Budweiser Black Crown - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Damian74Shensky on 01-01-2013)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Black Crown Alström Bros
2.81/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

I'm writing this from memory because I will never buy it again, yet it was something that seemed to stand out in the BMC crowd. The local gas station had yet to start selling new belgium and other micro's so I gave it a go.

Poured a bland amber, just slightly darker than the yellow bud is. No head really.

Smell was just like budweiser. Nothing really other than just bland corn and rice, with a hint of malt.

Taste was ok with a mild darker malt flavor that kinda made it seem ok.

Feel was nice.

Overall better than most BMC.

BastardKing24, Jan 03, 2014
3.36/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

It seems as though The CANQuest (TM) has imbued me with a modicum of prescience! It took about ten months, but I stumbled across a couple of CANs while browsing at Connecticut Avenue Wine & Liquor Deli in DC before going into KramerBooks & AfterWords. I knew that someone at ABInBev would hear my impassioned plea to put this beer in a CAN.

From the CAN: "Distinctively Smooth, Beechwood Finished"; "Golden Amber Lager".

The black tab of the CAN had a crown die-cut out of it, making the Crack! all that much more memorable! It was a 16 fl. oz./pint CAN, so I employed a shaker glass as the vessel into which it was Glugged as this tends to avoid overflow when the CAN is inverted. Once more, I must marvel at the engineering that goes into an ABInBev beer. I began with a finger of puffy, French Vanilla-colored head that fell rather quickly. It was the color and clarity that really captured my attention, however. Bright? Hell, it achieved filament brightness, enabling me to see the filament in the bulb to which I was holding up the beer! The color was a deep gold (SRM = > 7, < 9) and I have never seen the Unholy Trio of Midas, Mammon and Croesus appear so quickly. I took pity on them for once and allowed each one a sip since they were obviously enamored of it. Nose was sweeter than many of ABInBev's other beers: rich, with a caramel/coconut aspect. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was more towards caramel, but I was still getting some coconut. Hmm. It was not bad, per se, but just a bit too sweet for my sensibilities. Decent lacing began to form as I drank through it. It was not hard to drink, in fact, it was quite quaffable to the point that I was powering through it, causing MCM to look downcast, so I let them have some more. I kid you not, this was an absolutely gorgeous beer, which may be the best thing that I CAN say about it. The finish was pretty sweet, enough to leave me ready to drink another beer, preferably something hop-forward.

My initial bottle review, dtd 03-06-2013 follows:

Another from my "neighbor's" cooler. As usual, I am game to try anything once.

From the bottle: "Distinctively smooth, beechwood aged"; "Golden Amber Lager"; "We challenged our 12 Budweiser Brewmasters to create a new masterpiece. Six unique beers were crafted and sampled across America. One was chosen. This amber lager's toasted caramel malt notes and smooth finish earned it the black crown."

I will say this about ABInBev beers - they never lack for carbonation and effervescence. I started out with a finger-and-a-half of foamy french vanilla-colored head and it slowly fizzled down to less than a pinky's worth. Color and clarity were both fabulous with a deep-amber like you might see prehistoric bugs encased in and the opportunity to see all that there was to see, which in this case was the other side of the glass, the other side of the room, et al. I saw where previous reviewers mentioned its smell and it was nice, to be sure. It had a lightly toasted smell, sweet, but not necessarily caramel. More toward coconut. Mouthfeel was soft, especially after all of the initial carbonation. The taste was toasty, bready, not really even all that sweet. Finish was semi-dry and refreshing. It really was not a bad effort, although not a "masterpiece". If they put it in a CAN, I would be willing to try it again, but otherwise, it is one among many of its style.

woodychandler, Jan 03, 2014

Feagins23, Jan 02, 2014
2.35/5  rDev -14.2%

Appearance was surprisingly disappointing because normally you would expect and receive a good head on any beer from a large brewery like this. Not much here, and it fades fast. Nose is also a bit muted with some light grain aromas. Palate has a very light malty taste, whiff of alcohol heat, and not much else going on. Not as extremely light bodied as I was expecting and yet it is fairly drinkable. Just doesn't come across at all as any sort of flavor-focused beer.

yemenmocha, Jan 02, 2014

DbbC, Dec 31, 2013

Dgrabill, Dec 30, 2013
4.78/5  rDev +74.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

I'm a longtime Bud fan and recently tried this variation. First bottle, I thought "it's OK", but by the second bottle I decided that I really like it. Not too far off in taste from original Bud. I don't think it will replace my favorite (regular Budweiser), but I much prefer Black Crown over most micro brews. Good stuff!

WhiteTrash9, Dec 30, 2013

2.25/5  rDev -17.9%

Chandler_R, Dec 27, 2013

Vogey77, Dec 25, 2013
4.55/5  rDev +66.1%

My rating is what I give Budweiser Black Crown and is based on the comparison between Black Crown and all of the other Budweiser Beer. This is the best Budweiser yet. I am surprised it has such low ratings. I have been drinking bud off and on for 15 years, and most of the time it tastes like piss water; but of course, after the first few regular buds, it does get better.. That aside :), this is a great beer. I was at the store and was considering other beers (micro brews) but saw Black Crown - hadn't seen it before. Got the 12 pack home, hoping it tasted a tad bit better than piss water... and it did. It tasted a lot better. Budweiser will never be known for being elegant, or taste like most micro brews, but this is the beer to get if you need something that tastes good on the first sip while keeping more money in your wallet/paypal acct /bitcoin acct/etc. :D The aftertaste, after consuming a taco and sipping on the beer isn't the greatest, but drinking this beer while eating is wonderful. I wrote this 3 beers in.

VinceJones, Dec 25, 2013

DerwinWentworth, Dec 25, 2013

dcall384, Dec 23, 2013

BeerDreadz, Dec 22, 2013
3.29/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Served in a Becker pint.

Body is a copper - amber hue. Clear and slightly carb'd. The off-white, ahem, crown builds to two-finger's. Lace curtains left as the billowy stuff droops.

Wheaty bouquet, some mashed apple, pear, general light sweetness mainly.

The flavors are very close to the nose. The sweeter wheat malt base is the most forward. A little hoppy earthiness in the finish. Muddled flavors of apple and wheat beyond that.

Feel is actually decent. It drinks smooth, light bubble tingling noted. More light than medium body thanks to this.

Color me surprised! This stuff is drinkable. And it even has moments of being enjoyable! Give it a go if you are curious or need that tick fix.

Pintofbrown, Dec 19, 2013

baylz, Dec 19, 2013

SonictheBeerhog, Dec 19, 2013

Matt_C, Dec 17, 2013

michaelfcasey, Dec 16, 2013

Peter1977, Dec 15, 2013
2.2/5  rDev -19.7%

This was a very disappointing beer from Anheuser-Busch, not much taste or smell and the color reminded me of weak tea, know need to go into an in depth analysis. Would much rather drink bud, busch or even select over this beer. I think I will stick with the micro brews made in the area.

scarfacecrowe, Dec 13, 2013