Batch No. 23185 (Williamsburg, VA) - Anheuser-Busch

Batch No. 23185 (Williamsburg, VA)Batch No. 23185 (Williamsburg, VA)

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: justintcoons on 10-26-2012)
2.73/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours the same mild amber color as the "deep amber" beer I had before this. Thin head too. There may be promise in the ingredients used.

There's just a light dropping of vanilla and bourbon upfront. Too weak to register in my opinion.

Sweet malt with a dash of vanilla flavoring and bourbon. Again, very weak flavor overall. Too much of that "macro" off-taste.

Lingering mess of sweetness. Nothing interesting.

Meh, what waste of $12.99. I couldn't really recommend any of the three batches in this pack because while they sound enticing, they've been dumbed down by the consistency that rules the A-B empire. They are skilled...at making the same beer across several breweries. I question their skills at brewing anything OTHER THAN Budweiser/Bud Light.

Brad007, Dec 06, 2012
3.33/5  rDev +11.7%

12-oz. bottle into a pint glass at my house on Dec. 4, 2012 (purchased the 12-pack for $12.99 at the 7/11 near Allied Gardens (San Diego) on Dec. 4, 2012. Caramel amber with 1-2 fingers of bubbly white head that dissipated at a very quick rate. Very little retention on the top, only slightly better on the sides (wetness).

Smelled vanilla, oak, sweet black cherry and toffee. Good smell overall.

Taste was like a watered down version of the smell. Got that vanilla and oak, but nothing that made me say, “wow.” Also got a slight taste of sour cherries.

Light body. Thin texture. Average carbonation. Abrupt finish.

Not a bad beer overall, better than the St. Louis batch that I just tried. Would have it again.

BucannonXC5, Dec 05, 2012

kjkinsey, Dec 04, 2012

THe first bottle of 23185 had me wishing I had bought regular Bud. Second bottle and my taste buds finally taste some grassy hop profile. I first I thought this was a wheat beer. Not a bad beer for quaffing I reckon. Wow I just got a tinge of vanilla! I was searching really hard for that in the first bottle.

This beer has really come around on the second bottle. More alcohol than anticipated. Although there is nothing about this beer that makes me wanna pay more for it than regular Bud, so it's a wash..I know I shouldn't compare it to Bud. So I'll say there is nothing about this beer that makes me want to choose it over any Craft Amber Lager. Nothing. It was nice to try and I won't turn this down at bbq's if it is offered but I bet this is the last time we ever see and drink this beer.

Good intentions with the barrel staves and vanilla though and if I bet this beer was just a touch more "salty" or something it would be a game changer. Something ain't quite right. It's almost too sweet but anymore hops from this company and I would rather just buy a Sierra Nevada brew..

CamuMahubah, Dec 01, 2012

mattparsons, Dec 01, 2012

FCRICH, Dec 01, 2012
3.38/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Clear deep amber color, with two finger of thick foamy slightly off-white head.

Smell: Mild smells, maybe some malts, but very faint.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth, medium to light bodied. Malts, bread grains, and some hops bitterness.

Overall: This is a good brew, good balance of flavor but not overpowering. Smooth and easy to drink. I enjoyed this Bud, which I don't say often.

Cavanaghty, Nov 30, 2012

brealbg, Nov 30, 2012

ButtomsUp, Nov 29, 2012

Chucker17, Nov 28, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -24.5%

A-Clear gold color...little head or lace..

S-Sweetish with artificial vanilla noticeable but not strong.

T-Really sweet...I wanted to like this but the vanilla is so artificial tasting and adds little to the already sweetish, corny flavor....

M-Too sticky sweet and unbalanced....I like malty but this has no depth or real maltiness...just a sticky mess

O-Sorry...the label sounds good but this is not. Much worse than the Pilsner I just reviewed...that i could drink again...not this one..

ZAP, Nov 28, 2012
2.93/5  rDev -1.7%

Pours sparkly translucent amber. Smells of syrupy caramel malt and not much else. Not bad, but underwhelming.

Tastes like the aforementioned very thick malt and big dose of medicinal, fake vanilla. Like, I don't doubt that they used actual vanilla in the brewing of this beer, but it really tastes like that chemical imitation stuff. The thick caramel mixes with the fake vanilla to give off the not-entirely-unpleasant cheap candy vibe. It's not horrible, but I really doubt it's what they were going for.

I wouldn't be surprised if this beer was actually pretty good, when it was made as an experiment and not ultra-mass produced. As is, it's drinkable but off.

mynie, Nov 28, 2012

3.25/5  rDev +9.1%

rderedin, Nov 22, 2012
3.38/5  rDev +13.4%

Poured into a snifter

A: Light amber/golden with a half finger head that lingers.

S: Corn, sweet, malty.

T: Suprisingly smooth. A decent combination of malts, caramel and corn. I get that familiar Bud taste, only a bit more enhanced. Light vanilla, but no bourbon aging.

M: Medium with creamy carbonation.

O: Of the 3 offerings in the mix pack, this one is the most palatable. An easy drinker, just nothing outstanding. Still, not offensive. If Budweiser is trying to get all crafty, they could do a whole lot better.

brewskifan55, Nov 21, 2012
1.98/5  rDev -33.6%

Pours a golden colour, not quite amber. Bubbly, minimal white head. Not convinced it deserved the tulip I poured it in. Pale malts make up the bulk. I don't know if I'm actually getting a minute hint of vanilla, or if I'm just willing myself out of pity. Taste as well is just some slightly sweet pale malts. I know it's all malt, but it still seems corny. The feel, unlike the rest, is quite nice. It's light bodied, but it's creamy, not too overly carbonated, and is incredibly smooth on the palate. Unfortunately, that's not enough for me to call this anything but a publicity ploy. Budweiser gives you the green light to brew anything you want, and this is the shit you come up with? It's somewhat offensive.

EgadBananas, Nov 21, 2012
3.48/5  rDev +16.8%

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle marked 12276-WA24. Sampled on November 20, 2012.

The pour is a vibrant golden color with busy carbonation erupting toward a lingering off-white head.

I do note the slightest vanilla flavoring on the nose but I tend to pick up more sweet, pale malts. I did not get the bourbon as promoted.

The body has a decent, smooth medium texture to it.

The taste begins sweet with a hint of vanilla and a subtle bourbon note followed by a clean, crisp but short-live hop character. I hope you try this blindly and don't let the name "Budweiser" pre-determine your assessment. You may be surprised.

puboflyons, Nov 20, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -6%

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Finishing off the Project 12 pack with the vaunted (I'm sure somebody vaunted it) bourbon- and vanilla-aged amber lager. It pours a clear sunrise amber topped by a finger of off-cream foam. The nose comprises barley, light vanilla bean, very light oak, and a touch of funky wheat. The taste brings in more of the same, with that funky wheat gaining in potency and everything else sorta fading into the distance. That is, except for the vanilla, which spikes through with a sharp sweetness every now and again. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a slick feel. Overall, an okay amber lager, but one that doesn't express its aging very well, and one that devolves into muddled dissonance.

TMoney2591, Nov 20, 2012

Brew33, Nov 19, 2012
2.68/5  rDev -10.1%

I looked forward to this one the most but yet the most disappointed. I love a bourbon based brew. I guess bourbon staves is no barrel.
Pours a slight amber, egg white head, no real lace.
Aroma is bread, biscuit like.
Taste is so bud like, no bourbon to be had. All malt taste.
Mouth is smooth and rice like.
Overal, a-b steps into this craft beer seen with a toe, does not jump in the respective style. So close yet so far away.

chilidog, Nov 19, 2012