2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Budweiser Black Crown - Anheuser-Busch

Budweiser Black CrownBudweiser Black Crown

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Damian74Shensky on 01-01-2013)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Black Crown Alström Bros
Ratings: 703 | Reviews: 166 | Show All Ratings:
apalegreenhorse

Connecticut

4.89/5  rDev +75.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Really good stuff. I am close to 60 years old; I can no longer drink any beer with live yeast in it due to an enlarged prostate. Which really blows; I love IPAs and hoppy hoppy beer. Hoppy beer makes me happy. So unless, I want to walk around with a catherer inserted; I need to drink pasteurized beer. Budweiser got this one right. It tastes good. It has a kick. And I can pee afterwards. Bravo Budweiser.

03-18-2013 00:52:43 | More by apalegreenhorse
WhiteTrash9

Kansas

4.78/5  rDev +71.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

I'm a longtime Bud fan and recently tried this variation. First bottle, I thought "it's OK", but by the second bottle I decided that I really like it. Not too far off in taste from original Bud. I don't think it will replace my favorite (regular Budweiser), but I much prefer Black Crown over most micro brews. Good stuff!

12-30-2013 01:39:19 | More by WhiteTrash9
HankNova

4.6/5  rDev +64.9%

After reading several reviews about this beer it became apparent to me that alot of you guys are being effected by the fact that this is a "MACRO BEER". I believe in reviewing the beer we should at the very least try to be objective. I know that being objective is impossible because a review is largely subjective but come on, drop the AB bias. They aren't glamorous. Just review the beer.

I'll start by saying that my staple beer is Budweiser. I'm not into the brand thing, it's just a familiar taste thats light and refreshing to me, as well as inexpensive. Black Crown has now taken it's place. Its delicious. Stronger flavor than standard mainstream beer but smooth for a 6% alcohol content beer. The flavor is much more noticeable if you pour it in a glass. Its amber like the package says. Not enough head after pouring I must say, same as regular bud. The taste is noteably malty and you can taste the beechwood at the end. Its crisp and clean feeling.

The most crucial point I must get across to anybody reading this is- YOU CANNOT GET A BETTER BEER FOR LESS MONEY! Delicious beer with a domestic price seals it for me. There isn't another beer in existance that has the taste like this for $11.49 a 12 pack.
.I'm not a professional beer reviewer but this beer hits the sweet spot for me and I encourage you to try it.

02-08-2013 07:12:54 | More by HankNova
bsimeone

4.59/5  rDev +64.5%

I love this beer. Take the Fortune 100 Budweiser name off of the front and they'd be drinking it in Harvard Square.

The color of the beer is awesome - very nice caramel'esque appearance. I enjoyed the nose - pleasant and certainly anything but overpowering. The taste was great. This beer isn't trying to do too much - it's solid, smooth, and well rounded. Very impressed with this effort, notwithstanding it's brethren.

03-01-2014 21:32:09 | More by bsimeone
VinceJones

4.55/5  rDev +63.1%

My rating is what I give Budweiser Black Crown and is based on the comparison between Black Crown and all of the other Budweiser Beer. This is the best Budweiser yet. I am surprised it has such low ratings. I have been drinking bud off and on for 15 years, and most of the time it tastes like piss water; but of course, after the first few regular buds, it does get better.. That aside :), this is a great beer. I was at the store and was considering other beers (micro brews) but saw Black Crown - hadn't seen it before. Got the 12 pack home, hoping it tasted a tad bit better than piss water... and it did. It tasted a lot better. Budweiser will never be known for being elegant, or taste like most micro brews, but this is the beer to get if you need something that tastes good on the first sip while keeping more money in your wallet/paypal acct /bitcoin acct/etc. :D The aftertaste, after consuming a taco and sipping on the beer isn't the greatest, but drinking this beer while eating is wonderful. I wrote this 3 beers in.

12-25-2013 01:58:14 | More by VinceJones
ACasualObserver

4.33/5  rDev +55.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

While others may have more experience judging beer quality, few share an experience level which dates back to 1964 and includes four years at the Vermont university once attended by the founder of AA. Life Magazine once stated, "You can find your way to Norwich University from anywhere in Vermont by following the trail of beer cans along the side of the road."

Black Crown was introduced to me at the Molly's House Charity Polo Event at the Port Mayaca Polo Club on the edge of Lake Okeechobee this past weekend. The bottle was not refrigerated and was served at approximately 68 degrees. Hesitant in view of the circumstances, the first taste was the smallest of sips. It conveyed a delicate, smooth texture devoid of bitterness. Passing easily from the mouth, it left a pleasant, nutty finish that was particularly refreshing.

The second taste was a full, mustache wetting swig that revealed a medium-bodied, rich and flavorful beer with a hint of sweetness. Everything after confirmed that Black Crown was created to have a broad appeal. Its profile will satisfy without standing out. One might call Black Crown an ideal ham and cheese sandwich beer, perfect accompaniment to an impromptu lunch on the deck under a bright sun. It would also serve as an excellent apres-ski beer in front of a roaring fireplace with friends.

02-04-2013 18:20:17 | More by ACasualObserver
marzenfannm

New Mexico

4.26/5  rDev +52.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

No reason to be a beer snob about this one. It is one of the better macro brews I can think of. A good, but not complex aroma and taste. At first sip I worried a bit about the slight sweetness but that faded as I continued. I would definitely try again ... one of the better value beers I've encountered in a while.

03-18-2013 00:01:17 | More by marzenfannm
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

4.21/5  rDev +50.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Budweiser Black Crown (poured into a whiskey glass) has a thin, off-white head, little or no lacing, and a clear, golden, bubbly appearance. The aroma is very strange because it’s so fruity. Taste is the same with the odd fruitiness (although, I know it’s not a flavored beer), barley malt, rice, sweetness, and mild bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Budweiser Black Crown finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and drinkable. Overall, this is another winner from InBev, and I really like it!

RJT

01-16-2013 02:20:02 | More by RonaldTheriot
BierStein711

4.16/5  rDev +49.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into pint glass.

Three finger head, amber in color.

Carbonation was heavy! It almost felt like draught carbonation.

Smells of barley, smoke, and beechwood

Tastes: Barley, beechwood, and a nice malty finish!

Overall, this is a good beer. I would call it refreshing to a point, but the finish is dry.

I'd commit to a sixer.

02-02-2013 23:33:33 | More by BierStein711
TexasRedskinFan

4.04/5  rDev +44.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

As a huge fan of regular American Budweiser, I am always interested when AB comes out with a new offering. Budweiser Black Crown is not as the original, but it is a very good beer. Bought 2 six packs on Superbowl Sunday. It is definitely overpriced at $8 a six pack, but beer prices continue to go up all the time so I wasn't shocked.

This beer is very smooth and has more flavor than regular Budweiser. There is definitely a malt presence and it does develop a nice bitterness as it gets warm. I used to drink all sorts of micro brews, pale ales, wheat biers and anything else that screams beer snob. But as I get older I realize that beer is not a contest. And my stand by beer is American Budweiser.
Black Crown is not going to win over the micro crowd. And your average light beer drinker will probably not like it either. It isn't fancy and complex enough for the micro lover. And its too malty for your average light beer guy.
But this is a quality beer. It has good overall flavor. It is easily drinkable. And at 6% it will get the job done faster than normal.
I will continue to buy this beer until it inevitably becomes discontinued.

02-08-2013 02:22:02 | More by TexasRedskinFan
kman2686

Ontario (Canada)

4.04/5  rDev +44.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Budweiser Crown as it is known here in Canada is a recent offering from the King o’Beers in the Great White North.

The bottle is pretty slick looking definitely looks like a quality beer.

The smell two words Dee licious

The taste is on the sweet side with no bitter finish and no aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: the label reads “distinctively smooth” and true to form it most certainly is with low carbonation.

This combination makes this a highly drinkable brew allowing you to get a good buzz going. Pounding back a few pints of these seemed no challenge despite the strong 6% alc./vol rating with no real effects hitting until about beer numero four.

The only main drawback here is the price I can snag a case of the Crown at pretty much the same rate as a two-EIGHT ($38.50CDN). I mean COME ON who’s gonna make the switch from KING to Crown at that price because mathematically you’re only getting an extra Bud Lite in terms of alcohol content for that price but you’re negatory four brewskies.

Felt a little sluggish the next day, chalk it up to a rough sleep but a possible difference from King to Crown. A follow up maybe required.

This is an alternative to the vanilla Bud when you’re looking to crush some beers post work. Definitely a new challenger has emerged.

10-03-2013 14:12:22 | More by kman2686
burnerfinger

4.01/5  rDev +43.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

got this at fuzzy's over lunch one day:
poured from the 12 oz bottle into the frozen glass:

A slightly darker than the standard bud straw color / super fluffy head.

S smells better than bud! just a touch of hops and also that ABV smell

T slighty hoppy and a decent malt touch with none of the metallic macro taste!

M again, marginally better than the macro version

D NOT bad! bud not as good as a real craft beer. havent really priced it yet, its good if it's significantly cheaper than a craft.

04-06-2013 03:42:47 | More by burnerfinger
Schuttna221

3.96/5  rDev +41.9%

Budweiser Black Crown isn't the worst i've ever tasted nor is it the best but they are okay. I am a fan of busweiser in general and never have had a problem with flavor or anything like that. i like that they came out with this. i prefer it to some of the other stuff that they have made and enjoy a nice cold one once in a while.

06-28-2013 15:42:32 | More by Schuttna221
nicholas2121

3.88/5  rDev +39.1%

Budweiser Black Crown brewed by Anheuser-Busch.The brew pours out a nice amber color with a small white head. This brew has an ABV of 6.0 but it goes down real smooth . The smell is the same as american style beer. The taste is heavy with a lot of flavor. This brew is really filling. Nothing Bad about this brew. Over all I give this beer a 4 out of 5.

03-03-2014 04:14:55 | More by nicholas2121
Thaddeus

3.83/5  rDev +37.3%

Appearance: Clear, amber brown

Taste & Aroma: Had a medium sweetness and bitterness to it. Grain notes on top of a slight citrus, possibly orange.

Overall Budweiser's Black Crown is a step above the traditional Budweiser, offering a fuller taste and mouth feel. The taste duration is good, neither short nor long.

04-26-2013 13:05:04 | More by Thaddeus
phoenixrises64

Wyoming

3.73/5  rDev +33.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Everyone is saying this is a red it is a golden. Which is even stated on the AB website. I like the fizzy taste after a hard days work it wakes up the palate. Washing down the dust from hard work. I would like to see a little of smoke added to the flavor profile. Maybe after roasting the hops run a little smoke of them.

07-05-2013 18:57:27 | More by phoenixrises64
tscotti86

3.73/5  rDev +33.7%

Tasty! A pleasant surprise from AB. Fun to see the big boys try something different. I'm a Yuengling fan and this seems like a comprable alternative (Ive likley betrayed my ignorance, but who cares) Really just learning about beer, so I don't know art, but I know what I like, and I like!

07-12-2013 01:47:23 | More by tscotti86
workingclassbrew

Wisconsin

3.66/5  rDev +31.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Black Crown, I like the name, and I like the bottle. I've never cared for Budweiser, but I admit I got this for the old school look of the label.

Poured into small lager mug. The appearance, more dark gold, then amber, nice though.

The smell is sweet, not very heavy, but the sweetness stands out.

1st taste, sweet malt fron start to finish. the aftertaste is what can I say....very sweet. As the beer warms....sweeter yet. Sweet malt, little too no hop flavor. One thing that stands out is the smooth, very little carbonation effect. Smooth like the label says.

I tried this months ago when it first came out at a tavern, but couldnt remember. I'am happy I picked it up. I could easliy drink a few of these even with the sweetness, a hard to describe heavy, but not candy sweet taste. The higher alcohol I think helps it a bit.

A good backyard grillin beer, went good with chili. Easy drinkin working class lager, when you want something heavier than Budweiser, or Miller. Good price.

08-18-2013 02:32:59 | More by workingclassbrew
NeroFiddled

3.63/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Budweiser Black Crown
12 oz. bottle, "BORN ON DATE 09JAN13 MB49"

Budweiser's new Black Crown pours a clear amber body with golden highlights and an orange cast beneatha frothy head of white foam. The head retention is good, and it leaves some nice spots and splashes of lace as it goes.

The aroma expresses sweetish malt with some juicy, apple-like fruitiness and a sprinkling of light hops. The hops are very lightly spicy, and even more gently grassy.

In the mouth it's medium-light in body with a very fine, median carbonation that leaves it delicately crisp, and then smooth across the palate.

The flavor offers a light bit of caramel malt with an undertone of toastiness, and a suggestion of oak. More of the fruitiness found in the nose is present, and it's balanced by a delicate background of spicy and grassy hops. It appears a bit sweetish up front, but dries in the finish with a lingering note of delicate spice.

I would imagine if you drank a lot of these that the sweetish malt might build on your palate, but it's balanced enough that everything remains in check throughout one. And I'm not sure that it would work with any less maltiness, as it would then just be a slight variation from their standard product; this should clearly stand out as a different product.

03-05-2013 14:34:15 | More by NeroFiddled
acevenom

Louisiana

3.61/5  rDev +29.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pokal glass. Pours light golden amber with a thick, quickly dissipating white head and lots of visible tiny bubbles. The beer smells like lightly toasted grain with some mild sweetness. I can also smell some of the alcohol as well. The taste follows the nose. There's some grain and some mild caramel sweetness in the flavor. The hops are mild here, but they are present and provide some woodiness. This isn't very different from the regular Budweiser, which isn't a bad thing. The body is light with strong carbonation. The beer finishes crisp and dry. The drinkability is high. This is a good beer.

02-14-2013 02:51:11 | More by acevenom
BucBasil

South Carolina

3.58/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a mug.

A: Looks pretty good. Solid amber color with an off white head that sticks around for a little while.

S: Pretty malty with a somewhat off note in the back that I can't really place. EDIT: Someone said bananas and that seems right. Weird.

T: Wow, wasn't expecting this from Budweiser. Really smooth and very malty with caramel (as advertised) as well as some toasty bread in the back there. Seems like it's going for a Fat Tire kind of profile. Nothing mind blowing but really solid. This is a good step for the big guys.

I hope they continue to step it up from here. I like this one actually.

02-02-2013 01:07:19 | More by BucBasil
beernazismustdie

3.54/5  rDev +26.9%

It's Budweiser with a little more flavor. There's some extra malt here and an overall crisp, mellowness with the good ol' rice and beechwood finish that distinguishes Budweiser as a brand.

It won't change your life or win over someone who only drinks fancy $10/bottle craft beers, but I like it for what it is: an inexpensive macro brew that goes down smooth with a nice flavor. This is the kind of beer that's good to pick up a 6 and share with a friend after work or drink during your fun weekend activity of choice. Well done, AB.

02-05-2013 01:51:41 | More by beernazismustdie
streetcommander

3.5/5  rDev +25.4%

Drank from lager glass at 37F

I wanted to hate this beer, I really really did. It gave me nothing of substance to truly hate it for though. It doesn't allege to be a craft brew, neither does it allege to be full bodied, or a hoppy relative.

Appearance is clean and polished. Head is offwhite and surprisingly sticky.

Smell is near rancid, macro swill like, with no hop presence at all. Scary.

Taste is SA Boston Lager like, minus 90% of the actual flavor...just soft undertones and aftertastes of malt and toasted nuts. No hops again. This beer is very dangerous. It has just enough good quality ingredient flavors to draw a person back. This may be the best gateway beer ever.

The more I drink, the more my palate is able to pull hints of craftbrew.

I'm sorry, this is the best light bodied beer I've ever had. Its my new lawnmower beer. Its not craft brew, its just damned good macro swill.

02-16-2013 21:54:20 | More by streetcommander
Pegasus

3.45/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Clear, deep reddish-amber with a prominent, slightly coarse white head, which retains well. The lacing is scattered and broken; the carbonation is modest and fast-rising.

Aroma: Slightly spicy, tangy aroma, with dark caramel, toasted malt, and grassy notes. The spicy notes presumably arise form the hops.

Taste: Opens with a modest wave of hops, toasted malt, and dark caramel. As the taste progresses, the hops intensify a bit. There is also a modest note of wood, later in the taste, perhaps the famed "Beechwood". The taste draws to a close with a modest spicy, hoppy note.

Mouth feel: A touch thin, with stinging carbonation, dry at the finish.

Drinkability/notes: Better than expected. I would not choose this over a decent craft beer, bu that being said, its not bad, and is far and away more appealing than Anheuser-Busch's flagship product, Budweiser.

Presentation: Packaged in a standard twelve-ounce brown glass long-neck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

Source: Purchased at Wal-Mart in Texas as a selection of a Brewmaster's Choice build-your-own six-pack for $8.99.

04-06-2013 14:13:49 | More by Pegasus
jucifer1818

3.45/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Served in a tulip glass

a: A shade darker than the average macrobrew- with a light amber tint. A nice generous head makes this one actually look pretty nice
3.5/5

smell: It has that harsh astringent smell you get from AAL's, with a bit of creamed corn and caramel added to it. Not good, but it could be worse...but not by much
Really the smell kinda makes me sick
2/5

Taste: Here we go....and it is...Honnestly pretty good. Wow, that's surprising. This stuff ain't half bad!
It has a decent maltyness to it, with a lot of fruity lagger flavors as well....kinda like a maibock....hummnn..surprising.
for the taste Id have to give this one a surprising...
4/5

Mouthfeel: Harsh, stingey carbiantion. It bites like crazy....but given enough time to fizzle out, it not too bad
but still....that overcarbiantion takes points away from me.

Overall: I have to give this one a 3.5/5. Its not a bad brew by far (not surprised, the brewers at AB are top notch), but it still has a lot of room for improvement...but still....a step in the right direction

the 2ed best macrobrew stuff Ive ever had, right behind Narragansett.

07-26-2013 04:30:13 | More by jucifer1818