Bare Knuckle Stout - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Irish Dry Stout |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: scottum on 03-05-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bare Knuckle Stout Alström Bros
3.69/5  rDev +33.2%

This stout had a thin foamy head and black/extremely dark brown in color. The aromas were really weak and could not get much character from it except the malts. The taste on the other hand had a strong peppermint taste which was great. Unfortunately there was not much else to it except the peppermint taste. It went down really light a slightly thicker in density than water which made it really easy to drink. I seriously could down many of these in one sitting.

1.96/5  rDev -29.2%

Had this when I was out in Rockford for a business trip.

A: Pours a dark black body with a thin, off-white head with very poor retention. Slowed to nothing with very minimal lacing on the glass.

S: I was expecting something but got nothing. No roasted smell, just nothing like water.

T: No roasted taste either. Had a bit of a malt liquor taste to it with an alcohol aftertaste. I was not impressed by this beer at all.

M: I know that stout are supposed to be a little thin, but there was nothing of substance here. Felt like water which would lead me to understand why it have some water-like quality.

D: Not a good stout at all. Way too thin, no roasted smell or taste. It looks like an okay stout, but it definitely is not one. I would not recommend trying this unless you want to see a poor attempt at a craft brewed beer by a macro.

2.82/5  rDev +1.8%

I'm not a long time beer connoisseur, so I'm probably rating this higher than others. I did not realize it was made by A-B, thought it was a microbrew. That being said, I'm also not a huge drinker of stouts, but I thought it was definitely drinkable. I do know that I would prefer this over a Guinness, at this point in time. The taste was fairly watery though, with some burnt flavor making its way through. Head was fairly small too, not sure how the waitress poured it. It definitely looks like a solid beer.

2.58/5  rDev -6.9%

I was at a local watering hole that boasts over 100 different beers and 60 on tap. I'm looking over the menu and see Bareknuckle Stout. I'm thinking that sounds pretty good, so I order one and wait with guarded optimism. The glass of Bareknuckle looked impressive. Coal black with a two finger reddish brown foamy head.
The first whiff of the brew was favorable. It at least smelled like a stout is supposed to smell. I should've stopped there. The taste was weak. I was completely disappointed in the taste. Oh well, at least I know not to order another one.

Subtract 1 from the above.

I was at a lame "famous" (rolls eyes) bar/chicken joint with non-BA friends who had no problems drinking the usual swill. I *wanted* a beer. I had no idea what this was. The waitress talked it up: "Oh most people don't like it, it's a heavy _stout_ you know...like Guinness but stronger." I do my best to fake a smile since one of the guys in the group likes her. "Well I like strong beers, I'll try it." She spoke up and offered to give me a 2-3oz taste first.

Man, am I really eff-ing glad she did. I asked if they might have poured Guinness in to someone's half full water glass and given that to me by mistake. A new glass of water went very well with my burger and fries.

I looked it up when I got home. A-B? That says it all.

2.33/5  rDev -15.9%

Had one at the Anheuser Busch brewery in Saint Louis. The pour was perfect with the dancing bubbles forming a nice, thick creamy head. I thought, "Wow - this looks just like a Guinness maybe the boys at AB have something here." The first sip proved how wrong I was for even thinking that. Way too thin and the after taste was much like wet cigarette ash. Not even close Mr. Busch. Couldn't even finish it. Next sample.

3.23/5  rDev +16.6%

I had this beer twice on draft and it was much better the second time. The second time was at the AB brewery in New Hampshire. I have to say it looked very similar to a Guinness when it was poured, but it wasn't nearly as sweet, and there was something else that was missing that I can not put my finger on. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad.

2.26/5  rDev -18.4%

I had no idea this was an Anheuser-Busch beer until after I had it. I knew something was drastically wrong as I tried this one.

Poured on tap into a pint glass

The appearance of this beer is nice. Reasonable, creamy off white head after the pour that seems to last throughout. The aroma is not very good. Not much at all for that matter. There are some faint aromas of coffee noted, but really not a whole lot after that.

Not a very tasty beer. Slightly bitter w/ some flavors of coffee, but overall this beer is BLAND. It tastes kinda like water with stout flavoring added. I felt betrayed as I drank this beer. The mouthfeel was ok and was medium to heavy bodied as most dry stouts are. It was nice and smooth though.

This was a pretty bad beer. Not the worst I've had, but definitely not even close to the best. Even if you are to compare it to regular, old Guinness from a can, this doesn't even come close. I didn't have to pour it out, but I will not be revisiting this again. I wouldn't even recommend it to someone who has never had a stout, as it may warp their mind on this variety. On the other hand, if you are thirsty and need something watery, maybe this is for you.

3.26/5  rDev +17.7%

Had on draft at the AB tour center. Poured creamy & dark, with a creamy head. Smell of pretty much what you expect with a stout, coffee, chocolate, and maybe some grains.

Tastes of coffee, with a burnt chocolate hint.

Not being a big coffee lover, I kinda liked the "toned down" stout attempt. I have tried to "like" stouts, but, so far, not so much. This beer suits my pallate pretty well.

1.5/5  rDev -45.8%

This beer is the least aromatic and flavorful product to have ever claimed to be a "stout."

This beer scared the crap out of me when I opened the can; I didn't realize the can contained a widget, so when I opened and heard a sound like I'd pulled the pin on a grenade, I was a bit startled. The widget does his job, and the upwardly settling head does make for a nice appearance. Sadly, that's where the pleasure ends with this beer. Aroma is non-existent and flavor is watery. Mouthfeel is thin and unsatisfying. This is undeniably the worst product called a "stout" I've ever had.

Avoid this.

2.81/5  rDev +1.4%

Appearance: Very Dark, you could say black, darker then thought for an AB stout.

Smell: Slight coffee, and roasted flovor

Taste: coffee and roasted flavor jsut liek the aroma, witha slight chocolate flovor.

Mouthfeel: Since it was on-tap, it was creamy, for a beer but a little light for a stout in my taste.

Drinkability: I have had some worst stout, could drink one, but not more then one.

3.51/5  rDev +26.7%

Nice stout. Poured nice and thick, with a great dark coloring and excellent head & lacing. Had a good smell, about average for a stout, deep with hints of burnt grains and a small bit of coffee. It had a good taste, not the best, but above average. Nice hint of coffee in it along with the usual burnt malts of a stout. Goes down easy and smooth. Not the best, but very much worth a try for stout lovers.

2.46/5  rDev -11.2%

Appearance: Pours an opaque black body with a creamy, pale beige head.

Smell: Exceptionally weak aroma of dry roasted grains and chocolate.

Taste: Roasted grains with sourish, watered down dark chocolate. A vague sweetness shuffles lazily by in the middle. Dry, lightly sour finish. Good grief.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body. Soft carbonation. Creamy-ish mouthfeel.

Drinkability: Painfully weak and lacking in all it's parts, I found it almost impossible to stifle the yawns while drinking this thing.

2.44/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Tried this one on-tap at the A-B Fort Collins brewery.

A - Black as pitch with a dark brown nitro head. Very Guinness-like. Big sheets of foamy lace on the glass too.

S - Burnt rubber and old coffee with some really bitter espresso aromas. Some caramel seems a bit our of place. This one is more rubbery than roasty...like bad gas station coffee.

T - More burnt rubber from the nose. Seems like they missed the mark somehow. I can taste some espresso and dark bitter chocolate, but there is a dominating rubber-factory or smoking tire burnout flavor.

M - Light but creamy nitro body. A dead ringer for Guinness as far as weight, carbonation, and body.

D - Not a very good stab at the style. Way off the mark.

2.12/5  rDev -23.5%

Tall, dark and handsome, with a half-inch head that retained well. Foamy lacing all the way down the glass. Teased by the presentation, I anticipated flavor and aroma that were sadly lacking. Velvety but somewhat thin mouthfeel. Perhaps the dullest stout I've ever tried.

I ordered Bare Knuckle Stout at a bar without knowing its source. Here on BA, I find that it's brewed by A-B.
Why am I not surprised?

2.06/5  rDev -25.6%

This review is typed from notes taken on March 29th.

I am not going to write all these comments in because the beer was crappy and doesn't deserve that long of a review.

A: Black, kinda Guinness-y but not quite

S: Smells roasty, a bit of chocolate or coffee but not much.

T: Plain Jane. There is roast and there is coffee but nothing is particularly strong or balanced.

M: Thick and creamy with not a lick of carbonation.

D: I guess it is an Irish Stout but I won't be buying it again.

3.36/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A pretty mundane stout. I had it at sea world in san antinio. Nice appearance. Smell was decent in strength, but ha da little offness about it.

Taste has some weak roasted malt characteristics with a slight hint of licorice and tofee. Not bad, but lackluster.

1.43/5  rDev -48.4%

Pint from Naja's Place

Had no idea who made this or what it it was when I ordered it

Tooo bland and nothing there

Super thick head

No smell whatsoever

Did not even finish half of it, not good at all

I am a huge stout fan, but I could not even enjoy this one

2.66/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Have to admit I was a bit prejudiced against this beer because its made by Anheuser-Busch. They obviously were trying to make a Guinness clone but this comes up way short in the taste department. Faint smell that I believe was coffee and roasted malts. Looked like a stout, but disappointing.

3.06/5  rDev +10.5%

This beer poured a black color with a tan head – on nitro draft. The aroma is slightly sweet and malty, but not strong. The taste is coffee and bitter, but mild. It seems a bit watered down. The mouthfeel is medium bodied. Overall, this beer is drinkable, but is lacking in flavor. I’d call this beer ok.

3.94/5  rDev +42.2%

A; Black body, 1" thick cream head, nice lacing

M: Pleasant aroma, roasted malt/barley, but not strong enough.

T: A lighter taste than I want from a stout, but still very nice w/ hints of caramel malt & roasted barley. Everything I liked about this flavor increased dramatically as it warmed.

M: Low carb, lighter body than expected from the look.

D: Smooth, easy drinking stout. No noticable alcohol (mabye it's just really weak). Very enjoyable. I'm shocked this is an A-B product - or maybe I'm just shocked I like an A-B product this much.

3.46/5  rDev +24.9%

Had this at at the El Dorado Applebee's. It was served in a frosty mug, so I held on to it for a while to let it warm up a bit before tasting it. I am reviewing it in light of the presentation that this beer gets outside of beergeekdom. It pours to a typical tan foam head and deep black color just like it's Irish cousins. Aroma is very faint but the roast and yeast esters come through (temperature may have had to do with the lack of aroma). Flavor is very similar to Guiness draught, with roasted barley contributing the most bitterness and no substantial hop character evident. Finishes roasty and somewhat "clean". A pretty decent stout as stouts go. Next time I am going to insist they use a room temperature glass. I may re-review it.

2.68/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I first tasted this beer on an A&B brewery tour. Though a bit better on tap then from a can, there wasn't much difference in my opinion.

It pours exactly like a Guinness, with the beautiful waterfall effect as the beer settles in the glass.

Aroma is slightly doughy, but other wise non-existent. Taste: some roasted flavors come through, but it tasted a bit watered down.

This beer is good if you compare it to A&B products - compared to other stouts, its not really worth it.

3.66/5  rDev +32.1%

Ordered this on tap at a bar with a dear dear friend. Had NO idea this was an AB offering. Opaque black in color. A little of the nitro-bubble trance effect on the head. Smooth and very drinkable if a little bland. still I had no idea what to expect going in. it was a plesant brew. and I’d hate to rate it low now knowing it was an AB product.

3.67/5  rDev +32.5%

Poured into a glass.

I got a free can from a friend. And I was surprized.
I love all the stouts I have drank, and never NOT liked one.

This being A&B I was stunned, first at "Mule Kick" and now the Bare kunckle. Both are overall a must try for Stout fans.

The appearance is EXACTLY like Guinness. Clone is a good word my friends. It had the special cascade of bubbles making a beautiful dance down the sides of my drinking glass. Clone.

The smell is the only thing I think I wasnt too impressed with. I smelled probably 9 million times thinkin there has to be somthing here. And there wasnt. It was very slight at the very most.

Taste was like a sleeker smoother almost Guinness. Not Guinness clone but it was close. The appearance was cloned. Not the taste. Like a smooth Chocolate Milk texture. So easy to drink and easy to finish. Godly in my eyes. (Theres still hope for some of the A&B stuff kids!!! STILL HOPE!!!)

Mouthfeel was thin. Not as Chewy as I like but it wasnt a bad feel. Bite at the end of the glass type of stout. It was very different at the end. I drank probably the entire contents in 4 drinks. (Smelling in between for long periods.)

Drinkablilty is easily a 5 in my book. Didnt make me hiccup. Easy on the ole stomach and smooth as all get out.

Pros: Good appearance, readily available, and CHEAPER THAN ITS IRISH CLONE.

Cons: Weak ABV, Thin mouthfeel, and 4 packs only as far as I know.

Bare Knuckle Stout from Anheuser-Busch