Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Budweiser Black Crown - Anheuser-Busch

Budweiser Black CrownBudweiser Black Crown

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Damian74Shensky on 01-01-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Black Crown Alström Bros
Reviews: 193 | Hads: 1,046
2.87/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Poured into a glass. A nice head although it fades quickly. The smell is actually pleasant, a light malty aroma. The flavor is not spectacular but unlike its "bud" cousins its actually palletable and i find myself enjoying it and not chugging. Malty and slightly hoppy, the taste lacks the watered down effect of other big brews. Overall a solid beer. Would much rather drink this then budweiser. Its no craft brew but i definatly reccomend this as its refreshing and not too expensive.

1.82/5  rDev -35.7%

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass

A: First off, this beer looks really light, thin, watery, and clear. has a nice amount of carbonation streaming, bright white head, little head retention after a minute or so, little bit of lacing.

A: Malts, grains, more musty than anything, not good.

T: Slight malts, grainy, earthy flavors, finishes very musty, strong aftertaste.

M: Lots of carbonation, thin, watery, refreshing on the palate.

O: Black Crown actually started out well on the flavor, crisp, refreshing but it finishes horrible. It has a strong musty aftertaste that reminds of old stale beer. It's thin, watery, but it is refreshing and I could see why someone might drink a whole bunch of these on a hot day. It just doesn't pack enough flavor to make it enjoyable.

1.68/5  rDev -40.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.5

Surprisingly not undrinkable. Still has that typical Budweiser disgustingness to it overall, but this is a little more fleshed out, with a bready kick to it that appears perhaps only for a second or two, but is there nonetheless. This is the first "new" Bud product I've sampled in many years, possibly well over a decade. I won't ever do it again, but it was an interesting experiment.

3.3/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I have low expectations for Anheuser-Busch products. While this is a simple tasting beer that would by no means interest the average craft beer drinker it does greatly exceed my expectations going to sampling it.

2.89/5  rDev +2.1%

Almost, but not quite. Much better than most AB attempts, especially those in Bud family, but I think this beer is supposed to be compared to some of the craft stuff, and is priced that way too. That being said, it's not great. I would much rather spend my $$$ on many other beers.

3.65/5  rDev +29%

I actually really enjoyed this to my surprise. Has a sweet but not overbearing quality and is very smooth. I could drink these all day. Basically no hop bite but an interesting beer if you want something you don't need to disect.

If you like the taste and drink-ability of A-B beers, you'll love this one. Best of the Budweiser/Michelob lineage. A great tasting beer that's available at any gas station, C-store or supermarket.

1.96/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

I like craft beers, I like bud light and I thought this would be worth a try. It was like a watered down amber ale with apple flavoring. Attractive packaging, but I can't imaging they'll be brewing this one for the long term.

2.76/5  rDev -2.5%

I try to avoid generic reviewing practices, but this beer is just that. It is kind of down the middle in an okay way. A clean beer with plenty or carbonation. I almost picked up an apple juice type of aftertaste. I like to abuse Bud, but I wasn't angry with this. I would say it may be my favourite beer in the Budweiser line. When you brew on the level that Anheuser-Busch does (supplying the world) this may be as good as it gets.

4.43/5  rDev +56.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours a golden-amber color (guess they knew what they were doing by writing "GOLDEN AMBER LAGER" on the bottle!), nice head for the style, decent lacing, moderately carbonated. Aroma - roasty toasty bready notes, lightly sweet, faint hops, maybe some faint green apple. Taste - follows nose perfectly. Finishes crisp with no aftertaste. No alcohol at all at 6%. Fantastic.

This is an outstanding lager. I really don't know what all of these people who give terrible reviews of this beer are expecting. I've read several, so it's not like I'm just ranting without reason. It truly appears they either don't know what they're talking about, simply hate lagers and/or large brewers, or just are making things up to suit the terrible rating they give.

Whatever the case, it's a bit sad. Wonderful beer, would recommend to all.

2.62/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

The only reason I got this was because I had a very limited selection and I didn't want to buy a sugary cheap cider or wine cooler. Brewed a month and a half ago and poured into a goblet.

Look: Crystal clear amber with a quickly diminishing white head and carbonation that swirls upwards as if trying to escape.

Smell: Mild fruity yeast and cracker with a touch of alcohol.

Taste: Exactly mimics the nose with cracker malt, mild fruity yeast, and a tiny bit of alcohol.

Feel: Very crisp and dry at the end. Lots of carbonation.

Overall: This is a Budweiser variety, need I say more? It's cheaply made and I wouldn't be surprised if the little malt that there is were malt extract. You might as well get Fat Tire if you are looking for a mild flavor such as this, even though this is an amber lager and not an amber ale. Oh, and not to mention Fat Tire is brewed by one of the best breweries ever.

3.78/5  rDev +33.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

This is a good beer. Smooth with a little kick. Throw in sal y and a Lime and it gives it that extra kick needed. The taste of the black crown is more powerful than the lime. Which is good in its own since. Also this somehow will get you tipsy without trying

2.49/5  rDev -12%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Pours a quickly dissipated 2 finger head that leaves little in the way of lacing. Color was deep golden-copper...I don't see the red. Lots of action going on in the glass as well.

Smell: Picking up a little malt...I think. Some stale hops too. Wait...There's the hops and some other metallic smell too.

Taste: Light caramel malt with noticeable alcohol in the back. Bitterness is at least balanced but not enough character to support alcohol content.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and smooth. Goes down fast and would suffice as a lawnmower. Carbonation is a tad high and decreases the smoothness a touch.

Overall: Not the worst beer I've ever had and certainly not the worst from the brewer. This is one of the better efforts from AB.

3.28/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A- A standard looking brew overall....golden amber in color and very clear. There appears to be plenty of carbonation rising to the top as well. There isn't much of a head, but at least its a patchy, super white effort. Lacing is pretty modest as well....small clumps of foam slowly slide back into the brew....nothing special, nothing offensive!

S- Much more authentic smelling than standard Bud.....I actually smell malt! It is slightly toasty and sweet like melted brown sugar. There is a hop presence as well...cant pinpoint the type but im certain it is more from an extract or dried hop leaf....it's not fresh enough but the effort is there!

T- Not bad...not bad at all! While this isn't as flavorful or as good as others I've had in this style, there is a distinct malt sweetness that is slightly caramel like and yeasty at the same time. The finish isn't as bitter as I was hoping for but there is a weak hop note that is noticeable enough.

M/O- A decent enough beer that doesn't change a whole lot from the start through to the finish. It is a beer that I would be able to enjoy during a session, as it's thin to medium bodied, very smooth....the carbonation is quite fine, and it had a very standard, yet flavorful enough taste. I would buy this again and think it's a good effort, and think it is getting a bad reputation overall just because it is a Budweiser product.

2.26/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.25

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: The body is a perfectly clear copper color with a quickly receding white head. No lacing is left on the glass.

Aroma: Toasted grains and faint caramel cover up a slightly sour body.

Taste: Not a whole lot to this other than some caramel and malts. There is a metallic flavor roaming about as well.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, dry.

Overall: I liked this less and less as I continued to drink it. It had hints of being an amber lager.

2.12/5  rDev -25.1%

Pours a yellowish amber, white frothy head with quick dissipation, nose grainy, taste bland with hints of sweet corn nastiness. Not as repulsive as Bud Lite, but honestly I'll take the blandness of Bud over this one's attempts at character.

2.75/5  rDev -2.8%

Serving Type: Bottle at fridge temp, "born on" 9/8/14.

Look: deep amber, light brown and entirely clear. Moderate pour produces fizzy head that settles down to absolutely nothing, but this isn't really a fault given the style.

aroma: Faint caramel and roasted malts

Taste: almost non-existent, but the alcohol makes it self known at the back of the tongue. Some faint grain and alcohol lingering in the aftertaste.

Feel: low-medium thickness, with a mostly wet finish. Bubbly carbonation.

Overall: This is a noticeable step above standard bud and other AAL's in flavor with a nice boost in abv to go with it. I wouldn't turn down this beer if someone offered it to me, but would not buy it myself. The worst fault is the lack of flavor to mask the somewhat high abv making it a little unpleasant to drink, but other than that it's pretty smooth which is what they are going for.

2.82/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Picked up a 25 ounce can for my collection and poured it into a standard shaker pint glass.

Pours out a amber color with a foamy head that quickly subsides to a thin lace. The smell is very neutral with no evidence of adjuncts. The taste is very light with some malt and just a touch of hop bitterness (a very small touch). The mouth feel is a bit thin as expected and the carbonation level is good.

Overall this is a beer I wouldn't turn down. It looks very good in the glass and was very refreshing after a round of golf. If the price is right I'll get it again for these circumstances.

3.1/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a soft aroma of malt and hops, faint but there
Appearance- A dark copper colored brew with a medium sized white head.
Taste- An okay BMC product, does not compare on the flavor chart to a craft. not horrible
Palate- Has a nice crisp feel, light bodied brew with heavy carbonation.
Overall- An ok beer if the place you are at has a limited selection. There are many worse beers out there.

3.05/5  rDev +7.8%

A - Light anger in color, clear with a 2 finger frothy head. Head is not thin but not thick either, kind of a mid level thickness. Head dissipates quickly. Thin lacing is left. 3.25/5

S - Malty, caramel, and grassy. Smells crisp and clean. 3/5

T - Sweet, malty, caramel, green apple, and grassy. Not a ton of flavor but more flavor than most of Bud's offerings. 3/5

M - Very crisp and dry. Moderately carbonated. Very little lingering bitterness. 3/5

O - A step above Bud's general offerings but not amazingly flavorful either. An easy drinking session beer that is apparently inspired by amber lagers. Not nearly as flavorful as most ambers or reds that I have had though. 3/5

1.9/5  rDev -32.9%

Dateline: August 5th, 2014. Locale: Norcross, GA. Available beer: Almost None. Available Store: Racetrac. Personal Status: Bloody Exhausted. Beer Found: 25 oz. pounder can of Bud Black Crown. And I'm gonna drink it, because I'm fucking punchy.

Look: Nice sinister black can yields stuff that's more yellow than amber. Massive amounts of carbonation. Vessel: Wingate paper cup. Ribbed, even. Nose: I'd have to snort this off a mirror or someone's ass to get a scent. Grain? Not offensive, or mediocre. Just not there.

Beer Target Verdict: Black Crown isn't good. I have nothing against Bud: if they started bottling Hunahpu's in pounder cans, I'd fill up their coffers with my frayed dolla bills. But I know Huna & Black Crown, you're no Huna. Taste: not good. Not one-sip-and-hurl-the-can-outta-the-window bad, but the kind of not good that requires toothpaste soon. Grainy, with that aftertaste that I believe Bud has patented (you know, tired, spent grain & old, faint hops), mild sweetness, cream corn. Unfortunately, nothing out of the ordinary for the brewer & as much as I thought I was going to power through this experience, it ain't gonna happen.

In Sum: Four ounces in, count me out. Not undrinkable, but I'd have to be parched or dying of thirst to have this one again. Funny, I had a Miller High Life not long ago (which inspired me to pick this up) & it wasn't so bad. End Game: Sink.

2.68/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Dull soft malt. Watery. A little more bold than standard Am. lagers.
One inch white cap covers a dark gold to amber clear body with some action.
A grainy malt character with a notable drying finish. Some hop flavors that blend adequately initially, but eventually become not very enjoyable. Spritzy and abundant carbonation which is big enough to prevent any apparent smoothness and provides a filling quality.
I like Fortune better than this. This may have a touch of age on it with an Apr 14 date on bottom of can (best by or canning date?). Either way I don't find the flavors all that pleasing putting it towards the bottom of lawn mower beers for me.

2.5/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

poured slightly orange and clear with amber notes, head was ok but quickly fizzed out leaving no lace and no head.

aroma and taste were typically budweiser-ish and not really what you'd expect from anything labeled amber ale. it's like they were trying to made a bud but sell it to people who wanted an amber ale. my advice is that if you want an amber ale, this probably isn't the beer for you. if you want a bud, this bud's for you, but it's quite a stretch calling it an amber.

overall I'm not impressed. although I got this bottle free, I wonder if they had a craft beer price tag on this one. but the thing is, pretending it's craft doesn't turn a bud into a craft beer. not that I am taking anything away from bud: it's not easy to make a nearly colorless, flavorless, crystal clear beer. but that's not going to take anything away from the craft beer market either. craft drinkers will see right through and go back to what they really want when they seek out an amber ale: flavor, aroma, head, lacing, etc, which this really doesn't have.

2.75/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Tastes sort of like a older, slightly stronger Budweiser. It was darker in color and had a slightly higher ABV. I don't get how it is classified as an amber or red lager though. It just seems like a more concentrated AAL.

Would not purchase or drink again.

1.83/5  rDev -35.3%

Appearance – This is crystal clear with a monster head that fell quickly, not exactly what I was expecting.

Smell – This smells just like their Adjunct Lager. I really don’t get any characteristics of the style. It’s old, stale, cheap American grain.

Taste – Again this has no malt and I can’t for the life of me find one thing about this beer that would justify calling it an Amber Ale.

Mouthfeel – It’s kind of smooth which isn’t bad but it is way too light for the style and the cheap carbonation is wanting.

Sinkability – I couldn’t even finish this sad effort.

Budweiser Black Crown from Anheuser-Busch