1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bud Light Lime-A-Rita - Anheuser-Busch

Bud Light Lime-A-RitaBud Light Lime-A-Rita

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Malt Liquor |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerFMAndy on 07-06-2012)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 357 | Reviews: 47 | Show All Ratings:
BeerGutProfessional

If I could score this lower than 1.00 I would!!!! This has got to be the worst tasting stuff I think I've drank in a long time!!!! I think I could get better results pissing in a cup after drinking the best double IPA. I'm not a big fan of commercial beers (I know it's certainly not a beer, still unsure if it should be labeled a malt liquor), I'd rather drink a cup of horse piss before I bought this again!!!! Thank the Devil that I bought 2 from Balmart for $1 each!!!! Dammit I could've used the dollar bills in the strip club!!!

03-28-2014 00:52:24 | More by BeerGutProfessional
KYGunner

Kentucky

1.55/5  rDev -27.9%

This would appear to be an attempt to emulate a margarita in the form of a malt beverage and it did accomplish that in appearance. The nose was sour and full of artificial lime. The taste is actually offensive with an awful sour lime juice flavor, a lemon sour and a true cry for tequila. It's very carbonated and I have no idea whether it's refreshing because I poured it out.

03-21-2014 23:35:29 | More by KYGunner
BeerWithMike

Nebraska

2.89/5  rDev +34.4%

Sampled tonight on 3/18/14, though I had this one about 2 years ago. Last time it was a 12-ounce bottle and tonight it was a 8 ounce can. Haven't seen it in a bottle since. Can chilled down to 36 degrees in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner flute glass.

Pours a lemonade in color with no head as well as no lacing. The aroma is pretty close to a normal margarita. The taste is close to the aroma but nothing too exciting. If I wanted a margarita, why not just have a J.C pre-mix one instead or make your own as I do, which is pretty damn good!. Overall, not real thrilled with this one, though I like their Razz-A-Rita one.

03-19-2014 02:56:22 | More by BeerWithMike
a0lbudman

Alabama

3.11/5  rDev +44.7%

A-white with a large white head that faded fast
S- like a margarita
T-like a margarita
M-light body and medium carbonation
O-if you like beer well this is not what you want. If you like margaritas this would be great. Of course you could be like me and like both, but not on this site

01-14-2014 03:39:21 | More by a0lbudman
Brenden

2.69/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Well, I wish I hadn't been hounded so much to try this. On the other hand, I'm always up for some experimentation.

It looks like Mountain Dew, or actually with more of a radioactive-looking glow to it, so possibly more like an appletini (?). What little head there is fizzes off within moments and leaves little evidence that it was there.
This is a difficult beer to review. It's supposed to have a character particular to a beverage that is not beer, so I guess I'll just take it as it goes.
Sweet lime candy with a dustiness like I get from BLL, the nose offers a sort of salty sweetness with a bit of malt as well. There's a strong ethanolic note as well. Imagine the quality of liquor you can use to make a margarita with for, say, $2-$5, and that's what's underlying here. Still, cheap margarita is margarita and, while barely and not overly pleasant, there's a hint of the barely-beer that is Bud Light.
The taste follows suit, cheap ethanolic heat with lemon candy and dusty malts. I am impressed that they got some salt in here and that it's reasonably well managed. It's not too salty/limey/etc.
The mouthfeel seems like they're still going more for beer. It's not still and smooth, it's definitely carbonated and crisp. It's light and thin, as expected, but whatever...which summarizes my overall experience.

12-18-2013 20:33:36 | More by Brenden
Iuseryoucpu

Tennessee

2.11/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2

The alcohol is overpowering not to say the limes not their because it is just not enough.The smell is also very strong and for the price you can buy a 4loco or Jose which has as much alcohol and it tastes better. It is hard for me to recommend this drink i am not sure it is worth a try.

12-05-2013 03:44:11 | More by Iuseryoucpu
apu1

Maryland

3.23/5  rDev +50.2%

I decided to try this just now too and aside from the nice 8% ABV, the taste is actually quite nice. I'm not sure what changed my mind. The alcohol is still a bit overpowering but the lime seems to mellow it out more than I thought. It's also still a little hard to get down though but definitely different than when I wrote this review earlier.

09-14-2013 02:31:31 | More by apu1
biboergosum

Alberta (Canada)

1.65/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

236ml can (2 of 'em actually, procured from the remainder bin of the local chain monopoly, oh so relatively cheaply). One of few AB-Inbev products available here that aren't contract brewed at the Labatt plant in Edmonton. Yay.

This beer pours the whitest of any 'beer' that I've ever encountered, and that includes all White Ales, a sort of faint yellow tint that suggests weak-ass lemonade, in both colour and head retention - there were a few fingers or so of furiously bubbly off-white frothiness, but it evaporates like an ill-fated high school chemistry experiment, leaving zilch around the glass in terms of lace.

It smells of sugary, salted lemonade, duly tempered by moderately boozy tequila, and the faintest of non-margarita pale graininess. The taste is more rather sweet fake lemon and lime fruitiness, salted rim tequila essence, and lightly grainy, morning cereal rice and corn sweetness.

The bubbles are, as previously noted, short lived, broad in scope, and hardly noticeable after a brief spell, the body medium-light in weight, due mostly to the overall sugar 'character', and not any malty attributes, with smoothness I can get from the leftovers from the breakfast cereal. It finishes sweet, simply boozy like a freshman Yuk-a-flux, and a 7-11 lemon-lime fruitiness.

Another craptacular offering from a brewery reeling from the public's (read: less than 10 percent) rebuttal of their bland, homogenous products. Say now! Let's just blend their vacation swilling into an existing beer! Marketing, with any sort of power, sucks balls, once again. Not a real beer - margarita, possibly.

08-02-2013 01:45:52 | More by biboergosum
kojevergas

1.2/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1

8% ABV confirmed. 25 fl oz aluminum can acquired at a local beer store for about $2.00 and served into a Samuel Smith's conical pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are low given the brewery and this beer's current ratings. "Malt beverage with natural flavors and caramel colour added." Apparently this has over 670 kilocalories per can; that's about a quarter of my recommended daily intake.

Served cold - straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as carbonation issues are expected, but I doubt pouring lightly will help.

A: Pours a three finger wide head of white colour. Fizzy (audibly so) and thin. Retention is poor - maybe 40 seconds? Zero lacing whatsoever. No creaminess.

Body colour is a dull murky pale lemon-yellow. Translucent. Nontransparent. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Overall, it looks rather unattractive. Maybe like a lemon-lime soft drink.

Sm: Artificial lime syrup/extract. Stale tequila. Salt. Citric lemon-lime extract. Crystal malt. Smells like a child's lemon lime soft drink (squirt?) with a splash of crappy tequila. I think it's fair to say it smells like an overcarbonated margarita - and that's not a bad thing per se. Not getting any hop profile, yeast character, or real malts. A strong aroma that isn't great for a beer, but is passable in general. Quite unappealing for what it is, but not quite terrible. You could probably sneak some into an actual margarita and no one would notice.

T: Ugh. Sugary and salty. Crystal malts; it's fizzy as hell. Oh boy; that is not a tasty beverage by any stretch of the imagination. Lemon-lime syrup/extract. As artificial as they come. Too sweet. Stale overripe lime. A bit of salt. A bit of slightly hot tequila. Atrocious imbalance. Zero complexity and subtlety. Quite a poor beer indeed, but I suppose it could tenderize meat or help de-rust old nails? Flavour intensity is above average, to my chagrin. Flavour duration is average. Depth of flavour is nonexistent. To quote Pulp Fiction, "This is some fucked up repugnant shit."

Mf: Sticky. Wet and smooth. Unnecessarily thick and syrupy. You could work this into some kind of fruit fly trap. Above average acidity for the style. Doesn't suit the flavour profile at all. Overcarbonated.

Dr: Avoid this one. I doubt I'll finish the can just because of the calorie content; I mean 670ish? That's pushing it. Not at all drinkable. I'll cook with the remnants or use it to attract bugs. I wish I was kidding. Another garbage "brew" from Anheuser-Bitch. Wouldn't get it again, wouldn't recommend it to friends.

F

07-30-2013 05:14:09 | More by kojevergas
dbrauneis

2.34/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

A: Pours a hazy pale yellow in color with moderate amounts of visible carbonation and some straw yellow + lemon yellow highlights. The beer has a finger tall bright white dense head that reduces to a very thin film covering the entire surface of the beer with a medium thick ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of sweetened lime juice (similar to margarita mix), a touch of salt, and a touch of artificial sweetness.

T: Upfront there is a pretty intense (moderate to strong) flavors of sweetened lime juice, margarita mix, and just a touch of salt. Then the flavors turn more tart like limeade. It seems to get even sweeter as the beer warms up.

M: Light bodied with moderate to heavy amounts of carbonation. There is a slightly puckering tartness.

O: The alcohol flavors are well hidden by the sweetness so this beer is pretty easy to drink (especially for a Malt Liquor). The lime flavors really dominate any flavor that you would get from the underlying Bud LIght but that is not too surprising as the flavors are almost not present in the beer.

07-06-2013 21:01:39 | More by dbrauneis
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

So there I was, kicking back on a Monday evening, flipping in between Raw and the Stanley Cup Finals. My stomach was pretty acidic, I had been complaining that my allergies were killing me in the sinus department.

So the old lady rolls into the living room with my New Glarus taster glass, filled with a liquid that looked like it had alka seltzer in it. It was hazy white, like an aspirin decomposed in a few ounces of water, with no head on it. It looked that terrible. When I asked her what it was, she said "well you said you wanted to try it when I opened one." And then I explained I wanted to already be drunk when I tried this, not in a relaxed recovery mood from the weekend/workday.

The aroma was vaguely reminiscient of a tequila made margarita, but even though this was made with bud light, it smelled like it had 100 proof tequila in it. It was seriously gag inducing. And nothing changed with the taste, nothing even remotely resembling hops, malt or yeast. And water was a stretch. Tasted like old, stale margarita with way too much carbonation in the mouthfeel. Disgusting.

This was the worst 'beer' I have ever had. Seriously. The worst out of what is probably getting close to almost 5000 different beers.

06-25-2013 16:09:27 | More by Beerandraiderfan
1Adam12

Indiana

4.43/5  rDev +106%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

First off, there are some people on here that are entirely too snobby. This tastes like what it is intended to be. It's very light, limey, and refreshing. Like, instant margarita in a can. More carbonated than I was expecting, but it worked. I hate bud light as much as the next person, but I won't knock this just based on the fact that it was made by AB. If this had been made by FFF, people might very well be raving about it. Does it taste like beer? No. Does it taste good, and is it extremely refreshing? Absolutely.

06-07-2013 00:50:08 | More by 1Adam12
Pegasus

2.25/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Appearance: Hazy light yellowing color, rather like grapefruit juice, with a small white head which soon fades to oblivion. The carbonation is robust and fast-rising, the lacing slight.

Aroma: The aroma is very similar to a wine cooler: aggressively sweet, and candy-like, reminiscent of Seven-Up soda with a twist of lime, but completely over-the-top. There is a faint whiff of alcohol in the aroma.

Taste Opens with a wave of intense sweet and sour flavors, like candied grapefruit. Soon after the alcohol asserts itself strongly, with a noticeable warming sensation. The alcohol has a vodka-like characteristic, with no notable complexity. As the taste progresses, a flavor similar to Sweet-Tarts (r) manifests itself, and largely carries the taste to a close. A little grapefruit rind bitterness brings the taste to a close.

Mouth feel: Thin, with a bit of aggressive carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Not very beer-like, but, in all fairness, Bud Light Lime-A-Rita is not that bad if you know what to expect. It makes for a refreshing, cheap, and easy summer buzz.

Presentation: Packaged in a twenty-four ounce aluminum can, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

Sourcing: Purchased at HEB in Texas in May of 2013 for $2.59 for a twenty-four ounce can.

06-04-2013 01:43:20 | More by Pegasus
WVbeergeek

2.85/5  rDev +32.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

This is an 8 ounce can Bud Light Lime Lime-A-Rita 8% abv, it's poured into a St Feuillien glass and the beer gods aren't happy with me at all. Hazy yellow, it looks like somebody has a nasty urinary tract infection, fizzy white head lasts all of two seconds. Aroma smells like frozen margarita mix that comes in those tubs, a hint of lime with a bottom shelf tequila. Drinks like a carbonated margarita, I'm getting a hint of saltiness with the lime and margarita mix flavor, beer is nowhere to be found in the flavor profile. If you served this blindly to somebody on Cinco de Mayo they would just recognize it as a shitty margarita. Okay I'm no margarita connoisseur, but I'm guessing this is what a shitty margarita tastes like. After my first sip I'm not turned off so let's go for number two, okay strong lime peel action with a candy like sweetness that fades into a balanced mix of margarita mix with well hidden alcohol and a hint of salt. It is what it is, I'm not hating. I had to try it especially at the dollar price tag, so let's say this was a fresh homemade margarita with seltzer water the carbonation is what throws me of why is this margarita carbonated they are usually on the rocks or frozen in one of those adult Slurpee machines, right? It sets out what it's meant to do get females drunk, don't buy these in number, okay buy them in number and have a party and let the idiots drink outside where they will be puking salty acidic margarita mix that's carbonated all over your outdoor beer pong table. Mouthfeel is fizzy margarita mix residual sugars galore, no depth except for a fruity lime rind bitterness with a salt coating. It's actually not the worst AB experience I've had that would be by far the Chelada experiment that's still being sold on the black market. Overall I want to hate it but the demon on my left shoulder is whispering in my ear it's not that bad c'mon you pansy just finish the last 2 ounces you already took three gulps what's one more.

05-13-2013 20:31:17 | More by WVbeergeek
metter98

2.43/5  rDev +13%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A: The 'beer' is hazy light yellow in color (somewhat like a Berliner Weissbier) and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high dense bright white head that died down rather quickly, leaving some bits of bubbles on the surface and a thin collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of artificial lime juice are present in the nose along with some hints of sugar. It's similar to a Margarita mix.
T: Like the smell, the overall taste is very much dominated by flavors of lime and has associated notes of sweetness and hints of sourness and salt. As it warms up, the taste becomes sweeter and resembles a lime-flavored soda.
M: It feels light-bodied (but not watery) and a little tart on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: The lime flavors completely obscure the taste of the underlying beer, but when you consider that this is Bud Light, this might not necessarily be considered a bad thing. It seems a little heavy on the limes and sugary flavors so this would probably be best served over ice so it is diluted. No traces of alcohol are perceptible so this makes for a very drinkable malt liquor if someone is looking for a quick buzz.

05-07-2013 02:16:48 | More by metter98
Zorro

2.9/5  rDev +34.9%

Not really a beer in the traditional scent but a beer cocktail.

Cloudy light green colored beer, it looks like a pale Margarita. There is no head formation.

Smell is strongly sweet with lots of lime aroma. Scent of orange and a little tequila scent. It is supposed to smell like a Margarita and it does.

Starts out sweet and a little salty the can does say to try it over ice but I'm drinking it straight. Flavors of tequila, lime and orange. In Other words yes it tastes like a Margarita. I have had better Margaritas though.

Mouthfeel is is soda.

Overall it tastes like a Margarita, just not a great one.

It also cost just $1 so I got my Dollars worth out of it.

05-03-2013 01:24:10 | More by Zorro
Kelsiemoeller

3.85/5  rDev +79.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Appearance - light/pale yellow in color, similar appearance to lemonade with a slight carbonation.

Smell - smells really good and exactly how one would expect it to smell. It has a lime smell, sugar smell, rum smell, with a hint of beer.

Taste - very sweet, the sweetness took me by surprise at first, but it is something you get used to. Tastes like a margarita mixed with beer and less alcohol.

Mouthfeel - tart and has a ton of carbonation.

Overall - It is pretty good for what it was, but I do not know if I would order it again.

04-29-2013 20:41:54 | More by Kelsiemoeller
sharlie

1.99/5  rDev -7.4%

This is overall my least favorite beer. Similar to the problems with the straw-ber-rita, this drink does not have many of the flavoring of beer. Overpowered by the lime flavor, these drinks do not sit well in the stomach because of all of the sugar. Would be better if had more beer involved because actual beer-rita's are delicious.

04-29-2013 12:54:20 | More by sharlie
MichaelNickerson

1.6/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Appearance - similar to lemonade, it pours a cloudy pale yellow with no head

Smell - best part of the beer, mainly because I love the smell of citrus, especially limes. Very acidic and fruity.

Taste - very acidic and sweet. Too sweet for my liking. Has a very sour aftertaste which makes you cringe a little.

Mouthfeel - tart and not really wanting you to have another sip. Extreme carbonation.

Overall - it's not really much of a beer since it tastes more like lime juice. Would infuse it with tequila if I ever had again, which is unlikely.

04-24-2013 15:12:05 | More by MichaelNickerson
armiakhe

4.18/5  rDev +94.4%

When we tried the Bud Light Lime-A-Rita in class I was very fond of it because it doesn't taste like your typical beer. The coloring is a yellow/clear ish. The taste definitely had a twist to it and tasted of lime and a pinch of lemon as well. I feel like this would be a very good drink for tropical weather or by the beach. I enjoyed it.

04-23-2013 19:12:11 | More by armiakhe
longbongsilver

Missouri

I will be completely honest here: this was a random from a mix'n'match, out of pure guinea pig steez curiosity. The others I picked were already ones I reviewed & enjoyed, this is the loner, let's roll...

16oz glass fills blurry lemonade-looking yellow-white. No head whatsoever. Really, really fizzy, like a spritzer. Scent is lime (duh) plus lemon, like a stronger version of Sprite. That is a soda though, and this is a beer, so what this means is unclear. I'm not particularly hopeful, to be honest. Here goes...

Along with the lime is salt, a surprising amount of salt. Guess A-B took the "margarita w/ a twist" thing literally. I can feel my blood pressure going up with this first swig. Goes down like a thicker version of a wine cooler -- a quality I don't like even in those, let alone in something that is ostensibly supposed to still be beer, regardless of the flavor promotion.

This is a drain pour on sight. Even if someone offers you one for *free*, not only should you refuse, you should place that person on your enemies list. I wish I could give this zeros instead of ones. Never again...never again.

04-23-2013 08:13:50 | More by longbongsilver
jimmah120

3.15/5  rDev +46.5%

24oz can into glass with ice cubes

couldnt believe my eyes when i saw "malted ale" on the can. to rate this against other malt liquors is tough. It's a mix of undetectable alcohol and Slurpee™ syrup. Super sweet melted limesicle flavor.

Might be good on a hot day out by the water

04-13-2013 17:26:46 | More by jimmah120
NeroFiddled

3.59/5  rDev +67%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bud Light Lime-A-Rita
24 oz. can, coded "13059 BJ25"
$2.99 @ Stop N Shop Liquors, Camden, NJ

There's not really much to say about this. In fact, the name kind of says it all. It's a margarita-like drink that uses malt as a base, thus the "Bud Light Lime" logo that adorns the packaging. It's not "light" by any stretch of the imagination, however, clocking in at a whopping 330 calories per 12 ounce serving. What it does have down pat is the margarita side of things. It looks like a margarita, and it tastes like a margarita. It even has a bit of a tequila flavor to it. The only thing that's not like a margarita is that it's got a little bit of carbonation to it.

So... what to say about it, and how to review it? You can't really look at it as a beer because there's too much flavoring added to it. It's entirely something else altogether, so let's just follow that route and think of it hedonistically. It's sweet. It's a little tart. It's even a little salty. Overall it's an impressive copy of a margarita, and there's certainly a use for that. The first time I tasted this I was in Louisiana and headed out into the hot sun to do a little crawfishin' (that's actually just pulling traps out of a man-made pond, dumping them, re-baiting them, and then replacing them). It came in handy, and I enjoyed it. It has it's place.

04-02-2013 22:13:06 | More by NeroFiddled
mfnmbvp

1.68/5  rDev -21.9%

16 fl oz. can, with no apparent canned on date present. I have basically zero expectations for this one. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass, for the sake of my own dignity.

A - Pours the color of a cheap watery lime juice concentrate, mixed with dirty water. Looks like some pretty foul stuff. Thin quarter inch of white fizz head disappears instantly.

S - Cheap artificial Margarita mix. Artificial lime. Has a very familiar smell to it, although I can't place it. Smells medicinal, almost like fresh band-aids and antibacterial wipes.

T - Taste follows the nose. Cheap, artificial tartness from the fake lime presence. Some alcohol warmth. More akin to a wine cooler or a Mike's Hard Lemonade style beverage. Not reminiscent of actual beer in any way.

M - Cheap. Sticky. Sour. Lime.

Overall, I can see where the market for this would exist, it would be some excellent alcohol delivery on a hot summer's day. Perfect for a scorching day at the beach, or on the boat. But besides it's high drinkability / watered down Margarita like representation, and it's high 8.00% abv, there is really no good reason to drink this. Approach with caution. Interested in hopefully trying the Bud Light Straw-ber-ita, which I have seen in stores but hasn't appeared on BeerAdvocate yet. Strange.

Anheuser-Busch Bud Light Lime-A-Rita ---1.5/5

04-02-2013 21:14:25 | More by mfnmbvp
woodychandler

2.76/5  rDev +28.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

The CANQUest (TM) requires that I review all CANs and when I saw this in my neighbor's (a six-pack & bottle shop) cooler, I felt CANpelled to buy one.

From the CAN: "Try it over ice! [with a related rebus puzzle for visual learners]"

My initial Crack & Glug produced a finger-and-a-half of fizzy, bone-white head with low retention. Color was a deeply cloudy pale-yellow and it occurred to me that it must have pained the brewers not to filter and clarify the heck out of it. Nose smelled of lime, but not natural lime, more like lime candy, such as green Life Savers. I claim better living through chemistry, although the CAN reads "... with natural flavors ..." and "flavored ale", so only our hairdresser knows for sure. Mouthfeel was medium and it had a sweet-tart flavor in the mouth. I initially tasted sweet, but the tartness of the lime quickly took hold. Phew. Finish was dry and tangy. I am not sure how I feel about this one. It might be better on a hot summer's day when I would be looking to quench my thirst, but on a cold February afternoon, it just was not my cuppa tea or glass of AML for that matter. Oh well, at least the price point was like the auto commercial's point - cheap.

02-16-2013 20:17:53 | More by woodychandler