Batch No. 23185 (Williamsburg, VA) - Anheuser-Busch

Batch No. 23185 (Williamsburg, VA)Batch No. 23185 (Williamsburg, VA)

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: justintcoons on 10-26-2012

Ratings: 199 | Reviews: 65
Reviews by gritz147:

From BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #72 (Jan 2013):

So the brewer’s intention here was to produce a lager that is aged on bourbon staves and vanilla beans. Pretty weak in both regards, obviously the brewer has to be delicate with these kinds of additions in a average sized lager but there could have been more umph. Would make for a great stepping stone brew for the immensely timid.

STYLE: American Amber Lager
ABV: 5.5%
AVAILABILITY: Limited

LOOK: Clear brassy hue, great looking head

SMELL: Very clean, bready, faint hay, vague wood, very mild vanilla

TASTE: Smooth, crisp, lighter bodied, stunted vanilla, dried grass, touch of wood, ghost-like bourbon, very light hopping, kiss of alcohol, dry throughout, almost no after taste

3.34/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Clear deep amber color, with two finger of thick foamy slightly off-white head.

Smell: Mild smells, maybe some malts, but very faint.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth, medium to light bodied. Malts, bread grains, and some hops bitterness.

Overall: This is a good brew, good balance of flavor but not overpowering. Smooth and easy to drink. I enjoyed this Bud, which I don't say often.

3.28/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Golden hued with a slight brown coloration. Minimal head after the pour. Great clarity and lively carbonation bubbles. I definitely get vanilla in the aroma and not much else. Flavor is vanilla with a bit of a cream soda. Smooth and creamy. Might be good with ice cream. Good for someone who wants a lighter bodied dessert.

3.05/5  rDev +2.3%

12 oz bottle served in a snifter. Has a nice clear amber body, but the small head is very short-lived.

The rather faint aroma [3.25] of vanilla is even more subtle in tasting. The bourbon stakes have too little influence for me to really notice; for me, there was more wood (oak?) than bourbon, but in any case very faint.

O: This tastes too much like a regular Budweiser (but notably more malty), and not enough like a special small batch craft brew. Still, flawless execution of a rather lame recipe, with a nice smooth feel and a semi-dry finish.

THe first bottle of 23185 had me wishing I had bought regular Bud. Second bottle and my taste buds finally taste some grassy hop profile. I first I thought this was a wheat beer. Not a bad beer for quaffing I reckon. Wow I just got a tinge of vanilla! I was searching really hard for that in the first bottle.

This beer has really come around on the second bottle. More alcohol than anticipated. Although there is nothing about this beer that makes me wanna pay more for it than regular Bud, so it's a wash..I know I shouldn't compare it to Bud. So I'll say there is nothing about this beer that makes me want to choose it over any Craft Amber Lager. Nothing. It was nice to try and I won't turn this down at bbq's if it is offered but I bet this is the last time we ever see and drink this beer.

Good intentions with the barrel staves and vanilla though and if I bet this beer was just a touch more "salty" or something it would be a game changer. Something ain't quite right. It's almost too sweet but anymore hops from this company and I would rather just buy a Sierra Nevada brew..

2.97/5  rDev -0.3%

Bright and clear, this beer is a fairly deep amber color. It develops very little head, which falls away but leaves a wisp on top of the beer. Very light spotting remains on the walls of the glass in not quite a modicum.
Very light and a little grainy, there is a certain warmth to this beer overall. Vanilla is plainly there. It brings to mind a vanilla soda I used to drink once in a while when I would visit Coney Island that I can't quite remember the name of. There's a dusting of a dryer sort of malt laying underneath it.
The body is light as well, crisp without getting terribly spritzy and, thus, even having a little smoothness running through it.

3.42/5  rDev +14.8%

Bought a 12 pack and poured into a pint glass. Hate Anheuser but figured what the heck, well wish I didn't. this taste sorta like their Vanilla bean bourbon cask ale ( There winter one from a couple of years ago) might still be going? Didn't see it this Winter yet. Anyways taste like that but a lager. appearance is nice AND dark with 1 inch head. smells like vanilla bean, hint of coffee to me. Its good if you like crappy beer, other wise stay clear.

3.18/5  rDev +6.7%

This is a Budweiser. Not a Craft Beer. If you buy this expecting a craft beer experience you will be disapointed.

Batch No. 23185 pours a nice amber color. The head disapeared quickly and the mouthfeel is a little thin. This beer could be carbonated a little more.

Unlike good ol' Bud, this beer actually has some flavor. It has a slightly sweet malty flavor. Not much vanila comes through, but I get some wood or oak in the finnish.

This is an enjoyable beer. Even if it is only a slight improvement over regular Budweiser.

3.01/5  rDev +1%

Two fingers of foamy head on a clear, medium straw colored body.
The aroma is nice, if faint: grain, fruit and vanilla.
The taste starts with a mild bitter lager and grain; the middle to end is dominated by the vanilla. It's a bit sweet on the finish and the vanilla does not really fit.
The texture is smooth with moderate carbonation.
If you like vanilla, this is for you.

2.88/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured a nice light amber with a touch of copper, a thin white head that quickly dissipates into a light white ring of bubbles.

The smell is very mild, just a light bready sweetness.

The flavor is mild with a light malty sweetness followed by a touch of bitterness and a long lingering astringency.

The mouthfeel is very dry, maybe the only sign of the bourbon staves that I really detect.

Pretty average and boring, out of the 3 project 12 beers this one looked like it had the most promise, but turned out to be pretty boring and a bit flawed.

2.54/5  rDev -14.8%

(NOTE: Backdated review from 1/24/2013)

Light amber is actually a fairly good descriptor for this brew. It’s got a bit of an orange hue around brighter light but maintains that same appearance. A bit Hazy Maze Cave-ish, the clarity isn’t what I like out of a lager. Small white head disappears practically on impact, which is odd considering the obscene amount of bubbles that are floating to the top. Decent looking on a good day, I suppose, but the top needs a lot of work.

First thing I notice is that it actually has an identifiable scent. Good for you, beer! Light hints of vanilla kissing the faintest mixture of bourbon and grains makes me realize that this is actually a beer that did something different, which kudos where kudos is due. Way to go AB
Williamsburg, you’ve earned yourself a trip to Busch Gardens… waaait a minute.

Oversharp carbonation hides the flavor at the start, which is a bit frustrating. Letting it linger a bit lets a really grainy flavor come through, which is not what I was really looking for to the most from the brew. Extremely faint bourbon tones can be found here ‘n there with a bit of adventurous swishing, but the vanilla remains completely hidden away from me. Body’s light and with a clean finish… oh hey, there’s the vanilla! Much like your friend who winds up passing out on the floor after a night of drinking, you don’t realize it’s there until it’s too late. That being said, it is there, so here’s a touch of credit for that. I really wish AB would tone down the carbonation, it’s almost annoying it’s so sharp on the tongue.

Like most of AB's "serious" efforts, I'd use "meh" to a friend of one were to ask me about it. There's really nothing special about it but I was, on the whole shot, unoffended. Call it a step up.

3.82/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured chilled from a bottle into a Perfect Pint. Paid $12.49 for the sampler pack, which is about $2 more than regular Budweiser, but $1 less than true micros.

A=Nice dark amber, but too light for a "Red" Lager. Three finger head lasted about a minute.

S=Nice presence of barley and hops...very appealing. Stronger aroma than BMC's.

T=First sip was enjoyable (had warmed up to about 40º)--subtle flavor, more malt but a faintness of hops (this is the second of the four bottles from the sampler pack, but I don't recall too much from the first bottle, as I only had half the bottle and drank it out of a non-beer glass). Smoothness, but do not really detect vanilla and only a hint of bourbon flavoring. Budweiser yeast flavor is rather predominant--so much so, that it reminded me of a slightly stronger Budweiser.

M=Body is a bit lighter than true micros, and carbonation is a bit more than usual.

O=If you like Bud, this is a better version and could be a good stepping stone to craft beers. In the literature enclosed, A-B encourages people to vote on the three versions, so it appears that one of the three will be marketed year-round, probably as Budweiser Black (A-B recently got approval on the new label). I doubt I would buy this again, but would choose it over other BMC's with the exception of Batch 19.

2/13: Had my last bottle, paired with Pizza Hut Taco pizza, and was impressed. Increased appearance, taste and overall by quarter point each.

3.32/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours out to a 1 inch white head that falls to a thin layer and color is light copper. Aroma is much like a Michelob original with a slight hint of vanilla and caramel. Flavor is also much like Michelob in that it has that signature AB yeast note along with macro-like grainy sweetness and some vanilla in there too. Hops are low-key. Mouthfeel is ok, still much like a Michelob. Overall this beer says "hey, let's take a marginally respectable all malt american premium lager and dick around with some crafty ingredients and see how many dumbasses buy it." It's not too bad if you consider the source. This was the best of the three in the Project 12 pack.

3.46/5  rDev +16.1%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle marked 12276-WA24. Sampled on November 20, 2012.

The pour is a vibrant golden color with busy carbonation erupting toward a lingering off-white head.

I do note the slightest vanilla flavoring on the nose but I tend to pick up more sweet, pale malts. I did not get the bourbon as promoted.

The body has a decent, smooth medium texture to it.

The taste begins sweet with a hint of vanilla and a subtle bourbon note followed by a clean, crisp but short-live hop character. I hope you try this blindly and don't let the name "Budweiser" pre-determine your assessment. You may be surprised.

3.03/5  rDev +1.7%

12 ounce bottle, born on date of October 2, 2012 (Julian Date 12276 stamped on label). A buddy bought me some of the Project 12 beers since they were on sale (got the 12 pack for just $5.75), so why not tick a free beer? Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a clear orange/amber color with about an inch off-white head that sticked around for a while. There's a small amount of lacing. The brew smells like sweet and bready malt, along with a little bit of vanilla. I don't pick up much if any bourbon at all. Taste is mostly like the aroma, although the vanilla flavor is a little stronger in comparison. Still don't pick up any bourbon flavors, other than the vanilla. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium, it's a little bit coating, and has a good amount of carbonation. Overall, I'd say this is an average beer. Not great, but not bad either. I won't have any problem finishing the rest of the bottles I have, it's worth a try.

2.81/5  rDev -5.7%

Orange amber with a two finger white head and very minor lacings.
Smell is minor orange zest and yeast.
Taste is yeasty sweet malts with a fait bitter hop on the back end.
Mouthfeel is quite good.
Overall a light amber as stated. I could not find any bourbon or vanilla in this brew. Maybe making huge quantities of beer just dumbs down the flavors like Army chow. If this was regular Bud I could see my self drinking this sometimes on a summer barbeque. They need to invite some good home brewers to the brewery and let them play. Maybe A-B could come up with something crafty that way.

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

12 oz twist-off bottle poured into a pilsner glass.
5.5% ABV, 13229 on side of label.

A - Crystal clear, this deep golden beer has very little carbonation feeding the poorly retained off-white head. Wispy fingers of lace creep up the glass but the still brew doesn't extend the best invitation.

S - Vanilla extract notes waft from the pale lager as this simple pale-malt-based beer suggests hints of wood but no alcohol.

T - Wood stave-centered, this earthy beer has an unusual, almost plastic-y flavor leading into vanilla and faint alcohol which overtake the simple lager quickly.

M - Looks can be deceiving because this beer has high carbonation and a smooth body that finishes dry and rather clean but lacks any hook.

O - A training wheel "barrel-aged" beer for Budweiser drinkers, perhaps? This beer doesn't quite come together anywhere along the line but save for the weird flavor, it's not terrible. Lacking any sort of hook, the vanilla and wood doesn't quite meld well with the base beer and Bourbon is nowhere in sight.

Pours a golden colour, not quite amber. Bubbly, minimal white head. Not convinced it deserved the tulip I poured it in. Pale malts make up the bulk. I don't know if I'm actually getting a minute hint of vanilla, or if I'm just willing myself out of pity. Taste as well is just some slightly sweet pale malts. I know it's all malt, but it still seems corny. The feel, unlike the rest, is quite nice. It's light bodied, but it's creamy, not too overly carbonated, and is incredibly smooth on the palate. Unfortunately, that's not enough for me to call this anything but a publicity ploy. Budweiser gives you the green light to brew anything you want, and this is the shit you come up with? It's somewhat offensive.

3.45/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle
Served in a perfect pint glass

A - It is a beautiful golden elixir. It is clear and has a meager amount of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. A fleeting, white head settles to a thin skim.

S - It smells like grain and sweet malt. I get some very faint vanilla.

T - This may be the most flavorful Bud that I have ever had, aside from Chelada and Bud Extra. The typical grain, grass, and sweet malt are balanced with some bittering hops. I even detect a little vanilla. I do not get any bourbon.

M - It is still BMC thin.

O - I like the concept here. This is a small step towards something better. I just don't understand why they would barrel age a 5.5% lager. I liked this one the best of the Batch 12 beers.

4.19/5  rDev +40.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Budweiser Batch No. 23185 has a thick, foamy, off-white head, lots of splotchy lacing left on the glass, and a clear, yellow appearance, with red highlights. The aroma is subdued, but one can pick up some spicy, white bread and sweetness. Flavor is of white bread, fruit, vanilla, wood, and there is a slight hop bite at the end. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Budweiser Batch No. 23185 finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and dry. Overall, this an interesting beer, and I think one should check it out.

RJT

2.97/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Drank in my room while staying at 'The Sheraton on Fishermans Wharf' San Franscico on 5 Feb 2013.

Poured into a platic beaker a couple of times: still looked OK. I chilled the 12 ounce bottle in the sink with loads of ice, leaving it there while we went out and cracked in on our return.

Amber body with an off-white crown.

I found the beer a bit too sweet: and I like sweeter beers normally. This however was to smooth and almost sickly, the vanilla hints helping to make the brew feel that way.

Great if you've a sweet tooth and like vanilla flavours, otherwise steer clear of this beer.

2.33/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pleasant malty & vanilla flavors upfront but fall flat in the finish.

2.35/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 4 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

12oz bottle into pint glass.

A - Deep amber with a huge fluffy white head.

S - Almost nothing there. Slight corn, bready malt, and grassy hops. A stale, metallic aroma is also present.

T - Subtle grainy malt, sweet corn, and rice. Where is the vanilla and bourbon? There may be a touch of vanilla in there, but the sweet Budweiser adjuncts overwhelm. Hop flavors are very, very faint, maybe a hint of grass and a light fruitiness. There is a unpleasant oxidized metallic taste that lingers.

M - Smooth, creamy, light bodied. High carbonation, and a bit watery.

O - This beer simply doesn't deliver on any level. The label promises an aged lager on bourbon staves and vanilla beans, but I would never guess that to be the case in a blind taste test. It tastes like a slightly heavier Budweiser with a weird aftertaste.

2.71/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Know what I like about my bourbon aged beer? Having a twist off. Screams classy!

A - Looks quite good for a red ale. It's a bright orange red color, clear with a 1/4 inch of head that sticks around for quite a bit (surprised me) and do I see... lacing? Bravo BMC!
S - Typical lager smells, some biscuit and maybe some vanilla. They must have used very little bourbon chips cuz it's not anywhere in the smell.
T - Wow it's terrible as I expected the typical Bud "funk" seems to cover up anything they are trying to accomplish. Even the vanilla just comes off as a mild "sweetness" that covers over the skunky glory. Man I should have know...
M - Average smell it kind of burns my throat a bit so I gave it a 2.5
Overall give up while your ahead Anheuser-Busch you can't make anything craft so stick to you swill!

Appearance: Clear deep reddish amber, with a prominent, dense cream-colored head, which retains fairly well. Sparse fat bubbles drift lazily to the surface.

Aroma: Very sweet aroma with lots of caramel, the oak, vanilla and even hints of bourbon are discernible as well.

Taste: Begins with a strong wave of sweet caramel, forming the backbone of the taste. Soon after, there is a fairly prominent oak note, with hints of bourbon as well. As the taste progresses, the vanilla asserts itself to a surprising degree. Late in the taste, the oak and vanilla flavors vie with the caramel to bring the taste to a close. There is a late flourish of herbal hops, as well.

Mouth feel: Soft and full, with some stinging carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: An interesting example, quite complex, it is more than a little reminiscent of bourbon.

Presentation: Packaged in a standard twelve-ounce brown glass long-neck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice. This example has been refrigerated since purchase.

Batch No. 23185 (Williamsburg, VA) from Anheuser-Busch