Budweiser Black Crown - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Damian74Shensky on 01-01-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Black Crown Alström Bros
Reviews: 198 | Hads: 1,066
1.9/5  rDev -32.9%

Dateline: August 5th, 2014. Locale: Norcross, GA. Available beer: Almost None. Available Store: Racetrac. Personal Status: Bloody Exhausted. Beer Found: 25 oz. pounder can of Bud Black Crown. And I'm gonna drink it, because I'm fucking punchy.

Look: Nice sinister black can yields stuff that's more yellow than amber. Massive amounts of carbonation. Vessel: Wingate paper cup. Ribbed, even. Nose: I'd have to snort this off a mirror or someone's ass to get a scent. Grain? Not offensive, or mediocre. Just not there.

Beer Target Verdict: Black Crown isn't good. I have nothing against Bud: if they started bottling Hunahpu's in pounder cans, I'd fill up their coffers with my frayed dolla bills. But I know Huna & Black Crown, you're no Huna. Taste: not good. Not one-sip-and-hurl-the-can-outta-the-window bad, but the kind of not good that requires toothpaste soon. Grainy, with that aftertaste that I believe Bud has patented (you know, tired, spent grain & old, faint hops), mild sweetness, cream corn. Unfortunately, nothing out of the ordinary for the brewer & as much as I thought I was going to power through this experience, it ain't gonna happen.

In Sum: Four ounces in, count me out. Not undrinkable, but I'd have to be parched or dying of thirst to have this one again. Funny, I had a Miller High Life not long ago (which inspired me to pick this up) & it wasn't so bad. End Game: Sink.

2.68/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Dull soft malt. Watery. A little more bold than standard Am. lagers.
One inch white cap covers a dark gold to amber clear body with some action.
A grainy malt character with a notable drying finish. Some hop flavors that blend adequately initially, but eventually become not very enjoyable. Spritzy and abundant carbonation which is big enough to prevent any apparent smoothness and provides a filling quality.
I like Fortune better than this. This may have a touch of age on it with an Apr 14 date on bottom of can (best by or canning date?). Either way I don't find the flavors all that pleasing putting it towards the bottom of lawn mower beers for me.

2.5/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

poured slightly orange and clear with amber notes, head was ok but quickly fizzed out leaving no lace and no head.

aroma and taste were typically budweiser-ish and not really what you'd expect from anything labeled amber ale. it's like they were trying to made a bud but sell it to people who wanted an amber ale. my advice is that if you want an amber ale, this probably isn't the beer for you. if you want a bud, this bud's for you, but it's quite a stretch calling it an amber.

overall I'm not impressed. although I got this bottle free, I wonder if they had a craft beer price tag on this one. but the thing is, pretending it's craft doesn't turn a bud into a craft beer. not that I am taking anything away from bud: it's not easy to make a nearly colorless, flavorless, crystal clear beer. but that's not going to take anything away from the craft beer market either. craft drinkers will see right through and go back to what they really want when they seek out an amber ale: flavor, aroma, head, lacing, etc, which this really doesn't have.

2.5/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Tastes sort of like a older, slightly stronger Budweiser. It was darker in color and had a slightly higher ABV. I don't get how it is classified as an amber or red lager though. It just seems like a more concentrated AAL.

Will not revisit.

1.83/5  rDev -35.3%

Appearance – This is crystal clear with a monster head that fell quickly, not exactly what I was expecting.

Smell – This smells just like their Adjunct Lager. I really don’t get any characteristics of the style. It’s old, stale, cheap American grain.

Taste – Again this has no malt and I can’t for the life of me find one thing about this beer that would justify calling it an Amber Ale.

Mouthfeel – It’s kind of smooth which isn’t bad but it is way too light for the style and the cheap carbonation is wanting.

Sinkability – I couldn’t even finish this sad effort.

3.03/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Purchased from one of the local quick marts.

A: Clear orange amber with decent head and retention.

S: Malt forward with some sweetness. A bit of hops. Reasonably balanced.

T: Same as the smell but more prominent sweetness. A little bit of grain. Tastes kind of cheap. Not awful though.

M: Smooth with more richness than expected. Decent carbonation.

O: While not a bad beer it's not a really good one either. Definitely a step up from regular Bud though.

3.33/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I think of a malt liquor disguised in a sleek, 12oz bottle. Surprisingly enjoyable. Never thought I'd dig an anheuser Busch brew. Not a fan of the regular Budweiser or bud light but somehow the brewmasters at anheuser Busch created something I could enjoy. I especially like the fact that this particular brew is 6 percent alc by content. It packs a descent buzz for a budweiser

2.58/5  rDev -8.8%

From sixteen ounce can , indecipherable " born on" date.

Aroma of grassy grains. Pours clear amber orange with large white head. Head retention is poor, flattening out to an oily film in about 45 seconds. No lacing.
Taste, nasty! DRAIN POUR!! I.E. sour sweet and astringent at the same time. I could only force myself to one more mouthful in order to review!
Like the slogan said, " When you say Budweiser, you've said it all!"
Now I know why it was on sale for $1 a can!

3.27/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

From the 12 fl. oz bottle with an old date of 21 May 2013. Sampling it on April 19, 2014, which is nearly a year later.

The color of it is quite pleasant with its medium amber copper tone and small white head that fades off quickly.

The aroma is more malty than anything else. It has an odd caramel note to it and halfway decent sweetness. It was not what I expected.

The body is about medium and rather smooth.

The taste also has a nice caramel sweetness to it and that Budweiser Beech-wood roastiness. Better than regular Budweiser by far.

1.81/5  rDev -36%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Saw this at my local C-store and decided I would give it a try. After all, it's black crown, so it must taste regal....right? Wrong. If I had to describe this beer it would be 3 parts bud, 2 parts Michelob Amber Bock. Tastes pretty bad and leaves a "twang" taste on your tongue after your done. Michelob Amber Bock isn't the greatest, but it deserves a crown a lot more than this crappy beer does. I'll stick with Sam Adams Boston Ale or even Miller Genuine Draft is better than the "Black Crown."

2.88/5  rDev +1.8%

I think the hardest thing with this beer was the expectations. It's called Black Crown, but has a subtitle of "golden amber lager". What does golden amber mean, and why give it the black crown? It turns out the Budweiser on the can told me everything I needed to know. Looks and tastes like any other Bud product, a little sweeter than most. Not a bad beer if you're just drinking while hanging out, but the ABV is a little high for that. What this beer does very well is hide the somewhat high alcohol content, which could be trouble...if you're drinking it while hanging out. It goes down easy but it's not a beer you'll remember, and it could lead to a night you won't remember.

2.28/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Can: Poured a light brown color lager with a medium head with limited retention and very subtle lacing. Aroma consists of light cereal with grainy caramel malt. Taste is also dominated by grainy cereal notes with light caramel adjunct notes. Body is thin with OK carbonation. Worst than I was expecting.

3.21/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A good finger of head on a clear, amber colored body. The aroma is a little grain with some fruit, the beechwood is evident too. Smells nice. The taste is balanced and smooth. It has only the mildest bitterness to go with it’s malty body (for a lager). The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation. It’s a smooth and tasty lager.

3.88/5  rDev +37.1%

Budweiser Black Crown brewed by Anheuser-Busch.The brew pours out a nice amber color with a small white head. This brew has an ABV of 6.0 but it goes down real smooth . The smell is the same as american style beer. The taste is heavy with a lot of flavor. This brew is really filling. Nothing Bad about this brew. Over all I give this beer a 4 out of 5.

4.58/5  rDev +61.8%

I love this beer. Take the Fortune 100 Budweiser name off of the front and they'd be drinking it in Harvard Square.

The color of the beer is awesome - very nice caramel'esque appearance. I enjoyed the nose - pleasant and certainly anything but overpowering. The taste was great. This beer isn't trying to do too much - it's solid, smooth, and well rounded. Very impressed with this effort, notwithstanding it's brethren.

3.32/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-clear gold color with a small white head that does not hold
S-sweet grain smell
T-sweet taste that has some hop bitterness that stays with you til the end
M-light body and medium carbonation
O-This has more taste that most beers from the big brewers enjoyed it

1.56/5  rDev -44.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Had this at the Regina Festiv-Ale on Jan 31st. 4 oz sampler.

Amber colour with off-white head.

Aroma is cloying. Super sweet. Cooked corn and corn syrup.

Cloyingly sweet and full of adjuncty flavours. Grainy, cooked veggies, corn syrup.

I'm glad I just had a sampler and didn't buy a 6 pack.

3.09/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Pours a very clear, very light copper or amber in color with a decent white head of average retention.
Aroma: I pick up some alcohol along with some graininess and sweet caramel.
Taste: Sweet up front, kind of caramel taffy. Light bodied and a dry finish.
It was all right, didn't care for the alcohol in the aroma.

2.88/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Disappointing. Immediately concluded the beverage was just another attempt by a giant producer to raise the APV and gain or maintain market share that way. Budweiser, a true American icon needs to lead the way, not follow the crowd. Unlike "plain old Bud" which has many distinctive characteristics, Black Crown has none other than its "me too" persona. Really disappointed. I expected much more.

3.39/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'll be upfront on this, for a Budweiser product, I feel this is quite good. It is not an exceptional brew by any means, but it does taste a lot better than anything else they produce that I have had.

The appearance gets a 3, as it is really nothing great, nor poor.
The smell is pretty similar to any likewise lagers, but I'd say a bit better than your regular Budweiser.
Taste is what I enjoy most for this product (Asides from it's 6% ABV and Price tag), I feel it is not at all bad for a Macro American Amber Lager.
Mouthfeel is basic, nothing special, but nice enough.

I feel this product deserves a solid 3.50. It is of course not an award winning or wonderful beer, but for the price, and being a Budweiser product, It isn't half bad.

If you want a cheap, decent ABV Amber Lager, and aren't looking for anything fancy, you might just enjoy it.

2.77/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

I'm writing this from memory because I will never buy it again, yet it was something that seemed to stand out in the BMC crowd. The local gas station had yet to start selling new belgium and other micro's so I gave it a go.

Poured a bland amber, just slightly darker than the yellow bud is. No head really.

Smell was just like budweiser. Nothing really other than just bland corn and rice, with a hint of malt.

Taste was ok with a mild darker malt flavor that kinda made it seem ok.

Feel was nice.

Overall better than most BMC.

3.39/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

It seems as though The CANQuest (TM) has imbued me with a modicum of prescience! It took about ten months, but I stumbled across a couple of CANs while browsing at Connecticut Avenue Wine & Liquor Deli in DC before going into KramerBooks & AfterWords. I knew that someone at ABInBev would hear my impassioned plea to put this beer in a CAN.

From the CAN: "Distinctively Smooth, Beechwood Finished"; "Golden Amber Lager".

The black tab of the CAN had a crown die-cut out of it, making the Crack! all that much more memorable! It was a 16 fl. oz./pint CAN, so I employed a shaker glass as the vessel into which it was Glugged as this tends to avoid overflow when the CAN is inverted. Once more, I must marvel at the engineering that goes into an ABInBev beer. I began with a finger of puffy, French Vanilla-colored head that fell rather quickly. It was the color and clarity that really captured my attention, however. Bright? Hell, it achieved filament brightness, enabling me to see the filament in the bulb to which I was holding up the beer! The color was a deep gold (SRM = > 7, < 9) and I have never seen the Unholy Trio of Midas, Mammon and Croesus appear so quickly. I took pity on them for once and allowed each one a sip since they were obviously enamored of it. Nose was sweeter than many of ABInBev's other beers: rich, with a caramel/coconut aspect. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was more towards caramel, but I was still getting some coconut. Hmm. It was not bad, per se, but just a bit too sweet for my sensibilities. Decent lacing began to form as I drank through it. It was not hard to drink, in fact, it was quite quaffable to the point that I was powering through it, causing MCM to look downcast, so I let them have some more. I kid you not, this was an absolutely gorgeous beer, which may be the best thing that I CAN say about it. The finish was pretty sweet, enough to leave me ready to drink another beer, preferably something hop-forward.

My initial bottle review, dtd 03-06-2013 follows:

Another from my "neighbor's" cooler. As usual, I am game to try anything once.

From the bottle: "Distinctively smooth, beechwood aged"; "Golden Amber Lager"; "We challenged our 12 Budweiser Brewmasters to create a new masterpiece. Six unique beers were crafted and sampled across America. One was chosen. This amber lager's toasted caramel malt notes and smooth finish earned it the black crown."

I will say this about ABInBev beers - they never lack for carbonation and effervescence. I started out with a finger-and-a-half of foamy french vanilla-colored head and it slowly fizzled down to less than a pinky's worth. Color and clarity were both fabulous with a deep-amber like you might see prehistoric bugs encased in and the opportunity to see all that there was to see, which in this case was the other side of the glass, the other side of the room, et al. I saw where previous reviewers mentioned its smell and it was nice, to be sure. It had a lightly toasted smell, sweet, but not necessarily caramel. More toward coconut. Mouthfeel was soft, especially after all of the initial carbonation. The taste was toasty, bready, not really even all that sweet. Finish was semi-dry and refreshing. It really was not a bad effort, although not a "masterpiece". If they put it in a CAN, I would be willing to try it again, but otherwise, it is one among many of its style.

2.38/5  rDev -15.9%

Appearance was surprisingly disappointing because normally you would expect and receive a good head on any beer from a large brewery like this. Not much here, and it fades fast. Nose is also a bit muted with some light grain aromas. Palate has a very light malty taste, whiff of alcohol heat, and not much else going on. Not as extremely light bodied as I was expecting and yet it is fairly drinkable. Just doesn't come across at all as any sort of flavor-focused beer.

4.88/5  rDev +72.4%

I'm a longtime Bud fan and recently tried this variation. First bottle, I thought "it's OK", but by the second bottle I decided that I really like it. Not too far off in taste from original Bud. I don't think it will replace my favorite (regular Budweiser), but I much prefer Black Crown over most micro brews. Good stuff!

4.48/5  rDev +58.3%

My rating is what I give Budweiser Black Crown and is based on the comparison between Black Crown and all of the other Budweiser Beer. This is the best Budweiser yet. I am surprised it has such low ratings. I have been drinking bud off and on for 15 years, and most of the time it tastes like piss water; but of course, after the first few regular buds, it does get better.. That aside :), this is a great beer. I was at the store and was considering other beers (micro brews) but saw Black Crown - hadn't seen it before. Got the 12 pack home, hoping it tasted a tad bit better than piss water... and it did. It tasted a lot better. Budweiser will never be known for being elegant, or taste like most micro brews, but this is the beer to get if you need something that tastes good on the first sip while keeping more money in your wallet/paypal acct /bitcoin acct/etc. :D The aftertaste, after consuming a taco and sipping on the beer isn't the greatest, but drinking this beer while eating is wonderful. I wrote this 3 beers in.

Budweiser Black Crown from Anheuser-Busch