Bud Light Lime-A-Rita - Anheuser-Busch

American Malt Liquor |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 07-06-2012

4.41/5  rDev +81.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First off, there are some people on here that are entirely too snobby. This tastes like what it is intended to be. It's very light, limey, and refreshing. Like, instant margarita in a can. More carbonated than I was expecting, but it worked. I hate bud light as much as the next person, but I won't knock this just based on the fact that it was made by AB. If this had been made by FFF, people might very well be raving about it. Does it taste like beer? No. Does it taste good, and is it extremely refreshing? Absolutely. (522 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +70.8%

When we tried the Bud Light Lime-A-Rita in class I was very fond of it because it doesn't taste like your typical beer. The coloring is a yellow/clear ish. The taste definitely had a twist to it and tasted of lime and a pinch of lemon as well. I feel like this would be a very good drink for tropical weather or by the beach. I enjoyed it. (339 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +67.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

This is not a beer and should not be rated or compared to other beers.

It is a Margarita flavored drink in a can.

And for what it is, it is pretty darn good.

Smells just like a Margarita.
It is light, lightly carbonated and refreshing.
The 8% ABV is well hidden.

Taste just like a Margarita but without the Tequila flavor.

Overall, it is a nice drink.
A good option to have if you do not want to deal with Tequila or Margarita mix. (438 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +62.1%

I am going to break with the pack on this and say I really liked Lime-A-rita . I mean its not a beer so dont think of it in those terms and it really isnt bad.

It has a mountain dew soda pop appearance. Yellowish green and fizzy.

Smell was like that of a pretty good house margarita. Nice and Limey

Taste was actually really good for AB product. Tastes like a margarita I would drink in a restaurant.

Mouthfeel was definately 'sticky'. There is a lot of sugar in this drink and you can definately feel it in your mouth after your done drinking it.

Overall, not something I would drink every day, but as far as "Wine Coolers" go , this one is pretty good. (659 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +59.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Appearance - light/pale yellow in color, similar appearance to lemonade with a slight carbonation.

Smell - smells really good and exactly how one would expect it to smell. It has a lime smell, sugar smell, rum smell, with a hint of beer.

Taste - very sweet, the sweetness took me by surprise at first, but it is something you get used to. Tastes like a margarita mixed with beer and less alcohol.

Mouthfeel - tart and has a ton of carbonation.

Overall - It is pretty good for what it was, but I do not know if I would order it again. (537 characters)

3.59/5  rDev +47.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

think a malt liquor that is flavored with lime and salt to the point that it is similar to a margarita-refreshing when summery it achieves what it sets out to do which is why I gave it the rating - it is not a standard malt liquor so I don't think rating it strictly to style is appropriate. (291 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +46.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bud Light Lime-A-Rita
24 oz. can, coded "13059 BJ25"
$2.99 @ Stop N Shop Liquors, Camden, NJ

There's not really much to say about this. In fact, the name kind of says it all. It's a margarita-like drink that uses malt as a base, thus the "Bud Light Lime" logo that adorns the packaging. It's not "light" by any stretch of the imagination, however, clocking in at a whopping 330 calories per 12 ounce serving. What it does have down pat is the margarita side of things. It looks like a margarita, and it tastes like a margarita. It even has a bit of a tequila flavor to it. The only thing that's not like a margarita is that it's got a little bit of carbonation to it.

So... what to say about it, and how to review it? You can't really look at it as a beer because there's too much flavoring added to it. It's entirely something else altogether, so let's just follow that route and think of it hedonistically. It's sweet. It's a little tart. It's even a little salty. Overall it's an impressive copy of a margarita, and there's certainly a use for that. The first time I tasted this I was in Louisiana and headed out into the hot sun to do a little crawfishin' (that's actually just pulling traps out of a man-made pond, dumping them, re-baiting them, and then replacing them). It came in handy, and I enjoyed it. It has it's place. (1,333 characters)

3.47/5  rDev +42.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 24 oz. can. Has a cloudy yellowish/green color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very strong of limes. Taste is a bit like a margarita, lots of sour limes, easy drinking. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall not a bad beer, although I would not want a steady diet of it. (289 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +42.4%

Can at 40 degrees into shaker
Aroma of lime
Head small (1.5 cm), fizzy, gone in 60 seconds, no ring or layer
No lacing
Body straw, cloudy
Flavor – sweet, lime, lime, lime; no hops, no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, syrupy, lively carbonation

Appearance 2.5, Aroma 4, Flavor 3.5, Palate 3, Overall 3.25
Not bad if you like lime but don’t expect anything resembling beer or ale. (395 characters)

3.39/5  rDev +39.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I reviewed this to style for what it was, a margarita beer, not a world-class beverage.

Thanks(?) for this tick, Abel. You the mans and so forth.

A: No head, cloudy lemonade color. Not much carbonation that is noticeable.
S: Ultra sweet smelling, but you know what, this smells exactly like a freaking margarita. Hell I even get notes of salt! Beer is not detectable though, so fail.
T: Tastes of spritzy margarita mix basically. I maybe get a splash of pale beer, but overall the flavor is extremely sweet. I’m not getting any salt this time, or beer.
M: Medium body, low carbonation, sugary and thick mouthfeel that is almost syrupy.
O: Not beer. Very sugary. Too sweet to drink a lot of, but it’s not terrible because it tastes just like margarita mix and sugar. (775 characters)

3.16/5  rDev +30%

I decided to try this just now too and aside from the nice 8% ABV, the taste is actually quite nice. I'm not sure what changed my mind. The alcohol is still a bit overpowering but the lime seems to mellow it out more than I thought. It's also still a little hard to get down though but definitely different than when I wrote this review earlier. (345 characters)

3.15/5  rDev +29.6%

24oz can into glass with ice cubes

couldnt believe my eyes when i saw "malted ale" on the can. to rate this against other malt liquors is tough. It's a mix of undetectable alcohol and Slurpee™ syrup. Super sweet melted limesicle flavor.

Might be good on a hot day out by the water (284 characters)

3.11/5  rDev +28%

8 oz can from the store down the street.
Lemon green color with a smallish white head that dissipates almost instantly. Puckering lime and sour mix aroma and flavor. Probably my favorite of the rita series so far. Hardly beer but kinda nailed the bubbly margarita imitation. (275 characters)

3.1/5  rDev +27.6%

A-white with a large white head that faded fast
S- like a margarita
T-like a margarita
M-light body and medium carbonation
O-if you like beer well this is not what you want. If you like margaritas this would be great. Of course you could be like me and like both, but not on this site (284 characters)

Straight out the can, didn't get a look at the color.

Smells of sour mix and lime juice. Basically tastes like a carbonated lime flavored margarita. I get lime but no salt. Sweet as hell, tons of sugar in this. No beer flavor whatsoever.

Good carbonation, thin body.

Overall there's really nothing offensive about this beer. No booze, no off flavors. Although the sweetness can be off-putting if you're not into that sort of thing. I drink this from time to time. (472 characters)

2.92/5  rDev +20.2%

Given to by a friend
Poured into a tulip glass, split a 24 oz with my wife

A: Lemonade yellow. No head, leaves a foamy ring. Slight lacing.

S: Margarita, sweet, tart, lemonade

T: Not bad, actually. Like an over-sweetened margarita mix. Similar to Mike's Hard Lemonade or Sangria. But this one packs a punch with the 8%.

M: Light to medium. Light carbonation.

O: Pretend it's not a beer and you won't be so offended. Like a wine cooler with more of an alcohol kick . My wife said this would appeal more to the ladies, but only if it were marketed in a bottle. The 24 oz tallboy is a man's beer. I think the high sweetness is the biggest turnoff here. (655 characters)

25 FL. OZ. can
Served in a chalice.

A - It an opaque, pale green liquid with plenty of tiny bubbles immersed in it. There is no head whatsoever.

S - It has a sour and lime aroma.

T - It tastes like an over-carbonated margarita. While I admit that I am not a margarita connoisseur, this is a similar taste experience.

M - Thin and highly carbonated.

O - I could probably do it once a year with a shot of tequila, but I will stick with shitty Mexican beer for Cinco de Mayo (and of course shots of tequila). (515 characters)

2.9/5  rDev +19.3%

Not really a beer in the traditional scent but a beer cocktail.

Cloudy light green colored beer, it looks like a pale Margarita. There is no head formation.

Smell is strongly sweet with lots of lime aroma. Scent of orange and a little tequila scent. It is supposed to smell like a Margarita and it does.

Starts out sweet and a little salty the can does say to try it over ice but I'm drinking it straight. Flavors of tequila, lime and orange. In Other words yes it tastes like a Margarita. I have had better Margaritas though.

Mouthfeel is is soda.

Overall it tastes like a Margarita, just not a great one.

It also cost just $1 so I got my Dollars worth out of it. (670 characters)

2.9/5  rDev +19.3%

Sampled tonight on 3/18/14, though I had this one about 2 years ago. Last time it was a 12-ounce bottle and tonight it was a 8 ounce can. Haven't seen it in a bottle since. Can chilled down to 36 degrees in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner flute glass.

Pours a lemonade in color with no head as well as no lacing. The aroma is pretty close to a normal margarita. The taste is close to the aroma but nothing too exciting. If I wanted a margarita, why not just have a J.C pre-mix one instead or make your own as I do, which is pretty damn good!. Overall, not real thrilled with this one, though I like their Razz-A-Rita one. (631 characters)

2.85/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

This is an 8 ounce can Bud Light Lime Lime-A-Rita 8% abv, it's poured into a St Feuillien glass and the beer gods aren't happy with me at all. Hazy yellow, it looks like somebody has a nasty urinary tract infection, fizzy white head lasts all of two seconds. Aroma smells like frozen margarita mix that comes in those tubs, a hint of lime with a bottom shelf tequila. Drinks like a carbonated margarita, I'm getting a hint of saltiness with the lime and margarita mix flavor, beer is nowhere to be found in the flavor profile. If you served this blindly to somebody on Cinco de Mayo they would just recognize it as a shitty margarita. Okay I'm no margarita connoisseur, but I'm guessing this is what a shitty margarita tastes like. After my first sip I'm not turned off so let's go for number two, okay strong lime peel action with a candy like sweetness that fades into a balanced mix of margarita mix with well hidden alcohol and a hint of salt. It is what it is, I'm not hating. I had to try it especially at the dollar price tag, so let's say this was a fresh homemade margarita with seltzer water the carbonation is what throws me of why is this margarita carbonated they are usually on the rocks or frozen in one of those adult Slurpee machines, right? It sets out what it's meant to do get females drunk, don't buy these in number, okay buy them in number and have a party and let the idiots drink outside where they will be puking salty acidic margarita mix that's carbonated all over your outdoor beer pong table. Mouthfeel is fizzy margarita mix residual sugars galore, no depth except for a fruity lime rind bitterness with a salt coating. It's actually not the worst AB experience I've had that would be by far the Chelada experiment that's still being sold on the black market. Overall I want to hate it but the demon on my left shoulder is whispering in my ear it's not that bad c'mon you pansy just finish the last 2 ounces you already took three gulps what's one more. (1,984 characters)

2.76/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

The CANQUest (TM) requires that I review all CANs and when I saw this in my neighbor's (a six-pack & bottle shop) cooler, I felt CANpelled to buy one.

From the CAN: "Try it over ice! [with a related rebus puzzle for visual learners]"

My initial Crack & Glug produced a finger-and-a-half of fizzy, bone-white head with low retention. Color was a deeply cloudy pale-yellow and it occurred to me that it must have pained the brewers not to filter and clarify the heck out of it. Nose smelled of lime, but not natural lime, more like lime candy, such as green Life Savers. I claim better living through chemistry, although the CAN reads "... with natural flavors ..." and "flavored ale", so only our hairdresser knows for sure. Mouthfeel was medium and it had a sweet-tart flavor in the mouth. I initially tasted sweet, but the tartness of the lime quickly took hold. Phew. Finish was dry and tangy. I am not sure how I feel about this one. It might be better on a hot summer's day when I would be looking to quench my thirst, but on a cold February afternoon, it just was not my cuppa tea or glass of AML for that matter. Oh well, at least the price point was like the auto commercial's point - cheap. (1,200 characters)

2.72/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Tall, slender, 24oz can with a picture of a margarita glass with a lime wedge in it. My first thought was "oh no, what have they come uo with this time?" I also thought all Bud products had a born on date on them, but I couldn't find one on this can. Still, being a brand new product, I doubt if I have to worry about a freshness date. $2.09 at Springbrook Liquors in Bloomingdale, IL.

The beer poured a cloudy lemonade color with a huge 4-finger white head, but zero lacing.

The beer smelled like a cross between lemonade and limeade.

Tastes like limeade spiked with alcohol. Not a bad flavor, and definitely not as sickening sweet as their TILT products, but not very beer-like either.

Light to medium bodied with very low carbonation. The alcohol is noticeable but not unpleasant. At least you know you're not drinking straight limeade.

Not that good as a beer, but a decent summer thirst quencher.

P.S. Since there was 24oz of it, I took half of it and put it in a blender with a shot of tequilla and a cup of crushed ice to see if I could make a decent margarita out of it. Don't try it. All you get is a diluted foamy mess. The blender turns it so foamy that it takes 20 minutes for the foam to die down so you can drink it, and then it's so diluted it doesn't taste very good. (1,289 characters)

2.68/5  rDev +10.3%

Bud Light Lime-A-Rita
Anheuser-Busch, Inc.
Style: American Malt Liquor
ABV: 8.00 %

LOOK: Pale, yellowish color but very, very pale. Looks like a margarita actually, because there is a bright white hue to the beer, and even a greenish tint to it. Looks interesting, like no beer I've ever seen before.

SMELL: Aroma of jarred limes, sweet cereal malts, tequila, and sugar. Smells like a beverage you would have with breakfast in mexico. It also, smells like a fairly distictly like a cheap Margarita.

TASTE: Sour lime, salt, cereal grains, no real respectable hop flavor. This tastes like an under salted, half way there carbonated margarita. For most styles of beer this would be an abomination. But in the malt liqour category, this scores huge. I'd go as far to say that this has an above average taste for a malt liqour, yet a well below average taste for a margarita.

FEEL: Medium bodied, loosely crisp, but well carbonated. Leaves a sour, limey taste in your mouth.

OVERALL: This is an interesting concoction. Not truely a beer, but from a malt liqour stand point, this is an upgrade. Definitely not good beer by any stretch. Still, I can see the niche for something like this. Can't make it out to the liqour store for margarita night? Don't want to keep drinking Steel Reserve? Go to your local seven eleven and pick a few of these up, 8% of pure swill hidden in a margarita costume. (1,395 characters)

2.67/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Well, I wish I hadn't been hounded so much to try this. On the other hand, I'm always up for some experimentation.

It looks like Mountain Dew, or actually with more of a radioactive-looking glow to it, so possibly more like an appletini (?). What little head there is fizzes off within moments and leaves little evidence that it was there.
This is a difficult beer to review. It's supposed to have a character particular to a beverage that is not beer, so I guess I'll just take it as it goes.
Sweet lime candy with a dustiness like I get from BLL, the nose offers a sort of salty sweetness with a bit of malt as well. There's a strong ethanolic note as well. Imagine the quality of liquor you can use to make a margarita with for, say, $2-$5, and that's what's underlying here. Still, cheap margarita is margarita and, while barely and not overly pleasant, there's a hint of the barely-beer that is Bud Light.
The taste follows suit, cheap ethanolic heat with lemon candy and dusty malts. I am impressed that they got some salt in here and that it's reasonably well managed. It's not too salty/limey/etc.
The mouthfeel seems like they're still going more for beer. It's not still and smooth, it's definitely carbonated and crisp. It's light and thin, as expected, but whatever...which summarizes my overall experience. (1,321 characters)

2.64/5  rDev +8.6%

A friend bough a case of it and I was interested because I love the margarita lime in general. I was surprise on how strong this beer is. And this beer doesn t taste like beer. Let me explain. It have a lots of artificial added sugar inside this beer its crazy. This doesn t taste beer whats so ever. This product is more for people that doesn t like the taste of the beer but like sweet stuff. This beer well if I can call it that way is for a specific type of people who doesn t like the taste of the beer but love sweet stuff. For a person who are a really beer drinker who knows how a beer is, do not ever try this product. Thats the reason I put a 2,5 out of 5 because it really depend on your taste. But this website is for people who knows the taste of a beer how it smell how it looks like and even where it comes from so I can understand the negative review on it.
So after all that, would I recommend it. I will say ........ No. Its drinkable but doesn t taste beer at all. (987 characters)

Bud Light Lime-A-Rita from Anheuser-Busch