Budweiser & Clamato Chelada Picante - Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: mactrail on 11-16-2012

4.78/5  rDev +62.6%

This is the best mixed beer to ever hit my lips. Because this is a bloody Mary with beer instead of vodka it is good for breakfast or throughout the whole day. I find these easier to drink in the morning than coffee, I prefer them before work over a redbull/monster, and living in California, I find these to be a perfect light summer beverage over a heavy ale. It's refreshing, light, and u can throw a few back without being incoherent. Micheoladas are taking over!

3.73/5  rDev +26.9%

A friend convinced me to give this a try last night. Against my better judgement, I agreed. I bought a 25oz can along with a 30-pack of MHL. After I got it home I was still wondering if I had made a mistake. I was in for a surprise!

I didn't bother pouring this into a glass. I figured that this wasn't the sort of thing that required visual inspection. So, I went all Redneck, and drank straight from the can. Hell, I didn't even take it out of the brown paper "wino bag!"

I did, however, smell it first. I mean, seriously? Who doesn't smell their food before they eat, right? Anyway, my olfactory senses were assaulted with the heavenly aroma of Spicy V8 with just a hint of beer and lime. Interesting, but not unpleasant.

This is where it got interesting. The first sip almost left me speechless! The flavors of Spicy V8, lime juice, and celery salt were dominate, but there was a subtle malt sweetness in the back ground that, oddly, complimented everything else. Did I really just enjoy this weird thing?

Truthfully, this was a meal all by itself. Full flavored with just enough carbonation from the Bud to prevented it from being a V8 clone. Very filling. 25oz went a very long way.

I liked it. Not gonna lie. This won't be part of any "regular" rotation of mine, but I certainly will buy this again when I want something different. Finally! An A-B product I like!

3.44/5  rDev +17%

I remember when my dad used to mix Clamato with Coors Light so I naturally wanted to try this concoction when I saw it. Not bad, not bad.

If you can pull your beer snob head out of your ass for a moment, you'll see that this beer goes well with a nice Sunday barbeque.

Despite being over 5%, it tastes very light like most domestics. It has a light sweet Clamato taste and smell, with a slight bitter after bite.

4.24/5  rDev +44.2%

I decided to do a review of this, since I do enjoy it.

I think many of the reviews here have been unfair. We see people who are writing reviews that clearly came in not enjoying red beers in the first place, or they are anti-Budweiser products or anti-can products. The thing that bothers me is, why did they even write a review in the first place?

I like red beer. If you are not a fan of clamato, a blood mary, or a bloody ceasar, you already know you will not like this beer.

I enjoy making my own homemade red beer. So I am a large fan of red beers, which is just usually making a bloody mary(In this case a bloody ceasar) with beer.

Someone said the picante version is not much of a step up from the original Cheladas Budweiser makes. I wholeheartedly disagree. I do not enjoy the original Budweiser ones that came out, and this is a large improvement. So large, that I got tired of making my own and decided to just stick with this.

I'll focus on taste instead of worrying about describing the smell and feel, as I'm not reviewing a craft beer here, this is more of a cocktail beer.

Taste: It taste great. It isn't as good as homemade, but for the convenience, it is top notch. It tastes of lime, clamato, and from there they added some kind of picante sauce, as it is much bolder then their first offerings, and it has a nice spicy kick.

For fans of red beers, this is the best you're going to get. It surpasses the Modelo chelada in spaces. If you enjoy drinking red beer at your favorite Mexican restaurant, this will not be as good but it is more than sufficient. It is a great red beer.

Beers like Budweiser are ideal for making red beers, because they do not dominate the flavor. This is a cocktail beer, and it is something more like a bloody mary, with a very thin mouthfeel.

If you want to give a chelada a try, I highly recommend this one. If you see the one without the Picante logo, I highly recommend not getting it. I think those are terrible, and this is a large step up.

I love this beer. I started out drinking Budlight with Clamato, but I now prefer this one because it has a more rich flavor. I was never a beer drinker, but a friend turned me on to this. I just wish it came in smaller cans an could be bough by the case. 2.99 a can is very expensive.
We've also tried adding V8 and Vodka to it, not bad.

3.17/5  rDev +7.8%

Despite my love for the purist utopia of craft beer, I find my love for Bloody Marys tugging at me. Thus, I shamelessly admit I love Budweiser & Clamato

3.21/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

As a frequent michelada drinker, this is no surprise really. Just a premixed version, it’s not all that bad, but I’d rather mix my own with Dos Equis Amber or a good Helles. The worst part is the appearance, which looks like watery carbonated tomato soup, complete with undetermined chunks in suspension. It’s an opaque red with a feeble skim of foam that fades rapidly, leaving behind a film on the glass.

Aroma is salty and tomato forward. Taste is savory with salt, tomato, and vague lime flavors. The picante jalapeño addition is the only difference from standard Chelada and it’s not all that noticeable sadly. A little tingle in the back of the throat. Made a pretty good pairing with beef jerky. Snap into a slim jim, RIP Macho Man

4.91/5  rDev +67%

I thoroughly enjoyed this drink. As a heavy bloody mary drinker, it was nice to have that bloody mary taste and appeal without being as heavy as a bloody mary, and quite frankly I'm not the happiest when drinking vodka.

It smells exactly how you would expect it to...like clamato. It tastes like a bloody mary that is thinner in texture and weight with a light beer flavor.

Will be purchasing this again!!!! But it is definitely something you have to be in the mood for. Not a "drink a 6 pack" type of drink.

2.34/5  rDev -20.4%

If drinking a Chelada were anything like riding a roller coaster, I would have fallen off. It tasted like a Mexican seashore...too metaphorical? The junk must have barely met health and safety standards. I wasted my money on an entire case for a Puerto Rican themed night party; I want my money back and the portion of liver this swill must have eroded. My mom didn't even let me give it to my dog, who looked insulted when I offered anyway. I'm telling all my classmates to avoid purchasing this product. Viva la resistance

3.9/5  rDev +32.7%

Poured into a pint glass from a 25 ounce can.

A: Deep pink grapefruit like appearance with a little less than a finger worth of fizzy, pink head which quickly dissipated leaving a film on the top of the glass consisting of tomato particles and salt presumably. Opaque; chunks float throughout this beer.

S: Lime juice. Tomato juice. Sea water. Fishiness from the clam and shellfish. A little Budweiser beer aroma at the tail end of the nose. The jalapeno adds a little spice to the smell.

T: Very surprising. An initial rush of lime, tomato, and clam (hardly any beer flavor is detectable) gives way to a subtle spicy aftertaste which lingers for a moment after the swallow. Very good mix between the ingredients. Some sweetness in the beginning as well. Like others before have said, it really does taste like a carbonated Bloody Mary.

M: Medium mouthfeel with spritzy carbonation. Heavy. Easy drinking, but filling. At 198 calories per 12 oz serving, this beer is like a meal in a can. Goes down easy. Refreshing to an extent.

O: While one certainly wouldn't want to pound these all day, it does accomplish what it is setting out to do. A refreshing summer time beer, the Picante version is a step up from the regular chelada, IMO. Give it a try, you may be surprised.

2.53/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Once more I face CHELADA!

Cloudy pink with a tall pinkish white colored head, looks like pink grapefruit juice.

Smells of tomato, sea and lime. That about sums it up. If you add salt you can call the scent Clam Ceviche Ale.

Starts out sweet salty tomato juice with celery salt. The taste can be called Beer Bloody Mary. Doesn't exactly taste bad, just weird. Beer and bloody marys two great taste that only a mad scientist would mix! Searching for the "Picante" part of this, there is a little heat but Spicy V8 is hotter.

Moutfeel ....moving on...

Overall not a drain poor but I prefer my Bloody Marys made out of Vodka.

2.46/5  rDev -16.3%

Another entry from the Colorado CANQuest (TM), proving once more that I will try anything once. Call me a beer-related neo-hippie.

From the CAN: "Budweiser & Clamato Picante with salt and lime The perfect combination"; "Do not shake! Rotate gently to mix."; "Merge two incredible tastes: a refreshing Budweiser and the intensely zesty jalapeno kick of Clamato Picante. Drink it straight from the [CAN] or add your favorite ingredients to make it yours."; "Spicy Picante Flavor".

The Crack was okay, but the Glug was visually unappealing. I got a brief finger of fizzy pink head that looked like blood orange soda pop going into the glass. It was a deep pink, which is a color that I usually like, but not in a beer. Nose was among the worst ever on The CANQuest (TM) - it smelled like the underside of the pier on a hot day. Seaweed, barnacles, dead fish, CHT from nearby ships, you should get the idea. I girded myself and took a sip. Mouthfeel was spritzy and effervescent and the taste was actually much better than the nose had led me to expect. I got the fishy flavor of the Clamato and the spiciness of the pepper cut through to make it a brilliant alternative to Sunday Bloody Marys. I will also cop to having purchased a bag of Jalapeno with Cheddar Tortilla Chips as an accompaniment. It is never going to be my go-to beer, but it was nowhere near as gag-inducing as its earlier brethren. Open at your own risk. YMMV.

3.01/5  rDev +2.4%

A - pinkish with a big, fizzy, bubbly, white head that fades quickly

S - grains and tomato soup

T - light tomato soup taste, salty, pleasing jalapeno kick in the finish

M - light to medium bodied, very crisp

This isn't something that I would go for regularly, but I this beer can serve a purpose. For anyone who likes bloody marys this is a nice twist. I could definitely see this as a hair of the dog beer. No true beer enthusiast is going to appreciate this beer, but I think it achieves what it set out to achieve.

1.53/5  rDev -48%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This pours a bloody reddish orange color with a slight pink head. There is an aroma of spicy tomato juice. The taste is an eye opener as I found it disgusting. There was a bit of spice to it and that was about the best part. I don’t know who came up with idea but they should be fired! I think I could take a Yuengling and dump it into a can of tomato soup and it would still taste better than this

3.62/5  rDev +23.1%

It pours a murky red/orange/pink color with a thin bubbly white head that quickly disappeared.

In the aroma I detected mostly tomato with some clam juice and jalepeno in the background with just a hint of beer.

The taste is mosstly the same with tomato, clam juice, spicy peppers and lime, cant really even tell it's beer but it's good.

The beer is thick with moderate carbonation and slightly gritty
(in a good way).

This is my first time drinking anything like this and I must admit that it's pretty good and I could definitely drink this again.

3.92/5  rDev +33.3%

Budweiser & Clamato Picante' Chelada (24 oz. can) has a thick, pinkish-white, quickly-dissipating, fizzy head, a brilliant pinkish-red, opaque appearance, lots of streaming bubbles, no lacing (but residue from the tomato, clam broth, and salt), and a huge amount of floating red chunks and other sediment in the beer. The solids tend to separate from the beer, causing stratification, if one lets the glass set for a little while. The aroma is of lime juice, tomatoes, beer, salt water, and clam meat. Taste is the same, with an overriding saltiness and some nice, delicate jalepeno spice. Mouthfeel is pretty light and watery, and Budweiser & Clamato Picante' Chelada finishes semi-dry, filling, and drinkable. This product has some chewy chunks and could fill in as a snack. Overall, it's good and interesting.

3.16/5  rDev +7.5%

Just what the world needs-- another version of a bizarre beer-like beverage from our friends at ABInBev. But looking the can over, it says "Nuevo! Picante" and sure enough, there is a Clamato® Picante. That amazing fact is boldly touted on the giant Chelada can.

It looks and feels just like the old Chelada (pink grapefruit juice), but with one vital difference. As to the tasting, the jalapeno flavor seems to mask the queasy taste of the old stuff. The heat is just right for sipping, if that's a word you can use with an InBev product. But it does convey a pleasant spiciness that outlasts the brief and clammy, salty taste. It is still weirdly sweet, but actually drinkable.

From the 24 oz can bought in Abilene, Texas.

Budweiser & Clamato Chelada Picante from Anheuser-Busch