Budweiser Black Crown - Anheuser-Busch

poor

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Damian74Shensky on 01-01-2013)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Black Crown Alström Bros
4.26/5  rDev +54.9%

No reason to be a beer snob about this one. It is one of the better macro brews I can think of. A good, but not complex aroma and taste. At first sip I worried a bit about the slight sweetness but that faded as I continued. I would definitely try again ... one of the better value beers I've encountered in a while.

marzenfannm, Mar 18, 2013

Bear1964, Mar 17, 2013

Gagnonsux, Mar 17, 2013

Garrett092112, Mar 16, 2013

weaselchew, Mar 16, 2013

tomhartnett, Mar 16, 2013

chrisd73, Mar 16, 2013
3.21/5  rDev +16.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a mug at slightly-warmer-than-fridge temperature.

L – Deep gold color with a 2-finger bubbly, white head that fades relatively quickly into a thin cap of fizzy bubbles on top of the beer. Some patchy lacing. Clear with lots of bubbles. I’d like to see a slightly darker color, but the head retention was actually better than I was expecting.

S – Caramel, grainy, and slightly bready malt with some corn. Smells similar to Budweiser but it certainly has more of a caramel presence.

T – Sweet caramel, toasted bread, and cereal, grainy malts along with some corn at mid-taste-to-finish. The taste is certainly muted but much better than I was expecting.

F – Light-bodied with lots of carbonation, a crisp and clean mouthfeel, and a mildly sweet and dry finish. The 6% ABV is completely unnoticeable.

O – This beer was much better than I was expecting and is really not bad at all. It’s lighter and more toned-down than good amber lagers, but I was expecting a lot less from AB InBev. It’s extraordinarily drinkable, especially at 6%, and very refreshing. For what it’s supposed to be, it’s actually quite good. I would definitely take this over other BMC offerings.

BlackBelt5112203, Mar 16, 2013

Chrysostom, Mar 16, 2013
3.34/5  rDev +21.5%

I was surprised by this beer. In a straight BCM bar this was a standout. Wood drink again. Had a good time playing pool. I was beaten by a guy using a broomstick for a pool cue.

Seriously, If you find yourself fuct in a MBC desert, try this one. Threre is some flavor there if you look really hard. i give it fours for taste an mouthfeel because in comparison to my other options tonight it went above and beyond. Wood drink again.

NiceFly, Mar 15, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +27.3%

jbertsch, Mar 14, 2013
3.16/5  rDev +14.9%

I picked this up as part of a mix-a-six at Giant in Linglestown, PA, enjoyed chilled in a Nonic.

The color is dark golden bordering on light amber with decent clarity and ample white cream with tiny beading and lace collection on the glass with good retention.
The smell has a sweet bready aroma with mild biscuit and light yeast aroma with subtle fruit. The feel is semi-dry at first with semi-high carbonation and light creamy texture with gentle sweet and semifull finish with smooth feel in general.

This lager tastes decent with generally light malt but only the slightest toasted grain taste and low hop flavor with some gentle yeast and subtle alcohol with generally bready taste and grainy with slight sweet adjunct type sweet flavor, but not as full flavored as you might expect from a 6% lager. Overall a no frills stronger than average lager for this brewery with ease of drinkability but not abundantly flavorful, I would probably pass unless it was given to me.

Slatetank, Mar 14, 2013

nsnd, Mar 12, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -9.1%

TheBeerAlmanac, Mar 11, 2013
3.05/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a amberish color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, some light malts. Taste is also mild, somewhat weak, a bit of grains and malts. Feels light in the mouth and overall, while nothing offensive, tends to be a bit yawn inducing.

tone77, Mar 11, 2013

Burkbom23, Mar 11, 2013
3.36/5  rDev +22.2%

Budweiser Black Crown. I had to pick this one up and give it a try. 'Distinctively Smooth, Beechwood Finished'. 6%. Poured into a pint glass of my liking.

One finger of white head. Holds a bit. Fizzes with sound. Light copper gold color with pristine clarity. Lots of little bubbles climbing.

Has a toasty grain character to the nose. Some adjunct-iness. Wafery in the malts. Slight scent of a grassy hop. Not bad, really. Definitely reminds me of regular Budweiser, though.

Spicy and clean with a more prominent fusel booze note. Tastes very cereal. A very light woodiness that's hard to even mention, but I like it. Caramel malts work well here. Some corn is noted and it mixes in with the sweetness. It's still far from harsh, quite the opposite. Very smooth.

Has a piquancy to it. Brushy carb accentuates it. The body is nothing to talk about, but the smoothness behind the rush of carbonation is nice. Quite refreshing.

A new favorite BMC beer. I could actually see myself downing a few of these on a spring afternoon. If the price is right, I'd actually consider going halfsies on a case.

thecheapies, Mar 11, 2013

hardrock, Mar 10, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -18.2%

TheBigBoy, Mar 10, 2013
2.23/5  rDev -18.9%

The latest attempt for Budweiser to branch out. I liked the American ale or lager (I forget what it was) that they had a few years back better. This was mediocre at best, and I would much rather have had a Bud.

This wasn't exactly terrible, but it was middle of the pack for an American Amber Lager. That is not saying much since there are tons of this style of beer available in my market from brewpubs to microbrews, and many of them are indistinguishably. I am starting to call this style "house beer" because it is becoming the new generic.

This beer was totally unmemorable. I am not going to just slam it outright because it is a big brewery trying to get into the craft market, it is a decent effort; it is just that there is nothing really going for this beer.

The flavor was lacking a crisp finish that I have come to expect with amber lagers, and there was a little too much body to the taste. There is a definite caramel flavor going on which makes the flavor alright, but nothing to write home about.

One thing I really did not like about this beer is the fact that I already know it is going to fail. Absolutely no one is going to buy this beer on a regular basis, because people that like adjunct lagers are going to dislike it, and people that are too refined and close minded that already hate it because it is a Budweiser product will never even give it a chance. The fact is, is that Black Crown is not really any different than the myriad of craft brews popping up all around right now that feature an American amber lager, and I am absolutely positive that in a blind taste test, no one could tell one apart from the other.

I will say that the smell is okay, the taste is not really bad or good, and the color is a reddish one. Outside of that, there is not much going on here but it does hold up to other beers that are exactly like it.

orcsinspace, Mar 09, 2013