Follow our progress ...

Style: American Amber / Red Lager

Added by Damian74Shensky on 01-01-2013

Reviews: 204 | Ratings: 1,088
2.12/5  rDev -25.1%

Pours a yellowish amber, white frothy head with quick dissipation, nose grainy, taste bland with hints of sweet corn nastiness. Not as repulsive as Bud Lite, but honestly I'll take the blandness of Bud over this one's attempts at character.

2.75/5  rDev -2.8%

Serving Type: Bottle at fridge temp, "born on" 9/8/14.

Look: deep amber, light brown and entirely clear. Moderate pour produces fizzy head that settles down to absolutely nothing, but this isn't really a fault given the style.

aroma: Faint caramel and roasted malts

Taste: almost non-existent, but the alcohol makes it self known at the back of the tongue. Some faint grain and alcohol lingering in the aftertaste.

Feel: low-medium thickness, with a mostly wet finish. Bubbly carbonation.

Overall: This is a noticeable step above standard bud and other AAL's in flavor with a nice boost in abv to go with it. I wouldn't turn down this beer if someone offered it to me, but would not buy it myself. The worst fault is the lack of flavor to mask the somewhat high abv making it a little unpleasant to drink, but other than that it's pretty smooth which is what they are going for.

2.82/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Picked up a 25 ounce can for my collection and poured it into a standard shaker pint glass.

Pours out a amber color with a foamy head that quickly subsides to a thin lace. The smell is very neutral with no evidence of adjuncts. The taste is very light with some malt and just a touch of hop bitterness (a very small touch). The mouth feel is a bit thin as expected and the carbonation level is good.

Overall this is a beer I wouldn't turn down. It looks very good in the glass and was very refreshing after a round of golf. If the price is right I'll get it again for these circumstances.

3.1/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a soft aroma of malt and hops, faint but there
Appearance- A dark copper colored brew with a medium sized white head.
Taste- An okay BMC product, does not compare on the flavor chart to a craft. not horrible
Palate- Has a nice crisp feel, light bodied brew with heavy carbonation.
Overall- An ok beer if the place you are at has a limited selection. There are many worse beers out there.

3.05/5  rDev +7.8%

A - Light anger in color, clear with a 2 finger frothy head. Head is not thin but not thick either, kind of a mid level thickness. Head dissipates quickly. Thin lacing is left. 3.25/5

S - Malty, caramel, and grassy. Smells crisp and clean. 3/5

T - Sweet, malty, caramel, green apple, and grassy. Not a ton of flavor but more flavor than most of Bud's offerings. 3/5

M - Very crisp and dry. Moderately carbonated. Very little lingering bitterness. 3/5

O - A step above Bud's general offerings but not amazingly flavorful either. An easy drinking session beer that is apparently inspired by amber lagers. Not nearly as flavorful as most ambers or reds that I have had though. 3/5

1.9/5  rDev -32.9%

Dateline: August 5th, 2014. Locale: Norcross, GA. Available beer: Almost None. Available Store: Racetrac. Personal Status: Bloody Exhausted. Beer Found: 25 oz. pounder can of Bud Black Crown. And I'm gonna drink it, because I'm fucking punchy.

Look: Nice sinister black can yields stuff that's more yellow than amber. Massive amounts of carbonation. Vessel: Wingate paper cup. Ribbed, even. Nose: I'd have to snort this off a mirror or someone's ass to get a scent. Grain? Not offensive, or mediocre. Just not there.

Beer Target Verdict: Black Crown isn't good. I have nothing against Bud: if they started bottling Hunahpu's in pounder cans, I'd fill up their coffers with my frayed dolla bills. But I know Huna & Black Crown, you're no Huna. Taste: not good. Not one-sip-and-hurl-the-can-outta-the-window bad, but the kind of not good that requires toothpaste soon. Grainy, with that aftertaste that I believe Bud has patented (you know, tired, spent grain & old, faint hops), mild sweetness, cream corn. Unfortunately, nothing out of the ordinary for the brewer & as much as I thought I was going to power through this experience, it ain't gonna happen.

In Sum: Four ounces in, count me out. Not undrinkable, but I'd have to be parched or dying of thirst to have this one again. Funny, I had a Miller High Life not long ago (which inspired me to pick this up) & it wasn't so bad. End Game: Sink.

2.68/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Dull soft malt. Watery. A little more bold than standard Am. lagers.
One inch white cap covers a dark gold to amber clear body with some action.
A grainy malt character with a notable drying finish. Some hop flavors that blend adequately initially, but eventually become not very enjoyable. Spritzy and abundant carbonation which is big enough to prevent any apparent smoothness and provides a filling quality.
I like Fortune better than this. This may have a touch of age on it with an Apr 14 date on bottom of can (best by or canning date?). Either way I don't find the flavors all that pleasing putting it towards the bottom of lawn mower beers for me.

2.5/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

poured slightly orange and clear with amber notes, head was ok but quickly fizzed out leaving no lace and no head.

aroma and taste were typically budweiser-ish and not really what you'd expect from anything labeled amber ale. it's like they were trying to made a bud but sell it to people who wanted an amber ale. my advice is that if you want an amber ale, this probably isn't the beer for you. if you want a bud, this bud's for you, but it's quite a stretch calling it an amber.

overall I'm not impressed. although I got this bottle free, I wonder if they had a craft beer price tag on this one. but the thing is, pretending it's craft doesn't turn a bud into a craft beer. not that I am taking anything away from bud: it's not easy to make a nearly colorless, flavorless, crystal clear beer. but that's not going to take anything away from the craft beer market either. craft drinkers will see right through and go back to what they really want when they seek out an amber ale: flavor, aroma, head, lacing, etc, which this really doesn't have.

2.5/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Tastes sort of like a older, slightly stronger Budweiser. It was darker in color and had a slightly higher ABV. I don't get how it is classified as an amber or red lager though. It just seems like a more concentrated AAL.

Would Drink Again: No
Would Purchase Again: No

1.83/5  rDev -35.3%

Appearance – This is crystal clear with a monster head that fell quickly, not exactly what I was expecting.

Smell – This smells just like their Adjunct Lager. I really don’t get any characteristics of the style. It’s old, stale, cheap American grain.

Taste – Again this has no malt and I can’t for the life of me find one thing about this beer that would justify calling it an Amber Ale.

Mouthfeel – It’s kind of smooth which isn’t bad but it is way too light for the style and the cheap carbonation is wanting.

Sinkability – I couldn’t even finish this sad effort.

3.03/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Purchased from one of the local quick marts.

A: Clear orange amber with decent head and retention.

S: Malt forward with some sweetness. A bit of hops. Reasonably balanced.

T: Same as the smell but more prominent sweetness. A little bit of grain. Tastes kind of cheap. Not awful though.

M: Smooth with more richness than expected. Decent carbonation.

O: While not a bad beer it's not a really good one either. Definitely a step up from regular Bud though.

3.33/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I think of a malt liquor disguised in a sleek, 12oz bottle. Surprisingly enjoyable. Never thought I'd dig an anheuser Busch brew. Not a fan of the regular Budweiser or bud light but somehow the brewmasters at anheuser Busch created something I could enjoy. I especially like the fact that this particular brew is 6 percent alc by content. It packs a descent buzz for a budweiser

2.58/5  rDev -8.8%

From sixteen ounce can , indecipherable " born on" date.

Aroma of grassy grains. Pours clear amber orange with large white head. Head retention is poor, flattening out to an oily film in about 45 seconds. No lacing.
Taste, nasty! DRAIN POUR!! I.E. sour sweet and astringent at the same time. I could only force myself to one more mouthful in order to review!
Like the slogan said, " When you say Budweiser, you've said it all!"
Now I know why it was on sale for $1 a can!

3.27/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

From the 12 fl. oz bottle with an old date of 21 May 2013. Sampling it on April 19, 2014, which is nearly a year later.

The color of it is quite pleasant with its medium amber copper tone and small white head that fades off quickly.

The aroma is more malty than anything else. It has an odd caramel note to it and halfway decent sweetness. It was not what I expected.

The body is about medium and rather smooth.

The taste also has a nice caramel sweetness to it and that Budweiser Beech-wood roastiness. Better than regular Budweiser by far.

1.81/5  rDev -36%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Saw this at my local C-store and decided I would give it a try. After all, it's black crown, so it must taste regal....right? Wrong. If I had to describe this beer it would be 3 parts bud, 2 parts Michelob Amber Bock. Tastes pretty bad and leaves a "twang" taste on your tongue after your done. Michelob Amber Bock isn't the greatest, but it deserves a crown a lot more than this crappy beer does. I'll stick with Sam Adams Boston Ale or even Miller Genuine Draft is better than the "Black Crown."

2.88/5  rDev +1.8%

I think the hardest thing with this beer was the expectations. It's called Black Crown, but has a subtitle of "golden amber lager". What does golden amber mean, and why give it the black crown? It turns out the Budweiser on the can told me everything I needed to know. Looks and tastes like any other Bud product, a little sweeter than most. Not a bad beer if you're just drinking while hanging out, but the ABV is a little high for that. What this beer does very well is hide the somewhat high alcohol content, which could be trouble...if you're drinking it while hanging out. It goes down easy but it's not a beer you'll remember, and it could lead to a night you won't remember.

2.28/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Can: Poured a light brown color lager with a medium head with limited retention and very subtle lacing. Aroma consists of light cereal with grainy caramel malt. Taste is also dominated by grainy cereal notes with light caramel adjunct notes. Body is thin with OK carbonation. Worst than I was expecting.

3.21/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A good finger of head on a clear, amber colored body. The aroma is a little grain with some fruit, the beechwood is evident too. Smells nice. The taste is balanced and smooth. It has only the mildest bitterness to go with it’s malty body (for a lager). The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation. It’s a smooth and tasty lager.

3.88/5  rDev +37.1%

Budweiser Black Crown brewed by Anheuser-Busch.The brew pours out a nice amber color with a small white head. This brew has an ABV of 6.0 but it goes down real smooth . The smell is the same as american style beer. The taste is heavy with a lot of flavor. This brew is really filling. Nothing Bad about this brew. Over all I give this beer a 4 out of 5.

4.58/5  rDev +61.8%

I love this beer. Take the Fortune 100 Budweiser name off of the front and they'd be drinking it in Harvard Square.

The color of the beer is awesome - very nice caramel'esque appearance. I enjoyed the nose - pleasant and certainly anything but overpowering. The taste was great. This beer isn't trying to do too much - it's solid, smooth, and well rounded. Very impressed with this effort, notwithstanding it's brethren.

3.32/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-clear gold color with a small white head that does not hold
S-sweet grain smell
T-sweet taste that has some hop bitterness that stays with you til the end
M-light body and medium carbonation
O-This has more taste that most beers from the big brewers enjoyed it

1.56/5  rDev -44.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Had this at the Regina Festiv-Ale on Jan 31st. 4 oz sampler.

Amber colour with off-white head.

Aroma is cloying. Super sweet. Cooked corn and corn syrup.

Cloyingly sweet and full of adjuncty flavours. Grainy, cooked veggies, corn syrup.

I'm glad I just had a sampler and didn't buy a 6 pack.

3.09/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Pours a very clear, very light copper or amber in color with a decent white head of average retention.
Aroma: I pick up some alcohol along with some graininess and sweet caramel.
Taste: Sweet up front, kind of caramel taffy. Light bodied and a dry finish.
It was all right, didn't care for the alcohol in the aroma.

2.88/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Disappointing. Immediately concluded the beverage was just another attempt by a giant producer to raise the APV and gain or maintain market share that way. Budweiser, a true American icon needs to lead the way, not follow the crowd. Unlike "plain old Bud" which has many distinctive characteristics, Black Crown has none other than its "me too" persona. Really disappointed. I expected much more.

3.39/5  rDev +19.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'll be upfront on this, for a Budweiser product, I feel this is quite good. It is not an exceptional brew by any means, but it does taste a lot better than anything else they produce that I have had.

The appearance gets a 3, as it is really nothing great, nor poor.
The smell is pretty similar to any likewise lagers, but I'd say a bit better than your regular Budweiser.
Taste is what I enjoy most for this product (Asides from it's 6% ABV and Price tag), I feel it is not at all bad for a Macro American Amber Lager.
Mouthfeel is basic, nothing special, but nice enough.

I feel this product deserves a solid 3.50. It is of course not an award winning or wonderful beer, but for the price, and being a Budweiser product, It isn't half bad.

If you want a cheap, decent ABV Amber Lager, and aren't looking for anything fancy, you might just enjoy it.

Budweiser Black Crown from Anheuser-Busch