1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bud Light Lime-A-Rita - Anheuser-Busch

Bud Light Lime-A-RitaBud Light Lime-A-Rita

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 07-06-2012)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 355 | Reviews: 47 | Show All Ratings:
longbongsilver

Missouri

I will be completely honest here: this was a random from a mix'n'match, out of pure guinea pig steez curiosity. The others I picked were already ones I reviewed & enjoyed, this is the loner, let's roll...

16oz glass fills blurry lemonade-looking yellow-white. No head whatsoever. Really, really fizzy, like a spritzer. Scent is lime (duh) plus lemon, like a stronger version of Sprite. That is a soda though, and this is a beer, so what this means is unclear. I'm not particularly hopeful, to be honest. Here goes...

Along with the lime is salt, a surprising amount of salt. Guess A-B took the "margarita w/ a twist" thing literally. I can feel my blood pressure going up with this first swig. Goes down like a thicker version of a wine cooler -- a quality I don't like even in those, let alone in something that is ostensibly supposed to still be beer, regardless of the flavor promotion.

This is a drain pour on sight. Even if someone offers you one for *free*, not only should you refuse, you should place that person on your enemies list. I wish I could give this zeros instead of ones. Never again...never again.

04-23-2013 08:13:50 | More by longbongsilver
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

So there I was, kicking back on a Monday evening, flipping in between Raw and the Stanley Cup Finals. My stomach was pretty acidic, I had been complaining that my allergies were killing me in the sinus department.

So the old lady rolls into the living room with my New Glarus taster glass, filled with a liquid that looked like it had alka seltzer in it. It was hazy white, like an aspirin decomposed in a few ounces of water, with no head on it. It looked that terrible. When I asked her what it was, she said "well you said you wanted to try it when I opened one." And then I explained I wanted to already be drunk when I tried this, not in a relaxed recovery mood from the weekend/workday.

The aroma was vaguely reminiscient of a tequila made margarita, but even though this was made with bud light, it smelled like it had 100 proof tequila in it. It was seriously gag inducing. And nothing changed with the taste, nothing even remotely resembling hops, malt or yeast. And water was a stretch. Tasted like old, stale margarita with way too much carbonation in the mouthfeel. Disgusting.

This was the worst 'beer' I have ever had. Seriously. The worst out of what is probably getting close to almost 5000 different beers.

06-25-2013 16:09:27 | More by Beerandraiderfan
BeerGutProfessional

If I could score this lower than 1.00 I would!!!! This has got to be the worst tasting stuff I think I've drank in a long time!!!! I think I could get better results pissing in a cup after drinking the best double IPA. I'm not a big fan of commercial beers (I know it's certainly not a beer, still unsure if it should be labeled a malt liquor), I'd rather drink a cup of horse piss before I bought this again!!!! Thank the Devil that I bought 2 from Balmart for $1 each!!!! Dammit I could've used the dollar bills in the strip club!!!

03-28-2014 00:52:24 | More by BeerGutProfessional
kojevergas

1.2/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1

8% ABV confirmed. 25 fl oz aluminum can acquired at a local beer store for about $2.00 and served into a Samuel Smith's conical pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are low given the brewery and this beer's current ratings. "Malt beverage with natural flavors and caramel colour added." Apparently this has over 670 kilocalories per can; that's about a quarter of my recommended daily intake.

Served cold - straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as carbonation issues are expected, but I doubt pouring lightly will help.

A: Pours a three finger wide head of white colour. Fizzy (audibly so) and thin. Retention is poor - maybe 40 seconds? Zero lacing whatsoever. No creaminess.

Body colour is a dull murky pale lemon-yellow. Translucent. Nontransparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Overall, it looks rather unattractive. Maybe like a lemon-lime soft drink.

Sm: Artificial lime syrup/extract. Stale tequila. Salt. Citric lemon-lime extract. Crystal malt. Smells like a child's lemon lime soft drink (squirt?) with a splash of crappy tequila. I think it's fair to say it smells like an overcarbonated margarita - and that's not a bad thing per se. Not getting any hop profile, yeast character, or real malts. A strong aroma that isn't great for a beer, but is passable in general. Quite unappealing for what it is, but not quite terrible. You could probably sneak some into an actual margarita and no one would notice.

T: Ugh. Sugary and salty. Crystal malts; it's fizzy as hell. Oh boy; that is not a tasty beverage by any stretch of the imagination. Lemon-lime syrup/extract. As artificial as they come. Too sweet. Stale overripe lime. A bit of salt. A bit of slightly hot tequila. Atrocious imbalance. Zero complexity and subtlety. Quite a poor beer indeed, but I suppose it could tenderize meat or help de-rust old nails? Flavour intensity is above average, to my chagrin. Flavour duration is average. Depth of flavour is nonexistent. To quote Pulp Fiction, "This is some fucked up repugnant shit."

Mf: Sticky. Wet and smooth. Unnecessarily thick and syrupy. You could work this into some kind of fruit fly trap. Above average acidity for the style. Doesn't suit the flavour profile at all. Overcarbonated.

Dr: Avoid this one. I doubt I'll finish the can just because of the calorie content; I mean 670ish? That's pushing it. Not at all drinkable. I'll cook with the remnants or use it to attract bugs. I wish I was kidding. Another garbage "brew" from Anheuser-Bitch. Wouldn't get it again, wouldn't recommend it to friends.

F

07-30-2013 05:14:09 | More by kojevergas
KYGunner

Kentucky

1.55/5  rDev -27.9%

This would appear to be an attempt to emulate a margarita in the form of a malt beverage and it did accomplish that in appearance. The nose was sour and full of artificial lime. The taste is actually offensive with an awful sour lime juice flavor, a lemon sour and a true cry for tequila. It's very carbonated and I have no idea whether it's refreshing because I poured it out.

03-21-2014 23:35:29 | More by KYGunner
MichaelNickerson

1.6/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Appearance - similar to lemonade, it pours a cloudy pale yellow with no head

Smell - best part of the beer, mainly because I love the smell of citrus, especially limes. Very acidic and fruity.

Taste - very acidic and sweet. Too sweet for my liking. Has a very sour aftertaste which makes you cringe a little.

Mouthfeel - tart and not really wanting you to have another sip. Extreme carbonation.

Overall - it's not really much of a beer since it tastes more like lime juice. Would infuse it with tequila if I ever had again, which is unlikely.

04-24-2013 15:12:05 | More by MichaelNickerson
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

1.65/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

236ml can (2 of 'em actually, procured from the remainder bin of the local chain monopoly, oh so relatively cheaply). One of few AB-Inbev products available here that aren't contract brewed at the Labatt plant in Edmonton. Yay.

This beer pours the whitest of any 'beer' that I've ever encountered, and that includes all White Ales, a sort of faint yellow tint that suggests weak-ass lemonade, in both colour and head retention - there were a few fingers or so of furiously bubbly off-white frothiness, but it evaporates like an ill-fated high school chemistry experiment, leaving zilch around the glass in terms of lace.

It smells of sugary, salted lemonade, duly tempered by moderately boozy tequila, and the faintest of non-margarita pale graininess. The taste is more rather sweet fake lemon and lime fruitiness, salted rim tequila essence, and lightly grainy, morning cereal rice and corn sweetness.

The bubbles are, as previously noted, short lived, broad in scope, and hardly noticeable after a brief spell, the body medium-light in weight, due mostly to the overall sugar 'character', and not any malty attributes, with smoothness I can get from the leftovers from the breakfast cereal. It finishes sweet, simply boozy like a freshman Yuk-a-flux, and a 7-11 lemon-lime fruitiness.

Another craptacular offering from a brewery reeling from the public's (read: less than 10 percent) rebuttal of their bland, homogenous products. Say now! Let's just blend their vacation swilling into an existing beer! Marketing, with any sort of power, sucks balls, once again. Not a real beer - margarita, possibly.

08-02-2013 01:45:52 | More by biboergosum
emerge077

1.68/5  rDev -21.9%

Inb4 ABI shill reviews... Say friend, are you too busy to mix your own margaritas? Too lazy to pour tequila and Sprite in a glass? Enjoy Four Loko? Lime-A-Rita to the rescue!

Served over ice in a big ass mug. Let the good times roll... Pale pastel greenish yellow, looks like lemonade. Fizzy at first, smells like Sprite and crushed vitamins.

Astringent lemon-lime flavor with an artificial chemical plastic aftertaste. Mmm, Flinstones vitamins. Cloying, toothache sweet. Flat carbonation, tart citrus, like straight up margarita mix dumped in some lemonade. The Bud Light is nowhere to be found... oh well. If there was only 5% beer in this i'd believe it. Not beer, this is alcopop despite the Bud Light logo on the can. Lowest common denominator junk... dumped over half of it.

07-22-2012 02:35:17 | More by emerge077
mfnmbvp

1.68/5  rDev -21.9%

16 fl oz. can, with no apparent canned on date present. I have basically zero expectations for this one. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass, for the sake of my own dignity.

A - Pours the color of a cheap watery lime juice concentrate, mixed with dirty water. Looks like some pretty foul stuff. Thin quarter inch of white fizz head disappears instantly.

S - Cheap artificial Margarita mix. Artificial lime. Has a very familiar smell to it, although I can't place it. Smells medicinal, almost like fresh band-aids and antibacterial wipes.

T - Taste follows the nose. Cheap, artificial tartness from the fake lime presence. Some alcohol warmth. More akin to a wine cooler or a Mike's Hard Lemonade style beverage. Not reminiscent of actual beer in any way.

M - Cheap. Sticky. Sour. Lime.

Overall, I can see where the market for this would exist, it would be some excellent alcohol delivery on a hot summer's day. Perfect for a scorching day at the beach, or on the boat. But besides it's high drinkability / watered down Margarita like representation, and it's high 8.00% abv, there is really no good reason to drink this. Approach with caution. Interested in hopefully trying the Bud Light Straw-ber-ita, which I have seen in stores but hasn't appeared on BeerAdvocate yet. Strange.

Anheuser-Busch Bud Light Lime-A-Rita ---1.5/5

04-02-2013 21:14:25 | More by mfnmbvp
RoamingGnome

Wisconsin

1.73/5  rDev -19.5%

Split 24 oz can with my wife. Served in pint glass over some ice.

A) Foggy looking sort of yellowish color. A bit of white foam dissolves over the ice. Does not look like beer.

S) Poured some out to check the aroma without ice. It's actually better muted over the ice. It's like a sweet and sour aroma with booze, artificial lime, and some sugar.

T) If there is beer in here, it's presence is minimal. It's mostly an artificial lime juice, with sugar and booze. Not overly sweet, but definitely margarita sweet, if I'm forced to seek out a positive. The aftertaste is poor.

M) Light body, moderate carbonation, the ice tones it down a bit, making it almost drinkable. It's pretty uncomfortable.

O) This is not beer... This was not enjoyable... Good thing my drain was thirsty.

08-27-2012 02:55:15 | More by RoamingGnome
notchucknorris

1.88/5  rDev -12.6%

A: Pours a hazy margarita color with pretty much no head. On the pour, a slight fizzy head forms but it disappears like a soda.

S: Smells exactly like margarita mix. I smell tons of artificial lime, salt and even some tequila-like booze. No trace of beer.

T: Oy, I don't know what I can really say about this one. Tastes like those cheap premixed Jose Cuervo Margaritas. I really don't get any hints of beer at all. It is what it is-basically a margarita in a can. My biggest problem with it is that the syrupy mouthfeel and insane sweetness makes it rough to drink more than a glass of.

08-01-2012 02:27:06 | More by notchucknorris
Dope

1.98/5  rDev -7.9%

A: A cloudy pale yellow pour. Small fizzy white head that fades almost instantly. Just a few specks of lacing.

S: Well, certainly smells like a lime margarita. No tequila of course.

T: Sweet lime margarita mix. Mild grainy malt mixed in. Notable alcohol too.

M: Syrupy but medium bodied.

O: Well it's about as close to a margarita you're gonna get out of a "beer". Having said that, it's not a very good beer or a very good margarita. It's not horrible though and it gets you drunk so I can't give it 1s...

12-24-2012 19:18:47 | More by Dope
sharlie

1.99/5  rDev -7.4%

This is overall my least favorite beer. Similar to the problems with the straw-ber-rita, this drink does not have many of the flavoring of beer. Overpowered by the lime flavor, these drinks do not sit well in the stomach because of all of the sugar. Would be better if had more beer involved because actual beer-rita's are delicious.

04-29-2013 12:54:20 | More by sharlie
tdm168

2.03/5  rDev -5.6%

A - hazy greenish yellow (like a margarita) with a very fizzy, white head that fades quickly

S - artificial lime--like a margarita made from powder

T - artificial lime, sugar, very(!) sweet

M - sticky, light bodied, well carbonated

Well, this is pretty close to what they wanted; margarita flavored beer. Unfortunately, it tastes artificial and it's way too sweet. I couldn't get past a few ounces. I drain poured the rest. This is a novelty and nothing else. I'll never have this again.

11-21-2012 02:37:26 | More by tdm168
jjanega08

2.05/5  rDev -4.7%

No freshness dating
Bottom of can stamped
12230 BG91

A=Pours about as light as possible without looking like water. Sort of a hazy sprite look to it with a soda like head that fizzes up and falls to nothing with no lacing on the glass. Active carbonation on the side of the glass makes it look like soda.

S= Suprisingly it smells like soda. A sierra mist sprite sort of soda comes to mind with a little touch of agave and salt.

T= The taste is again very much like a sierra mist with a little agave taste and some alcohol is present. Just about what I expected.

M= Less carbonated then I expected. It is actually less carbonated than soda.

O= This tastes like a sierra mist and vodka mixed drink. There isn't really much else to it. I actually don't see this as beer so I find it a little odd it's on he site but as a mixed drink it even sort of sucks.

10-14-2012 01:50:22 | More by jjanega08
mdaschaf

Washington

2.08/5  rDev -3.3%

Some friends had it at the beach so I decided to give it a shot..

A: A hazy light yellow color, looks like lemonade. No head ot lacing at all.

S: Very limey with some faint grains and a little bit of salt.

T: Tastes like a very sugary/sweet/fake margarita. Mostly lime in there.

M: Light to medium bodied, moderate carbonation.

O: Extremely sweet, this was an 8oz can, and I was fine to not have another one. Can't imagine how people drink the 24oz cans of this stuff.

08-24-2012 16:48:52 | More by mdaschaf
tectactoe

2.1/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

Not sure why I bothered purchasing this one. Oh well, gotta give them all a chance, I guess. Pours out a weird, jaundice shade of yellow with olive hints, like a murky Mellow Yellow or Lemon Lime Gatorade. Head is a nearly non-existent dusting of white foam that pops and fizzes as it dissipates into thin air almost immediately. Nose is subdued, smells a little like lime, fruit, and a typically sweet and sour type margarita mix. Mouth feel is thin, the exuberant amount of carbonation strips the initial taste away from the palate. Lime, margarita mix, sweet & sour mixers, a touch of warm alcohol, and a slight fading bitterness. Intense sugary sweetness nearly all the way through, along with a tartness that starts to push things overboard. And that's about it. Really, I can't be too surprised here - I mean, what exactly was I expecting?

By no means is this an awful tasting product. It wasn't undrinkable or gross or anything like that. It just wasn't very good, and it was far too sweet to enjoy the entire tall-boy I purchase. How much sugar is in this thing? I'd prefer this to a regular Bug Light, but not by much. Neither of them really resemble a beer, but at least this has some sort of flavor to it.

01-24-2013 15:56:42 | More by tectactoe
kilustration

2.1/5  rDev -2.3%

Saw this and said what the hay and made the purchase.
12 8oz cans - served over ice as per package.

A: Gatorade yellow. Quick fizz leaves slight lace.

S: Margarita, lemon.

T: VERY SWEET and artificial

M: Sugary no carbonation.

O: It is not awful if you remember it is NOT beer. 8% AC so can pack a punch if you drink many; although this is difficult due to the high sweetness . Different.

10-21-2012 05:48:48 | More by kilustration
Boggdogg

2.1/5  rDev -2.3%

This is not a beer. It does taste good but not in a beer kind of way. It is more like a weak margarita. Which is what they wer going for I guess but I would not buy this for myself or any beer lover. Had a can given to me so I had to rate it. Very sweet no bitterness no spice no beer flavor.

Serving type: nitro-can

10-29-2013 02:46:35 | More by Boggdogg
Iuseryoucpu

Tennessee

2.11/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

The alcohol is overpowering not to say the limes not their because it is just not enough.The smell is also very strong and for the price you can buy a 4loco or Jose which has as much alcohol and it tastes better. It is hard for me to recommend this drink i am not sure it is worth a try.

12-05-2013 03:44:11 | More by Iuseryoucpu
GossageBrewery

Missouri

2.15/5  rDev 0%

Poured this can of malt liquor into a pint glass. Poured a hazy straw color, produced little head, and left no lacing on the glass. The pour reminded me of pouring a soda. The aroma smells of tequilla, agave and ...margarita...Lots of artificial lime flavor. Medium in body, over sweet, tastes like no beer I have ever had....probably because it really isn't beer. Syrupy mouthfeel- I could only choke down a couple of these cans. Glad i tired it, even glader that it's gone.

08-07-2012 00:01:07 | More by GossageBrewery
Pegasus

2.25/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Appearance: Hazy light yellowing color, rather like grapefruit juice, with a small white head which soon fades to oblivion. The carbonation is robust and fast-rising, the lacing slight.

Aroma: The aroma is very similar to a wine cooler: aggressively sweet, and candy-like, reminiscent of Seven-Up soda with a twist of lime, but completely over-the-top. There is a faint whiff of alcohol in the aroma.

Taste Opens with a wave of intense sweet and sour flavors, like candied grapefruit. Soon after the alcohol asserts itself strongly, with a noticeable warming sensation. The alcohol has a vodka-like characteristic, with no notable complexity. As the taste progresses, a flavor similar to Sweet-Tarts (r) manifests itself, and largely carries the taste to a close. A little grapefruit rind bitterness brings the taste to a close.

Mouth feel: Thin, with a bit of aggressive carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Not very beer-like, but, in all fairness, Bud Light Lime-A-Rita is not that bad if you know what to expect. It makes for a refreshing, cheap, and easy summer buzz.

Presentation: Packaged in a twenty-four ounce aluminum can, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

Sourcing: Purchased at HEB in Texas in May of 2013 for $2.59 for a twenty-four ounce can.

06-04-2013 01:43:20 | More by Pegasus
dbrauneis

2.34/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

A: Pours a hazy pale yellow in color with moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some straw yellow + lemon yellow highlights. The beer has a finger tall bright white dense head that reduces to a very thin film covering the entire surface of the beer with a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of sweetened lime juice (similar to margarita mix), a touch of salt, and a touch of artificial sweetness.

T: Upfront there is a pretty intense (moderate to strong) flavors of sweetened lime juice, margarita mix, and just a touch of salt. Then the flavors turn more tart like limeade. It seems to get even sweeter as the beer warms up.

M: Light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. There is a slightly puckering tartness.

O: The alcohol flavors are well hidden by the sweetness so this beer is pretty easy to drink (especially for a Malt Liquor). The lime flavors really dominate any flavor that you would get from the underlying Bud LIght but that is not too surprising as the flavors are almost not present in the beer.

07-06-2013 21:01:39 | More by dbrauneis
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.35/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Can: Poured a lemonade color looking drink with ton of fake lime. Taste is not that far off Margueritas and not even close to beer. I can see this drink working for a certain crowd but I am not really sure it has very much to do with beer at the end of the day.

07-15-2013 20:20:14 | More by Phyl21ca
BeerFMAndy

Wisconsin

2.43/5  rDev +13%

24 oz can poured over ice into a margarita glass.
8% ABV, 330 calories.

A - Bud Light Lime-A-Rita pours with the classic overly carbonated effervescent fizz that hisses like a snake warning you, "get away". Like the Crocodile Hunter, I press on, testing my luck. The thin skim of off-white foam disappears just as quickly as it came leaving a few ice cubes, which the can suggests drinking it with, floating lazily in the muted green colored malt liquor. Hey, it looks like a margarita!

S - The fizz gives away a clue into this beer though; strong malt liquor, grainy, cheap malt, adjuncts abound, and a sugary, margarita mix-like finish. It's just about what I expected and since this is pushed more as a margarita than a beer, it's not awful.

T - I'd keep the fruit at bay with this one; the lime flavor of Bud Light Lime is certainly apparent, but the grainy maltiness really pops too, unfortunately leaving little room for margarita flavor, which I had hoped would be the showcase. Instead, it tastes more or less like a splash of margarita mix, sans the Tequila, in a strong malt liquor. It becomes more and more of a chore with each passing sip.

M - Both sweet and salty dominate the palate also removing the necessity of dipping the glass in salt, just like the lime garnish. In fact, the mouthfeel is almost to the point of being cloying. Carbonation does liven up the feel for a good twist on a margarita though. The finish is sharp with a warming booze and lingering, lip-smacking flavor.

O - I'm a huge margarita fan. I almost drowned myself in them in Mexico, so believe me when I say I had mixed emotions going into this. One one hand, I hate Bud Light (and the Lime version) on the other hand, from all angles, this looks more like a canned margarita with some Bud Light Lime added instead of the other way around. Well, it didn't fall to the incredibly low expectations I had going in, but it's also not great.

Bud Light Lime-A-Rita will appeal to the masses looking for a malternative beverage that touts 8% ABV and most will find comfort in it's blend of standard margarita mix flavor and basic malt liquor kick. I suppose, when all is said and done, Bud Light Lime-A-Rita has it's place.

07-06-2012 22:37:25 | More by BeerFMAndy