Batch No. 23185 (Williamsburg, VA) - Anheuser-Busch

Batch No. 23185 (Williamsburg, VA)Batch No. 23185 (Williamsburg, VA)

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: justintcoons on 10-26-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Batch No. 23185 (Williamsburg, VA) Alström Bros
3.2/5  rDev +7%

This is a Budweiser. Not a Craft Beer. If you buy this expecting a craft beer experience you will be disapointed.

Batch No. 23185 pours a nice amber color. The head disapeared quickly and the mouthfeel is a little thin. This beer could be carbonated a little more.

Unlike good ol' Bud, this beer actually has some flavor. It has a slightly sweet malty flavor. Not much vanila comes through, but I get some wood or oak in the finnish.

This is an enjoyable beer. Even if it is only a slight improvement over regular Budweiser.

2.5/5  rDev -16.4%

2.13/5  rDev -28.8%

A - Pours clear amber with a one finger slightly frothy head.

S - Corn adjunct, slight caramel malt, rice

T - Caramel malt up front, corn flakes, ever so slight toasted malt.

M - Heavy bodied with medium to heavy carbonation.

O - Overall, Budweiser should never try to make craft beer again. This wasn't atrocious, but it definitely wasn't good.

2.83/5  rDev -5.4%

Orange amber with a two finger white head and very minor lacings.
Smell is minor orange zest and yeast.
Taste is yeasty sweet malts with a fait bitter hop on the back end.
Mouthfeel is quite good.
Overall a light amber as stated. I could not find any bourbon or vanilla in this brew. Maybe making huge quantities of beer just dumbs down the flavors like Army chow. If this was regular Bud I could see my self drinking this sometimes on a summer barbeque. They need to invite some good home brewers to the brewery and let them play. Maybe A-B could come up with something crafty that way.

3.25/5  rDev +8.7%

2.68/5  rDev -10.4%

A: Pours a pretty light golden amber with a thin, clinging white mousse. The bottle label describes this beer as being a light amber, but I think that is rather inaccurate.

S: I don't really detect much on the nose. There is the usual Budweiser hint of crackers, biscuit, and grassy hops. The bourbon and vanilla bean scents are very, very subtle.

T: Again, I'm not getting much here. Upon entry, there are slight notes of grass, lemon, caramel, bourbon, oak, biscuit, and vanilla, but by the finish, all that is left is a slight grassy hop bitterness.

M: This is probably the best aspect of this beer in my opinion. Medium in body, dry, and crisp with firm, active carbonation. It definitely goes down easily.

O: If it weren't for the overly weak nose and flavor, I could see myself putting down a few of these. Unlike many reviewers, I'm not one to regularly put down large commercial brewers without reason, as I understand that any brewer, regardless of size, is as capable of making a good beer as a bad one, and while I do have to give the AB guys some credit for trying, they really haven't come up with anything new or interesting. This is definitely one you can pass on, as Budweiser is too afraid to alienate their core audience by releasing something truly unique. A missed opportunity to be sure.

3.6/5  rDev +20.4%

pours out a brilliant lesser amber colour with a little head and very sparse lace. lightly malted aroma with wispy hints of vanilla and oak. flavour wise, the bourbon barrel and vanilla come forth a bit more than what was in the nose. it's seemingly sweeter than the other project 12 beers, and i believe a bit more agressively hopped. it all works fairly well and tastes reasonably well. especially if you are a fan of vanilla/oak/bourbon flavours in your lager. anyway, it has a medium body with a crisp, lagerish body and dry finish. drinkability is ok...i'm sort of intrigued by it.

overall, i would say that this is the most interesting and enjoyable of the project 12 offerings. i actually liked it more than i thought i would. a nice lager style beer for the winter season. it's not overdone and the nuances are simple and subtle.

2.7/5  rDev -9.7%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 45 degrees. Was really hoping for great results in this contest as it was made near my home. The beer was very pretty, nice gold color, rich head and smelled fresh. However it was sweet tasting and I don't mean in a good way. The beer also had a sour note to it that I despise. Like some monk style beers. I will not buy again.

3.43/5  rDev +14.7%

Bought a 12 pack and poured into a pint glass. Hate Anheuser but figured what the heck, well wish I didn't. this taste sorta like their Vanilla bean bourbon cask ale ( There winter one from a couple of years ago) might still be going? Didn't see it this Winter yet. Anyways taste like that but a lager. appearance is nice AND dark with 1 inch head. smells like vanilla bean, hint of coffee to me. Its good if you like crappy beer, other wise stay clear.

3.5/5  rDev +17.1%

3.45/5  rDev +15.4%

Poured into a glass mug. Pours light amber with a two-finger length white head that dissipates fairly quickly. There's a lot of visible streaming bubbles in the beer. The beer smells grainy with very light vanilla and bourbon. I might not have noticed the vanilla and bourbon if I wasn't looking for it. The beer tastes bready and sweet with some balancing hops in the back. The vanilla and bourbon are faint at first, but the vanilla comes out more later. The body is light to medium with moderate carbonation. The finish is clean. It's fairly easy to drink. This is a good beer that isn't quite up to the level of the other beers in the pack.

1.75/5  rDev -41.5%

2.73/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours the same mild amber color as the "deep amber" beer I had before this. Thin head too. There may be promise in the ingredients used.

There's just a light dropping of vanilla and bourbon upfront. Too weak to register in my opinion.

Sweet malt with a dash of vanilla flavoring and bourbon. Again, very weak flavor overall. Too much of that "macro" off-taste.

Lingering mess of sweetness. Nothing interesting.

Meh, what waste of $12.99. I couldn't really recommend any of the three batches in this pack because while they sound enticing, they've been dumbed down by the consistency that rules the A-B empire. They are skilled...at making the same beer across several breweries. I question their skills at brewing anything OTHER THAN Budweiser/Bud Light.

3.33/5  rDev +11.4%

12-oz. bottle into a pint glass at my house on Dec. 4, 2012 (purchased the 12-pack for $12.99 at the 7/11 near Allied Gardens (San Diego) on Dec. 4, 2012. Caramel amber with 1-2 fingers of bubbly white head that dissipated at a very quick rate. Very little retention on the top, only slightly better on the sides (wetness).

Smelled vanilla, oak, sweet black cherry and toffee. Good smell overall.

Taste was like a watered down version of the smell. Got that vanilla and oak, but nothing that made me say, “wow.” Also got a slight taste of sour cherries.

Light body. Thin texture. Average carbonation. Abrupt finish.

Not a bad beer overall, better than the St. Louis batch that I just tried. Would have it again.

2.75/5  rDev -8%

THe first bottle of 23185 had me wishing I had bought regular Bud. Second bottle and my taste buds finally taste some grassy hop profile. I first I thought this was a wheat beer. Not a bad beer for quaffing I reckon. Wow I just got a tinge of vanilla! I was searching really hard for that in the first bottle.

This beer has really come around on the second bottle. More alcohol than anticipated. Although there is nothing about this beer that makes me wanna pay more for it than regular Bud, so it's a wash..I know I shouldn't compare it to Bud. So I'll say there is nothing about this beer that makes me want to choose it over any Craft Amber Lager. Nothing. It was nice to try and I won't turn this down at bbq's if it is offered but I bet this is the last time we ever see and drink this beer.

Good intentions with the barrel staves and vanilla though and if I bet this beer was just a touch more "salty" or something it would be a game changer. Something ain't quite right. It's almost too sweet but anymore hops from this company and I would rather just buy a Sierra Nevada brew..

3.5/5  rDev +17.1%

3.38/5  rDev +13%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Clear deep amber color, with two finger of thick foamy slightly off-white head.

Smell: Mild smells, maybe some malts, but very faint.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth, medium to light bodied. Malts, bread grains, and some hops bitterness.

Overall: This is a good brew, good balance of flavor but not overpowering. Smooth and easy to drink. I enjoyed this Bud, which I don't say often.

2.25/5  rDev -24.7%

A-Clear gold color...little head or lace..

S-Sweetish with artificial vanilla noticeable but not strong.

T-Really sweet...I wanted to like this but the vanilla is so artificial tasting and adds little to the already sweetish, corny flavor....

M-Too sticky sweet and unbalanced....I like malty but this has no depth or real maltiness...just a sticky mess

O-Sorry...the label sounds good but this is not. Much worse than the Pilsner I just reviewed...that i could drink again...not this one..

Batch No. 23185 (Williamsburg, VA) from Anheuser-Busch