2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Budweiser Black Crown - Anheuser-Busch

Budweiser Black CrownBudweiser Black Crown

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Damian74Shensky on 01-01-2013)
View: Beers (75) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Black Crown Alström Bros
Ratings: 702 | Reviews: 165 | Show All Ratings:
Beertender01

1.03/5  rDev -63.1%

I'm sorry guys, but this one is something I will never buy again.
The best thing I can say about it is that I can taste the beachwood aging. But it all goes terribly wrong from there. No other taste worth mentioning. No real smells (which I suppose could be a good thing). Mouthfeel... Ok, it was carbonated. Perhaps not as much as a usual AB beer.

Anyhow, I expect this one to fade from the market quite quickly.

03-06-2013 21:39:41 | More by Beertender01
KarenG69

1.15/5  rDev -58.8%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

Budwiser's new "Black Crown" has a unique and interesting flavor profile. - No one ever
This tastes like Bud in a black bottle. This is regular bud in a black bottle. This is not beer. Also, the head is weak and goes away almost immediately. Giving this beer a 1 for smell is a lie. It is actually a 0.

01-27-2013 02:33:15 | More by KarenG69
StonedTrippin

Colorado

1.18/5  rDev -57.7%

What the hell is this!?

I should start by saying that when this was first advertised mysteriously as Budweiser Black a few months ago, I thought we might see them try to go in a new direction, make a mass appeal black lager or something. You know, a darker beer with some decent roasty characteristics, but dumbed down for the less discerning palates that they cater to, sort of hit that middle of the road, Shock Top drinking crowd on the dark end of the spectrum. The platform for them to do so was certainly there, and I was optimistic…

Man was I wrong. First of all, what in the world is a golden amber lager? Second of all, and maybe of primary concern for me here is this advertising campaign, which is essentially doing the same thing as the Bud Light Platinum tried to do. That is, trying to convince a crowd of self-important wannabe “young professionals” that beer is cool, that their lives are unique and special, and that they need to show it off with this brew. Come on, you guys are too good for the blue collar Bud, that’s working man’s wash. What are you? A farmer or a steel worker? Didn’t think so! You guys are also waaay too mature for Bud Light, that’s what college kids drink, and you’re like totally over those years, wild as they were for each and every one of you private school heroes. You are a grown up now, on the verge of upper class, you got the job, you got the car, you got the lofted apartment downtown, now you need to stand out, you need a beer that fits your desired rung on the social ladder, that beer, is Budweiser Black Crown!

It is flat out offensive, this force fed commentary on socio-economic elitism, and on what beer should represent. I don’t mind a beer that lies about being “born from nature” or “frost brewed” or even an import that uses a little swagger to sell itself. What I do mind is an “I’m better than you and I’m going to drink it in” attitude, and that’s exactly what is going on here.

The beer itself is a shocker, and I’m furious about it. It pours an apple juice color with no head at all but a ton of soda bubbles racing to the surface frantically. Like a thick cream soda. The nose is repulsive, it made my girlfriend sick after one whiff, and I should have heeded the warning myself. It smells metallic, unfermentedly sweet, chemical, extracty, and rancid. I cannot pick out any grain, hops, or yeast at all. Maybe some stale bread aromas, like the crumbs that fall out when you turn the toaster upside down, but that’s about it.

The flavor is no better, although I tried hard to like this. I gave it three good glugs, trying to find a redeeming quality. Is that a nice fruity kick in there? Nope, that's an unturned compost pile rotting away in the summer sun. Is that some toasty grains giving this some sturdy body? Nope, that's corn syrup with additives trying to fool me. The third sip I had to force down, and for the first time ever, I hate to admit it, I drain poured it. Now I’ve worked my way through the worst of the worst, Mich Ultra, Corona Light, and all the rank ice beers and malt liquors that still grace the shelves at gas stations in this beloved country. I even wake up hungover some mornings and finish off somebody’s half drank, flat, warm IPA and derive some utility from it, but my God, I could not, for the life of me, get this crap down my throat.

Bud missed a major opportunity here to move into a niche between factory and craft beer. They lost most of the remaining respect I had for them, and honestly, the marketing of this beer is even worse than its taste. Never, never again Bud, will I give you the benefit of the doubt, defend you as the lesser of three evils (Bud, Miller, Coors), or admit that my very own mother spent the better part of a decade working for you. I am ashamed for you. This product needs to fail, and someone needs to be held accountable.

People get all up in arms about Marilyn Manson and Jersey Shore and video games corrupting youth and traditional values. This beer and its marketing campaign are guilty of a similar crime, and we should take to the streets about it!

02-04-2013 19:44:09 | More by StonedTrippin
obrendano

Maryland

1.5/5  rDev -46.2%

Like the open minded person I claim to be, I grabbed this in a mix and match run. less than two bucks, can't be a waste, right? well....

A - terrific amber color is about the only thing this one truly has going for it. head was fizzier than a bottle of soda and literally completely disappeared. COMPLETELY. I have never EVER had a head vanish without even a trace. I could not believe it

S - moderately nice crisp lager smell, light malt tones and citrusy grass.

T - Oh. my. god. This instantly shot up to the top of my list for THE most disgusting beer I have ever tasted in my life. Beer30 and regular Budweiser are masterpieces in comparison. overwhelming cooked veggies with a punch of sawdust behind it. no discernible hops. no toasty malt that I'd expect with a beer this color. foul. foul foul foul.

M - heavy and sticky in a bad way. just perpetuates the taste. had to drink water to get it all to go away.

O - even given the color, which at this point I can safely say could even be artificial, I cannot recommend this beer at all. to beer nerds, to regular Bud fans, to people looking to branch out, to anyone looking to try something new. No reason to recommend this. If this is an attempt on Bud's part to reach out into the craft world with its "beechwood aging" and the like, they need to rethink it. hell, American Ale was a great beer that I can't even find anymore. They should reinvest in that and just leave this one to rot.

08-15-2013 23:59:45 | More by obrendano
bonbright7

1.51/5  rDev -45.9%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

While I had seen the slick advertising for this beer, I dismissed it until I could taste one and form my own opinion. Taking it home from the store, I poured one into a tall glass and noted the definite amber look to it, much like an Oktoberfest style of beer. That was the high point.

With no discerning aroma, the first taste of the beer yielded a soapy and bland mouthfeel with a hint of caramel. Two more tastes of the beer were the same until I disposed of the remaining portion in the kitchen sink.

No hops, a medium-light body, and only a vague caramel taste to support it, I wondered if A-B was trying to recapture the lost 1970's glory of Michelob Lager with this beer.

10-19-2013 12:15:24 | More by bonbright7
Noxious26

Saskatchewan (Canada)

1.54/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Had this at the Regina Festiv-Ale on Jan 31st. 4 oz sampler.

Amber colour with off-white head.

Aroma is cloying. Super sweet. Cooked corn and corn syrup.

Cloyingly sweet and full of adjuncty flavours. Grainy, cooked veggies, corn syrup.

I'm glad I just had a sampler and didn't buy a 6 pack.

02-03-2014 00:58:56 | More by Noxious26
CharlyNovember

Ontario (Canada)

1.63/5  rDev -41.6%

I tried this a couple months back when my bar's AB rep gave us a sample 12 pack. This beer is being aggressively marketed right now here in Ontario... on television, in magazines, bars and LCs. I haven't noticed it picking up much steam, though, and there's a pretty good reason. It's a pretty bad beer.

Yeah, we get it AB! You're trying to ride the coat-tails of craft brew's success. That's all well and good, but you'll have to come up with something a bit (read "a LOT") better than this. Now, I'm going to review this from memory, as I have NO interest in trying one again, so bear with me.

Poured into a glass, fizzy, dissipating head with huge soda-pop bubbles. No memory of lace, most likely minimal to none. And the smell? Sweet corn.. like a regular bud, but far sweeter.

And MY OH MY THE TASTE!!! I remember all I could think was 'Jesus H.C.... Am I drinking Busch Ice?!'. Now, having just gotten back fro a music festival and camping weekend, there was a lot of cheap, strong brew being slugged. Namely Busch Ice. Bud Crown tasted uncannily like it. It was remarkable, really. With maybe a hint more sweetness from whatever brewer's malt the concoct the stuff with. It's really not that far of a stretch of the imagination to think they're the same base brew.. both AB products, both 6%. Both, uh, pretty gross. But at least Busch Ice is cheap as hell.

Anyways that's my two or three cents, take it or leave, hate it or like, run it or walk it, fry it or bake it, out of the can or out of a glass. Whatever. Just whatever your flavour is, be it craft of macro, stay clean away from Bud Crown. Gross.

---
Life alas is very dear, up with the glass, down with the beer!

11-12-2013 02:11:38 | More by CharlyNovember
kojevergas

1.69/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Acquired as part of a 12 pack at my local Von's grocery store. I bought it with a coupon but I can't recall the price. "Golden amber lager." 6.00% confirmed. Expectations are as low as low can be. Born on January 12th, 2013. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with a twist-off pressure cap and a black and gold sleek label served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. I'd serve this into a pilsner glass, but the one I have is dirty and I'm not expecting this to be anything worth giving that kind of attention to.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with a 75 cent frozen pizza (Totino's, if you must know).

A: Pours a one finger head - quite thin - without any cream or froth, and of bad (~30 second) retention. No real lacing as the head recedes. Body colour is a clear translucent copper with a vague amber hue. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. It's not much to look at, but it looks better than many other Budweiser beers I've seen. There are no huge flaws.

Sm: I'm surprised; it has a pleasant floral hop aroma with a healthy dose of caramalt filling out the body. Nicely sweet. Heavy banana, actually. Grassy and grainy. It comes off too sweet but I'm pleasantly surprised by the aroma; there seems to be actual flavour in this beer judging by the smell. Still, it's artificial and kind of a turn-off. A bit medicinal, even, like a honey-banana cough medicine - if such a monstrosity exists. An above average strength aroma.

T: Overly sweet. Artificial. Bleh. Artificial banana. Floral hop extract syrup. Artificial caramalt forming the body. No grains or grassiness in the flavour, just blandness and sugar. And corn adjunct. Medicinal and candy like. Ugh. Neutral nutty notes in the third act, but not nutty in a brown ale sense; more a muted chestnut. It's balanced in its poor character. No complexity or subtlety at all. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. I think I might actually prefer the bland watery taste of ordinary Budweiser; this is just too sweet and crappy.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Carbonation is a bit overdone but acceptable. Palate presence is okay. It's artificial and far too syrupy. Suits the flavour profile alright.

Dr: Far less drinkable than ordinary Budweiser or Bud Light; I'd definitely vomit faster if I played beer pong with this stuff. I was surprised it's as bad as it is, but if I had to pick out a decent characteristic it'd be the caramalt, which at least lends it a decent aroma. Hides its ABV well. Not at all recommended.

High F

02-22-2013 05:33:23 | More by kojevergas
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

1.76/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Portion of a 12 oz bottle into a Hunahpu's snifter. Let me repeat that: Budweiser Black Crown was poured into a Hunahpu's snifter. From notes.

A: Pours a light amber color, with a quickly fading white-shaded head.

S: Sweet caramel, cotton candy, and a pleasant lack of adjunct. Not 'good', however it's really not an awful nose.

T: Sadly, there's a more notable adjunct presence on the flavor, followed by a bit of caramel...and a whole lot of nothing. Vintage Budweiser!

M: It feels too thick and heavy on the palate given how flavorless it is. This should be easy to drink - and isn't.

O: Better than BL Platinum, I suppose. I've had it once, I never need to have it again.

03-24-2013 07:44:17 | More by ThisWangsChung
MIXMASTERICE

Missouri

1.83/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Saw this at my local C-store and decided I would give it a try. After all, it's black crown, so it must taste regal....right? Wrong. If I had to describe this beer it would be 3 parts bud, 2 parts Michelob Amber Bock. Tastes pretty bad and leaves a "twang" taste on your tongue after your done. Michelob Amber Bock isn't the greatest, but it deserves a crown a lot more than this crappy beer does. I'll stick with Sam Adams Boston Ale or even Miller Genuine Draft is better than the "Black Crown."

04-12-2014 07:08:11 | More by MIXMASTERICE
pkalix

look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

oh god, was I really thinking this had a chance at being better??
actually, it IS almost drinkable.... pour pi$$ urine yellow (?more yellow than the kirin I just had) . . . . smell is non-existent.... taste is . . . . geez, whatever.... I so wanted to be a part of that commercial where everybody is drinking the black crown and saluting the guy at the head of the table.... oh well, never mind.... barf. but I think I just MAY be able to finish this one if I hold my nose and guzzle . . . . .

11-03-2013 02:37:42 | More by pkalix
M_C_Hampton

Georgia

2.01/5  rDev -28%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, I'll put the bottle opener up since it's a twistie, pours a copper color with a short white head that dissipates quickly leaving no lacing, clear

S: sweet slightly boozy corn mash, sugary, maybe caramel

T: sweet, sweet, sweet, slight malt, mostly sugar, no hops, no depth of flavor, I don't like this

M: overly carbonated, watery, soda like, I can't tell the alcohol is there, the finish is as always clean

O: if you want to buy something from Budweiser get a plain ol Bud diesel, there is a reason it will be around long after Black Crown is gone, this beer is too much like a sweet beer flavored soda, it's trying to be a bock but falls short on all areas

02-13-2013 00:54:07 | More by M_C_Hampton
bourbonbock

2.05/5  rDev -26.5%

Picked up a 12 pack of this because of the awesome commercial during the superbowl... not really, it was just cheaper than buying soda.

A. Just on this side of amber from straw yellow. A little bit of head and an average amount of carbonation.

S. Typical budweiser lager aroma, sweet and perhaps a little bit of pears or roasted apples.

T. This beer doesn't have much flavor but it does taste a little more mature than regular bud however I think I would still prefer regular bud. It appears that they didn't want to wander to far from the path on this one and just threw a bag of caramel malt into the mash.

M. Light and smooth with a very light body and not much aftertaste.

Overall I don't know what this beer is trying to do. I would rather buy amber bock which at least has some balls. Don't bother with this one.

04-06-2013 22:01:55 | More by bourbonbock
flooshmander

2.1/5  rDev -24.7%

Skunk. Pure skunk.

I'm an average guy who lives in a safe neighborhood, enjoys golfing, and has some morals. After drinking one of these skunk beers I was immediately transported to a dirty front porch in a section 8 housing project with antagonizing rap music blasting.

That's a ghetto tasting beer!

06-01-2013 07:38:05 | More by flooshmander
troobie

2.13/5  rDev -23.7%

This is what Bud Ice should be (minus the price point.)

A: Amber. Large head that quickly dissipates to a ring that lasts the entire glass. Some lacing.

S: Smells like a cheap A-B product: Natty Ice, Bud Light Platinum. To be fair there is some Budweiser in the smell. Sugary sweetness dominates followed by alcohol. Some toasted bread. Some citrus. Creamed corn. The smell of rice found in Budweiser is barely present here.

T: Highly disappointing. Think 85% Bud Light Platinum, 15% Budweiser American Ale. The extra 1% ABV is noticeable and creates a warming all the way into my stomach (and brain.) I can't get over how sugary sweet this is. Every "regular" Budweiser flavor is in there and turned-up a little bit. Sorry if you've never had Budweiser as I don't know how to review the taste on this without relating it to Budweiser.

M: Champagne-like carbonation. With a very aggressive pour carbonation is above average, and without an aggressive pour it borders on ridiculous. I really like carbonation in my beers, but this is over the top.

O: I really enjoy Budweiser. Budweiser American Ale seemed like a genuine attempt to step outside the box for A-B. Black Crown seems like an attempt to just sell more beer by finding a few (million) people that like this unique taste. Like Bud Light Platinum, I'll have no desire to buy this again. Even crappy Bud Ice is better than this. I sincerely hope that A-B will one day use its massive resources to brew a truly wonderful version of Budweiser.

01-21-2013 09:14:35 | More by troobie
vette2006c5r

2.13/5  rDev -23.7%

Black Crown Pours a clear golden color with a nice large head, and nice carbonation. Smells likes ass and soap. Taste is very soap and damp. Poor flavors make it undrinkable. Overall its not the worst offering from there, but the taste is just not there.

08-20-2013 02:54:36 | More by vette2006c5r
wejohnsn

2.18/5  rDev -21.9%

I saw the commercial for this during the Superbowl and thought i would give it a try. this is the full bodies version of Bud Lite Platinum. tastes a little better than regular bud, slightly stronger alcohol. i would pic it over regular bud or miller but i wont go out of my way to get it again.

i was a bit disappointed. Knowing that Budweiser was bought by a European brewer I expected a better brew after watching the commercial. i was hoping for something along the lines of a European lager.

02-17-2013 14:56:21 | More by wejohnsn
Bitterbill

Wyoming

2.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Part of a mixed 6 pack.

A- not very amber...quite gold in colour, big head of foam, not much lacing.

S- grainy, with a mix of some sweetness and a touch of bitterness. Not much of an aroma at all.

T- pretty bland tasting. The grain is the highlight as I find the malt dull/muted, brings nothing to the table. What hoppiness is there is a mere non enjoyable bitter flavour that also doesn't do anything good for the beer.

M- bigger body than Bud but the carbonation is vrazy fizzy.

O- pretty poor example of a Red Lager, not even a good example of a beer.

06-22-2013 12:36:18 | More by Bitterbill
scarfacecrowe

Missouri

2.2/5  rDev -21.1%

This was a very disappointing beer from Anheuser-Busch, not much taste or smell and the color reminded me of weak tea, know need to go into an in depth analysis. Would much rather drink bud, busch or even select over this beer. I think I will stick with the micro brews made in the area.

Serving type: growler

12-13-2013 05:47:27 | More by scarfacecrowe
orcsinspace

2.23/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

The latest attempt for Budweiser to branch out. I liked the American ale or lager (I forget what it was) that they had a few years back better. This was mediocre at best, and I would much rather have had a Bud.

This wasn't exactly terrible, but it was middle of the pack for an American Amber Lager. That is not saying much since there are tons of this style of beer available in my market from brewpubs to microbrews, and many of them are indistinguishably. I am starting to call this style "house beer" because it is becoming the new generic.

This beer was totally unmemorable. I am not going to just slam it outright because it is a big brewery trying to get into the craft market, it is a decent effort; it is just that there is nothing really going for this beer.

The flavor was lacking a crisp finish that I have come to expect with amber lagers, and there was a little too much body to the taste. There is a definite caramel flavor going on which makes the flavor alright, but nothing to write home about.

One thing I really did not like about this beer is the fact that I already know it is going to fail. Absolutely no one is going to buy this beer on a regular basis, because people that like adjunct lagers are going to dislike it, and people that are too refined and close minded that already hate it because it is a Budweiser product will never even give it a chance. The fact is, is that Black Crown is not really any different than the myriad of craft brews popping up all around right now that feature an American amber lager, and I am absolutely positive that in a blind taste test, no one could tell one apart from the other.

I will say that the smell is okay, the taste is not really bad or good, and the color is a reddish one. Outside of that, there is not much going on here but it does hold up to other beers that are exactly like it.

03-09-2013 15:41:49 | More by orcsinspace
cpolking

Iowa

2.24/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

The beer pours a light amber to dark golden in color. There is a large white head that disappears quickly. The aroma is toasted malt, lightly burnt bread crumbs, slightly sweet with a light grassiness on the end. The taste follows the aromas, quite toasted, lightly sweet, with a grassy and lightly bitter finish. There is an unpleasant overcooked brussell spout note that permeates the entire thing.

01-18-2013 21:46:19 | More by cpolking
Damian74Shensky

South Carolina

2.25/5  rDev -19.4%

Comes in a 220z Black Bottle poured in a pint glass.

Its says its a Golden Amber Lager.

A -Nice 2 inch head that dissipates quickly. Nice Golden color.

S- Smells like Roasted barley, kinda like Bud.

T- I don't know if my palate isn't just that good but This taste like Bud with a kick.

M- Watery, thin no body. Just awful.

O- Cool bottle was only $2 but its Bud, surprised I even bought it.

01-01-2013 00:14:27 | More by Damian74Shensky
jesus808

2.26/5  rDev -19%

Very disappointed with this beer. At best, an average lawnmower beer for the summer. But there are enough of these. The manufacturer led me to believe that this was something better than average. So, my money didn't go to Stone, Dogfish Head, Drakes, or any other smaller but better brewery. So, I'm the sucker. You don't need me to convince you what you'll achieve by drinking this. Good luck.

02-22-2013 04:57:13 | More by jesus808
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.28/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Can: Poured a light brown color lager with a medium head with limited retention and very subtle lacing. Aroma consists of light cereal with grainy caramel malt. Taste is also dominated by grainy cereal notes with light caramel adjunct notes. Body is thin with OK carbonation. Worst than I was expecting.

Serving type: can

03-29-2014 00:14:54 | More by Phyl21ca
tectactoe

2.3/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Took a small sample of Jeff's - gotta try everything I guess. Pours a golden-amber hybrid with stunning clarity and a head that fizzles away almost before I'm done pouring my damn sample. Looks similar to a regular Bud, though a darker shade - more amber than straw. Definitely looks better, though. The aroma is... almost nonexistent. Took me three or four really big whiffs to really pull anything from this one, and when I did - it still wasn't that great. Graininess, lightly toasted caramel malts, musky and grassy hops, metal. Had slightly more sustenance than a Budweiser, but what is that really saying?

The taste was different, to say the least. Heavy crispiness from the carbonation, followed by some corn, grains, light caramel, wet/sour wood, and an extremely light hop character, with an almost astringent bitterness in the aftertaste (albeit a very low bitterness). Tastes like someone mixed a Budweiser with a 6-month old Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. Honestly. It was like a pale ale that was left sitting on the shelves and much of the hop character has died out, leaving behind mild hop flavor with some light, toasted malts. But this beer still had that distinct "Budweiser twinge" to it. Sounds ridiculous, I know. But try it and tell me I'm not right. Must be the beachwood aging? Crisp mouthfeel, light and airy on the palate.

Final verdict? Better than Bud Light, Budweiser, and the rest of the lot, but still nowhere near good enough to require a second purchase.

02-25-2013 04:47:58 | More by tectactoe