terms and it really isnt bad.

It has a mountain dew soda pop appearance. Yellowish green and fizzy.

Smell was like that of a pretty good house margarita. Nice and Limey

Taste was actually really good for AB product. Tastes like a margarita I would drink in a restaurant.

Mouthfeel was definately 'sticky'. There is a lot of sugar in this drink and you can definately feel it in your mouth after your done drinking it.

Overall, not something I would drink every day, but as far as "Wine Coolers" go , this one is pretty good.

2.04/5  rDev -3.3%

From the 25 fl. oz. can marked 140730-BK09. Sampled on May 15, 2014 when it was 75 and slight humid outside. Straight up with no ice (as they recommend).

Odd looking lime juice-yellow mash up with no head to speak of. Rather opaque.

Aroma is virtually all lime and lime juice with the vaguest hint of barley malt if I close my eyes and wince.

OK, I will give it an average grade for body because as far as the style goes - it is meant to be light and refreshing and that is the case.

The taste is like the aroma...lots and lots of lime. Bring on some burritos, refried beans, and rice and I'll have a feast.

1.65/5  rDev -21.8%

Inb4 ABI shill reviews... Say friend, are you too busy to mix your own margaritas? Too lazy to pour tequila and Sprite in a glass? Enjoy Four Loko? Lime-A-Rita to the rescue!

Served over ice in a big ass mug. Let the good times roll... Pale pastel greenish yellow, looks like lemonade. Fizzy at first, smells like Sprite and crushed vitamins.

Astringent lemon-lime flavor with an artificial chemical plastic aftertaste. Mmm, Flinstones vitamins. Cloying, toothache sweet. Flat carbonation, tart citrus, like straight up margarita mix dumped in some lemonade. The Bud Light is nowhere to be found... oh well. If there was only 5% beer in this i'd believe it. Not beer, this is alcopop despite the Bud Light logo on the can. Lowest common denominator junk... dumped over half of it.

Sickly, sticky sweet, carbonated lime syrup.

Will not purchase or drink again. Do yourself a favor, go make yourself a proper margarita.

I will be completely honest here: this was a random from a mix'n'match, out of pure guinea pig steez curiosity. The others I picked were already ones I reviewed & enjoyed, this is the loner, let's roll...

16oz glass fills blurry lemonade-looking yellow-white. No head whatsoever. Really, really fizzy, like a spritzer. Scent is lime (duh) plus lemon, like a stronger version of Sprite. That is a soda though, and this is a beer, so what this means is unclear. I'm not particularly hopeful, to be honest. Here goes...

Along with the lime is salt, a surprising amount of salt. Guess A-B took the "margarita w/ a twist" thing literally. I can feel my blood pressure going up with this first swig. Goes down like a thicker version of a wine cooler -- a quality I don't like even in those, let alone in something that is ostensibly supposed to still be beer, regardless of the flavor promotion.

This is a drain pour on sight. Even if someone offers you one for *free*, not only should you refuse, you should place that person on your enemies list. I wish I could give this zeros instead of ones. Never again...never again.

2.37/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Can: Poured a lemonade color looking drink with ton of fake lime. Taste is not that far off Margueritas and not even close to beer. I can see this drink working for a certain crowd but I am not really sure it has very much to do with beer at the end of the day.

2.48/5  rDev +17.5%

24 oz can poured over ice into a margarita glass.
8% ABV, 330 calories.

A - Bud Light Lime-A-Rita pours with the classic overly carbonated effervescent fizz that hisses like a snake warning you, "get away". Like the Crocodile Hunter, I press on, testing my luck. The thin skim of off-white foam disappears just as quickly as it came leaving a few ice cubes, which the can suggests drinking it with, floating lazily in the muted green colored malt liquor. Hey, it looks like a margarita!

S - The fizz gives away a clue into this beer though; strong malt liquor, grainy, cheap malt, adjuncts abound, and a sugary, margarita mix-like finish. It's just about what I expected and since this is pushed more as a margarita than a beer, it's not awful.

T - I'd keep the fruit at bay with this one; the lime flavor of Bud Light Lime is certainly apparent, but the grainy maltiness really pops too, unfortunately leaving little room for margarita flavor, which I had hoped would be the showcase. Instead, it tastes more or less like a splash of margarita mix, sans the Tequila, in a strong malt liquor. It becomes more and more of a chore with each passing sip.

M - Both sweet and salty dominate the palate also removing the necessity of dipping the glass in salt, just like the lime garnish. In fact, the mouthfeel is almost to the point of being cloying. Carbonation does liven up the feel for a good twist on a margarita though. The finish is sharp with a warming booze and lingering, lip-smacking flavor.

O - I'm a huge margarita fan. I almost drowned myself in them in Mexico, so believe me when I say I had mixed emotions going into this. One one hand, I hate Bud Light (and the Lime version) on the other hand, from all angles, this looks more like a canned margarita with some Bud Light Lime added instead of the other way around. Well, it didn't fall to the incredibly low expectations I had going in, but it's also not great.

Bud Light Lime-A-Rita will appeal to the masses looking for a malternative beverage that touts 8% ABV and most will find comfort in it's blend of standard margarita mix flavor and basic malt liquor kick. I suppose, when all is said and done, Bud Light Lime-A-Rita has it's place.

to view more.