Budweiser Black Crown - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Damian74Shensky on 01-01-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Black Crown Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,030 | Reviews: 213
2.28/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Can: Poured a light brown color lager with a medium head with limited retention and very subtle lacing. Aroma consists of light cereal with grainy caramel malt. Taste is also dominated by grainy cereal notes with light caramel adjunct notes. Body is thin with OK carbonation. Worst than I was expecting.

3.21/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A good finger of head on a clear, amber colored body. The aroma is a little grain with some fruit, the beechwood is evident too. Smells nice. The taste is balanced and smooth. It has only the mildest bitterness to go with it’s malty body (for a lager). The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation. It’s a smooth and tasty lager.

1.5/5  rDev -45.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Not sure what they going for here

3.88/5  rDev +41.6%

Budweiser Black Crown brewed by Anheuser-Busch.The brew pours out a nice amber color with a small white head. This brew has an ABV of 6.0 but it goes down real smooth . The smell is the same as american style beer. The taste is heavy with a lot of flavor. This brew is really filling. Nothing Bad about this brew. Over all I give this beer a 4 out of 5.

4.58/5  rDev +67.2%

I love this beer. Take the Fortune 100 Budweiser name off of the front and they'd be drinking it in Harvard Square.

The color of the beer is awesome - very nice caramel'esque appearance. I enjoyed the nose - pleasant and certainly anything but overpowering. The taste was great. This beer isn't trying to do too much - it's solid, smooth, and well rounded. Very impressed with this effort, notwithstanding it's brethren.

3.32/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-clear gold color with a small white head that does not hold
S-sweet grain smell
T-sweet taste that has some hop bitterness that stays with you til the end
M-light body and medium carbonation
O-This has more taste that most beers from the big brewers enjoyed it

1.56/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Had this at the Regina Festiv-Ale on Jan 31st. 4 oz sampler.

Amber colour with off-white head.

Aroma is cloying. Super sweet. Cooked corn and corn syrup.

Cloyingly sweet and full of adjuncty flavours. Grainy, cooked veggies, corn syrup.

I'm glad I just had a sampler and didn't buy a 6 pack.

3.09/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Pours a very clear, very light copper or amber in color with a decent white head of average retention.
Aroma: I pick up some alcohol along with some graininess and sweet caramel.
Taste: Sweet up front, kind of caramel taffy. Light bodied and a dry finish.
It was all right, didn't care for the alcohol in the aroma.

2.88/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Disappointing. Immediately concluded the beverage was just another attempt by a giant producer to raise the APV and gain or maintain market share that way. Budweiser, a true American icon needs to lead the way, not follow the crowd. Unlike "plain old Bud" which has many distinctive characteristics, Black Crown has none other than its "me too" persona. Really disappointed. I expected much more.

3.39/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'll be upfront on this, for a Budweiser product, I feel this is quite good. It is not an exceptional brew by any means, but it does taste a lot better than anything else they produce that I have had.

The appearance gets a 3, as it is really nothing great, nor poor.
The smell is pretty similar to any likewise lagers, but I'd say a bit better than your regular Budweiser.
Taste is what I enjoy most for this product (Asides from it's 6% ABV and Price tag), I feel it is not at all bad for a Macro American Amber Lager.
Mouthfeel is basic, nothing special, but nice enough.

I feel this product deserves a solid 3.50. It is of course not an award winning or wonderful beer, but for the price, and being a Budweiser product, It isn't half bad.

If you want a cheap, decent ABV Amber Lager, and aren't looking for anything fancy, you might just enjoy it.

2.77/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

I'm writing this from memory because I will never buy it again, yet it was something that seemed to stand out in the BMC crowd. The local gas station had yet to start selling new belgium and other micro's so I gave it a go.

Poured a bland amber, just slightly darker than the yellow bud is. No head really.

Smell was just like budweiser. Nothing really other than just bland corn and rice, with a hint of malt.

Taste was ok with a mild darker malt flavor that kinda made it seem ok.

Feel was nice.

Overall better than most BMC.

3.39/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

It seems as though The CANQuest (TM) has imbued me with a modicum of prescience! It took about ten months, but I stumbled across a couple of CANs while browsing at Connecticut Avenue Wine & Liquor Deli in DC before going into KramerBooks & AfterWords. I knew that someone at ABInBev would hear my impassioned plea to put this beer in a CAN.

From the CAN: "Distinctively Smooth, Beechwood Finished"; "Golden Amber Lager".

The black tab of the CAN had a crown die-cut out of it, making the Crack! all that much more memorable! It was a 16 fl. oz./pint CAN, so I employed a shaker glass as the vessel into which it was Glugged as this tends to avoid overflow when the CAN is inverted. Once more, I must marvel at the engineering that goes into an ABInBev beer. I began with a finger of puffy, French Vanilla-colored head that fell rather quickly. It was the color and clarity that really captured my attention, however. Bright? Hell, it achieved filament brightness, enabling me to see the filament in the bulb to which I was holding up the beer! The color was a deep gold (SRM = > 7, < 9) and I have never seen the Unholy Trio of Midas, Mammon and Croesus appear so quickly. I took pity on them for once and allowed each one a sip since they were obviously enamored of it. Nose was sweeter than many of ABInBev's other beers: rich, with a caramel/coconut aspect. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was more towards caramel, but I was still getting some coconut. Hmm. It was not bad, per se, but just a bit too sweet for my sensibilities. Decent lacing began to form as I drank through it. It was not hard to drink, in fact, it was quite quaffable to the point that I was powering through it, causing MCM to look downcast, so I let them have some more. I kid you not, this was an absolutely gorgeous beer, which may be the best thing that I CAN say about it. The finish was pretty sweet, enough to leave me ready to drink another beer, preferably something hop-forward.

My initial bottle review, dtd 03-06-2013 follows:

Another from my "neighbor's" cooler. As usual, I am game to try anything once.

From the bottle: "Distinctively smooth, beechwood aged"; "Golden Amber Lager"; "We challenged our 12 Budweiser Brewmasters to create a new masterpiece. Six unique beers were crafted and sampled across America. One was chosen. This amber lager's toasted caramel malt notes and smooth finish earned it the black crown."

I will say this about ABInBev beers - they never lack for carbonation and effervescence. I started out with a finger-and-a-half of foamy french vanilla-colored head and it slowly fizzled down to less than a pinky's worth. Color and clarity were both fabulous with a deep-amber like you might see prehistoric bugs encased in and the opportunity to see all that there was to see, which in this case was the other side of the glass, the other side of the room, et al. I saw where previous reviewers mentioned its smell and it was nice, to be sure. It had a lightly toasted smell, sweet, but not necessarily caramel. More toward coconut. Mouthfeel was soft, especially after all of the initial carbonation. The taste was toasty, bready, not really even all that sweet. Finish was semi-dry and refreshing. It really was not a bad effort, although not a "masterpiece". If they put it in a CAN, I would be willing to try it again, but otherwise, it is one among many of its style.

2.38/5  rDev -13.1%

Appearance was surprisingly disappointing because normally you would expect and receive a good head on any beer from a large brewery like this. Not much here, and it fades fast. Nose is also a bit muted with some light grain aromas. Palate has a very light malty taste, whiff of alcohol heat, and not much else going on. Not as extremely light bodied as I was expecting and yet it is fairly drinkable. Just doesn't come across at all as any sort of flavor-focused beer.

4.77/5  rDev +74.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

I'm a longtime Bud fan and recently tried this variation. First bottle, I thought "it's OK", but by the second bottle I decided that I really like it. Not too far off in taste from original Bud. I don't think it will replace my favorite (regular Budweiser), but I much prefer Black Crown over most micro brews. Good stuff!

4.48/5  rDev +63.5%

My rating is what I give Budweiser Black Crown and is based on the comparison between Black Crown and all of the other Budweiser Beer. This is the best Budweiser yet. I am surprised it has such low ratings. I have been drinking bud off and on for 15 years, and most of the time it tastes like piss water; but of course, after the first few regular buds, it does get better.. That aside :), this is a great beer. I was at the store and was considering other beers (micro brews) but saw Black Crown - hadn't seen it before. Got the 12 pack home, hoping it tasted a tad bit better than piss water... and it did. It tasted a lot better. Budweiser will never be known for being elegant, or taste like most micro brews, but this is the beer to get if you need something that tastes good on the first sip while keeping more money in your wallet/paypal acct /bitcoin acct/etc. :D The aftertaste, after consuming a taco and sipping on the beer isn't the greatest, but drinking this beer while eating is wonderful. I wrote this 3 beers in.

3.29/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Served in a Becker pint.

Body is a copper - amber hue. Clear and slightly carb'd. The off-white, ahem, crown builds to two-finger's. Lace curtains left as the billowy stuff droops.

Wheaty bouquet, some mashed apple, pear, general light sweetness mainly.

The flavors are very close to the nose. The sweeter wheat malt base is the most forward. A little hoppy earthiness in the finish. Muddled flavors of apple and wheat beyond that.

Feel is actually decent. It drinks smooth, light bubble tingling noted. More light than medium body thanks to this.

Color me surprised! This stuff is drinkable. And it even has moments of being enjoyable! Give it a go if you are curious or need that tick fix.

2.22/5  rDev -19%

This was a very disappointing beer from Anheuser-Busch, not much taste or smell and the color reminded me of weak tea, know need to go into an in depth analysis. Would much rather drink bud, busch or even select over this beer. I think I will stick with the micro brews made in the area.

2.86/5  rDev +4.4%

12oz bottle poured into a Pint.

A-Deep copped color. Very clear and refined.Leaves a shred of white lacing down the glass.
S-Not a very prominant scent. Grainy at most.
T- Considering it comes from 1 of the big 3 Im impressed at what the attempt is. Full bodied grainy taste with a very subtle hop bite at the exhale. This beer is NOT a craft drinkers beer, but good enough for those pushing the limits of their Natty light college careers.
M-Carbonated, malty, slight citrus, beachwood smokey and bitter for a Bud.

O- overall not a bad beer for people who are beginng to explore the world of beer. A foot in the door. I could drink a couple on a sunday.

1.63/5  rDev -40.5%

I tried this a couple months back when my bar's AB rep gave us a sample 12 pack. This beer is being aggressively marketed right now here in Ontario... on television, in magazines, bars and LCs. I haven't noticed it picking up much steam, though, and there's a pretty good reason. It's a pretty bad beer.

Yeah, we get it AB! You're trying to ride the coat-tails of craft brew's success. That's all well and good, but you'll have to come up with something a bit (read "a LOT") better than this. Now, I'm going to review this from memory, as I have NO interest in trying one again, so bear with me.

Poured into a glass, fizzy, dissipating head with huge soda-pop bubbles. No memory of lace, most likely minimal to none. And the smell? Sweet corn.. like a regular bud, but far sweeter.

And MY OH MY THE TASTE!!! I remember all I could think was 'Jesus H.C.... Am I drinking Busch Ice?!'. Now, having just gotten back fro a music festival and camping weekend, there was a lot of cheap, strong brew being slugged. Namely Busch Ice. Bud Crown tasted uncannily like it. It was remarkable, really. With maybe a hint more sweetness from whatever brewer's malt the concoct the stuff with. It's really not that far of a stretch of the imagination to think they're the same base brew.. both AB products, both 6%. Both, uh, pretty gross. But at least Busch Ice is cheap as hell.

Anyways that's my two or three cents, take it or leave, hate it or like, run it or walk it, fry it or bake it, out of the can or out of a glass. Whatever. Just whatever your flavour is, be it craft of macro, stay clean away from Bud Crown. Gross.

---
Life alas is very dear, up with the glass, down with the beer!

2.95/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I got a finger of off-white head over a light amber body. Head dissipates in a minute or so, no lacing detected.

Smells grainy, sweet, almost has a chemical smell to it.

Sweet and grainy. A little hint of caramel is tucked in there. Tastes better than expected.

Mouthfeel is light bodied. Quite refreshing.

1.97/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

oh god, was I really thinking this had a chance at being better??
actually, it IS almost drinkable.... pour pi$$ urine yellow (?more yellow than the kirin I just had) . . . . smell is non-existent.... taste is . . . . geez, whatever.... I so wanted to be a part of that commercial where everybody is drinking the black crown and saluting the guy at the head of the table.... oh well, never mind.... barf. but I think I just MAY be able to finish this one if I hold my nose and guzzle . . . . .

2.79/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

On tap at Blue Cactus Ottawa for $7

Appearance - Clear amber/copper colour with an average size off-white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for around 3-4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, corn, caramel

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, caramel, and very light hops. There is also some corn and a graininess.

Overall - Hey, it's a step in the right direction for BMC drinkers I guess. Really boring taste wise and not something I'd have any reason to order again.

3.29/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a slightly transparent amber color with a white head that dissipates quickly. Small amount of lacing. Smell a faint smoky aroma. Has a light body feel in the mouth with the taste of grain and some sweetness. Almost no bitterness of hops. After taste of smokey gran is very good. Goes down smooth. Over all a good beer and wish I had another.

1.53/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

While I had seen the slick advertising for this beer, I dismissed it until I could taste one and form my own opinion. Taking it home from the store, I poured one into a tall glass and noted the definite amber look to it, much like an Oktoberfest style of beer. That was the high point.

With no discerning aroma, the first taste of the beer yielded a soapy and bland mouthfeel with a hint of caramel. Two more tastes of the beer were the same until I disposed of the remaining portion in the kitchen sink.

No hops, a medium-light body, and only a vague caramel taste to support it, I wondered if A-B was trying to recapture the lost 1970's glory of Michelob Lager with this beer.

3.06/5  rDev +11.7%

A clear gold, it might lean darker but it's not amber, much less red. It does, however, have a reasonably-sized yellowish cap of head with decent retention that lays down some spotting.
It's a bit grassy with a little bit of a creamy, maybe toffee, sort of sweetness to balance under a grainy backbone. There's a hint of spiciness in the nose not found in the flavor. Some biscuit shows up underneath with a slight dryness despite the sweeter aspects.
There's an almost cloying aspect to this beer which is fortunately kept at bay by a dryness that's while subdued, does counter it. The body is light, a bit too light, but crispness doesn't disappoint.

Budweiser Black Crown from Anheuser-Busch