Budweiser Black Crown - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: Damian74Shensky on 01-01-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Budweiser Black Crown Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,032 | Reviews: 213
1.03/5  rDev -62.4%

I'm sorry guys, but this one is something I will never buy again.
The best thing I can say about it is that I can taste the beachwood aging. But it all goes terribly wrong from there. No other taste worth mentioning. No real smells (which I suppose could be a good thing). Mouthfeel... Ok, it was carbonated. Perhaps not as much as a usual AB beer.

Anyhow, I expect this one to fade from the market quite quickly.

1.14/5  rDev -58.4%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1

Budwiser's new "Black Crown" has a unique and interesting flavor profile. - No one ever
This tastes like Bud in a black bottle. This is regular bud in a black bottle. This is not beer. Also, the head is weak and goes away almost immediately. Giving this beer a 1 for smell is a lie. It is actually a 0.

1.2/5  rDev -56.2%

What the hell is this!?

I should start by saying that when this was first advertised mysteriously as Budweiser Black a few months ago, I thought we might see them try to go in a new direction, make a mass appeal black lager or something. You know, a darker beer with some decent roasty characteristics, but dumbed down for the less discerning palates that they cater to, sort of hit that middle of the road, Shock Top drinking crowd on the dark end of the spectrum. The platform for them to do so was certainly there, and I was optimistic…

Man was I wrong. First of all, what in the world is a golden amber lager? Second of all, and maybe of primary concern for me here is this advertising campaign, which is essentially doing the same thing as the Bud Light Platinum tried to do. That is, trying to convince a crowd of self-important wannabe “young professionals” that beer is cool, that their lives are unique and special, and that they need to show it off with this brew. Come on, you guys are too good for the blue collar Bud, that’s working man’s wash. What are you? A farmer or a steel worker? Didn’t think so! You guys are also waaay too mature for Bud Light, that’s what college kids drink, and you’re like totally over those years, wild as they were for each and every one of you private school heroes. You are a grown up now, on the verge of upper class, you got the job, you got the car, you got the lofted apartment downtown, now you need to stand out, you need a beer that fits your desired rung on the social ladder, that beer, is Budweiser Black Crown!

It is flat out offensive, this force fed commentary on socio-economic elitism, and on what beer should represent. I don’t mind a beer that lies about being “born from nature” or “frost brewed” or even an import that uses a little swagger to sell itself. What I do mind is an “I’m better than you and I’m going to drink it in” attitude, and that’s exactly what is going on here.

The beer itself is a shocker, and I’m furious about it. It pours an apple juice color with no head at all but a ton of soda bubbles racing to the surface frantically. Like a thick cream soda. The nose is repulsive, it made my girlfriend sick after one whiff, and I should have heeded the warning myself. It smells metallic, unfermentedly sweet, chemical, extracty, and rancid. I cannot pick out any grain, hops, or yeast at all. Maybe some stale bread aromas, like the crumbs that fall out when you turn the toaster upside down, but that’s about it.

The flavor is no better, although I tried hard to like this. I gave it three good glugs, trying to find a redeeming quality. Is that a nice fruity kick in there? Nope, that's an unturned compost pile rotting away in the summer sun. Is that some toasty grains giving this some sturdy body? Nope, that's corn syrup with additives trying to fool me. The third sip I had to force down, and for the first time ever, I hate to admit it, I drain poured it. Now I’ve worked my way through the worst of the worst, Mich Ultra, Corona Light, and all the rank ice beers and malt liquors that still grace the shelves at gas stations in this beloved country. I even wake up hungover some mornings and finish off somebody’s half drank, flat, warm IPA and derive some utility from it, but my God, I could not, for the life of me, get this crap down my throat.

Bud missed a major opportunity here to move into a niche between factory and craft beer. They lost most of the remaining respect I had for them, and honestly, the marketing of this beer is even worse than its taste. Never, never again Bud, will I give you the benefit of the doubt, defend you as the lesser of three evils (Bud, Miller, Coors), or admit that my very own mother spent the better part of a decade working for you. I am ashamed for you. This product needs to fail, and someone needs to be held accountable.

People get all up in arms about Marilyn Manson and Jersey Shore and video games corrupting youth and traditional values. This beer and its marketing campaign are guilty of a similar crime, and we should take to the streets about it!

1.25/5  rDev -54.4%

Save your money.

1.41/5  rDev -48.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

This offering was just bad.

1.5/5  rDev -45.3%

I'd rather a standard Bud or even Bud lite in terms of price v quality.

Muyton dressed as lamb.

1.5/5  rDev -45.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Not sure what they going for here

1.53/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

While I had seen the slick advertising for this beer, I dismissed it until I could taste one and form my own opinion. Taking it home from the store, I poured one into a tall glass and noted the definite amber look to it, much like an Oktoberfest style of beer. That was the high point.

With no discerning aroma, the first taste of the beer yielded a soapy and bland mouthfeel with a hint of caramel. Two more tastes of the beer were the same until I disposed of the remaining portion in the kitchen sink.

No hops, a medium-light body, and only a vague caramel taste to support it, I wondered if A-B was trying to recapture the lost 1970's glory of Michelob Lager with this beer.

1.56/5  rDev -43.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Had this at the Regina Festiv-Ale on Jan 31st. 4 oz sampler.

Amber colour with off-white head.

Aroma is cloying. Super sweet. Cooked corn and corn syrup.

Cloyingly sweet and full of adjuncty flavours. Grainy, cooked veggies, corn syrup.

I'm glad I just had a sampler and didn't buy a 6 pack.

1.6/5  rDev -41.6%

Like the open minded person I claim to be, I grabbed this in a mix and match run. less than two bucks, can't be a waste, right? well....

A - terrific amber color is about the only thing this one truly has going for it. head was fizzier than a bottle of soda and literally completely disappeared. COMPLETELY. I have never EVER had a head vanish without even a trace. I could not believe it

S - moderately nice crisp lager smell, light malt tones and citrusy grass.

T - Oh. my. god. This instantly shot up to the top of my list for THE most disgusting beer I have ever tasted in my life. Beer30 and regular Budweiser are masterpieces in comparison. overwhelming cooked veggies with a punch of sawdust behind it. no discernible hops. no toasty malt that I'd expect with a beer this color. foul. foul foul foul.

M - heavy and sticky in a bad way. just perpetuates the taste. had to drink water to get it all to go away.

O - even given the color, which at this point I can safely say could even be artificial, I cannot recommend this beer at all. to beer nerds, to regular Bud fans, to people looking to branch out, to anyone looking to try something new. No reason to recommend this. If this is an attempt on Bud's part to reach out into the craft world with its "beechwood aging" and the like, they need to rethink it. hell, American Ale was a great beer that I can't even find anymore. They should reinvest in that and just leave this one to rot.

1.63/5  rDev -40.5%

I tried this a couple months back when my bar's AB rep gave us a sample 12 pack. This beer is being aggressively marketed right now here in Ontario... on television, in magazines, bars and LCs. I haven't noticed it picking up much steam, though, and there's a pretty good reason. It's a pretty bad beer.

Yeah, we get it AB! You're trying to ride the coat-tails of craft brew's success. That's all well and good, but you'll have to come up with something a bit (read "a LOT") better than this. Now, I'm going to review this from memory, as I have NO interest in trying one again, so bear with me.

Poured into a glass, fizzy, dissipating head with huge soda-pop bubbles. No memory of lace, most likely minimal to none. And the smell? Sweet corn.. like a regular bud, but far sweeter.

And MY OH MY THE TASTE!!! I remember all I could think was 'Jesus H.C.... Am I drinking Busch Ice?!'. Now, having just gotten back fro a music festival and camping weekend, there was a lot of cheap, strong brew being slugged. Namely Busch Ice. Bud Crown tasted uncannily like it. It was remarkable, really. With maybe a hint more sweetness from whatever brewer's malt the concoct the stuff with. It's really not that far of a stretch of the imagination to think they're the same base brew.. both AB products, both 6%. Both, uh, pretty gross. But at least Busch Ice is cheap as hell.

Anyways that's my two or three cents, take it or leave, hate it or like, run it or walk it, fry it or bake it, out of the can or out of a glass. Whatever. Just whatever your flavour is, be it craft of macro, stay clean away from Bud Crown. Gross.

---
Life alas is very dear, up with the glass, down with the beer!

1.74/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Acquired as part of a 12 pack at my local Von's grocery store. I bought it with a coupon but I can't recall the price. "Golden amber lager." 6.00% confirmed. Expectations are as low as low can be. Born on January 12th, 2013. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with a twist-off pressure cap and a black and gold sleek label served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. I'd serve this into a pilsner glass, but the one I have is dirty and I'm not expecting this to be anything worth giving that kind of attention to.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Paired with a 75 cent frozen pizza (Totino's, if you must know).

A: Pours a one finger head - quite thin - without any cream or froth, and of bad (~30 second) retention. No real lacing as the head recedes. Body colour is a clear translucent copper with a vague amber hue. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. It's not much to look at, but it looks better than many other Budweiser beers I've seen. There are no huge flaws.

Sm: I'm surprised; it has a pleasant floral hop aroma with a healthy dose of caramalt filling out the body. Nicely sweet. Heavy banana, actually. Grassy and grainy. It comes off too sweet but I'm pleasantly surprised by the aroma; there seems to be actual flavour in this beer judging by the smell. Still, it's artificial and kind of a turn-off. A bit medicinal, even, like a honey-banana cough medicine - if such a monstrosity exists. An above average strength aroma.

T: Overly sweet. Artificial. Bleh. Artificial banana. Floral hop extract syrup. Artificial caramalt forming the body. No grains or grassiness in the flavour, just blandness and sugar. And corn adjunct. Medicinal and candy like. Ugh. Neutral nutty notes in the third act, but not nutty in a brown ale sense; more a muted chestnut. It's balanced in its poor character. No complexity or subtlety at all. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. I think I might actually prefer the bland watery taste of ordinary Budweiser; this is just too sweet and crappy.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Carbonation is a bit overdone but acceptable. Palate presence is okay. It's artificial and far too syrupy. Suits the flavour profile alright.

Dr: Far less drinkable than ordinary Budweiser or Bud Light; I'd definitely vomit faster if I played beer pong with this stuff. I was surprised it's as bad as it is, but if I had to pick out a decent characteristic it'd be the caramalt, which at least lends it a decent aroma. Hides its ABV well. Not at all recommended.

High F

1.81/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Portion of a 12 oz bottle into a Hunahpu's snifter. Let me repeat that: Budweiser Black Crown was poured into a Hunahpu's snifter. From notes.

A: Pours a light amber color, with a quickly fading white-shaded head.

S: Sweet caramel, cotton candy, and a pleasant lack of adjunct. Not 'good', however it's really not an awful nose.

T: Sadly, there's a more notable adjunct presence on the flavor, followed by a bit of caramel...and a whole lot of nothing. Vintage Budweiser!

M: It feels too thick and heavy on the palate given how flavorless it is. This should be easy to drink - and isn't.

O: Better than BL Platinum, I suppose. I've had it once, I never need to have it again.

1.81/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Saw this at my local C-store and decided I would give it a try. After all, it's black crown, so it must taste regal....right? Wrong. If I had to describe this beer it would be 3 parts bud, 2 parts Michelob Amber Bock. Tastes pretty bad and leaves a "twang" taste on your tongue after your done. Michelob Amber Bock isn't the greatest, but it deserves a crown a lot more than this crappy beer does. I'll stick with Sam Adams Boston Ale or even Miller Genuine Draft is better than the "Black Crown."

1.83/5  rDev -33.2%

Appearance – This is crystal clear with a monster head that fell quickly, not exactly what I was expecting.

Smell – This smells just like their Adjunct Lager. I really don’t get any characteristics of the style. It’s old, stale, cheap American grain.

Taste – Again this has no malt and I can’t for the life of me find one thing about this beer that would justify calling it an Amber Ale.

Mouthfeel – It’s kind of smooth which isn’t bad but it is way too light for the style and the cheap carbonation is wanting.

Sinkability – I couldn’t even finish this sad effort.

1.9/5  rDev -30.7%

Dateline: August 5th, 2014. Locale: Norcross, GA. Available beer: Almost None. Available Store: Racetrac. Personal Status: Bloody Exhausted. Beer Found: 25 oz. pounder can of Bud Black Crown. And I'm gonna drink it, because I'm fucking punchy.

Look: Nice sinister black can yields stuff that's more yellow than amber. Massive amounts of carbonation. Vessel: Wingate paper cup. Ribbed, even. Nose: I'd have to snort this off a mirror or someone's ass to get a scent. Grain? Not offensive, or mediocre. Just not there.

Beer Target Verdict: Black Crown isn't good. I have nothing against Bud: if they started bottling Hunahpu's in pounder cans, I'd fill up their coffers with my frayed dolla bills. But I know Huna & Black Crown, you're no Huna. Taste: not good. Not one-sip-and-hurl-the-can-outta-the-window bad, but the kind of not good that requires toothpaste soon. Grainy, with that aftertaste that I believe Bud has patented (you know, tired, spent grain & old, faint hops), mild sweetness, cream corn. Unfortunately, nothing out of the ordinary for the brewer & as much as I thought I was going to power through this experience, it ain't gonna happen.

In Sum: Four ounces in, count me out. Not undrinkable, but I'd have to be parched or dying of thirst to have this one again. Funny, I had a Miller High Life not long ago (which inspired me to pick this up) & it wasn't so bad. End Game: Sink.

1.96/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

I like craft beers, I like bud light and I thought this would be worth a try. It was like a watered down amber ale with apple flavoring. Attractive packaging, but I can't imaging they'll be brewing this one for the long term.

1.97/5  rDev -28.1%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

oh god, was I really thinking this had a chance at being better??
actually, it IS almost drinkable.... pour pi$$ urine yellow (?more yellow than the kirin I just had) . . . . smell is non-existent.... taste is . . . . geez, whatever.... I so wanted to be a part of that commercial where everybody is drinking the black crown and saluting the guy at the head of the table.... oh well, never mind.... barf. but I think I just MAY be able to finish this one if I hold my nose and guzzle . . . . .

Well maybe not the king of beers...

Much better than the original and any other macro. Still wouldn't ever drink it again though

Bought it thinking it might be decent, but it was just typical macro watered down beer. Last time ill ever pay for a macro.

pending pending pending pending pending

2.06/5  rDev -24.8%

Picked up a 12 pack of this because of the awesome commercial during the superbowl... not really, it was just cheaper than buying soda.

A. Just on this side of amber from straw yellow. A little bit of head and an average amount of carbonation.

S. Typical budweiser lager aroma, sweet and perhaps a little bit of pears or roasted apples.

T. This beer doesn't have much flavor but it does taste a little more mature than regular bud however I think I would still prefer regular bud. It appears that they didn't want to wander to far from the path on this one and just threw a bag of caramel malt into the mash.

M. Light and smooth with a very light body and not much aftertaste.

Overall I don't know what this beer is trying to do. I would rather buy amber bock which at least has some balls. Don't bother with this one.

2.07/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A: poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, I'll put the bottle opener up since it's a twistie, pours a copper color with a short white head that dissipates quickly leaving no lacing, clear

S: sweet slightly boozy corn mash, sugary, maybe caramel

T: sweet, sweet, sweet, slight malt, mostly sugar, no hops, no depth of flavor, I don't like this

M: overly carbonated, watery, soda like, I can't tell the alcohol is there, the finish is as always clean

O: if you want to buy something from Budweiser get a plain ol Bud diesel, there is a reason it will be around long after Black Crown is gone, this beer is too much like a sweet beer flavored soda, it's trying to be a bock but falls short on all areas

2.11/5  rDev -23%

Skunk. Pure skunk.

I'm an average guy who lives in a safe neighborhood, enjoys golfing, and has some morals. After drinking one of these skunk beers I was immediately transported to a dirty front porch in a section 8 housing project with antagonizing rap music blasting.

That's a ghetto tasting beer!

Budweiser Black Crown from Anheuser-Busch