Budweiser Black Crown - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Damian74Shensky on 01-01-2013)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Black Crown Alström Bros

1.5/5  rDev -45.1%

Like the open minded person I claim to be, I grabbed this in a mix and match run. less than two bucks, can't be a waste, right? well....

A - terrific amber color is about the only thing this one truly has going for it. head was fizzier than a bottle of soda and literally completely disappeared. COMPLETELY. I have never EVER had a head vanish without even a trace. I could not believe it

S - moderately nice crisp lager smell, light malt tones and citrusy grass.

T - Oh. my. god. This instantly shot up to the top of my list for THE most disgusting beer I have ever tasted in my life. Beer30 and regular Budweiser are masterpieces in comparison. overwhelming cooked veggies with a punch of sawdust behind it. no discernible hops. no toasty malt that I'd expect with a beer this color. foul. foul foul foul.

M - heavy and sticky in a bad way. just perpetuates the taste. had to drink water to get it all to go away.

O - even given the color, which at this point I can safely say could even be artificial, I cannot recommend this beer at all. to beer nerds, to regular Bud fans, to people looking to branch out, to anyone looking to try something new. No reason to recommend this. If this is an attempt on Bud's part to reach out into the craft world with its "beechwood aging" and the like, they need to rethink it. hell, American Ale was a great beer that I can't even find anymore. They should reinvest in that and just leave this one to rot.

1.5/5  rDev -45.1%

I'd rather a standard Bud or even Bud lite in terms of price v quality.

Muyton dressed as lamb.

1.51/5  rDev -44.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

While I had seen the slick advertising for this beer, I dismissed it until I could taste one and form my own opinion. Taking it home from the store, I poured one into a tall glass and noted the definite amber look to it, much like an Oktoberfest style of beer. That was the high point.

With no discerning aroma, the first taste of the beer yielded a soapy and bland mouthfeel with a hint of caramel. Two more tastes of the beer were the same until I disposed of the remaining portion in the kitchen sink.

No hops, a medium-light body, and only a vague caramel taste to support it, I wondered if A-B was trying to recapture the lost 1970's glory of Michelob Lager with this beer.

1.54/5  rDev -43.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Had this at the Regina Festiv-Ale on Jan 31st. 4 oz sampler.

Amber colour with off-white head.

Aroma is cloying. Super sweet. Cooked corn and corn syrup.

Cloyingly sweet and full of adjuncty flavours. Grainy, cooked veggies, corn syrup.

I'm glad I just had a sampler and didn't buy a 6 pack.

1.6/5  rDev -41.4%

1.63/5  rDev -40.3%

I tried this a couple months back when my bar's AB rep gave us a sample 12 pack. This beer is being aggressively marketed right now here in Ontario... on television, in magazines, bars and LCs. I haven't noticed it picking up much steam, though, and there's a pretty good reason. It's a pretty bad beer.

Yeah, we get it AB! You're trying to ride the coat-tails of craft brew's success. That's all well and good, but you'll have to come up with something a bit (read "a LOT") better than this. Now, I'm going to review this from memory, as I have NO interest in trying one again, so bear with me.

Poured into a glass, fizzy, dissipating head with huge soda-pop bubbles. No memory of lace, most likely minimal to none. And the smell? Sweet corn.. like a regular bud, but far sweeter.

And MY OH MY THE TASTE!!! I remember all I could think was 'Jesus H.C.... Am I drinking Busch Ice?!'. Now, having just gotten back fro a music festival and camping weekend, there was a lot of cheap, strong brew being slugged. Namely Busch Ice. Bud Crown tasted uncannily like it. It was remarkable, really. With maybe a hint more sweetness from whatever brewer's malt the concoct the stuff with. It's really not that far of a stretch of the imagination to think they're the same base brew.. both AB products, both 6%. Both, uh, pretty gross. But at least Busch Ice is cheap as hell.

Anyways that's my two or three cents, take it or leave, hate it or like, run it or walk it, fry it or bake it, out of the can or out of a glass. Whatever. Just whatever your flavour is, be it craft of macro, stay clean away from Bud Crown. Gross.

---
Life alas is very dear, up with the glass, down with the beer!

1.69/5  rDev -38.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Acquired as part of a 12 pack at my local Von's grocery store. I bought it with a coupon but I can't recall the price. "Golden amber lager." 6.00% confirmed. Expectations are as low as low can be. Born on January 12th, 2013. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with a twist-off pressure cap and a black and gold sleek label served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. I'd serve this into a pilsner glass, but the one I have is dirty and I'm not expecting this to be anything worth giving that kind of attention to.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with a 75 cent frozen pizza (Totino's, if you must know).

A: Pours a one finger head - quite thin - without any cream or froth, and of bad (~30 second) retention. No real lacing as the head recedes. Body colour is a clear translucent copper with a vague amber hue. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. It's not much to look at, but it looks better than many other Budweiser beers I've seen. There are no huge flaws.

Sm: I'm surprised; it has a pleasant floral hop aroma with a healthy dose of caramalt filling out the body. Nicely sweet. Heavy banana, actually. Grassy and grainy. It comes off too sweet but I'm pleasantly surprised by the aroma; there seems to be actual flavour in this beer judging by the smell. Still, it's artificial and kind of a turn-off. A bit medicinal, even, like a honey-banana cough medicine - if such a monstrosity exists. An above average strength aroma.

T: Overly sweet. Artificial. Bleh. Artificial banana. Floral hop extract syrup. Artificial caramalt forming the body. No grains or grassiness in the flavour, just blandness and sugar. And corn adjunct. Medicinal and candy like. Ugh. Neutral nutty notes in the third act, but not nutty in a brown ale sense; more a muted chestnut. It's balanced in its poor character. No complexity or subtlety at all. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. I think I might actually prefer the bland watery taste of ordinary Budweiser; this is just too sweet and crappy.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Carbonation is a bit overdone but acceptable. Palate presence is okay. It's artificial and far too syrupy. Suits the flavour profile alright.

Dr: Far less drinkable than ordinary Budweiser or Bud Light; I'd definitely vomit faster if I played beer pong with this stuff. I was surprised it's as bad as it is, but if I had to pick out a decent characteristic it'd be the caramalt, which at least lends it a decent aroma. Hides its ABV well. Not at all recommended.

High F