Bare Knuckle Stout - Anheuser-Busch

awful

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: scottum on 03-05-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bare Knuckle Stout Alström Bros

Subtract 1 from the above.

I was at a lame "famous" (rolls eyes) bar/chicken joint with non-BA friends who had no problems drinking the usual swill. I *wanted* a beer. I had no idea what this was. The waitress talked it up: "Oh most people don't like it, it's a heavy _stout_ you know...like Guinness but stronger." I do my best to fake a smile since one of the guys in the group likes her. "Well I like strong beers, I'll try it." She spoke up and offered to give me a 2-3oz taste first.

Man, am I really eff-ing glad she did. I asked if they might have poured Guinness in to someone's half full water glass and given that to me by mistake. A new glass of water went very well with my burger and fries.

I looked it up when I got home. A-B? That says it all.

bfr1992t, Dec 21, 2007
1.15/5  rDev -58.5%

I had this at the alley bar in a Maß. It looked good enough, but holy shit. this is one of the worst tasting stouts ive ever had. wow, I dont know what I was thinking. this dissappoints in every way,. body is horribly thin, carbonation is, uh, weak, taste is like mud cake if it were actually to be made of mud. i think this is the most dissappointed ive been in a while, since i didnt know it was a budweiser product.

erz316, Jan 31, 2010
1.45/5  rDev -47.7%

Pint from Naja's Place

Had no idea who made this or what it it was when I ordered it

Tooo bland and nothing there

Super thick head

No smell whatsoever

Did not even finish half of it, not good at all

I am a huge stout fan, but I could not even enjoy this one

Floydster, Sep 10, 2007
1.48/5  rDev -46.6%

This beer is the least aromatic and flavorful product to have ever claimed to be a "stout."

This beer scared the crap out of me when I opened the can; I didn't realize the can contained a widget, so when I opened and heard a sound like I'd pulled the pin on a grenade, I was a bit startled. The widget does his job, and the upwardly settling head does make for a nice appearance. Sadly, that's where the pleasure ends with this beer. Aroma is non-existent and flavor is watery. Mouthfeel is thin and unsatisfying. This is undeniably the worst product called a "stout" I've ever had.

Avoid this.

BeerBelcher, Nov 10, 2007
1.5/5  rDev -45.8%

jophish17, Dec 24, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -45.8%

WOLFGANG, Jul 09, 2013
1.63/5  rDev -41.2%

Saw this on tap at a local place, never heard of it so I tried it. Apparently that was something no one else had done for some time as it was very stale and metallic tasting. CArbonation was almost nonexistent, smelled pretty much like roasted grain/coffee. Tasted the same, with some sweet, chocolatey notes. Resembled some wierd, flat soda. Left it on a table. I would have been better off with one of the $2 Miller Lights.

stingrayvr6, Mar 11, 2009
1.68/5  rDev -39.4%

Well I had a sample. Yuck! You call this stout? This is a black bud. Sickly sweet for a non milk stout. I'm not sure how Busch plans on going head to head with Guinness with this crapola, but hey, these are the same guys that brought us Tequiza and Michelob Ultra. You can really taste the adjuncts here fellow BAs. Stay away; stay far far away.

scottum, Mar 05, 2003
1.7/5  rDev -38.6%

I was served a pint of this brew at Sam's Bar in Kennewick, Washington.

A: It poured a dark black body with a head that barely reached half a finger and looked a dirty beige. The head quickly disappeared leaving a very little lacing.

S: It had an overwhelming bitter and sour aroma that nearly blocked all other smells. There was a hint of coffee.

T: It presented a tangy bitterness that turned sour in the aftertaste. There was a bite to the bitterness that tasted like the bottom of a coffee pot that had been allowed to linger on the stove for far too many hours. It was a foul tasting brew that I could not tolerate after a few sips...I tried...it failed me.

M: It was thin and light bodied with a sour aftertaste.

D: This beer is nearly undrinkable. It was close to a Bud with food coloring. I will never order this beer again.

dnichols, Mar 28, 2008
1.73/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Not much here. do i dare say charecoal taste? aroma and slight taste of weak coffee.luckilly i was only given a small glass to sample out of. head was almost gone by the time my glass got to me. not the worst beer ever made, but if i remember correctly i switched to MGD after this, which does say a lot. This beers symbol is two guys fighting, i guess to the point they hade "bare knuckes" i doubt they were fighting over the last bottle of this stuff.

twi1609372, Apr 08, 2005
1.73/5  rDev -37.5%

Presentation - served on tap in a tumbler pint

Appearance - Not quite black, one finger of a frothy, white head.

Aroma - Not much. Some hints of coffee and roasted malt and maybe a whisper of hops.

Taste and Mouthfeel - Complete and utter disappointment. I've never had a stout that's more watery than this one. None of the creamy mouthfeel one would expect from an Irish Dry Stout, let alone served on nitro. The flavor was like somebody mixed Guinness or Beamish with water. Like half and half. Just hints of roasted malt flavor, some sweetness up front and a balanced bitterness.

Notes - I give AB's craft attempts a chance, but this one was utter failure.

jdoolin, May 05, 2008
1.75/5  rDev -36.8%

A- Arrived with a huge head which I assumed was the pourers fault. I was wrong. Nice dark color.

S- Not much smell, some bitter hop notes, some slight malt sweetness. Not much to comment on.

T- Watery, with a papery, cardboard twang. The head was difficult to get through. It wasn't creamy at all, just like a watered down Guinness.

M- Like water.

D- Simply awful. No redeeming qualities at all. Water is much preferable.

kirok1999, Sep 23, 2006
1.83/5  rDev -33.9%

Had this one at SeaWorld Orlando of all places. Saw a stout, and got excited, didn't know it would taste like crude oil.

Poured from what I would presume to be a keg, it looked vaguely like Guinness from a far but on closer inspection I noticed that what little head there was was not the fault of the keg jockey beind the counter and just the beer itself. Ugh.

Tasted like, as I said, crude oil...not that I've ever tasted oil, but I can asume it tastes just like, or better than BareKnuckle stout. There is little to no carbonation and the beer just slides down the back of your throat. It tastes vaguely like coffee, but not in a good way.

Overall...steer clear.

LuckySevens82, Dec 31, 2003
1.85/5  rDev -33.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

I am normally partial to stouts and porters, but this is an exception. It looks nice coming out of the keg (had this at the Mensa AG in Denver), dark sable-brown with a decent head. Aroma, however, is rather weak, albeit typical of a stout. Flavor is rather insipid - it tastes like watered-down coffee with just a little bit of an alcohol zing. Texture is smooth but lifeless. Forget this one.

Cyberkedi, Jul 04, 2008
1.9/5  rDev -31.4%

A: Pours a dark brown with red highlights around the edges. A minimal beige head forms, and recedes in an instant. No lace.
S: Old and musky coffee, a touch of chocolate. Some faint sweet malt and grain.
T: Similar to the nose. Tastes like coffee that has been sitting around for an hour. A light malty sweetness and grain.
M/D: No body at all, and a dead lifeless carbonation. Thin and watery. I guess its drinkable, in the since that water is drinkable.

I remember back in college, I use to drink this a lot. My local bar had dollar imperial pint nights of this. I thought it was great to drink an American version of Guinness. I had it again on a recent trip back, and this is just bad. Its like AB tried to make a nitro-type beer, but with CO2. Never again will I drink this.

champ103, Mar 11, 2009
1.93/5  rDev -30.3%

Had this when I was out in Rockford for a business trip.

A: Pours a dark black body with a thin, off-white head with very poor retention. Slowed to nothing with very minimal lacing on the glass.

S: I was expecting something but got nothing. No roasted smell, just nothing like water.

T: No roasted taste either. Had a bit of a malt liquor taste to it with an alcohol aftertaste. I was not impressed by this beer at all.

M: I know that stout are supposed to be a little thin, but there was nothing of substance here. Felt like water which would lead me to understand why it have some water-like quality.

D: Not a good stout at all. Way too thin, no roasted smell or taste. It looks like an okay stout, but it definitely is not one. I would not recommend trying this unless you want to see a poor attempt at a craft brewed beer by a macro.

maddogruss, Dec 28, 2007
1.98/5  rDev -28.5%

On tap at the Sunset Cantina.

Appearance: Little to no head and two shades from black. Not sure how this is supposed to be served but it was on the same CO2 as the rest of the beers and even after I stirred it up the head dropped like a soda.

Smell: Odd sweet aroma, a bit coffeeish with perhaps too much residual sweetness.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Low carbonation, creamy and slick … very weird feeling in the mouth. Watery coffee with a faded roasted grain flavour. Faint hopping and a very sweet palate, some charred flavours and a clean finish do not impress.

Notes: This stout will never match up against any of the more popular dry Irish stouts, don’t even bother trying this.

Jason, Mar 19, 2003
1.98/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Hmmm... I finally came across this one so I figured I'd give it a try. Well, it did have a nifty tap handle.

Slightly more auburn than black wearing a scummy little foam head. Nose was a little roasty and a little sweet. I knew I was in trouble with this one becuse there was not much there. It tasted pretty much the same as it smelled, a little roasty and a little sweet. Only hints of something more complex, maybe coffee, kept from feeling like this was a complete bust. Very thin a watery in the mouth, nothing "stout" about this.

I would say that their Michelob Black and Tan makes a better stout than this!

yen157, Feb 15, 2004

mikepcarney, Apr 03, 2012

djrn2, Nov 20, 2011

BeerThursdays, Nov 17, 2011

captainbearcat, Feb 29, 2012

FriedGold2112, May 03, 2012

jfcaa193, Feb 15, 2012
2.05/5  rDev -26%

On nitro-tap, served in a large mug glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a large dense beige head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is creamy milk chocolate and vanilla, some roasted malts, but overall the smell is very faint.

T: The taste is likewise creamy but very watery with very mild flavors of chocolate, honey and vanilla. The malt character is thin for the style. The only aspect that is on-target with the style is the fact that the hops presence is almost non-existent. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Not very smooth or crisp, quite watery, light body for the style, light-to-medium carbonation, finish is dry and slightly sticky.

D: Not flavorful at all, doesn't go down easily, not too filling, mild kick, not a good representation of style, this just flat out not a good beer in any sense.

TheManiacalOne, Jun 06, 2009