Budweiser Black Crown - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Damian74Shensky on 01-01-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Black Crown Alström Bros
Reviews: 197 | Hads: 1,065

If you like the taste and drink-ability of A-B beers, you'll love this one. Best of the Budweiser/Michelob lineage. A great tasting beer that's available at any gas station, C-store or supermarket.

4.88/5  rDev +73%

I'm a longtime Bud fan and recently tried this variation. First bottle, I thought "it's OK", but by the second bottle I decided that I really like it. Not too far off in taste from original Bud. I don't think it will replace my favorite (regular Budweiser), but I much prefer Black Crown over most micro brews. Good stuff!

4.88/5  rDev +73%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Really good stuff. I am close to 60 years old; I can no longer drink any beer with live yeast in it due to an enlarged prostate. Which really blows; I love IPAs and hoppy hoppy beer. Hoppy beer makes me happy. So unless, I want to walk around with a catherer inserted; I need to drink pasteurized beer. Budweiser got this one right. It tastes good. It has a kick. And I can pee afterwards. Bravo Budweiser.

4.58/5  rDev +62.4%

I love this beer. Take the Fortune 100 Budweiser name off of the front and they'd be drinking it in Harvard Square.

The color of the beer is awesome - very nice caramel'esque appearance. I enjoyed the nose - pleasant and certainly anything but overpowering. The taste was great. This beer isn't trying to do too much - it's solid, smooth, and well rounded. Very impressed with this effort, notwithstanding it's brethren.

4.53/5  rDev +60.6%

After reading several reviews about this beer it became apparent to me that alot of you guys are being effected by the fact that this is a "MACRO BEER". I believe in reviewing the beer we should at the very least try to be objective. I know that being objective is impossible because a review is largely subjective but come on, drop the AB bias. They aren't glamorous. Just review the beer.

I'll start by saying that my staple beer is Budweiser. I'm not into the brand thing, it's just a familiar taste thats light and refreshing to me, as well as inexpensive. Black Crown has now taken it's place. Its delicious. Stronger flavor than standard mainstream beer but smooth for a 6% alcohol content beer. The flavor is much more noticeable if you pour it in a glass. Its amber like the package says. Not enough head after pouring I must say, same as regular bud. The taste is noteably malty and you can taste the beechwood at the end. Its crisp and clean feeling.

The most crucial point I must get across to anybody reading this is- YOU CANNOT GET A BETTER BEER FOR LESS MONEY! Delicious beer with a domestic price seals it for me. There isn't another beer in existance that has the taste like this for $11.49 a 12 pack.
.I'm not a professional beer reviewer but this beer hits the sweet spot for me and I encourage you to try it.

4.48/5  rDev +58.9%

My rating is what I give Budweiser Black Crown and is based on the comparison between Black Crown and all of the other Budweiser Beer. This is the best Budweiser yet. I am surprised it has such low ratings. I have been drinking bud off and on for 15 years, and most of the time it tastes like piss water; but of course, after the first few regular buds, it does get better.. That aside :), this is a great beer. I was at the store and was considering other beers (micro brews) but saw Black Crown - hadn't seen it before. Got the 12 pack home, hoping it tasted a tad bit better than piss water... and it did. It tasted a lot better. Budweiser will never be known for being elegant, or taste like most micro brews, but this is the beer to get if you need something that tastes good on the first sip while keeping more money in your wallet/paypal acct /bitcoin acct/etc. :D The aftertaste, after consuming a taco and sipping on the beer isn't the greatest, but drinking this beer while eating is wonderful. I wrote this 3 beers in.

4.43/5  rDev +57.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a golden-amber color (guess they knew what they were doing by writing "GOLDEN AMBER LAGER" on the bottle!), nice head for the style, decent lacing, moderately carbonated. Aroma - roasty toasty bready notes, lightly sweet, faint hops, maybe some faint green apple. Taste - follows nose perfectly. Finishes crisp with no aftertaste. No alcohol at all at 6%. Fantastic.

This is an outstanding lager. I really don't know what all of these people who give terrible reviews of this beer are expecting. I've read several, so it's not like I'm just ranting without reason. It truly appears they either don't know what they're talking about, simply hate lagers and/or large brewers, or just are making things up to suit the terrible rating they give.

Whatever the case, it's a bit sad. Wonderful beer, would recommend to all.

4.3/5  rDev +52.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

While others may have more experience judging beer quality, few share an experience level which dates back to 1964 and includes four years at the Vermont university once attended by the founder of AA. Life Magazine once stated, "You can find your way to Norwich University from anywhere in Vermont by following the trail of beer cans along the side of the road."

Black Crown was introduced to me at the Molly's House Charity Polo Event at the Port Mayaca Polo Club on the edge of Lake Okeechobee this past weekend. The bottle was not refrigerated and was served at approximately 68 degrees. Hesitant in view of the circumstances, the first taste was the smallest of sips. It conveyed a delicate, smooth texture devoid of bitterness. Passing easily from the mouth, it left a pleasant, nutty finish that was particularly refreshing.

The second taste was a full, mustache wetting swig that revealed a medium-bodied, rich and flavorful beer with a hint of sweetness. Everything after confirmed that Black Crown was created to have a broad appeal. Its profile will satisfy without standing out. One might call Black Crown an ideal ham and cheese sandwich beer, perfect accompaniment to an impromptu lunch on the deck under a bright sun. It would also serve as an excellent apres-ski beer in front of a roaring fireplace with friends.

4.24/5  rDev +50.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

No reason to be a beer snob about this one. It is one of the better macro brews I can think of. A good, but not complex aroma and taste. At first sip I worried a bit about the slight sweetness but that faded as I continued. I would definitely try again ... one of the better value beers I've encountered in a while.

4.21/5  rDev +49.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Budweiser Black Crown (poured into a whiskey glass) has a thin, off-white head, little or no lacing, and a clear, golden, bubbly appearance. The aroma is very strange because it’s so fruity. Taste is the same with the odd fruitiness (although, I know it’s not a flavored beer), barley malt, rice, sweetness, and mild bitterness. Mouthfeel is light and watery, and Budweiser Black Crown finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and drinkable. Overall, this is another winner from InBev, and I really like it!

4.15/5  rDev +47.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle poured into pint glass.

Three finger head, amber in color.

Carbonation was heavy! It almost felt like draught carbonation.

Smells of barley, smoke, and beechwood

Tastes: Barley, beechwood, and a nice malty finish!

Overall, this is a good beer. I would call it refreshing to a point, but the finish is dry.

I'd commit to a sixer.

4.02/5  rDev +42.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Budweiser Crown as it is known here in Canada is a recent offering from the King o’Beers in the Great White North.

The bottle is pretty slick looking definitely looks like a quality beer.

The smell two words Dee licious

The taste is on the sweet side with no bitter finish and no aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: the label reads “distinctively smooth” and true to form it most certainly is with low carbonation.

This combination makes this a highly drinkable brew allowing you to get a good buzz going. Pounding back a few pints of these seemed no challenge despite the strong 6% alc./vol rating with no real effects hitting until about beer numero four.

The only main drawback here is the price I can snag a case of the Crown at pretty much the same rate as a two-EIGHT ($38.50CDN). I mean COME ON who’s gonna make the switch from KING to Crown at that price because mathematically you’re only getting an extra Bud Lite in terms of alcohol content for that price but you’re negatory four brewskies.

Felt a little sluggish the next day, chalk it up to a rough sleep but a possible difference from King to Crown. A follow up maybe required.

This is an alternative to the vanilla Bud when you’re looking to crush some beers post work. Definitely a new challenger has emerged.

4.01/5  rDev +42.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

As a huge fan of regular American Budweiser, I am always interested when AB comes out with a new offering. Budweiser Black Crown is not as the original, but it is a very good beer. Bought 2 six packs on Superbowl Sunday. It is definitely overpriced at $8 a six pack, but beer prices continue to go up all the time so I wasn't shocked.

This beer is very smooth and has more flavor than regular Budweiser. There is definitely a malt presence and it does develop a nice bitterness as it gets warm. I used to drink all sorts of micro brews, pale ales, wheat biers and anything else that screams beer snob. But as I get older I realize that beer is not a contest. And my stand by beer is American Budweiser.
Black Crown is not going to win over the micro crowd. And your average light beer drinker will probably not like it either. It isn't fancy and complex enough for the micro lover. And its too malty for your average light beer guy.
But this is a quality beer. It has good overall flavor. It is easily drinkable. And at 6% it will get the job done faster than normal.
I will continue to buy this beer until it inevitably becomes discontinued.

3.99/5  rDev +41.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

got this at fuzzy's over lunch one day:
poured from the 12 oz bottle into the frozen glass:

A slightly darker than the standard bud straw color / super fluffy head.

S smells better than bud! just a touch of hops and also that ABV smell

T slighty hoppy and a decent malt touch with none of the metallic macro taste!

M again, marginally better than the macro version

D NOT bad! bud not as good as a real craft beer. havent really priced it yet, its good if it's significantly cheaper than a craft.

3.96/5  rDev +40.4%

Budweiser Black Crown isn't the worst i've ever tasted nor is it the best but they are okay. I am a fan of busweiser in general and never have had a problem with flavor or anything like that. i like that they came out with this. i prefer it to some of the other stuff that they have made and enjoy a nice cold one once in a while.

3.88/5  rDev +37.6%

Budweiser Black Crown brewed by Anheuser-Busch.The brew pours out a nice amber color with a small white head. This brew has an ABV of 6.0 but it goes down real smooth . The smell is the same as american style beer. The taste is heavy with a lot of flavor. This brew is really filling. Nothing Bad about this brew. Over all I give this beer a 4 out of 5.

3.81/5  rDev +35.1%

Appearance: Clear, amber brown

Taste & Aroma: Had a medium sweetness and bitterness to it. Grain notes on top of a slight citrus, possibly orange.

Overall Budweiser's Black Crown is a step above the traditional Budweiser, offering a fuller taste and mouth feel. The taste duration is good, neither short nor long.

3.78/5  rDev +34%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is a good beer. Smooth with a little kick. Throw in sal y and a Lime and it gives it that extra kick needed. The taste of the black crown is more powerful than the lime. Which is good in its own since. Also this somehow will get you tipsy without trying

3.72/5  rDev +31.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Everyone is saying this is a red it is a golden. Which is even stated on the AB website. I like the fizzy taste after a hard days work it wakes up the palate. Washing down the dust from hard work. I would like to see a little of smoke added to the flavor profile. Maybe after roasting the hops run a little smoke of them.

3.68/5  rDev +30.5%

Tasty! A pleasant surprise from AB. Fun to see the big boys try something different. I'm a Yuengling fan and this seems like a comprable alternative (Ive likley betrayed my ignorance, but who cares) Really just learning about beer, so I don't know art, but I know what I like, and I like!

3.65/5  rDev +29.4%

I actually really enjoyed this to my surprise. Has a sweet but not overbearing quality and is very smooth. I could drink these all day. Basically no hop bite but an interesting beer if you want something you don't need to disect.

3.64/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Black Crown, I like the name, and I like the bottle. I've never cared for Budweiser, but I admit I got this for the old school look of the label.

Poured into small lager mug. The appearance, more dark gold, then amber, nice though.

The smell is sweet, not very heavy, but the sweetness stands out.

1st taste, sweet malt fron start to finish. the aftertaste is what can I say....very sweet. As the beer warms....sweeter yet. Sweet malt, little too no hop flavor. One thing that stands out is the smooth, very little carbonation effect. Smooth like the label says.

I tried this months ago when it first came out at a tavern, but couldnt remember. I'am happy I picked it up. I could easliy drink a few of these even with the sweetness, a hard to describe heavy, but not candy sweet taste. The higher alcohol I think helps it a bit.

A good backyard grillin beer, went good with chili. Easy drinkin working class lager, when you want something heavier than Budweiser, or Miller. Good price.

3.61/5  rDev +28%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Budweiser Black Crown
12 oz. bottle, "BORN ON DATE 09JAN13 MB49"

Budweiser's new Black Crown pours a clear amber body with golden highlights and an orange cast beneath a frothy head of white foam. The head retention is good, and it leaves some nice spots and splashes of lace as it goes.

The aroma expresses sweetish malt with some juicy, apple-like fruitiness and a sprinkling of light hops. The hops are very lightly spicy, and even more gently grassy.

In the mouth it's medium-light in body with a very fine, median carbonation that leaves it delicately crisp, and then smooth across the palate.

The flavor offers a light bit of caramel malt with an undertone of toastiness, and a suggestion of oak. More of the fruitiness found in the nose is present, and it's balanced by a delicate background of spicy and grassy hops. It appears a bit sweetish up front, but it dries in the finish with a lingering note of delicate spice. Unusual for an A-B product, I find it a little unbalanced. It seems just a tad too bitter and dry.

3.6/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a pokal glass. Pours light golden amber with a thick, quickly dissipating white head and lots of visible tiny bubbles. The beer smells like lightly toasted grain with some mild sweetness. I can also smell some of the alcohol as well. The taste follows the nose. There's some grain and some mild caramel sweetness in the flavor. The hops are mild here, but they are present and provide some woodiness. This isn't very different from the regular Budweiser, which isn't a bad thing. The body is light with strong carbonation. The beer finishes crisp and dry. The drinkability is high. This is a good beer.

3.52/5  rDev +24.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the 12 oz bottle into a mug.

A: Looks pretty good. Solid amber color with an off white head that sticks around for a little while.

S: Pretty malty with a somewhat off note in the back that I can't really place. EDIT: Someone said bananas and that seems right. Weird.

T: Wow, wasn't expecting this from Budweiser. Really smooth and very malty with caramel (as advertised) as well as some toasty bread in the back there. Seems like it's going for a Fat Tire kind of profile. Nothing mind blowing but really solid. This is a good step for the big guys.

I hope they continue to step it up from here. I like this one actually.

Budweiser Black Crown from Anheuser-Busch