Bud Light Lime-A-Rita - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 07-06-2012

So there I was, kicking back on a Monday evening, flipping in between Raw and the Stanley Cup Finals. My stomach was pretty acidic, I had been complaining that my allergies were killing me in the sinus department.

So the old lady rolls into the living room with my New Glarus taster glass, filled with a liquid that looked like it had alka seltzer in it. It was hazy white, like an aspirin decomposed in a few ounces of water, with no head on it. It looked that terrible. When I asked her what it was, she said "well you said you wanted to try it when I opened one." And then I explained I wanted to already be drunk when I tried this, not in a relaxed recovery mood from the weekend/workday.

The aroma was vaguely reminiscient of a tequila made margarita, but even though this was made with bud light, it smelled like it had 100 proof tequila in it. It was seriously gag inducing. And nothing changed with the taste, nothing even remotely resembling hops, malt or yeast. And water was a stretch. Tasted like old, stale margarita with way too much carbonation in the mouthfeel. Disgusting.

This was the worst 'beer' I have ever had. Seriously. The worst out of what is probably getting close to almost 5000 different beers.

Sickly, sticky sweet, carbonated lime syrup.

Will not revisit again. Do yourself a favor, go make yourself a proper margarita. Not this artificial whatever the hell this is.

I will be completely honest here: this was a random from a mix'n'match, out of pure guinea pig steez curiosity. The others I picked were already ones I reviewed & enjoyed, this is the loner, let's roll...

16oz glass fills blurry lemonade-looking yellow-white. No head whatsoever. Really, really fizzy, like a spritzer. Scent is lime (duh) plus lemon, like a stronger version of Sprite. That is a soda though, and this is a beer, so what this means is unclear. I'm not particularly hopeful, to be honest. Here goes...

Along with the lime is salt, a surprising amount of salt. Guess A-B took the "margarita w/ a twist" thing literally. I can feel my blood pressure going up with this first swig. Goes down like a thicker version of a wine cooler -- a quality I don't like even in those, let alone in something that is ostensibly supposed to still be beer, regardless of the flavor promotion.

This is a drain pour on sight. Even if someone offers you one for *free*, not only should you refuse, you should place that person on your enemies list. I wish I could give this zeros instead of ones. Never again...never again.

Hallow be thy name. This looks like lime and alka seltzer. Smells like garbage and tequila, total bottom shelf stuff.

Taste was vile, how do people drink this? How is this a beer? Nothing in terms of hops, malt, or yeast. Some water. So much carbonation.

Possibly the worst 'beer' I have ever had the unfortunate experience of coming across.

One of ugliest human beings of all time brings this to me. The liquid looked like it had alka seltzer in it. A hazy green and white, aspirin decanted and dumped into a solution, no head on it. Turrible. Disgusting gaped out girl is like 'you said you wanted to try it.' Funny, you say that to all the guys.

I explained I figured I'd already be hammered when I tried it, not in a recovery period from the previous weekend.

Aroma of bad tequila margarita. Smelled like it was as strong as shine. Wanted to vomit smelling it. Tasting it. Thinking of it. So much carbonation, like Bud Light. The worst.

If I could score this lower than 1.00 I would!!!! This has got to be the worst tasting stuff I think I've drank in a long time!!!! I think I could get better results pissing in a cup after drinking the best double IPA. I'm not a big fan of commercial beers (I know it's certainly not a beer, still unsure if it should be labeled a malt liquor), I'd rather drink a cup of horse piss before I bought this again!!!! Thank the Devil that I bought 2 from Balmart for $1 each!!!! Dammit I could've used the dollar bills in the strip club!!!

1.2/5  rDev -48.5%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

Poured from a giant 25oz can into a pint glass. God help me if I decide to finish it. I'm on a masochistic plan to try each of the 'ritas offered by Bud Light Lime. I've already got a headache from the 4oz of Straw-Ber-Rita that I just had.

Appearance: looks like limeade or lemonade. It does not, however, look like beer. I am not giving it a straight 1 because, theoretically, if a beer looked like a glass of water it could be technically worse and I want to reserve my 1 for that.

Smell: definitely limey, but limey in a way that reminds me of being sick after a Cinco de Mayo party. I am dreading the "taste" portion of this review already.

Taste: this combines artificial lime, Bud Light, and memories of cheap silver tequila. I am not kidding. I thought I might be able to drink at least a few ounces of this, but I am reevaluating this assessment.

Mouthfeel: virtually no body and very fizzy. Kind of like a soda.

Overall: this almost could not be formulated to appeal to me less.

1.21/5  rDev -48.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1

8% ABV confirmed. 25 fl oz aluminum can acquired at a local beer store for about $2.00 and served into a Samuel Smith's conical pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are low given the brewery and this beer's current ratings. "Malt beverage with natural flavors and caramel colour added." Apparently this has over 670 kilocalories per can; that's about a quarter of my recommended daily intake.

Served cold - straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as carbonation issues are expected, but I doubt pouring lightly will help.

A: Pours a three finger wide head of white colour. Fizzy (audibly so) and thin. Retention is poor - maybe 40 seconds? Zero lacing whatsoever. No creaminess.

Body colour is a dull murky pale lemon-yellow. Translucent. Nontransparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Overall, it looks rather unattractive. Maybe like a lemon-lime soft drink.

Sm: Artificial lime syrup/extract. Stale tequila. Salt. Citric lemon-lime extract. Crystal malt. Smells like a child's lemon lime soft drink (squirt?) with a splash of crappy tequila. I think it's fair to say it smells like an overcarbonated margarita - and that's not a bad thing per se. Not getting any hop profile, yeast character, or real malts. A strong aroma that isn't great for a beer, but is passable in general. Quite unappealing for what it is, but not quite terrible. You could probably sneak some into an actual margarita and no one would notice.

T: Ugh. Sugary and salty. Crystal malts; it's fizzy as hell. Oh boy; that is not a tasty beverage by any stretch of the imagination. Lemon-lime syrup/extract. As artificial as they come. Too sweet. Stale overripe lime. A bit of salt. A bit of slightly hot tequila. Atrocious imbalance. Zero complexity and subtlety. Quite a poor beer indeed, but I suppose it could tenderize meat or help de-rust old nails? Flavour intensity is above average, to my chagrin. Flavour duration is average. Depth of flavour is nonexistent. To quote Pulp Fiction, "This is some fucked up repugnant shit."

Mf: Sticky. Wet and smooth. Unnecessarily thick and syrupy. You could work this into some kind of fruit fly trap. Above average acidity for the style. Doesn't suit the flavour profile at all. Overcarbonated.

Dr: Avoid this one. I doubt I'll finish the can just because of the calorie content; I mean 670ish? That's pushing it. Not at all drinkable. I'll cook with the remnants or use it to attract bugs. I wish I was kidding. Another garbage "brew" from Anheuser-Bitch. Wouldn't get it again, wouldn't recommend it to friends.

1.47/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Poured from an 8 OZ can into a pint glass.
Aroma- Smells of artificial lime (in a gad way) and no aroma of any normal beer ingredients.
Appearance- A very odd yellow color that looks more like a soda than beer.
Taste- WOW, not good at all, in fact I can't drink all of the 8 OZ serving.
Palate- highly carbonated, finishes dry
Overall: Terrible, avoid at all costs.

1.47/5  rDev -36.9%

Miniature little 8 oz can, but I'm sure it packs a wallop. I poured it just for laughs.

Appearance (1) : No head. Just looks like pear soda. Opaque and you can't see anything through it.

Aroma (1.5) : Fermented limes at the bottom of the crisper drawer. Malty lemon-lime soda, Alka-Seltzer, and roughly like a lime Smirnoff Ice.

Taste (1.25) : Is this supposed to be for consumption? Heavy malt alcohol mixed with sour lime powder and pure cane sugar. This is by far the worst of the series.

Mouthfeel (1.75) : It's easy drinking but beyond that it's carbonated and smooth (from the malt).

Overall (1.47) : This is like someone mixed King Cobra with lime soda and sugar. Yeah, that concoction would be a hit at parties and probably get you A+ status, but in a can from a large scale brewery? What an utter fail.

1.61/5  rDev -30.9%

This would appear to be an attempt to emulate a margarita in the form of a malt beverage and it did accomplish that in appearance. The nose was sour and full of artificial lime. The taste is actually offensive with an awful sour lime juice flavor, a lemon sour and a true cry for tequila. It's very carbonated and I have no idea whether it's refreshing because I poured it out.

1.63/5  rDev -30%

16 fl oz. can, with no apparent canned on date present. I have basically zero expectations for this one. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass, for the sake of my own dignity.

A - Pours the color of a cheap watery lime juice concentrate, mixed with dirty water. Looks like some pretty foul stuff. Thin quarter inch of white fizz head disappears instantly.

S - Cheap artificial Margarita mix. Artificial lime. Has a very familiar smell to it, although I can't place it. Smells medicinal, almost like fresh band-aids and antibacterial wipes.

T - Taste follows the nose. Cheap, artificial tartness from the fake lime presence. Some alcohol warmth. More akin to a wine cooler or a Mike's Hard Lemonade style beverage. Not reminiscent of actual beer in any way.

M - Cheap. Sticky. Sour. Lime.

Overall, I can see where the market for this would exist, it would be some excellent alcohol delivery on a hot summer's day. Perfect for a scorching day at the beach, or on the boat. But besides it's high drinkability / watered down Margarita like representation, and it's high 8.00% abv, there is really no good reason to drink this. Approach with caution. Interested in hopefully trying the Bud Light Straw-ber-ita, which I have seen in stores but hasn't appeared on BeerAdvocate yet. Strange.

Anheuser-Busch Bud Light Lime-A-Rita ---1.5/5

1.65/5  rDev -29.2%

Inb4 ABI shill reviews... Say friend, are you too busy to mix your own margaritas? Too lazy to pour tequila and Sprite in a glass? Enjoy Four Loko? Lime-A-Rita to the rescue!

Served over ice in a big ass mug. Let the good times roll... Pale pastel greenish yellow, looks like lemonade. Fizzy at first, smells like Sprite and crushed vitamins.

Astringent lemon-lime flavor with an artificial chemical plastic aftertaste. Mmm, Flinstones vitamins. Cloying, toothache sweet. Flat carbonation, tart citrus, like straight up margarita mix dumped in some lemonade. The Bud Light is nowhere to be found... oh well. If there was only 5% beer in this i'd believe it. Not beer, this is alcopop despite the Bud Light logo on the can. Lowest common denominator junk... dumped over half of it.

1.66/5  rDev -28.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

236ml can (2 of 'em actually, procured from the remainder bin of the local chain monopoly, oh so relatively cheaply). One of few AB-Inbev products available here that aren't contract brewed at the Labatt plant in Edmonton. Yay.

This beer pours the whitest of any 'beer' that I've ever encountered, and that includes all White Ales, a sort of faint yellow tint that suggests weak-ass lemonade, in both colour and head retention - there were a few fingers or so of furiously bubbly off-white frothiness, but it evaporates like an ill-fated high school chemistry experiment, leaving zilch around the glass in terms of lace.

It smells of sugary, salted lemonade, duly tempered by moderately boozy tequila, and the faintest of non-margarita pale graininess. The taste is more rather sweet fake lemon and lime fruitiness, salted rim tequila essence, and lightly grainy, morning cereal rice and corn sweetness.

The bubbles are, as previously noted, short lived, broad in scope, and hardly noticeable after a brief spell, the body medium-light in weight, due mostly to the overall sugar 'character', and not any malty attributes, with smoothness I can get from the leftovers from the breakfast cereal. It finishes sweet, simply boozy like a freshman Yuk-a-flux, and a 7-11 lemon-lime fruitiness.

Another craptacular offering from a brewery reeling from the public's (read: less than 10 percent) rebuttal of their bland, homogenous products. Say now! Let's just blend their vacation swilling into an existing beer! Marketing, with any sort of power, sucks balls, once again. Not a real beer - margarita, possibly.

1.67/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 1 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

8oz can poured into a pint glass

A- pours a pale watered down yellowish-white color with no head or lacing at all, pretty much as unattractive as a beer can be

S- cheap watered down tequila and lime, soapy dishwater, salt, sugary artificial margarita mix

T- sprite with lime juice and alcohol, that's about it

M- watery mouthfeel with a light spritz carbonation leads to a foamy and watery finish

O- this isn't beer, it;s basically a wine cooler, and a bad one at that

1.67/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Appearance - similar to lemonade, it pours a cloudy pale yellow with no head

Smell - best part of the beer, mainly because I love the smell of citrus, especially limes. Very acidic and fruity.

Taste - very acidic and sweet. Too sweet for my liking. Has a very sour aftertaste which makes you cringe a little.

Mouthfeel - tart and not really wanting you to have another sip. Extreme carbonation.

Overall - it's not really much of a beer since it tastes more like lime juice. Would infuse it with tequila if I ever had again, which is unlikely.

1.69/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Seriously awful stuff. There's a touch of lime up front, followed by the terrible flavor of Bud Light fighting for breathing room, and finished with a kiss of the world's worst tequila.

At 8%, this clearly exists only to get college students drunk fast and on the cheap. This barely qualifies as a beer, and certainly ranks near the top of the list of brews you should never put into your mouth.

1.75/5  rDev -24.9%

Split 24 oz can with my wife. Served in pint glass over some ice.

A) Foggy looking sort of yellowish color. A bit of white foam dissolves over the ice. Does not look like beer.

S) Poured some out to check the aroma without ice. It's actually better muted over the ice. It's like a sweet and sour aroma with booze, artificial lime, and some sugar.

T) If there is beer in here, it's presence is minimal. It's mostly an artificial lime juice, with sugar and booze. Not overly sweet, but definitely margarita sweet, if I'm forced to seek out a positive. The aftertaste is poor.

M) Light body, moderate carbonation, the ice tones it down a bit, making it almost drinkable. It's pretty uncomfortable.

O) This is not beer... This was not enjoyable... Good thing my drain was thirsty.

1.87/5  rDev -19.7%

A: Pours a hazy margarita color with pretty much no head. On the pour, a slight fizzy head forms but it disappears like a soda.

S: Smells exactly like margarita mix. I smell tons of artificial lime, salt and even some tequila-like booze. No trace of beer.

T: Oy, I don't know what I can really say about this one. Tastes like those cheap premixed Jose Cuervo Margaritas. I really don't get any hints of beer at all. It is what it is-basically a margarita in a can. My biggest problem with it is that the syrupy mouthfeel and insane sweetness makes it rough to drink more than a glass of.

1.96/5  rDev -15.9%

Sickly sweet, cavity inducing twanging sweetness. Wanna get messed up, drink these beers. If you are looking for flavor and goodness, seek salvation other where.

2.02/5  rDev -13.3%

This is overall my least favorite beer. Similar to the problems with the straw-ber-rita, this drink does not have many of the flavoring of beer. Overpowered by the lime flavor, these drinks do not sit well in the stomach because of all of the sugar. Would be better if had more beer involved because actual beer-rita's are delicious.

2.02/5  rDev -13.3%

Best out of the bunch although I still wasn't a fan. At least with the original there are some salt and real Margarita flavors instead of just a sugar overload. The appearance was greenish yellow with a smell of lime. The taste was sugary but more authentic than the other blank-a-rita's. The mouthfeel was also better than expected and not too overly thick.

2.04/5  rDev -12.4%

From the 25 fl. oz. can marked 140730-BK09. Sampled on May 15, 2014 when it was 75 and slight humid outside. Straight up with no ice (as they recommend).

Odd looking lime juice-yellow mash up with no head to speak of. Rather opaque.

Aroma is virtually all lime and lime juice with the vaguest hint of barley malt if I close my eyes and wince.

OK, I will give it an average grade for body because as far as the style goes - it is meant to be light and refreshing and that is the case.

The taste is like the aroma...lots and lots of lime. Bring on some burritos, refried beans, and rice and I'll have a feast.

2.04/5  rDev -12.4%

A: A cloudy pale yellow pour. Small fizzy white head that fades almost instantly. Just a few specks of lacing.

S: Well, certainly smells like a lime margarita. No tequila of course.

T: Sweet lime margarita mix. Mild grainy malt mixed in. Notable alcohol too.

M: Syrupy but medium bodied.

O: Well it's about as close to a margarita you're gonna get out of a "beer". Having said that, it's not a very good beer or a very good margarita. It's not horrible though and it gets you drunk so I can't give it 1s...

2.05/5  rDev -12%

No freshness dating
Bottom of can stamped
12230 BG91

A=Pours about as light as possible without looking like water. Sort of a hazy sprite look to it with a soda like head that fizzes up and falls to nothing with no lacing on the glass. Active carbonation on the side of the glass makes it look like soda.

S= Suprisingly it smells like soda. A sierra mist sprite sort of soda comes to mind with a little touch of agave and salt.

T= The taste is again very much like a sierra mist with a little agave taste and some alcohol is present. Just about what I expected.

M= Less carbonated then I expected. It is actually less carbonated than soda.

O= This tastes like a sierra mist and vodka mixed drink. There isn't really much else to it. I actually don't see this as beer so I find it a little odd it's on he site but as a mixed drink it even sort of sucks.

Bud Light Lime-A-Rita from Anheuser-Busch