Budweiser & Clamato Chelada Picante - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: mactrail on 11-16-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

2.75/5  rDev +0.4%

1.9/5  rDev -30.7%

3.25/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

As a frequent michelada drinker, this is no surprise really. Just a premixed version, it’s not all that bad, but I’d rather mix my own with Dos Equis Amber or a good Helles. The worst part is the appearance, which looks like watery carbonated tomato soup, complete with undetermined chunks in suspension. It’s an opaque red with a feeble skim of foam that fades rapidly, leaving behind a film on the glass.

Aroma is salty and tomato forward. Taste is savory with salt, tomato, and vague lime flavors. The picante jalapeño addition is the only difference from standard Chelada and it’s not all that noticeable sadly. A little tingle in the back of the throat. Made a pretty good pairing with beef jerky. Snap into a slim jim, RIP Macho Man

4.93/5  rDev +79.9%

I thoroughly enjoyed this drink. As a heavy bloody mary drinker, it was nice to have that bloody mary taste and appeal without being as heavy as a bloody mary, and quite frankly I'm not the happiest when drinking vodka.

It smells exactly how you would expect it to...like clamato. It tastes like a bloody mary that is thinner in texture and weight with a light beer flavor.

Will be purchasing this again!!!! But it is definitely something you have to be in the mood for. Not a "drink a 6 pack" type of drink.

2.3/5  rDev -16.1%

If drinking a Chelada were anything like riding a roller coaster, I would have fallen off. It tasted like a Mexican seashore...too metaphorical? The junk must have barely met health and safety standards. I wasted my money on an entire case for a Puerto Rican themed night party; I want my money back and the portion of liver this swill must have eroded. My mom didn't even let me give it to my dog, who looked insulted when I offered anyway. I'm telling all my classmates to avoid purchasing this product. Viva la resistance

3.98/5  rDev +45.3%

Poured into a pint glass from a 25 ounce can.

A: Deep pink grapefruit like appearance with a little less than a finger worth of fizzy, pink head which quickly dissipated leaving a film on the top of the glass consisting of tomato particles and salt presumably. Opaque; chunks float throughout this beer.

S: Lime juice. Tomato juice. Sea water. Fishiness from the clam and shellfish. A little Budweiser beer aroma at the tail end of the nose. The jalapeno adds a little spice to the smell.

T: Very surprising. An initial rush of lime, tomato, and clam (hardly any beer flavor is detectable) gives way to a subtle spicy aftertaste which lingers for a moment after the swallow. Very good mix between the ingredients. Some sweetness in the beginning as well. Like others before have said, it really does taste like a carbonated Bloody Mary.

M: Medium mouthfeel with spritzy carbonation. Heavy. Easy drinking, but filling. At 198 calories per 12 oz serving, this beer is like a meal in a can. Goes down easy. Refreshing to an extent.

O: While one certainly wouldn't want to pound these all day, it does accomplish what it is setting out to do. A refreshing summer time beer, the Picante version is a step up from the regular chelada, IMO. Give it a try, you may be surprised.

1.5/5  rDev -45.3%

4.25/5  rDev +55.1%

2.75/5  rDev +0.4%

2.56/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Once more I face CHELADA!

Cloudy pink with a tall pinkish white colored head, looks like pink grapefruit juice.

Smells of tomato, sea and lime. That about sums it up. If you add salt you can call the scent Clam Ceviche Ale.

Starts out sweet salty tomato juice with celery salt. The taste can be called Beer Bloody Mary. Doesn't exactly taste bad, just weird. Beer and bloody marys two great taste that only a mad scientist would mix! Searching for the "Picante" part of this, there is a little heat but Spicy V8 is hotter.

Moutfeel ....moving on...

Overall not a drain poor but I prefer my Bloody Marys made out of Vodka.

2.55/5  rDev -6.9%

Another entry from the Colorado CANQuest (TM), proving once more that I will try anything once. Call me a beer-related neo-hippie.

From the CAN: "Budweiser & Clamato Picante with salt and lime The perfect combination"; "Do not shake! Rotate gently to mix."; "Merge two incredible tastes: a refreshing Budweiser and the intensely zesty jalapeno kick of Clamato Picante. Drink it straight from the [CAN] or add your favorite ingredients to make it yours."; "Spicy Picante Flavor".

The Crack was okay, but the Glug was visually unappealing. I got a brief finger of fizzy pink head that looked like blood orange soda pop going into the glass. It was a deep pink, which is a color that I usually like, but not in a beer. Nose was among the worst ever on The CANQuest (TM) - it smelled like the underside of the pier on a hot day. Seaweed, barnacles, dead fish, CHT from nearby ships, you should get the idea. I girded myself and took a sip. Mouthfeel was spritzy and effervescent and the taste was actually much better than the nose had led me to expect. I got the fishy flavor of the Clamato and the spiciness of the pepper cut through to make it a brilliant alternative to Sunday Bloody Marys. I will also cop to having purchased a bag of Jalapeno with Cheddar Tortilla Chips as an accompaniment. It is never going to be my go-to beer, but it was nowhere near as gag-inducing as its earlier brethren. Open at your own risk. YMMV.

3.01/5  rDev +9.9%

A - pinkish with a big, fizzy, bubbly, white head that fades quickly

S - grains and tomato soup

T - light tomato soup taste, salty, pleasing jalapeno kick in the finish

M - light to medium bodied, very crisp

This isn't something that I would go for regularly, but I this beer can serve a purpose. For anyone who likes bloody marys this is a nice twist. I could definitely see this as a hair of the dog beer. No true beer enthusiast is going to appreciate this beer, but I think it achieves what it set out to achieve.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »