Batch No. 23185 (Williamsburg, VA) - Anheuser-Busch

Batch No. 23185 (Williamsburg, VA)Batch No. 23185 (Williamsburg, VA)

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: justintcoons on 10-26-2012)

Mattyb79, Jan 02, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance
Golden amber with 2 fingers of fizzy head that dissipates quickly. Excellent clarity and an absurd amount of carbonation.

Nose
Honestly this one smells a bit like urine. A touch of bourbon-esque sweetness, apple cider and caramel.

Taste
The bourbon and vanilla flavors are suspiciously absent. This really doesn't taste like much at all. There are some caramel and apple juice flavors. Perhaps a touch of bourbon-like sweetness. No vanilla whatsoever.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, crisp and clean.

Overall
Not horrible, but there's really not much flavor there. The promise of bourbon and vanilla were disappointing. Very light but not offensive.

justintcoons, Oct 26, 2012

rabbitguy, Aug 24, 2013

AmitC, Nov 02, 2012

XmnwildX12, Nov 22, 2013
2.53/5  rDev -15.1%

(NOTE: Backdated review from 1/24/2013)

Light amber is actually a fairly good descriptor for this brew. It’s got a bit of an orange hue around brighter light but maintains that same appearance. A bit Hazy Maze Cave-ish, the clarity isn’t what I like out of a lager. Small white head disappears practically on impact, which is odd considering the obscene amount of bubbles that are floating to the top. Decent looking on a good day, I suppose, but the top needs a lot of work.

First thing I notice is that it actually has an identifiable scent. Good for you, beer! Light hints of vanilla kissing the faintest mixture of bourbon and grains makes me realize that this is actually a beer that did something different, which kudos where kudos is due. Way to go AB
Williamsburg, you’ve earned yourself a trip to Busch Gardens… waaait a minute.

Oversharp carbonation hides the flavor at the start, which is a bit frustrating. Letting it linger a bit lets a really grainy flavor come through, which is not what I was really looking for to the most from the brew. Extremely faint bourbon tones can be found here ‘n there with a bit of adventurous swishing, but the vanilla remains completely hidden away from me. Body’s light and with a clean finish… oh hey, there’s the vanilla! Much like your friend who winds up passing out on the floor after a night of drinking, you don’t realize it’s there until it’s too late. That being said, it is there, so here’s a touch of credit for that. I really wish AB would tone down the carbonation, it’s almost annoying it’s so sharp on the tongue.

Like most of AB's "serious" efforts, I'd use "meh" to a friend of one were to ask me about it. There's really nothing special about it but I was, on the whole shot, unoffended. Call it a step up.

bbkd3b, Oct 07, 2013
2.66/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Know what I like about my bourbon aged beer? Having a twist off. Screams classy!

A - Looks quite good for a red ale. It's a bright orange red color, clear with a 1/4 inch of head that sticks around for quite a bit (surprised me) and do I see... lacing? Bravo BMC!
S - Typical lager smells, some biscuit and maybe some vanilla. They must have used very little bourbon chips cuz it's not anywhere in the smell.
T - Wow it's terrible as I expected the typical Bud "funk" seems to cover up anything they are trying to accomplish. Even the vanilla just comes off as a mild "sweetness" that covers over the skunky glory. Man I should have know...
M - Average smell it kind of burns my throat a bit so I gave it a 2.5
Overall give up while your ahead Anheuser-Busch you can't make anything craft so stick to you swill!

DrDemento456, Feb 24, 2013
2.68/5  rDev -10.1%

A: Pours a pretty light golden amber with a thin, clinging white mousse. The bottle label describes this beer as being a light amber, but I think that is rather inaccurate.

S: I don't really detect much on the nose. There is the usual Budweiser hint of crackers, biscuit, and grassy hops. The bourbon and vanilla bean scents are very, very subtle.

T: Again, I'm not getting much here. Upon entry, there are slight notes of grass, lemon, caramel, bourbon, oak, biscuit, and vanilla, but by the finish, all that is left is a slight grassy hop bitterness.

M: This is probably the best aspect of this beer in my opinion. Medium in body, dry, and crisp with firm, active carbonation. It definitely goes down easily.

O: If it weren't for the overly weak nose and flavor, I could see myself putting down a few of these. Unlike many reviewers, I'm not one to regularly put down large commercial brewers without reason, as I understand that any brewer, regardless of size, is as capable of making a good beer as a bad one, and while I do have to give the AB guys some credit for trying, they really haven't come up with anything new or interesting. This is definitely one you can pass on, as Budweiser is too afraid to alienate their core audience by releasing something truly unique. A missed opportunity to be sure.

mrfrancis, Dec 15, 2012
2.68/5  rDev -10.1%

I looked forward to this one the most but yet the most disappointed. I love a bourbon based brew. I guess bourbon staves is no barrel.
Pours a slight amber, egg white head, no real lace.
Aroma is bread, biscuit like.
Taste is so bud like, no bourbon to be had. All malt taste.
Mouth is smooth and rice like.
Overal, a-b steps into this craft beer seen with a toe, does not jump in the respective style. So close yet so far away.

chilidog, Nov 19, 2012
2.7/5  rDev -9.4%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. Was really hoping for great results in this contest as it was made near my home. The beer was very pretty, nice gold color, rich head and smelled fresh. However it was sweet tasting and I don't mean in a good way. The beer also had a sour note to it that I despise. Like some monk style beers. I will not buy again.

Minkybut, Dec 10, 2012
2.73/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours the same mild amber color as the "deep amber" beer I had before this. Thin head too. There may be promise in the ingredients used.

There's just a light dropping of vanilla and bourbon upfront. Too weak to register in my opinion.

Sweet malt with a dash of vanilla flavoring and bourbon. Again, very weak flavor overall. Too much of that "macro" off-taste.

Lingering mess of sweetness. Nothing interesting.

Meh, what waste of $12.99. I couldn't really recommend any of the three batches in this pack because while they sound enticing, they've been dumbed down by the consistency that rules the A-B empire. They are skilled...at making the same beer across several breweries. I question their skills at brewing anything OTHER THAN Budweiser/Bud Light.

Brad007, Dec 06, 2012