Budweiser Black Crown - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Damian74Shensky on 01-01-2013)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Black Crown Alström Bros
dgfool

Connecticut

07-06-2014 23:57:37 | More by GriswoldR3
Beertender01

1.03/5  rDev -62.5%

I'm sorry guys, but this one is something I will never buy again.
The best thing I can say about it is that I can taste the beachwood aging. But it all goes terribly wrong from there. No other taste worth mentioning. No real smells (which I suppose could be a good thing). Mouthfeel... Ok, it was carbonated. Perhaps not as much as a usual AB beer.

Anyhow, I expect this one to fade from the market quite quickly.

03-06-2013 21:39:41 | More by Beertender01
Justin-m

1.08/5  rDev -60.7%

08-27-2014 02:06:12 | More by Justin-m
KarenG69

1.15/5  rDev -58.2%

Budwiser's new "Black Crown" has a unique and interesting flavor profile. - No one ever
This tastes like Bud in a black bottle. This is regular bud in a black bottle. This is not beer. Also, the head is weak and goes away almost immediately. Giving this beer a 1 for smell is a lie. It is actually a 0.

01-27-2013 02:33:15 | More by KarenG69
StonedTrippin

Colorado

1.18/5  rDev -57.1%

What the hell is this!?

I should start by saying that when this was first advertised mysteriously as Budweiser Black a few months ago, I thought we might see them try to go in a new direction, make a mass appeal black lager or something. You know, a darker beer with some decent roasty characteristics, but dumbed down for the less discerning palates that they cater to, sort of hit that middle of the road, Shock Top drinking crowd on the dark end of the spectrum. The platform for them to do so was certainly there, and I was optimistic…

Man was I wrong. First of all, what in the world is a golden amber lager? Second of all, and maybe of primary concern for me here is this advertising campaign, which is essentially doing the same thing as the Bud Light Platinum tried to do. That is, trying to convince a crowd of self-important wannabe “young professionals” that beer is cool, that their lives are unique and special, and that they need to show it off with this brew. Come on, you guys are too good for the blue collar Bud, that’s working man’s wash. What are you? A farmer or a steel worker? Didn’t think so! You guys are also waaay too mature for Bud Light, that’s what college kids drink, and you’re like totally over those years, wild as they were for each and every one of you private school heroes. You are a grown up now, on the verge of upper class, you got the job, you got the car, you got the lofted apartment downtown, now you need to stand out, you need a beer that fits your desired rung on the social ladder, that beer, is Budweiser Black Crown!

It is flat out offensive, this force fed commentary on socio-economic elitism, and on what beer should represent. I don’t mind a beer that lies about being “born from nature” or “frost brewed” or even an import that uses a little swagger to sell itself. What I do mind is an “I’m better than you and I’m going to drink it in” attitude, and that’s exactly what is going on here.

The beer itself is a shocker, and I’m furious about it. It pours an apple juice color with no head at all but a ton of soda bubbles racing to the surface frantically. Like a thick cream soda. The nose is repulsive, it made my girlfriend sick after one whiff, and I should have heeded the warning myself. It smells metallic, unfermentedly sweet, chemical, extracty, and rancid. I cannot pick out any grain, hops, or yeast at all. Maybe some stale bread aromas, like the crumbs that fall out when you turn the toaster upside down, but that’s about it.

The flavor is no better, although I tried hard to like this. I gave it three good glugs, trying to find a redeeming quality. Is that a nice fruity kick in there? Nope, that's an unturned compost pile rotting away in the summer sun. Is that some toasty grains giving this some sturdy body? Nope, that's corn syrup with additives trying to fool me. The third sip I had to force down, and for the first time ever, I hate to admit it, I drain poured it. Now I’ve worked my way through the worst of the worst, Mich Ultra, Corona Light, and all the rank ice beers and malt liquors that still grace the shelves at gas stations in this beloved country. I even wake up hungover some mornings and finish off somebody’s half drank, flat, warm IPA and derive some utility from it, but my God, I could not, for the life of me, get this crap down my throat.

Bud missed a major opportunity here to move into a niche between factory and craft beer. They lost most of the remaining respect I had for them, and honestly, the marketing of this beer is even worse than its taste. Never, never again Bud, will I give you the benefit of the doubt, defend you as the lesser of three evils (Bud, Miller, Coors), or admit that my very own mother spent the better part of a decade working for you. I am ashamed for you. This product needs to fail, and someone needs to be held accountable.

People get all up in arms about Marilyn Manson and Jersey Shore and video games corrupting youth and traditional values. This beer and its marketing campaign are guilty of a similar crime, and we should take to the streets about it!

02-04-2013 19:44:09 | More by StonedTrippin