Shock Top End Of The World Midnight Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Shock Top End Of The World Midnight WheatShock Top End Of The World Midnight Wheat

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Zorro on 10-12-2012

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Shock Top End Of The World Midnight Wheat Alström Bros
2.26/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

- Ale brewed with midnight wheat, chocolate malt, chili and spice. Bot. code 12 321 (Mar 21,2012)?

A: Dark cranberry, dense with little light emittence, a strong show of carbonation fills the vessel. The head is tan with a frump, cottage cheese like texture showing an average rate of retention. A thick spongy band encompasses the glass for lacing.

S: Aroma of sour fruit, cranberry, and tart black berries. The chocolate malt and chili spicing seems to be absent or very well restrained not adding much. Pretty much a staple and dictionary term for unimpressive.

T: The flavor is stale, flat chocolate, with some sour fruitiness, cherries and berries. The chili is there but again as with the nose, very insignificant not adding much to the overall effect. Dry wheat, powdery taste of chili is faint on the tongue, the spices mute and mostly indistinguishable. A dash of sour orange is detected.

M: Small tingle of carbonation, slightly creamy, light-medium body with a small chili powdery coating on the tongue.

O: Overall the beer is not so much bad taste wise as it is underwhelming and monotone coming off rather bland and lifeless, safe and conservative, with a mute and underutilized spicing that seemed like they were hesitant to pull off in the first place. Drinking factor is flat-line for me, could care less. (1,331 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Acquired as part of a cheap sixer at my local Von's grocery store (aka Safeway/Pavilions). Expections are very low given the brewery. Reviewed live. 6.00% ABV confirmed. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with branded twist-off pressure cap and cool label served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with extra vigor as carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a four finger head (maybe I gave it too much vigor) of beige-khaki colour, nice cream, decent froth, decent thickness, and good (~5 minute) retention for the average ABV. Body colour is a nontransparent translucent hazy copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Meh. Nothing unique or special here.

Sm: Pumpkin, clove, nutmeg, and maybe cinnamon. I can only report what I detect. I honestly don't get wheat, chocolate malt, or chili pepper. A mild strength aroma. Not a bad one either. I don't detect yeast or alcohol. If you gave this to me blind, I'd have no idea it was a Budweiser product. It's not a bad aroma by any means. I'm looking forward to trying it.

T: Wheat, clove, spice (nutmeg), light pumpkin (I'm as shocked as you may be), generic malts, and light chocolate malt - which comes through in the third act. Surprisingly well balanced. I don't get any yeast, chili pepper, or "midnight wheat" (whatever the hell that is), but it's fairly tasty. Little complexity and/or subtlety. But a pleasant brew all around.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Pretty good carbonation. Good palate presence. Suits the flavour profile fairly well. I think the mouthfeel is well executed. Maybe a touch too thin, but chewy and enjoyable.

Dr: A drinkable beer all around that I think gets savaged because of the brewery. In a blind taste test, I could see this beating many microbrew craft offerings. Honestly, it's not at all a bad brew and I'd choose it over many Widmer, Pyramid, or Red Hook offerings if I was out at a pub. Worth trying and well priced. Hides its modest ABV as well as you'd expect.

Low C (2,104 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Hazy brown in color with a tight tan head that leaves splotchiness and a ring inside rim of glass. Smells are bready with a hint of banana. Tastes is a bit bland and dry. Not really sweet but not really bitter either. I can't really pick up the chili that's advertised. There is a hint of spice towards the finish. And a touch of cocoa but I do mean a touch. Not bad but pretty average. (386 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle
Served in a weizen glass

A - It is cloudy. The body is a dirty amber color with burnt orange highlights. It is topped of with an inch of tan head.

S - The peppers are apparent on the initial smell. The chocolate comes through as it warms. I also get that "wheat" beer aroma.

T - Now the taste seems to have more of the chocolate. The peppers come through more in the aftertaste and build with each drink.

M - Moderate

O - I waited about two months too long to drink this beer. I found it at the local grocery store and thought the chocolate malt and peppers were an interesting combination. They were albeit, not real strong in flavor. This may have been better fresh, but it an A-B product, so I doubt it ever had a lot of flavor. Overall, it is the best Shock Top I have had. (798 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -4.2%

It lives up to the name "End of the World Midnight Wheat". If you are a shocktop fan, you are expecting a citrus based beverage full of body and flavor. This reminds me more a light IPA. I bought it for its name, and probably won't buy it again. It was fun to try.

A little citrus, but very bitter, almost like they used grapefruit? Vary bold flavor that left a bitter aftertaste. Very full bodied and heavy to drink. (419 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +20.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A- Pours a middle brown color with lots of haze. Fairly large, 3 finger head that retains and laces pretty well.

S- Starts with a little bit of wheat flavor and moves quickly into the chocolate and spice flavors. Chocolate is present but not very dominant. Spices however are more powerful with detectable nutmeg and cinnamon-like scents.

T- Starts with a spicy flavor profile. Spiciness has a hint of pepper, but mostly the nutmeg and cinnamon. Lots of chocolate malt in the middle. Slight wheat flavor presides throughout. Chocolate and spicy notes linger in the aftertaste.

M- Thick and chewy as far as wheats go. Lots of carbonation and medium weight on the palate. Spice profile could make drinking more than one or two tough.

Overall, a very interesting beer. Chocolate and spice in this one are a good introduction to spices in beer. Interesting and drinkable, too bad this is a one time seasonal, it's a good change of pace. (937 characters)

2.74/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Pours a hazy, copper color. 6/4 inch head of an off-white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of sweet malt, pale malt, hint of hop, hint of spices (coriander?), hint of wheat, and slight adjunct. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. There is also a noticeable metallic flavor. Fits the style of an herbed / spiced beer better than it fits into the American Pale Wheat style. Tastes of a pale malt, slight sweet malt, hint of wheat, hint of spices, slight metallic of adjunct, and a hint of roasted malt. Overall, weak body that is dominated by metallic flavors. (603 characters)

3.17/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a single of this brew at my local establishment, Civera's Deli. Let's see about this. I've heard slightly positive reviews about this one. Let's see if Anheuser can surprise me.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, dark, brown with an almost amber-like hue. Head is about an inch high, and sticks around appropriately, like a common, good beer should.

Smell: Has a nice aroma of citrus. Also noted in this is a slight hint of chocolate, but not as apparent as the appearance is. I also noticed some hints of light spices. Not too bad, but nothing that "wows" me. I guess better luck next time.

Taste: Somewhat light, a nice hint of citrus. As I got to the bottom, there was a nice taste of dark malts. The chocolate was only minor. So far, no appearance of chili or other spices as mentioned on the bottle. Nice try Anheuser, but looks like you dropped the ball on that. Just reminds me of a maltier Shock Top with a slight hint of chocolate.

Mouthfeel: Has a moderate carbonation.

Overall: To be quite frank, I wasn't expecting much out of this beer. But i guess I set my hopes a little too high to begin with when I read on the bottle the ingoing spices and all. Maybe my palate is a little off, but I didn't once taste chili. Overall, this isn't a TERRIBLE beer, but definitely just reminded me of a hybrid Shock Top. I probably won't have this beer again, mainly because it's a limited release. I guess the big breweries tried on this one, and it didn't go exactly as planned. Just took a popular, trending topic and made a beer out of it in an attempt to boost sales. I'll look elsewhere next time if they release a "Return of Jesus" beer. Cheers! (1,659 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a promo glass acquired with the beer. Pours a dark red with a nice off white head. Smells of wheat and dark malt. Tastes of hints of caramel and a little chocolate, nothing too special, but dominated by wheat. Beer goes down real smooth and is very drinkable, light bodied. Overall, a slightly above average beer. (345 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This pours a light brown color with a foamy beige head. There is a slight scent of chocolate and chili spice mixed with wheat. This is a complex, darker wheat flavor with elements of chocolate and spice as it promises. Surprisingly decent for being an AB-InBev competition product to Blue Moon’s line. (303 characters)

3.35/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Shock Top seasonal wheat beer wasn't what I expected, wasn't as good as some of their other offerings, but it still hit the spot.

The beer poured out as a beautiful dark-honey color, very nice to my eyes. The head was thick, had staying power and with good lacing. I smelled strong scents of barley and malt with a distant hint of spice. It tasted very potent, not the sort of beer to guzzle, but to spin and take in slowly. The mouthfeel helped out with that since it rolled around my tongue thick and rich. What disappointed me was that I could only pull out the barley and malt flavors - none of the spice I smelled or cinnamon the bottle claimed.

Overall, a good beer but nothing overly spectacular. (707 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

12oz brown bottle with no freshness date.

LOOK: Tight tiny bubbled head, murky brown hue

SMELL: Wheat bread, banana taffy, vague spice, mild chocolate, slightly clean, toasted grain

TASTE: Semi-crisp, smooth, wet, lighter bodied, hint of chili pepper, mild baker's chocolate, earthy, dried grass, modest hopping,

Fun concept but this whole Shock Top brand is simply reactionary to what smaller brewers have already done. Just feels like every release they are pulling their punch. Sort of a muddled mess, one and done. (523 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +47.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I really wish this was more than a sessional brew, I spun my first one in late november, expecting something less than good. Thankfully I was wrong, the mild spiced flavor was a celebration in my mouth with a hint of chocolate that I could barely taste, seemingly a teaser for one to explore. The semi dark color hinted to a heavier feel, which I did not find in this generally whimsical lubricating experience. (411 characters)

3.72/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12-oz bottle into Samuel Smith "Tulip" pint glass

A - 4 fingers of light tan foam over a cloudy body of dark copper, laces the glass nicely

S - wheat, peppery spice, sweet corn

T - malt sweetness, dark chocolate, wheat bread, chilies show up especially in the finish

M - syrupy medium body, medium carbonation

O - not bad (326 characters)

3.16/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

I'll start with that it was definitely worth a try. Contains wheat, chocolate, chili and spices? Yes please! But I wasn't as excited after I tried it. Where's the chili? I think it mixed with the chocolate to make an even wheatier taste. If you like wheat, wheat and more wheat beer, than this is for you.

I'm not in love with the appearance. It's a very cloudy orange color, not the most appealing look. It pours a decent head though. Pretty lacy.

Also, I couldn't find any food that went very well with it. (510 characters)

3.71/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

"Ale brewed with Midnight Wheat, Chocolate malt, chili and spice. To serve, pour down the side of the glass until 1/2 inch is left in the bottle. Swirl the remaining brew and pour to produce a rich, thick collar of foam. Enjoy!" Part of shock top's growing seasonal collection, new for fall/winter 2012. No bottle date.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a pint glass. Served above 49º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a thick frothy tannish-white head that recedes quickly. Body color is a mild hazy amber-brown with medium carbonation. Surface cover is decent but no lacing is underwhelming. 2.75

(Smell) Aroma consists of a clean pale malt, caramel-forward with midnight wheat close behind. Chocolate is very faint and comes across as dry. Spice blend includes a touch of cinnamon, a pinch of allspice and a faint dash of nutmeg. Young chili husks add an interesting touch but spiciness doesn't quite hit the nose. Yeast adds faint tones of dark fruits, like dates and raisins. Not a terrible aroma but nothing truly comes forward like they should be in a wheat beer. I would have enjoyed a fuller aroma, bigger body and some more focus on the key uniqueness that this beer is capable of. On a positive note, nothing is dominating the nose which is good for the overall balance of the aroma. Potency is just shy of medium. 3.5

(Taste) Much more thorough flavors in terms of midnight wheat and chocolate malts, both add a smoky and roasty complexity at the slight sacrifice of a dry finish. The chili does add twang on the finish but doesn't make for a spicy beer. Spices are at their ideal levels; cinnamon and allspice are both evident but not too overpowering on the palate. My biggest complaint about the flavor is the dryness which drops drinkability. The lack of sweetness brings out an otherwise in-balance bitterness on the finish. Touch up the malt body a note or two and bring some of the faint fruit notes in from the yeast profile and this would be a fantastic beer. A surprisingly well-crafted dark wheat beer with a risky but well-executed flavor profile. 4

(Mouthfeel) Very relaxed carbonation profile. It's a bit slick on the tongue but lacks that fullness of body that a midnight wheat should have. Some mild chewiness is expected and a slight tartness accentuates the bitterness on the finish. Balance is a bit off; sweetness is underutilized. Body is Medium for the style, and medium amongst all beers. Alcohol presence is light. The general limited carbonation is a change for Shock Top as it allows the drinker to enjoy the subtleties, which are much more plentiful in this beer. 3.5

(Overall) Wow. As far as the Shock Top beers go, this is a winner for me. There's some work to be done with the body. I'd love to get more roasty flavors, a stronger chocolate emphasis and a slightly sweeter flavor overall, but the overall impressions of this beer are positive. I'd have to check with their Belgian White again, but I'm pretty certain this is one of the best ones they've put out to date, and I'd recommend picking up a bottle, even in January. 3.75

Anheuser-Busch, Inc.'s
Shock Top End Of The World Midnight Wheat Ale
3.74/5.00 (3,155 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Appearance - Pours cloudy with a rust-like hue, the head is off-white and just under two fingers thick. Fair retention. Lacing is fair with good stick.

Smell - Wheat and orange dominate the aroma, while faint notes of chocolate and peppery spice lurk in the background.

Taste - Follows the nose: predominate wheat and orange flavor upfront, then hits on subtle hints of peppery spice and even less, a ghostly faint chocolate presence. Minor burning sensation long into the aftertaste, thanks to the pepper spicing.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium body, with strong, lively carbonation. Tingles the lips. Goes down easy enough.

Overall - I came into this beer expecting it to be awful, and I came away quite surprised. I'll be damned if Shock Top didn't finally produce a beer with decent flavor. Sure there are some minor flaws, mostly the supporting flavors that don't hit quite on the levels they should, but all in all, this is a very solid effort. (951 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

I'm not going to waste my time going through the in and outs of reviewing a massed produced Coors product. This is a drinkable session beer that I happened to be ingesting on the night of the of End of the World, or so as interpreted by people who believed such because of the Mayan calendar not extending past 12.21.2012.

Well....to get back on topic, it's a drinkable beer that you can have multiple iterations of if you can tolerate shock top and like wheat beer; this case will be in your price point...so grab it. (520 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -2.3%

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Poured a murky brown with some orange highlights, with a good fingers worth of head that settles to a small ring with no real lacing to speak of.

S: Odd mix of dark bitter chocolate and caramel with a touch of wheat. Strange but alluring.

T: Starts with a strong burst of wheat followed by roasted flavors. I'm getting a little bitter chocolate with hints of caramel. There is a little bit of citrus tartness in the finish. Strange but interesting.

M: Really lighter than I was hoping for, carbonation is pretty sharp on the tongue. Finish is on the dry side.

O: Pretty different beer here, worth looking for and giving a try and with a pretty good ABV. (698 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +30.2%

Tried this today and loved it. I love IPA's, this is not as bitter, great for non-IPA enjoyers. Not as filling as other dark ales, very enjoyable. I see bad reviews, but this beer got me to sign up here and offer a few good words. I enjoy Shock Top, this is a surprising departure. (281 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -17%

12 bottle poured into sniffer glass.
A: pours a medium amber brown, 1 finger medium khaki foam head that fades, some carbonation, no lacing
S: wheat, chocolate, hints of chilli, and also some citrus
M: thin and light
T: malt, bread, light chocolate, some citrus, and hints of chilli. Light overall on flavor and kinda watery, as it warms some flavors come forward a little stronger.
O: okay selection for people interested in light flavors. Would not but again. (461 characters)

2.15/5  rDev -30.9%

Darker Beer, Poured DArk with almost no lace sticking around on the top, AT first when reading the label you think this will be an interesting beer to try... well personally its not. I thought this beer was horrible and was disappointed by it. I thought there would be a heavy flavor due to the fact it has chocolate and chillis in it. but that was not the case. it seemed like the beer was confused. (400 characters)

2.87/5  rDev -7.7%

I survived the End of the World on Friday and instead of a lousy t-shirt, I got a bottle of beer!

From the bottle: "Ale brewed with Midnight Wheat, Chocolate Malt, Chili and spice."; "To serve, pour down the side of the glass until 1/2 inch is left in the bottle. Swirl the remaining beer and pour to produce a rich, thick collar of foam. Enjoy!"

Sheesh! Now they are giving us directions on how to pour their beer ... I am a) astounded and b) disinterested. My pour created a nice two-finger cap of dense, rocky light-tan head with decent retention. Color was a murky brownish-amber, kind of like turbid river water. Nose held some promise with notes of chocolate and some kind of spice. I do not know that I would have guessed "Chili", but there was a spiciness to the nose. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the flavors were very muted. Yes, I perceived both chocolate and spice, but nowhere near the level of yesterday's Theobroma or even Organic Chocolate. Finish was semi-dry and mildly spicy, but the whole thing lacked Oomph! It just did not seem an appropriate way to see the world end. (1,096 characters)

2.85/5  rDev -8.4%

Shock Top End of the World Midnight Wheat pours to a cloudy, mahogany color with a nose that emphasizes a little bit of chocolate, some vanilla, and some toffee. There is a good level of foam on this beer if the pour is aggressive enough and it maintains its shape for a good amount of time.

This beer has a taste that combines flavors of chocolate malt, bread, and a little bit of citrus up front, with a small amount of spice. The beer is medium bodied and it finishes with a certain degree of spice that lingers for only a short amount of time.

Shock Top End of the World Midnight Wheat seems similar to other Shock Top products in many ways. Like the others, it does have a few good qualities, but also like the others, it seems a tad lacking overall- almost a teaser product in many ways. I like the chocolate malt flavors, but I still wish there was more and I could barely detect any chili. Only when I really searched for the chili component did I find it, in the finish, and it was rather tame.

Shock Top End of the World Midnight Wheat seems slightly better than other Shock Top products thanks to the slightly fuller body, but it is still lacking in a few areas. It may not be the end of the world, but those who sample this beer may very well hope for more end of the world predictions and, along with them, better beer products that use this theme. (1,367 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy dark brown color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of wheat and spices. Taste is spicy, wheat, a touch of chocolate, different and unique. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer. (251 characters)

Shock Top End Of The World Midnight Wheat from Anheuser-Busch