2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bud Light Lime-A-Rita - Anheuser-Busch

Bud Light Lime-A-RitaBud Light Lime-A-Rita

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 07-06-2012)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 357 | Reviews: 47 | Show All Ratings:
1Adam12

Indiana

4.43/5  rDev +106%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First off, there are some people on here that are entirely too snobby. This tastes like what it is intended to be. It's very light, limey, and refreshing. Like, instant margarita in a can. More carbonated than I was expecting, but it worked. I hate bud light as much as the next person, but I won't knock this just based on the fact that it was made by AB. If this had been made by FFF, people might very well be raving about it. Does it taste like beer? No. Does it taste good, and is it extremely refreshing? Absolutely.

06-07-2013 00:50:08 | More by 1Adam12
armiakhe

4.18/5  rDev +94.4%

When we tried the Bud Light Lime-A-Rita in class I was very fond of it because it doesn't taste like your typical beer. The coloring is a yellow/clear ish. The taste definitely had a twist to it and tasted of lime and a pinch of lemon as well. I feel like this would be a very good drink for tropical weather or by the beach. I enjoyed it.

04-23-2013 19:12:11 | More by armiakhe
bigolbeerbelly

3.95/5  rDev +83.7%

I am going to break with the pack on this and say I really liked Lime-A-rita . I mean its not a beer so dont think of it in those terms and it really isnt bad.

It has a mountain dew soda pop appearance. Yellowish green and fizzy.

Smell was like that of a pretty good house margarita. Nice and Limey

Taste was actually really good for AB product. Tastes like a margarita I would drink in a restaurant.

Mouthfeel was definately 'sticky'. There is a lot of sugar in this drink and you can definately feel it in your mouth after your done drinking it.

Overall, not something I would drink every day, but as far as "Wine Coolers" go , this one is pretty good.

12-29-2012 23:04:00 | More by bigolbeerbelly
Kelsiemoeller

3.85/5  rDev +79.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Appearance - light/pale yellow in color, similar appearance to lemonade with a slight carbonation.

Smell - smells really good and exactly how one would expect it to smell. It has a lime smell, sugar smell, rum smell, with a hint of beer.

Taste - very sweet, the sweetness took me by surprise at first, but it is something you get used to. Tastes like a margarita mixed with beer and less alcohol.

Mouthfeel - tart and has a ton of carbonation.

Overall - It is pretty good for what it was, but I do not know if I would order it again.

04-29-2013 20:41:54 | More by Kelsiemoeller
NeroFiddled

3.59/5  rDev +67%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bud Light Lime-A-Rita
24 oz. can, coded "13059 BJ25"
$2.99 @ Stop N Shop Liquors, Camden, NJ

There's not really much to say about this. In fact, the name kind of says it all. It's a margarita-like drink that uses malt as a base, thus the "Bud Light Lime" logo that adorns the packaging. It's not "light" by any stretch of the imagination, however, clocking in at a whopping 330 calories per 12 ounce serving. What it does have down pat is the margarita side of things. It looks like a margarita, and it tastes like a margarita. It even has a bit of a tequila flavor to it. The only thing that's not like a margarita is that it's got a little bit of carbonation to it.

So... what to say about it, and how to review it? You can't really look at it as a beer because there's too much flavoring added to it. It's entirely something else altogether, so let's just follow that route and think of it hedonistically. It's sweet. It's a little tart. It's even a little salty. Overall it's an impressive copy of a margarita, and there's certainly a use for that. The first time I tasted this I was in Louisiana and headed out into the hot sun to do a little crawfishin' (that's actually just pulling traps out of a man-made pond, dumping them, re-baiting them, and then replacing them). It came in handy, and I enjoyed it. It has it's place.

04-02-2013 22:13:06 | More by NeroFiddled
tone77

3.48/5  rDev +61.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a cloudy yellowish/green color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very strong of limes. Taste is a bit like a margarita, lots of sour limes, easy drinking. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall not a bad beer, although I would not want a steady diet of it.

01-26-2013 14:49:01 | More by tone77
scottfrie

3.4/5  rDev +58.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I reviewed this to style for what it was, a margarita beer, not a world-class beverage.

Thanks(?) for this tick, Abel. You the mans and so forth.

A: No head, cloudy lemonade color. Not much carbonation that is noticeable.
S: Ultra sweet smelling, but you know what, this smells exactly like a freaking margarita. Hell I even get notes of salt! Beer is not detectable though, so fail.
T: Tastes of spritzy margarita mix basically. I maybe get a splash of pale beer, but overall the flavor is extremely sweet. I’m not getting any salt this time, or beer.
M: Medium body, low carbonation, sugary and thick mouthfeel that is almost syrupy.
O: Not beer. Very sugary. Too sweet to drink a lot of, but it’s not terrible because it tastes just like margarita mix and sugar.

07-22-2012 19:43:12 | More by scottfrie
apu1

Maryland

3.23/5  rDev +50.2%

I decided to try this just now too and aside from the nice 8% ABV, the taste is actually quite nice. I'm not sure what changed my mind. The alcohol is still a bit overpowering but the lime seems to mellow it out more than I thought. It's also still a little hard to get down though but definitely different than when I wrote this review earlier.

09-14-2013 02:31:31 | More by apu1
jimmah120

3.15/5  rDev +46.5%

24oz can into glass with ice cubes

couldnt believe my eyes when i saw "malted ale" on the can. to rate this against other malt liquors is tough. It's a mix of undetectable alcohol and Slurpee™ syrup. Super sweet melted limesicle flavor.

Might be good on a hot day out by the water

04-13-2013 17:26:46 | More by jimmah120
a0lbudman

Alabama

3.11/5  rDev +44.7%

A-white with a large white head that faded fast
S- like a margarita
T-like a margarita
M-light body and medium carbonation
O-if you like beer well this is not what you want. If you like margaritas this would be great. Of course you could be like me and like both, but not on this site

01-14-2014 03:39:21 | More by a0lbudman
brewskifan55

Mississippi

2.93/5  rDev +36.3%

Given to by a friend
Poured into a tulip glass, split a 24 oz with my wife

A: Lemonade yellow. No head, leaves a foamy ring. Slight lacing.

S: Margarita, sweet, tart, lemonade

T: Not bad, actually. Like an over-sweetened margarita mix. Similar to Mike's Hard Lemonade or Sangria. But this one packs a punch with the 8%.

M: Light to medium. Light carbonation.

O: Pretend it's not a beer and you won't be so offended. Like a wine cooler with more of an alcohol kick . My wife said this would appeal more to the ladies, but only if it were marketed in a bottle. The 24 oz tallboy is a man's beer. I think the high sweetness is the biggest turnoff here.

09-13-2012 15:42:01 | More by brewskifan55
Zorro

2.9/5  rDev +34.9%

Not really a beer in the traditional scent but a beer cocktail.

Cloudy light green colored beer, it looks like a pale Margarita. There is no head formation.

Smell is strongly sweet with lots of lime aroma. Scent of orange and a little tequila scent. It is supposed to smell like a Margarita and it does.

Starts out sweet and a little salty the can does say to try it over ice but I'm drinking it straight. Flavors of tequila, lime and orange. In Other words yes it tastes like a Margarita. I have had better Margaritas though.

Mouthfeel is is soda.

Overall it tastes like a Margarita, just not a great one.

It also cost just $1 so I got my Dollars worth out of it.

05-03-2013 01:24:10 | More by Zorro
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

2.89/5  rDev +34.4%

Sampled tonight on 3/18/14, though I had this one about 2 years ago. Last time it was a 12-ounce bottle and tonight it was a 8 ounce can. Haven't seen it in a bottle since. Can chilled down to 36 degrees in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner flute glass.

Pours a lemonade in color with no head as well as no lacing. The aroma is pretty close to a normal margarita. The taste is close to the aroma but nothing too exciting. If I wanted a margarita, why not just have a J.C pre-mix one instead or make your own as I do, which is pretty damn good!. Overall, not real thrilled with this one, though I like their Razz-A-Rita one.

03-19-2014 02:56:22 | More by BeerWithMike
WVbeergeek

2.85/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

This is an 8 ounce can Bud Light Lime Lime-A-Rita 8% abv, it's poured into a St Feuillien glass and the beer gods aren't happy with me at all. Hazy yellow, it looks like somebody has a nasty urinary tract infection, fizzy white head lasts all of two seconds. Aroma smells like frozen margarita mix that comes in those tubs, a hint of lime with a bottom shelf tequila. Drinks like a carbonated margarita, I'm getting a hint of saltiness with the lime and margarita mix flavor, beer is nowhere to be found in the flavor profile. If you served this blindly to somebody on Cinco de Mayo they would just recognize it as a shitty margarita. Okay I'm no margarita connoisseur, but I'm guessing this is what a shitty margarita tastes like. After my first sip I'm not turned off so let's go for number two, okay strong lime peel action with a candy like sweetness that fades into a balanced mix of margarita mix with well hidden alcohol and a hint of salt. It is what it is, I'm not hating. I had to try it especially at the dollar price tag, so let's say this was a fresh homemade margarita with seltzer water the carbonation is what throws me of why is this margarita carbonated they are usually on the rocks or frozen in one of those adult Slurpee machines, right? It sets out what it's meant to do get females drunk, don't buy these in number, okay buy them in number and have a party and let the idiots drink outside where they will be puking salty acidic margarita mix that's carbonated all over your outdoor beer pong table. Mouthfeel is fizzy margarita mix residual sugars galore, no depth except for a fruity lime rind bitterness with a salt coating. It's actually not the worst AB experience I've had that would be by far the Chelada experiment that's still being sold on the black market. Overall I want to hate it but the demon on my left shoulder is whispering in my ear it's not that bad c'mon you pansy just finish the last 2 ounces you already took three gulps what's one more.

05-13-2013 20:31:17 | More by WVbeergeek
Stinkypuss

2.78/5  rDev +29.3%

Bud Light Lime-A-Rita
Anheuser-Busch, Inc.
Style: American Malt Liquor
ABV: 8.00 %

LOOK: Pale, yellowish color but very, very pale. Looks like a margarita actually, because there is a bright white hue to the beer, and even a greenish tint to it. Looks interesting, like no beer I've ever seen before.

SMELL: Aroma of jarred limes, sweet cereal malts, tequila, and sugar. Smells like a beverage you would have with breakfast in mexico. It also, smells like a fairly distictly like a cheap Margarita.

TASTE: Sour lime, salt, cereal grains, no real respectable hop flavor. This tastes like an under salted, half way there carbonated margarita. For most styles of beer this would be an abomination. But in the malt liqour category, this scores huge. I'd go as far to say that this has an above average taste for a malt liqour, yet a well below average taste for a margarita.

FEEL: Medium bodied, loosely crisp, but well carbonated. Leaves a sour, limey taste in your mouth.

OVERALL: This is an interesting concoction. Not truely a beer, but from a malt liqour stand point, this is an upgrade. Definitely not good beer by any stretch. Still, I can see the niche for something like this. Can't make it out to the liqour store for margarita night? Don't want to keep drinking Steel Reserve? Go to your local seven eleven and pick a few of these up, 8% of pure swill hidden in a margarita costume.

10-25-2012 19:26:31 | More by Stinkypuss
matjack85

2.76/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Tall, slender, 24oz can with a picture of a margarita glass with a lime wedge in it. My first thought was "oh no, what have they come uo with this time?" I also thought all Bud products had a born on date on them, but I couldn't find one on this can. Still, being a brand new product, I doubt if I have to worry about a freshness date. $2.09 at Springbrook Liquors in Bloomingdale, IL.

The beer poured a cloudy lemonade color with a huge 4-finger white head, but zero lacing.

The beer smelled like a cross between lemonade and limeade.

Tastes like limeade spiked with alcohol. Not a bad flavor, and definitely not as sickening sweet as their TILT products, but not very beer-like either.

Light to medium bodied with very low carbonation. The alcohol is noticeable but not unpleasant. At least you know you're not drinking straight limeade.

Not that good as a beer, but a decent summer thirst quencher.

P.S. Since there was 24oz of it, I took half of it and put it in a blender with a shot of tequilla and a cup of crushed ice to see if I could make a decent margarita out of it. Don't try it. All you get is a diluted foamy mess. The blender turns it so foamy that it takes 20 minutes for the foam to die down so you can drink it, and then it's so diluted it doesn't taste very good.

02-15-2013 00:46:50 | More by matjack85
woodychandler

2.76/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

The CANQUest (TM) requires that I review all CANs and when I saw this in my neighbor's (a six-pack & bottle shop) cooler, I felt CANpelled to buy one.

From the CAN: "Try it over ice! [with a related rebus puzzle for visual learners]"

My initial Crack & Glug produced a finger-and-a-half of fizzy, bone-white head with low retention. Color was a deeply cloudy pale-yellow and it occurred to me that it must have pained the brewers not to filter and clarify the heck out of it. Nose smelled of lime, but not natural lime, more like lime candy, such as green Life Savers. I claim better living through chemistry, although the CAN reads "... with natural flavors ..." and "flavored ale", so only our hairdresser knows for sure. Mouthfeel was medium and it had a sweet-tart flavor in the mouth. I initially tasted sweet, but the tartness of the lime quickly took hold. Phew. Finish was dry and tangy. I am not sure how I feel about this one. It might be better on a hot summer's day when I would be looking to quench my thirst, but on a cold February afternoon, it just was not my cuppa tea or glass of AML for that matter. Oh well, at least the price point was like the auto commercial's point - cheap.

02-16-2013 20:17:53 | More by woodychandler
Brenden

2.69/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Well, I wish I hadn't been hounded so much to try this. On the other hand, I'm always up for some experimentation.

It looks like Mountain Dew, or actually with more of a radioactive-looking glow to it, so possibly more like an appletini (?). What little head there is fizzes off within moments and leaves little evidence that it was there.
This is a difficult beer to review. It's supposed to have a character particular to a beverage that is not beer, so I guess I'll just take it as it goes.
Sweet lime candy with a dustiness like I get from BLL, the nose offers a sort of salty sweetness with a bit of malt as well. There's a strong ethanolic note as well. Imagine the quality of liquor you can use to make a margarita with for, say, $2-$5, and that's what's underlying here. Still, cheap margarita is margarita and, while barely and not overly pleasant, there's a hint of the barely-beer that is Bud Light.
The taste follows suit, cheap ethanolic heat with lemon candy and dusty malts. I am impressed that they got some salt in here and that it's reasonably well managed. It's not too salty/limey/etc.
The mouthfeel seems like they're still going more for beer. It's not still and smooth, it's definitely carbonated and crisp. It's light and thin, as expected, but whatever...which summarizes my overall experience.

12-18-2013 20:33:36 | More by Brenden
Drew966

2.55/5  rDev +18.6%

Bud Light Lime-A-Rita pours a pale yellow with a white head from an eight ounce can. It smells like a margarita. The flavor is pretty much spot on for what it's supposed to be, a margarita with lime using a malt base rather than a hard alcohol base. Pretty good actually for what it is, but arguably more of a malternative than a beer.

01-28-2013 00:48:13 | More by Drew966
TMoney2591

2.53/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in a Gale Sayers shaker pint glass.

I had to find out if this stuff was any good. Damn morbid curiosity... It pours a lightly hazy pale yellow topped by a finger of quickly-dying off-white foam. The nose betrays the contents entirely: margarita. Straight-up lime (not as artificial as I expected), a squeeze of Squirt, a pinch of brine, and a vague sense of something trying to replace the tequila with some like-scented pod-liqueur. The taste follows pretty closely, with the salt coming through a lot more than expected, while still keeping its distance behind the lime. I'm not the biggest fan of margaritas or lime in general, but this honestly wasn't horrendous. ...Just not entirely good. The body is a light medium, with a fizzy carbonation and a wet feel. Overall, it delivers what it promises, a low-ABV margarita experience in a can, but it's not all that great of an experience. It could have been worse, but that's hardly the praise you wanna hear.

10-18-2012 14:26:44 | More by TMoney2591
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

2.43/5  rDev +13%

24 oz can poured over ice into a margarita glass.
8% ABV, 330 calories.

A - Bud Light Lime-A-Rita pours with the classic overly carbonated effervescent fizz that hisses like a snake warning you, "get away". Like the Crocodile Hunter, I press on, testing my luck. The thin skim of off-white foam disappears just as quickly as it came leaving a few ice cubes, which the can suggests drinking it with, floating lazily in the muted green colored malt liquor. Hey, it looks like a margarita!

S - The fizz gives away a clue into this beer though; strong malt liquor, grainy, cheap malt, adjuncts abound, and a sugary, margarita mix-like finish. It's just about what I expected and since this is pushed more as a margarita than a beer, it's not awful.

T - I'd keep the fruit at bay with this one; the lime flavor of Bud Light Lime is certainly apparent, but the grainy maltiness really pops too, unfortunately leaving little room for margarita flavor, which I had hoped would be the showcase. Instead, it tastes more or less like a splash of margarita mix, sans the Tequila, in a strong malt liquor. It becomes more and more of a chore with each passing sip.

M - Both sweet and salty dominate the palate also removing the necessity of dipping the glass in salt, just like the lime garnish. In fact, the mouthfeel is almost to the point of being cloying. Carbonation does liven up the feel for a good twist on a margarita though. The finish is sharp with a warming booze and lingering, lip-smacking flavor.

O - I'm a huge margarita fan. I almost drowned myself in them in Mexico, so believe me when I say I had mixed emotions going into this. One one hand, I hate Bud Light (and the Lime version) on the other hand, from all angles, this looks more like a canned margarita with some Bud Light Lime added instead of the other way around. Well, it didn't fall to the incredibly low expectations I had going in, but it's also not great.

Bud Light Lime-A-Rita will appeal to the masses looking for a malternative beverage that touts 8% ABV and most will find comfort in it's blend of standard margarita mix flavor and basic malt liquor kick. I suppose, when all is said and done, Bud Light Lime-A-Rita has it's place.

07-06-2012 22:37:25 | More by BeerFMAndy
SometimesIfart

2.43/5  rDev +13%

A - Looks like lemonade with a quickly receding one and a half finger frothy white head. No lacing.

S - Exactly like a Mike's hard lemonade. And I mean to the point. Loads of artificial lime and lemon.

T - Artificial lemon up front, Heavy lime in the middle and a heavy lime bitterness in the finish. Very one dimensional, although drinkable for 8%

M - Very light bodied with light carbonation. Quite salty and sour

O - Overall, this isn't a terrible " beer ". It would be perfect for a hot summer day

11-03-2012 21:18:05 | More by SometimesIfart
metter98

2.43/5  rDev +13%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A: The 'beer' is hazy light yellow in color (somewhat like a Berliner Weissbier) and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high dense bright white head that died down rather quickly, leaving some bits of bubbles on the surface and a thin collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of artificial lime juice are present in the nose along with some hints of sugar. It's similar to a Margarita mix.
T: Like the smell, the overall taste is very much dominated by flavors of lime and has associated notes of sweetness and hints of sourness and salt. As it warms up, the taste becomes sweeter and resembles a lime-flavored soda.
M: It feels light-bodied (but not watery) and a little tart on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The lime flavors completely obscure the taste of the underlying beer, but when you consider that this is Bud Light, this might not necessarily be considered a bad thing. It seems a little heavy on the limes and sugary flavors so this would probably be best served over ice so it is diluted. No traces of alcohol are perceptible so this makes for a very drinkable malt liquor if someone is looking for a quick buzz.

05-07-2013 02:16:48 | More by metter98
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.35/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Can: Poured a lemonade color looking drink with ton of fake lime. Taste is not that far off Margueritas and not even close to beer. I can see this drink working for a certain crowd but I am not really sure it has very much to do with beer at the end of the day.

07-15-2013 20:20:14 | More by Phyl21ca
dbrauneis

2.34/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

A: Pours a hazy pale yellow in color with moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some straw yellow + lemon yellow highlights. The beer has a finger tall bright white dense head that reduces to a very thin film covering the entire surface of the beer with a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of sweetened lime juice (similar to margarita mix), a touch of salt, and a touch of artificial sweetness.

T: Upfront there is a pretty intense (moderate to strong) flavors of sweetened lime juice, margarita mix, and just a touch of salt. Then the flavors turn more tart like limeade. It seems to get even sweeter as the beer warms up.

M: Light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. There is a slightly puckering tartness.

O: The alcohol flavors are well hidden by the sweetness so this beer is pretty easy to drink (especially for a Malt Liquor). The lime flavors really dominate any flavor that you would get from the underlying Bud LIght but that is not too surprising as the flavors are almost not present in the beer.

07-06-2013 21:01:39 | More by dbrauneis