Batch No. 23185 (Williamsburg, VA) - Anheuser-Busch

Batch No. 23185 (Williamsburg, VA)Batch No. 23185 (Williamsburg, VA)

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: justintcoons on 10-26-2012)
Reviews by DM1293:
3.69/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pretty good. A solid body, with hints of bourbon and vanilla (mostly vanilla) on the finish. Not as balanced, but it works well enough to not be cloying to my tastes. The smell does little to introduce it though...

My second favorite of the three finalists.

DM1293, Feb 04, 2013
3.25/5  rDev +9.1%

tbryan5, Mar 03, 2013
3.38/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Clear deep amber color, with two finger of thick foamy slightly off-white head.

Smell: Mild smells, maybe some malts, but very faint.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth, medium to light bodied. Malts, bread grains, and some hops bitterness.

Overall: This is a good brew, good balance of flavor but not overpowering. Smooth and easy to drink. I enjoyed this Bud, which I don't say often.

Cavanaghty, Nov 30, 2012
3.29/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden hued with a slight brown coloration. Minimal head after the pour. Great clarity and lively carbonation bubbles. I definitely get vanilla in the aroma and not much else. Flavor is vanilla with a bit of a cream soda. Smooth and creamy. Might be good with ice cream. Good for someone who wants a lighter bodied dessert.

Franziskaner, Oct 27, 2013
3.05/5  rDev +2.3%

12 oz bottle served in a snifter. Has a nice clear amber body, but the small head is very short-lived.

The rather faint aroma [3.25] of vanilla is even more subtle in tasting. The bourbon stakes have too little influence for me to really notice; for me, there was more wood (oak?) than bourbon, but in any case very faint.

O: This tastes too much like a regular Budweiser (but notably more malty), and not enough like a special small batch craft brew. Still, flawless execution of a rather lame recipe, with a nice smooth feel and a semi-dry finish.

chinchill, Nov 08, 2012

DarrellK, Nov 07, 2012

Schlafly33, Oct 25, 2013

THe first bottle of 23185 had me wishing I had bought regular Bud. Second bottle and my taste buds finally taste some grassy hop profile. I first I thought this was a wheat beer. Not a bad beer for quaffing I reckon. Wow I just got a tinge of vanilla! I was searching really hard for that in the first bottle.

This beer has really come around on the second bottle. More alcohol than anticipated. Although there is nothing about this beer that makes me wanna pay more for it than regular Bud, so it's a wash..I know I shouldn't compare it to Bud. So I'll say there is nothing about this beer that makes me want to choose it over any Craft Amber Lager. Nothing. It was nice to try and I won't turn this down at bbq's if it is offered but I bet this is the last time we ever see and drink this beer.

Good intentions with the barrel staves and vanilla though and if I bet this beer was just a touch more "salty" or something it would be a game changer. Something ain't quite right. It's almost too sweet but anymore hops from this company and I would rather just buy a Sierra Nevada brew..

CamuMahubah, Dec 01, 2012

acurtis, Feb 23, 2013

dertyd, Jan 19, 2013
3.43/5  rDev +15.1%

Bought a 12 pack and poured into a pint glass. Hate Anheuser but figured what the heck, well wish I didn't. this taste sorta like their Vanilla bean bourbon cask ale ( There winter one from a couple of years ago) might still be going? Didn't see it this Winter yet. Anyways taste like that but a lager. appearance is nice AND dark with 1 inch head. smells like vanilla bean, hint of coffee to me. Its good if you like crappy beer, other wise stay clear.

Damian74Shensky, Dec 09, 2012
3.2/5  rDev +7.4%

This is a Budweiser. Not a Craft Beer. If you buy this expecting a craft beer experience you will be disapointed.

Batch No. 23185 pours a nice amber color. The head disapeared quickly and the mouthfeel is a little thin. This beer could be carbonated a little more.

Unlike good ol' Bud, this beer actually has some flavor. It has a slightly sweet malty flavor. Not much vanila comes through, but I get some wood or oak in the finnish.

This is an enjoyable beer. Even if it is only a slight improvement over regular Budweiser.

JohnFatAss, Dec 26, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -1%

Two fingers of foamy head on a clear, medium straw colored body.
The aroma is nice, if faint: grain, fruit and vanilla.
The taste starts with a mild bitter lager and grain; the middle to end is dominated by the vanilla. It's a bit sweet on the finish and the vanilla does not really fit.
The texture is smooth with moderate carbonation.
If you like vanilla, this is for you.

Fatehunter, Mar 17, 2013
3.25/5  rDev +9.1%

sjones5045, Feb 09, 2013
2.88/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured a nice light amber with a touch of copper, a thin white head that quickly dissipates into a light white ring of bubbles.

The smell is very mild, just a light bready sweetness.

The flavor is mild with a light malty sweetness followed by a touch of bitterness and a long lingering astringency.

The mouthfeel is very dry, maybe the only sign of the bourbon staves that I really detect.

Pretty average and boring, out of the 3 project 12 beers this one looked like it had the most promise, but turned out to be pretty boring and a bit flawed.

bashiba, Nov 03, 2012

hiphopj5, Nov 13, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -49.7%

wilfonzo, Jan 20, 2013

atlbravsrno1, Sep 19, 2014

leinie13, Jun 20, 2013
2.53/5  rDev -15.1%

(NOTE: Backdated review from 1/24/2013)

Light amber is actually a fairly good descriptor for this brew. It’s got a bit of an orange hue around brighter light but maintains that same appearance. A bit Hazy Maze Cave-ish, the clarity isn’t what I like out of a lager. Small white head disappears practically on impact, which is odd considering the obscene amount of bubbles that are floating to the top. Decent looking on a good day, I suppose, but the top needs a lot of work.

First thing I notice is that it actually has an identifiable scent. Good for you, beer! Light hints of vanilla kissing the faintest mixture of bourbon and grains makes me realize that this is actually a beer that did something different, which kudos where kudos is due. Way to go AB
Williamsburg, you’ve earned yourself a trip to Busch Gardens… waaait a minute.

Oversharp carbonation hides the flavor at the start, which is a bit frustrating. Letting it linger a bit lets a really grainy flavor come through, which is not what I was really looking for to the most from the brew. Extremely faint bourbon tones can be found here ‘n there with a bit of adventurous swishing, but the vanilla remains completely hidden away from me. Body’s light and with a clean finish… oh hey, there’s the vanilla! Much like your friend who winds up passing out on the floor after a night of drinking, you don’t realize it’s there until it’s too late. That being said, it is there, so here’s a touch of credit for that. I really wish AB would tone down the carbonation, it’s almost annoying it’s so sharp on the tongue.

Like most of AB's "serious" efforts, I'd use "meh" to a friend of one were to ask me about it. There's really nothing special about it but I was, on the whole shot, unoffended. Call it a step up.

bbkd3b, Oct 07, 2013
3.8/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured chilled from a bottle into a Perfect Pint. Paid $12.49 for the sampler pack, which is about $2 more than regular Budweiser, but $1 less than true micros.

A=Nice dark amber, but too light for a "Red" Lager. Three finger head lasted about a minute.

S=Nice presence of barley and hops...very appealing. Stronger aroma than BMC's.

T=First sip was enjoyable (had warmed up to about 40º)--subtle flavor, more malt but a faintness of hops (this is the second of the four bottles from the sampler pack, but I don't recall too much from the first bottle, as I only had half the bottle and drank it out of a non-beer glass). Smoothness, but do not really detect vanilla and only a hint of bourbon flavoring. Budweiser yeast flavor is rather predominant--so much so, that it reminded me of a slightly stronger Budweiser.

M=Body is a bit lighter than true micros, and carbonation is a bit more than usual.

O=If you like Bud, this is a better version and could be a good stepping stone to craft beers. In the literature enclosed, A-B encourages people to vote on the three versions, so it appears that one of the three will be marketed year-round, probably as Budweiser Black (A-B recently got approval on the new label). I doubt I would buy this again, but would choose it over other BMC's with the exception of Batch 19.

2/13: Had my last bottle, paired with Pizza Hut Taco pizza, and was impressed. Increased appearance, taste and overall by quarter point each.

dhannes, Nov 03, 2012
3.33/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours out to a 1 inch white head that falls to a thin layer and color is light copper. Aroma is much like a Michelob original with a slight hint of vanilla and caramel. Flavor is also much like Michelob in that it has that signature AB yeast note along with macro-like grainy sweetness and some vanilla in there too. Hops are low-key. Mouthfeel is ok, still much like a Michelob. Overall this beer says "hey, let's take a marginally respectable all malt american premium lager and dick around with some crafty ingredients and see how many dumbasses buy it." It's not too bad if you consider the source. This was the best of the three in the Project 12 pack.

EagleTalon, Nov 17, 2012

Kunstman, Feb 18, 2013
3.48/5  rDev +16.8%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle marked 12276-WA24. Sampled on November 20, 2012.

The pour is a vibrant golden color with busy carbonation erupting toward a lingering off-white head.

I do note the slightest vanilla flavoring on the nose but I tend to pick up more sweet, pale malts. I did not get the bourbon as promoted.

The body has a decent, smooth medium texture to it.

The taste begins sweet with a hint of vanilla and a subtle bourbon note followed by a clean, crisp but short-live hop character. I hope you try this blindly and don't let the name "Budweiser" pre-determine your assessment. You may be surprised.

puboflyons, Nov 20, 2012
3.03/5  rDev +1.7%

12 ounce bottle, born on date of October 2, 2012 (Julian Date 12276 stamped on label). A buddy bought me some of the Project 12 beers since they were on sale (got the 12 pack for just $5.75), so why not tick a free beer? Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear orange/amber color with about an inch off-white head that sticked around for a while. There's a small amount of lacing. The brew smells like sweet and bready malt, along with a little bit of vanilla. I don't pick up much if any bourbon at all. Taste is mostly like the aroma, although the vanilla flavor is a little stronger in comparison. Still don't pick up any bourbon flavors, other than the vanilla. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a little bit coating, and has a good amount of carbonation. Overall, I'd say this is an average beer. Not great, but not bad either. I won't have any problem finishing the rest of the bottles I have, it's worth a try.

bluejacket74, Mar 02, 2013