Budweiser Black Crown - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Damian74Shensky on 01-01-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Black Crown Alström Bros
Reviews: 197 | Hads: 1,065
2.22/5  rDev -21.3%

This was a very disappointing beer from Anheuser-Busch, not much taste or smell and the color reminded me of weak tea, know need to go into an in depth analysis. Would much rather drink bud, busch or even select over this beer. I think I will stick with the micro brews made in the area.

2.86/5  rDev +1.4%

12oz bottle poured into a Pint.

A-Deep copped color. Very clear and refined.Leaves a shred of white lacing down the glass.
S-Not a very prominant scent. Grainy at most.
T- Considering it comes from 1 of the big 3 Im impressed at what the attempt is. Full bodied grainy taste with a very subtle hop bite at the exhale. This beer is NOT a craft drinkers beer, but good enough for those pushing the limits of their Natty light college careers.
M-Carbonated, malty, slight citrus, beachwood smokey and bitter for a Bud.

O- overall not a bad beer for people who are beginng to explore the world of beer. A foot in the door. I could drink a couple on a sunday.

1.63/5  rDev -42.2%

I tried this a couple months back when my bar's AB rep gave us a sample 12 pack. This beer is being aggressively marketed right now here in Ontario... on television, in magazines, bars and LCs. I haven't noticed it picking up much steam, though, and there's a pretty good reason. It's a pretty bad beer.

Yeah, we get it AB! You're trying to ride the coat-tails of craft brew's success. That's all well and good, but you'll have to come up with something a bit (read "a LOT") better than this. Now, I'm going to review this from memory, as I have NO interest in trying one again, so bear with me.

Poured into a glass, fizzy, dissipating head with huge soda-pop bubbles. No memory of lace, most likely minimal to none. And the smell? Sweet corn.. like a regular bud, but far sweeter.

And MY OH MY THE TASTE!!! I remember all I could think was 'Jesus H.C.... Am I drinking Busch Ice?!'. Now, having just gotten back fro a music festival and camping weekend, there was a lot of cheap, strong brew being slugged. Namely Busch Ice. Bud Crown tasted uncannily like it. It was remarkable, really. With maybe a hint more sweetness from whatever brewer's malt the concoct the stuff with. It's really not that far of a stretch of the imagination to think they're the same base brew.. both AB products, both 6%. Both, uh, pretty gross. But at least Busch Ice is cheap as hell.

Anyways that's my two or three cents, take it or leave, hate it or like, run it or walk it, fry it or bake it, out of the can or out of a glass. Whatever. Just whatever your flavour is, be it craft of macro, stay clean away from Bud Crown. Gross.

Life alas is very dear, up with the glass, down with the beer!

2.95/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I got a finger of off-white head over a light amber body. Head dissipates in a minute or so, no lacing detected.

Smells grainy, sweet, almost has a chemical smell to it.

Sweet and grainy. A little hint of caramel is tucked in there. Tastes better than expected.

Mouthfeel is light bodied. Quite refreshing.

1.97/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

oh god, was I really thinking this had a chance at being better??
actually, it IS almost drinkable.... pour pi$$ urine yellow (?more yellow than the kirin I just had) . . . . smell is non-existent.... taste is . . . . geez, whatever.... I so wanted to be a part of that commercial where everybody is drinking the black crown and saluting the guy at the head of the table.... oh well, never mind.... barf. but I think I just MAY be able to finish this one if I hold my nose and guzzle . . . . .

2.79/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

On tap at Blue Cactus Ottawa for $7

Appearance - Clear amber/copper colour with an average size off-white coloured head. There is an average amount of carbonation showing and there is some faint lacing. The head lasted for around 3-4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, corn, caramel

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, caramel, and very light hops. There is also some corn and a graininess.

Overall - Hey, it's a step in the right direction for BMC drinkers I guess. Really boring taste wise and not something I'd have any reason to order again.

3.29/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a slightly transparent amber color with a white head that dissipates quickly. Small amount of lacing. Smell a faint smoky aroma. Has a light body feel in the mouth with the taste of grain and some sweetness. Almost no bitterness of hops. After taste of smokey gran is very good. Goes down smooth. Over all a good beer and wish I had another.

1.53/5  rDev -45.7%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

While I had seen the slick advertising for this beer, I dismissed it until I could taste one and form my own opinion. Taking it home from the store, I poured one into a tall glass and noted the definite amber look to it, much like an Oktoberfest style of beer. That was the high point.

With no discerning aroma, the first taste of the beer yielded a soapy and bland mouthfeel with a hint of caramel. Two more tastes of the beer were the same until I disposed of the remaining portion in the kitchen sink.

No hops, a medium-light body, and only a vague caramel taste to support it, I wondered if A-B was trying to recapture the lost 1970's glory of Michelob Lager with this beer.

3.06/5  rDev +8.5%

A clear gold, it might lean darker but it's not amber, much less red. It does, however, have a reasonably-sized yellowish cap of head with decent retention that lays down some spotting.
It's a bit grassy with a little bit of a creamy, maybe toffee, sort of sweetness to balance under a grainy backbone. There's a hint of spiciness in the nose not found in the flavor. Some biscuit shows up underneath with a slight dryness despite the sweeter aspects.
There's an almost cloying aspect to this beer which is fortunately kept at bay by a dryness that's while subdued, does counter it. The body is light, a bit too light, but crispness doesn't disappoint.

2.74/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: Pours a crystal clear light to medium amber in color with some light to moderate amounts of active visible carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass and some faint golden orange highlights. The beer has a finger tall sudsy foamy off-white head that quickly reduces to a small patch of extremely thin film and a very thin ring at the edges of the glass. Light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Light to moderate aromas of toasted cereal grain malts with a hint of caramel malts.

T: Upfront there is a light to moderate flavor of cereal grain and toasted malts with some very light hints of caramel. Very light notes of earthy hops that impart a hint of bitterness which fades pretty quickly.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation. Crisp but slightly thin/watery.

O: This does not really taste like a Amber/Red Lager but rather like a light or watered down version. It really needs a little more body, some richer malt flavors, and hops that can be found in both the aroma + taste.

4.02/5  rDev +42.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Budweiser Crown as it is known here in Canada is a recent offering from the King o’Beers in the Great White North.

The bottle is pretty slick looking definitely looks like a quality beer.

The smell two words Dee licious

The taste is on the sweet side with no bitter finish and no aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: the label reads “distinctively smooth” and true to form it most certainly is with low carbonation.

This combination makes this a highly drinkable brew allowing you to get a good buzz going. Pounding back a few pints of these seemed no challenge despite the strong 6% alc./vol rating with no real effects hitting until about beer numero four.

The only main drawback here is the price I can snag a case of the Crown at pretty much the same rate as a two-EIGHT ($38.50CDN). I mean COME ON who’s gonna make the switch from KING to Crown at that price because mathematically you’re only getting an extra Bud Lite in terms of alcohol content for that price but you’re negatory four brewskies.

Felt a little sluggish the next day, chalk it up to a rough sleep but a possible difference from King to Crown. A follow up maybe required.

This is an alternative to the vanilla Bud when you’re looking to crush some beers post work. Definitely a new challenger has emerged.

3.1/5  rDev +9.9%

$1.50 bomber into a Duvel tulip. Thanks to my buddy Drew for talking me into making this ironic purchase.

A: Crystal clear amber body under a finger of frothy white foam that settles quickly into a solid ring and leaves spotty lace. Pretty decent.

S: Simple, straightforward, and fairly non-descript. Caramel, toasted bread, light spice, and some corn. Definitely an adjunct lager, but honestly not a bad-smelling one.

T: Follows the nose. Sweet malts up front, mild corn in the middle, and a clean, dry, mineral-heavy finish from the lager yeast. Faint hops bitterness even. Not bad at all, but certainly not above average for the style.

M: Light-bodied and moderately carbonated. Not too frothy, but lively enough. Quite good.

O: I fully wanted to hate this, but it was really disturbingly ok.

2.33/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

12 oz. bottle born on 13JAN13.

A- Small white head, but lots of visible carbonation. Head quickly dissipates leaving almost no lacing. Transparent amber in color with gold highlights.

S- Nice caramel malts and some toasty grains. Nothing else there. As it warms slightly I get a strange, bad, chemical, or medicinal aroma.

T- Flavor starts just the same as the aroma including the strange chemical flavor. There is a slight hop bitterness, and then the entire flavor drops off disappointingly.

M- Medium bodied, low carbonation to a fault. I'm looking for crispness, and it's not there.

O- This beer is clearly trying and failing. I would rather drink a less ambitious beer that is not trying to be anything but good ol' American macro swill and succeeding at succeeding at it splendidly. This was not an enjoyable Amber Lager. Not an enjoyable beer in general. I got this bottle for free the morning after a barn party, and I don't plan to buy it in the future. In fact, I would be pleased if this beer never crossed my lips again.

2.91/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light amber color with a short off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of light caramelized malts, some fruit and a touch of hops.

T: There starts out bready with flavors of adjuncts and a thin malt character. Then some caramel and fruit sweetness comes in. The hops presence is very mild but provides some balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet and slightly bready.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: A little tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, decent kick, not the best representation of style, it’s just a mediocre beer at best.

3.1/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

341 mL bottle picked up at TBS; served well-chilled. Labelled as 'Budweiser Crown' for the Canadian market; this is a fairly recent addition to the line-up at everyone's favourite government-mandated monopoly store.

Pours a bright amber-orange colour with a clear complexion, generating nearly two fingers of frothy, soapy white head that gradually seeps away over the following few minutes. A smooth, dense cap about 1/4" thick remains on the surface for a good long while, but there's little in the way of lacing. The aroma is mild and fairly neutral - the caramel spoken of on the packaging is noticeable, but beyond that I'm having a hard time coming up with much else to describe. It's a little grainy, with suggestions of corn syrup and apple fruitiness; not much to write home about.

Not the worst-tasting macro amber I've ever had, but nothing about the flavour profile is really capturing my attention. Grainy pale malts come through initially, followed by some light toasted caramel sweetness. There are definitely some adjunct vibes toward the finish, but in general this is quite a bit more refined/cleaner-tasting than regular Bud. It finishes with a touch of honey and grassy hops, leaving a sweet taste behind on the palate. Fairly light in body, with sturdy carbonation levels typical of a macro lager. Not as drinkable as regular Budweiser - it tastes better, sure, but the abv and the lack of any significant attempt to balance out the sweetness of the caramel malt would limit my intake of this one.

Final Grade: 3.1, a C+. Budweiser Crown isn't an especially bad beer, but at the same time, it has no real distinguishing characteristics that would bring me back for more. While superior to standard Bud in every category outside of sessionability, it still has enough flaws - most prominently the lack of any real bittering hop balance to counter the caramel - that I can't really consider this anything much better than average. A serviceable, if unimaginative macro amber that I'd never turn down, but I'm not in a hurry to pick up another six-pack.

2.79/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

I really wanted to not like this brew because as we all know Budweiser is not a quality product, but I tried a few at my fantasy football draft and I was pleasantly surprised. While I will not call this beer a quality beer, I enjoyed them and was able to finish them before they got lukewarm. The beer is very average looking for a lager, all the typical signs of a lager, the aroma is slightly above par for a lager and it pours with just the right amount of head and lace. A bit over carbonated, but not to the point of rejection. Where this beer fails is the strong aftertaste it leaves in your mouth, kind of sour and pungent, but not the worst beer in the world. I would not recommend spending your money on this beer, but if you are at a friends house and they have some, give it a try!

2.88/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

355ml tall slim can, called just Budweiser Crown in Canada, for some reason (it does sound like something Molson or Labatt would produce for far-flung regional offerings, or something). Picked up a single of this at the big behemoth box store in the general deep suburban area - so not exactly the 'hood.

This beer pours a clear, medium golden amber colour, with two fat fingers of puffy, foamy, and tightly bubbly off-white head, which leaves some decent drooping curtained lace around the glass as it evenly dissipates.

It smells of semi-sweet, very mildly toasted caramel malt, a bit of mushy apple and overripe pear fruitiness, and soft, faintly spicy earthy hops - I'm getting the suggestion of coriander or nutmeg here, weirdly. The taste is much more bland, generic caramel malt, with more than a touch of wet cardboard pithiness, a subdued, indistinct, and somewhat acrid day-old fruit salad sweetness, and earthy, somewhat leafy, but also weedy and vegetal, hops.

The bubbles are present in decent enough numbers, and never really taking any chances beyond a timid frothiness, the body on the lee side of medium weight, and mostly smooth, in a plain-Jane, white-bread sort of manner. It finishes off-dry, the neutered caramel malt straggling along, while a small alcohol astringency arises, and the fruit and hops head for the nearest exit, heads down, and tails between their legs.

Amber lagers and ales are already a blighted by ennui style, so of course AB-Inbev would choose this as their next attempt at craft beer 'legitimacy' for the US market (uttered with only an iota of cynicism). Not bad, I suppose, and much, much more malty than their standard fare, even the short-lived American Ale of a few years back, if memory serves. It's just that, while malty is good, it just seems like the hops should be treated with the same respect, maybe? Baby steps, I guess, and I'm certain that Bud knows and thus caters to their target market's predilection for all things sweet.

2.15/5  rDev -23.8%

Black Crown Pours a clear golden color with a nice large head, and nice carbonation. Smells likes ass and soap. Taste is very soap and damp. Poor flavors make it undrinkable. Overall its not the worst offering from there, but the taste is just not there.

3.64/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Black Crown, I like the name, and I like the bottle. I've never cared for Budweiser, but I admit I got this for the old school look of the label.

Poured into small lager mug. The appearance, more dark gold, then amber, nice though.

The smell is sweet, not very heavy, but the sweetness stands out.

1st taste, sweet malt fron start to finish. the aftertaste is what can I say....very sweet. As the beer warms....sweeter yet. Sweet malt, little too no hop flavor. One thing that stands out is the smooth, very little carbonation effect. Smooth like the label says.

I tried this months ago when it first came out at a tavern, but couldnt remember. I'am happy I picked it up. I could easliy drink a few of these even with the sweetness, a hard to describe heavy, but not candy sweet taste. The higher alcohol I think helps it a bit.

A good backyard grillin beer, went good with chili. Easy drinkin working class lager, when you want something heavier than Budweiser, or Miller. Good price.

1.6/5  rDev -43.3%

Like the open minded person I claim to be, I grabbed this in a mix and match run. less than two bucks, can't be a waste, right? well....

A - terrific amber color is about the only thing this one truly has going for it. head was fizzier than a bottle of soda and literally completely disappeared. COMPLETELY. I have never EVER had a head vanish without even a trace. I could not believe it

S - moderately nice crisp lager smell, light malt tones and citrusy grass.

T - Oh. my. god. This instantly shot up to the top of my list for THE most disgusting beer I have ever tasted in my life. Beer30 and regular Budweiser are masterpieces in comparison. overwhelming cooked veggies with a punch of sawdust behind it. no discernible hops. no toasty malt that I'd expect with a beer this color. foul. foul foul foul.

M - heavy and sticky in a bad way. just perpetuates the taste. had to drink water to get it all to go away.

O - even given the color, which at this point I can safely say could even be artificial, I cannot recommend this beer at all. to beer nerds, to regular Bud fans, to people looking to branch out, to anyone looking to try something new. No reason to recommend this. If this is an attempt on Bud's part to reach out into the craft world with its "beechwood aging" and the like, they need to rethink it. hell, American Ale was a great beer that I can't even find anymore. They should reinvest in that and just leave this one to rot.

2.82/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into clear plastic cup.

Appearance: Light amber without much head.

Smell: Light caramel and grainy malts.

Taste: Very light caramel. Not much else going on.

Feel: Light bodied, kind of watery. Carbonation is high but not as out of control as the standard Budweiser. Crisp finish but not dry enough.

Overall: Watered down Amber. Nothing bad but nothing good.

2.84/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

A: The beer is crystal clear light amber in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high off white head that died down, leaving a thin head covering the surface and lots of lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: Light aromas of grainy malts are present in the nose along with some hints of caramel and toasted malts.
T: The taste follows the smell, although the caramel and toasted malts flavors are a little bit stronger and lend slight hints of sweetness. No bitterness is perceptible.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied, clean and a little thin on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer isn't that bad, but definitely tastes like a "light" version of an amber lager and seems like it could use a little more malt. It's very easy to drink.

Note: Bottled on 2/9/13

2.98/5  rDev +5.7%

Bud led a contest of all its brewers, and LA won. The result Black Crown Golden Amber Lager

If you want a bud the way it used to taste when you were a teen, this is your beer.

A Lovely golden amber for lager but a thin head, a little lacing.

S Nice Hop bouquet, light, subtle, and way more than red bud.

T Great tingle and finish. Carbonation medium, but gassy like all Buds.

M More body than reg bud, more alcohol, substantial. Bud Lite NOT.

Food match - great with lemony dishes, flounder and light fishes.

Must try it. If you're a lager drinker, you must try this. Must be tasted blind apparently from the knee jerk low reviews here.,

2.33/5  rDev -17.4%

Sampled last night on 11/9/14 but tried this about 2 years ago when it first came out. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a vintage 'Budwesier' thumb-print goblet.

Pours a pretty reddish-copper amber in color with a very thin cap. Some spotyy lacing is seen when sipped. The aroma is mostly of roasted malts and grain with a very light hint of caramel also. The taste was pretty much the same but did leave a bitter aftertaste that lingered for awhile. Strange that I liked this brew less and less after each sip. Lighter bodied with good carbonation as is the norm for most Bud products. What did I like about this beer? The color and that is was gone finally.

3.39/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Served in a tulip glass

a: A shade darker than the average macrobrew- with a light amber tint. A nice generous head makes this one actually look pretty nice

smell: It has that harsh astringent smell you get from AAL's, with a bit of creamed corn and caramel added to it. Not good, but it could be worse...but not by much
Really the smell kinda makes me sick

Taste: Here we go....and it is...Honnestly pretty good. Wow, that's surprising. This stuff ain't half bad!
It has a decent maltyness to it, with a lot of fruity lagger flavors as well....kinda like a maibock....hummnn..surprising.
for the taste Id have to give this one a surprising...

Mouthfeel: Harsh, stingey carbiantion. It bites like crazy....but given enough time to fizzle out, it not too bad
but still....that overcarbiantion takes points away from me.

Overall: I have to give this one a 3.5/5. Its not a bad brew by far (not surprised, the brewers at AB are top notch), but it still has a lot of room for improvement...but still....a step in the right direction

the 2ed best macrobrew stuff Ive ever had, right behind Narragansett.

Budweiser Black Crown from Anheuser-Busch