Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2013

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat is a unique, hand crafted brewed hybrid of Belgian wheat beer and sweet cider, with natural Honeycrisp flavor added to produce an innovative new brew that is crisp, refreshing and flavorful. This unfiltered brew is the perfect beer to welcome the warming Spring days.
Ratings: 767 | Reviews: 139
Reviews by Pegasus:
3.23/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Rather hazy yellow-brown, as befits an unfiltered wheat beer, with a fairly robust, coarse white head, which retains fairly well. The lacing is fairly thick, scattered, and patchy.

Aroma: Prominent apple note, somewhat artificial, alas. The aroma is strongly reminiscent of the Jolly Rancher apple candy of my youth. I am not able to detect any wheat in the aroma.

Taste: Opens with a sharp, crisp flavor of apples, fortunately lacking the artificial quality of the aroma. As the taste progresses, there are understated flavors of baked bread, and a hint of earthiness, in keeping with the wheat base of this beer. That being said, the apple flavor dominates the taste from start to finish. Late in the taste, there is a distinct flavor of apple rind, and a faint hop presence.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, and decently full, with mild carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Better than I expected it to be, among the better Shock Top offerings. This is presented as a spring seasonal, in my opinion, it would be better suited to autumn. I did swirl the last half-inch of the beer in the bottle before pouring it into my glass. Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat might present slightly differently if this were not done. This beer might serve as an entree to craft beer for those who are accustomed to "malternatives" and other such sweetened alcoholic beverages.

Presentation: Packaged in a custom twelve-ounce brown glass long-neck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

Source: Purchased at Wal-Mart in Texas as a selection of a Brewmaster's Choice build-your-own six-pack for $8.99.

2.26/5  rDev -26.9%

had this after a hot day at the lake with the in-laws. It looked very pretty in the glass, but it all went downhill from there.

Smell: tart green apples. OK, what I would expect.

Taste: artifical green apple flavour, like Jolly Rancher candy. If you put this in front of me I wouldn't know what it was - is this a failed infected beer? Is it a dreadfully bad cider? Did someone slip some cough syrup in a macro lager?

The worst part of the experience for me was the way the horrible artificial green apple flavour repeated on me all night until well after 1am.

Dear gods and little fishes, this is dreadful. Don't avoid it, run away from it screaming like it just dropped a bucket of cockroaches in your hair.

3.29/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a pale, golden-straw color, hazy and nearly fully opaque in the center, very pale straw and a little more translucent at the edges. Fizzling, wispy white head disappears within 20 seconds to nothing more than a skinny ring. Aroma is that of tart, sour green apples, sweet apples, apple candy, and sugar. Almost smells a bit like a hard cider. Very little wheat to be detected, and anything else for that matter, besides the apple. The taste is not as packed with apple as I was expecting from the intense nose... it's actually a bit watery and lacking. Faint, crisp apple skins graze the palate in a sparkling-apple-juice kind of way. The middle to after taste really brings out the wheat a bit more, as well as some fine grains. Mild tartness kicks the inside of your mouth more a second, but nothing too puckering. Despite the somewhat tart aroma and flavor, the beer doesn't taste or seem too overly sweet or sugary. It actually has a nice, crispy, somewhat dry finish. Aftertaste of weak wheatiness and some left over apple skins. I burped and it tasted like Apple Jacks cereal... how about that? Highly carbonated, as most Shock Top beers seem to be, making the beer seemingly evaporate as it enters your mouth.

Surprisingly, I enjoyed this one much more than I thought I would. Perhaps my expectations were set too low to begin with. It lacks a big flavor punch, but it's still pretty taste and it's not cloyingly sweet or menacing. I could actually see this working better in the summer time, not sure why it was released in January.

3.86/5  rDev +24.9%

Hmmm....a budweiser product....uh oh...

Poured into a Woodstock Inn & Brewery (Lincoln, NH) pint glass.

Typical ShockTop look...hazy, dark orange honey color, which is what any self respecting heffy should look like. Has about a 1" head thats gone pretty quick.

Smell is kinda like one of those granny smith jolly rancher candys, with some wheat and coriander (a ST staple) of course.

Taste is slightly less sour...more like a macintosh apple..with the usual wheaty smoothness up front with a very slight spice at the end...also somthing else..is that pear? Finishes pretty much the way it starts...smooth and fruitish.

Bought this at a local chain grocer in Hillsboro, NH being a slight fan of STs' other brews (bud hasnt completely screwed it up yet) and was pleasantly surprised...after the raspberry, most of them have been pretty meh. But for a cheap beer for the masses (which i normally despise) its not bad. I suppose if im down to my last 8$ and want a dwcent 6er id buy it again.

3.78/5  rDev +22.3%

A: Golden and clear with a white half finger head. Thin lacing.

S: Sweet Apple. Fruity.

T: Tastes like candy apples! Very refreshing and sweet. No hop bitterness.

M: Light-bodied drink with medium carbonation. Tart and slightly dry.

O: Make a great summertime drink. Light and refreshing. Sweetness is not too overpowering. I would definitely try this again.

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Darker amber in color with an off white head. Mild lacing.

Smell: I could definitely smell apple, some hops were present too.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste almost too sweet for a beer, all sugary apple with some bitter hops to off set it.

Overall: Not the best beer I have ever had, not by a long shot. I would say that this was better than Shipyard's Applehead, but I think if I am going to buy something apple, I will just buy a good hard cider.

3.87/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The clouded golden hue with rocky white textured head makes this beer then comes a rush of Honey Crisp Apples at the grocer in town they cost 3.69 a lb what a deal that the sixer is only 8 bucks or so. A beautiful mix of apple cider and chalky white Belgian style yeast, I think I'm in love. It's that good smells of fresh apple skins with the charming characters that we all want in a beer which I found would be refreshment. Flavor comes correct with apple skins and a fresh juicy honeycrisp note...slight hints of cinnamon laying flat with brown sugared apples this beer tastes great. Not many Shock Tops make me turn my head this is one with a drying apple cider effect that I have been enjoying since I found it's magic.

3.23/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This beer looks from the get-go like cider, clear dark yellow, though it does produce something of a head. It's not large or long-lasting, but it keeps up a wisp that leaves very, very little lacing on the glass.
Apples are forward, and there is a little wheat to it underneath. There's just a light touch of spicing, cinnamon expressly. The apple is, while a bit sweet, more focused on tart, so there's no question this beer is advertised. Malts bring a slightly musty hint of earth. Green apple skin as well as flesh are strong. Underneath, there's just barely a hint of some hops bitterness evening it out and doing what it can to make it known it's not just "alcopop."
The feel is about right for this beer. It's light, it's crisp and it feels as much like a hard cider as it smells and tastes. It has a nice, crisp bite without being too terribly spritzy, though it starts off leaning that way. A little slickness comes through in the middle but fortunately cuts out.

3.52/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Wifey brought this home for me.

Really hazy deep gold with a nice heathy white hat that "stuck around" for quite a bit. Rampant carbonation.

Strong whiffs of green apple and wheat..yeast? The apple is literally tart on my nose.

Taste is more green apple sweet tartness, with a drying slightly warming finish. Surprisingly sticky mouthfeel with diminishing carbonation.

Not bad considering I'm not usually a big fan of "apple" in a beer.

3.26/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - very bright, cloudy yellow with a short-lived, fizzy, white head

S - like a sour apple jolly rancher

T - sour apple up front followed by over-ripe red apple and apple skin

M - light to medium bodied, crisp, over carbonated

Well, this is definitely an apple ale. There's no doubt about it. Unfortunately, I'm not getting any of the spices mentioned on the label. This definitely isn't for me, but it does achieve what it sets out to do. This is a light, refreshing offering that will satisfy your typical fruit-beer drinker or cider drinker.

3.61/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Very pale apple juice. No foam, but there is some crisp carbonation.

Smell: Refreshing apple and a hint of sweet caramel; a great combination. Doesn't really smell like beer though.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Hard apple cider with some caramel malt in the background so you get the idea is it beer. Has a champagne flavor to it due to the yeast. Honestly, I found this very enjoyable, even as it warms a bit. Mouthfeel starts crisp but is a bit too sugary as it warms.

Overall Drinkability: A decent fall beer.

3.7/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat

I walked into my local beer distributor the other day and smelled apples. Lo and behold, there on tap was Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat. I poured myself a glass and had a look. It looked like fresh cider. Not much head. And it smelled like apples, even more so than fresh cider. It was sweet and it tasted like apples, albeit fake apples. I didn't find much wheat, and I didn't find much spice (some light cinnamon, and maybe some vanilla). In fact, I didn't find it much like beer at all. Still it was interesting and I knew my wife would like it. And since I was headed to an outdoor party I considered it quite seriously. In the end I passed it by, but I will consider it in the future. I could see it as an interesting beer to have on-hand at Thanksgiving.

3.09/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- You can really smell the apple not much beer aroma
Appearance- This is a fairly nice looking murky off yellow color with a small white head
Taste - Has a very apple flavored taste with a small beer bite at the end. Not bad for me but many purists will probably not like.
Palate- A light bodied beer with moderate to heavy carbonation with a thin texture.
Overall - This is an ok beer, I prefer the original version of Shock Top in the Shock Top stable. I would say this is middle of the road.

As someone who likes ciders and most Mike's Hard flavors this is horrible, horrible stuff.

4.4/5  rDev +42.4%

I don't know what everyone else was drinking that say shock top honeycrisp apple wheat is to sweet. It don't taste anything like woodchuck either. You take REDS apple ale and that stuff is like syrup not even a hint of a beer. Then you wrap your hand around this shock top and you smell the GREEN APPLE smell that reminds you of a green jolly rancher. then when you drink it , you get a cold crisp non bitter taste in your mouth with a nice suttle back taste of that green apple yet the beer taste still comes all the way through. It's perfection compared to any other apple beer I've ever tasted. As a Marine I've traveled the world and had more than my share so I think I'm pretty good judge. Sorry boys gotta call it like I experience it and I don't understand any of the other reviews on this beer they are WAY off.

3.08/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a hazed gold/bronze with a pinky of beige head. No head retention or lacing

S: Jolly rancer apple scents & a touch of capri sun

T: Sweet crisp apples, a touch wheat maltyness lurks in the background up front. Jolly rancher candy notes as this warms. Finishes swwet & crisp

MF: Light bodied, crisp, a bit sticky

Drinks fairly easy, but a bit too sweet/fake for my liking. This would do me fine in the summer in a pinch. but only for one or 2 at the most. Certainly not a wit

3.59/5  rDev +16.2%

Deep opaque gold when poured....quickly dissipating head...highly carbonated...smells like like apple cider...tastes like it smells, sweet/tart apples, a bit of wheat with honey on the end....feels a bit syrupy in the mouth.

Not bad...enjoyable but definately not a session beer. A little too sweet and cloying if you have more than 3 or 4. Definately an interesting brew! Cheers!

3.63/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Cloudy golden in color with a very thin head that dissipates quickly to a very thin lacing. Difficult to see carbonation. 3.5/5

S - very sweet and tart apple aroma. Every so slight graininess. 3.5/5

T - sweet and tart apple up front. grainy wheat middle with a grassy hop finish. no lingering bitterness. almost a shandy like beer. apple juice mixed with wheat beer profile. slight pepperiness. 3.75/5

M - Lightly carbonated. Finishes very dry. beer disappears entirely from the palate very quickly. smooth while on the tongue. 3.75/5

O - not my typical style choice but a good beer nonetheless. taste like apple juice or cider mixed with a wheat beer. 3.5/5

3.16/5  rDev +2.3%

A: hazy copper/orange in a tall glass.

S: apple and spices.

T: apple and wheat.

M: fairly weak.

O: better than hard cider, but not a beer I'd go out of my way to order. Inoffensive taste, not great but not awful either. AB is trying to convince people that Shock Top is a craft beer, and that's just not truth in advertising.

3.8/5  rDev +23%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Taste like a candy I once remembered. I would like to have it again, fo sho.

3.37/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A- Pours slightly hazy golden yellow color with a 3-finger fizzy white head that reduces to a small layer skimming the top, leaving no lacing

S- Smells like a straight cider, lots of tart apples with some sweet honey, maybe a touch of cinnamon

T-Very light flavor up front, sweet cider kicks in mid-palate with some tart apples flavors near the finish. The wheat flavor is light, but somewhat noticeable on the finish.

M- light bodied with moderate carbonation, slightly fizzy mouthfeel with a crisp finish

O- this beer serves a purpose, and would be refreshing for spring or summer days. Definitely drinks more like a cider as the wheat aspect is overpowered by the sweetness of the apple

3.74/5  rDev +21%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The color is a cloudy golden and amber mix and has a fetching quality but the head poured with too much quickly dying fizz.

The aroma is tempered in its sweetness and showcases a green Apple and wheat nose. At first I could smell it from a mile away but as it breathed the aroma became quite nice.

Preying on my weakness for Green Apple Jolly Ranchers this delivers a sweet but not cloying green Apple flavor.The wheat seems to be kept in check but may keep the overt sweetness at bay.

The feel is relatively slick, like a candy, with an easy feel and a superb lightness.

My opinion of this may be eschew because I'm partial to the flavor and I'm sure it's an additive and not natural flavors but be that as it may I still really like it.

2.83/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Shock top Honey-crisp apple wheat 6Pk bottles $7.99(OH)

12 oz brown bottle poured into a stemless white wine glass. No freshness date. just some bottling codes on the top neck label.

Pours a slightly hazy golden color. A two finger bright white head that don't last long, gives way to minimal lacing.

The aroma is a sweet sour apple smell, followed by some wheat bread smells. Towards the end i can smell some adjuncts. It don't smell corny or ricey. Kind of like pectin, an artificial flavoring used in many products today.

The taste is better than the smell. At first a crisp clean slap of sour apples followed by a slight wheat taste. Any adjuncts are well hidden in the taste, although a pectin taste remains. basically a fake apple taste.

mouth feel is actually good. Crisp, clean and not over carbonated. Reminds me of a "hard" cider, with a wheat twist. Low ABV like most ciders, and very session-able if you like sour apples. (EDIT) I could only drink three of these things. The pectin taste gets really bad after about two or three.

Overall i don't know what to say here. It's not a wheat beer more of a fake apple cider, with a touch of wheat. It's not bad, but it's far from good. I picked this up as a last minute 1 Am purchase. (in OH alcohol sales stop at 1am). It is what I expected from shock top, not real good but simply

3.86/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to the canquest creator woodychandler for tis beer. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Yes, that's correct, bottle. Even Woody gets a surplus of those sometimes. Has a cloudy golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is strong of apple cider. Taste has plenty of apples, slightly tart, not much else but tasty and very drinkable. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall I did enjoy this beer.

3.8/5  rDev +23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

3/26/13

Shock Top's Honeycrisp Apple Wheat: 5.2%, half cider/half beer; Appearance: very hazy peach; Smell: pretty strong honeycrisp apple; Taste/Mouthfeel: good amount of honeycrisp apple, crisp, slight apple skin; pretty good.

Poured into a pint glass.

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat from Anheuser-Busch