Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2013

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat is a unique, hand crafted brewed hybrid of Belgian wheat beer and sweet cider, with natural Honeycrisp flavor added to produce an innovative new brew that is crisp, refreshing and flavorful. This unfiltered brew is the perfect beer to welcome the warming Spring days.
4.82/5  rDev +52.1%

I am drinking this beer right now as I'm writing this review and even though I'm still a novice when it comes to beer, I can say this is easily my favorite beer. Very smooth, easily drinkable and great taste. Not bitter at all. It's definitely something I'll have to buy more often. (282 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +42%

Now granted, this is pretty good out of a bottle, but on tap it is phenomenal.

Honeycrisp apples are my favorite, and this tastes exactly like them. A light wheat beer mixed with juice from these apples. Absolutely delicious.

Would seek out and purchase again. (262 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +40.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

This apple crips has a wonderful flavor. Can be drank year round. Awesome sitting next to a fire. Can be drank with meals or as an after dinner desert beverage. (160 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +38.8%

I don't know what everyone else was drinking that say shock top honeycrisp apple wheat is to sweet. It don't taste anything like woodchuck either. You take REDS apple ale and that stuff is like syrup not even a hint of a beer. Then you wrap your hand around this shock top and you smell the GREEN APPLE smell that reminds you of a green jolly rancher. then when you drink it , you get a cold crisp non bitter taste in your mouth with a nice suttle back taste of that green apple yet the beer taste still comes all the way through. It's perfection compared to any other apple beer I've ever tasted. As a Marine I've traveled the world and had more than my share so I think I'm pretty good judge. Sorry boys gotta call it like I experience it and I don't understand any of the other reviews on this beer they are WAY off. (819 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

could not be happier with a random loose beer I got to try the other day. The Honeycrisp Apple Wheat for shock top smells perfect and tastes even better. I could not have had a better first taste of a beer in my entire life. The apple is a slight hint but a nice fresh aftertaste. highly recommended and a must try! (315 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +38.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Another Shock Top that didn't disappoint.

Great color out of the bottle, small head but with good lacing. The smell just blew me away, it was pure honey and apples, so much so you might think you we're drinking one of those hard ciders but with better taste. I like the carbonation on this one and was glad to find there was little aftertaste. The beer is deceptive, be careful or you'll end up guzzling it thinking it were apple juice. Overall, I scored it a bit low since this is a beer rating site and it ended up being more of a hard cider like I mention above rather than a fruit flavored beer. (601 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +37.2%

I live in AZ so this is the perfect summer pool beer. The apple fruit flavor makes this very easy to drink and enjoyable. For what it is intended to be, it is great. (165 characters)

4.31/5  rDev +36%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.75

This was very surprising and very good. Usually I enjoy Shiner when I have money and Coors when I don't but this has to be my new favorite beer Apple taste is not overwhelming and I would say kind of in the background of the beer. You do get a beer taste but the apple blends in very well. Highly recommended. (309 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +33.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

This is the second "Shock Top" Beer I have tried,the First was their "Belgian White" and I enjoyed it quite a Bit,yes perhaps it was a bit over the top with a very strong Orange Flavor..but I like Fruit Beers a LOT..and "Shock Top Honey Crisp Apple Wheat" Goes even further with a very pronouced, strong Honey Crisp Apple Aroma and Flavor..and WOW! I REALLY Dig this Brew..Actually it is More of a Cider/Wheat Beer Hybrid Mix,and I think they did a GR8 Job as far as balancing the two,you get that awesome Cider sweet/Tartness and a nice mellow wheat beer body that seems to smooth out the Beer as a whole,a lot of times as good as some Ciders can taste,they just have this overkill of sticky sweet notes that become a bit too forward and take away the Crisp Finish and because of that ,they can be less then stellar for Quaffing on a Hot day,just too damn Sweet to be totally Refreshing~
I Think the Brewers @ Shock Top Realize that fact,and quite Honestly did a fantastic job with this Beer,Though you better really love Honey Crisp Apples,because thats what this beer smells like,and thats what this beer taste like,Apples,Apples Apples man! "Honey Crisp Apples" to be precise,and I myself Love em;)
the Beer pours out a very nice golden color and right away you are hit with such a strong Honey Crisp Apple Aroma,that it floors you,and it's tough not to just chug this Beer down and pop another one right away..because it just smells and taste so damn good,and Actually you really want to drink this Beer ICE COLD,Because when it warms you start to get that Cider sweetness creeping in,there is no doubt that this is a Quaffing Beer,I was Lucky enough to get this Beer Very Fresh,and WOW! when you drink these babies Ice cold,they really slide right down!
For those people who Enjoy "Fruit Beers" and have a bit of an Open Mind,do yourself a favor and check out this Beer,it is 'Seasonal" so you cannot get it year round,the more Traditional Beer Drinker may have a tough time with such a Fruit Forward Beer of this type,and may want to steer clear of this one,and probably All "Shock Top" Fruit Beers because they are VERY Fruit Forward,and probably way too over the top for a lot of people,but I Like that,and I LOVE this Beer~Cheers and Peace2All:) (2,255 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +28.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A- Pours a light orange to yellow color with a ton of haze like a traditional wheat beer. Small to medium sized head that is mainly light and fizzy. Head goes down to a thin film on top fairly quickly with just a little bit of lacing. Body's color is very light on the edges when held to the light.

S- Huge, juicy apple scents right up front. The level of juiciness in this is surprising for a liquid. Apple is pretty much the only flavor in the scent, but man is it juicy and delicious smelling.

T- This just plain tastes like a hard cider up front. Starts with that same juicy apple flavor from the scent, then moves right into the wheat flavors. Wheat and grain turn into a fairly dry flavor profile towards the end. Ends with the grain and little to no hop bite.

M- Very, very carbonated, almost feels like a champagne. Decent body weight from the wheat, but doesn't sit too heavy. These could go down smooth for a while, but would probably fill you up after a bit.

Overall, this is a simple fruit beer, but pretty good. The wheat flavors brings it back into the beer realm from the juicy apples flavors that had me thinking it was basically a hard cider. (1,163 characters)

4.06/5  rDev +28.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz twist-off bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint
5.2% ABV, numbers on neck label.

A - Cloudy and warm-hued golden straw yellow, this beer pours with a moderately lasting tight white head that modestly disappears leaving little lace behind.

S - Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat has an intoxicating, explosive aroma of honey crisp apples, my favorite variety. It's initially strong and cider-like with no real sense of being artificial, but as the head dissipates, more beer comes through, dulling the big apple nose down considerably while adding a dry, husky straw and wet wheat nose. I don't mind it being more "beer" like (after all, this is a beer, not cider) it's just lacking in quality. Notes of cinnamon and nutmeg spice emerge as well, but it had become much less captivating. In the end, it's quite impressive, the way this beer captures the juicy apple nose.

T - The first gulp is quite impressive, really delivering a lot of honey crisp apple flavor directly to the dome but, with each passing sip some sweetness sets in, subtly suggesting a layer of artificial additives before the apple is matched in potency by the beer itself. Husky pale malt and wet wheat rise up for a flavor that's almost a direct reflection of the aroma.

M - Strong carbonation produces near instant belches as the light, bubbly beer quickly disappears from the glass. Crisp, this cider-like beer balances some sweetness with a dry finish that begs for another sip, or gulp, almost instantly.

O - I might be alone on this one, but I really dig this Shock Top. It's got a ton of real honey crisp apple flavor (once again, my favorite variety of apple by far) with nice little spice notes and a crisp, clean finish. It's almost cider-like but has enough malt and wheat character to keep it grounded as a beer, though not a witbier. It's probably the fastest I've finished my review bottle and I'm (surprisingly) sad I don't have any more. If this is around in the summer time, it would just kill it. (2,004 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +25.2%

A review by the sister of DIaNE bREW...
Appearance - You can't see through it. It looks dirty. A bit muddy.
Smell- Honey crisp apples and sex.
Taste- Like fresh apple cider. delicious! Very filling
Mouth feel- It coats every taste bud
Overall- Shockingly amazing. Shockingly delicious with apple flavour (304 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +24.6%

A-Hazy gold color with a large white head that faded quickly and left a small lace
S-like a granny smith apple
T-smells like a sweet red apple with a honey aftertaste that hasa wheat background
M-light body and medium carbonation
O-it smell like a granny smith apple, then taste like a sweet red apple that end up leaving a honey aftertaste (340 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +22.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The clouded golden hue with rocky white textured head makes this beer then comes a rush of Honey Crisp Apples at the grocer in town they cost 3.69 a lb what a deal that the sixer is only 8 bucks or so. A beautiful mix of apple cider and chalky white Belgian style yeast, I think I'm in love. It's that good smells of fresh apple skins with the charming characters that we all want in a beer which I found would be refreshment. Flavor comes correct with apple skins and a fresh juicy honeycrisp note...slight hints of cinnamon laying flat with brown sugared apples this beer tastes great. Not many Shock Tops make me turn my head this is one with a drying apple cider effect that I have been enjoying since I found it's magic. (725 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +21.8%

Hmmm....a budweiser product....uh oh...

Poured into a Woodstock Inn & Brewery (Lincoln, NH) pint glass.

Typical ShockTop look...hazy, dark orange honey color, which is what any self respecting heffy should look like. Has about a 1" head thats gone pretty quick.

Smell is kinda like one of those granny smith jolly rancher candys, with some wheat and coriander (a ST staple) of course.

Taste is slightly less sour...more like a macintosh apple..with the usual wheaty smoothness up front with a very slight spice at the end...also somthing else..is that pear? Finishes pretty much the way it starts...smooth and fruitish.

Bought this at a local chain grocer in Hillsboro, NH being a slight fan of STs' other brews (bud hasnt completely screwed it up yet) and was pleasantly surprised...after the raspberry, most of them have been pretty meh. But for a cheap beer for the masses (which i normally despise) its not bad. I suppose if im down to my last 8$ and want a dwcent 6er id buy it again. (994 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to the canquest creator woodychandler for tis beer. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Yes, that's correct, bottle. Even Woody gets a surplus of those sometimes. Has a cloudy golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is strong of apple cider. Taste has plenty of apples, slightly tart, not much else but tasty and very drinkable. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall I did enjoy this beer. (397 characters)

3.81/5  rDev +20.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz bottle poured into a lager glass.

A - Cloudy peach gold. Two inch head that lingers. Spotty lacing.

S - Delightful green apple and honey.

T - Wheat and malt are there. But the green apple and honey overshadow and compliment them perfectly.

M - Medium.

O - This stuff is fantastic! Only minor problem I have is that it should be labeled a shandy. Cheers! (364 characters)

3.8/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

3/26/13

Shock Top's Honeycrisp Apple Wheat: 5.2%, half cider/half beer; Appearance: very hazy peach; Smell: pretty strong honeycrisp apple; Taste/Mouthfeel: good amount of honeycrisp apple, crisp, slight apple skin; pretty good.

Poured into a pint glass. (306 characters)

3.78/5  rDev +19.2%

A: Golden and clear with a white half finger head. Thin lacing.

S: Sweet Apple. Fruity.

T: Tastes like candy apples! Very refreshing and sweet. No hop bitterness.

M: Light-bodied drink with medium carbonation. Tart and slightly dry.

O: Make a great summertime drink. Light and refreshing. Sweetness is not too overpowering. I would definitely try this again. (362 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +18.3%

Decent apple flavors, kinda of a mix between real and artificial apple flavors. Overall its really not that bad, a tad to sweet, but expecting worse. (150 characters)

3.74/5  rDev +18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The color is a cloudy golden and amber mix and has a fetching quality but the head poured with too much quickly dying fizz.

The aroma is tempered in its sweetness and showcases a green Apple and wheat nose. At first I could smell it from a mile away but as it breathed the aroma became quite nice.

Preying on my weakness for Green Apple Jolly Ranchers this delivers a sweet but not cloying green Apple flavor.The wheat seems to be kept in check but may keep the overt sweetness at bay.

The feel is relatively slick, like a candy, with an easy feel and a superb lightness.

My opinion of this may be eschew because I'm partial to the flavor and I'm sure it's an additive and not natural flavors but be that as it may I still really like it. (742 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat

I walked into my local beer distributor the other day and smelled apples. Lo and behold, there on tap was Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat. I poured myself a glass and had a look. It looked like fresh cider. Not much head. And it smelled like apples, even more so than fresh cider. It was sweet and it tasted like apples, albeit fake apples. I didn't find much wheat, and I didn't find much spice (some light cinnamon, and maybe some vanilla). In fact, I didn't find it much like beer at all. Still it was interesting and I knew my wife would like it. And since I was headed to an outdoor party I considered it quite seriously. In the end I passed it by, but I will consider it in the future. I could see it as an interesting beer to have on-hand at Thanksgiving. (797 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours a hazy yellow color with a slight, white head. There is a strong scent of granny smith apples with a slight hint of wheat. The initial flavor of this beer is more like a hard cider with a sweet, tangy, apple taste. It isn’t until well after swallowing you begin to get a beer taste from it. It finishes rather chalky and slightly sour. This is really more of a cider than a beer folks. (398 characters)

3.69/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I heard from quite a few friends that this was good so I decided to pick up a 6-pack. While it's not bad, it didn't live up to their hype.

A- Looks more like a cider than a beer, which makes sense, since it says it's brewed with cider. I'm a big cider fan and I'd rather have the real thing, however. There is nearly no head and very minimal lacing, and the color ranges from dark yellow to a muted orange depending on the angle.

S- This brew smells much better than it tastes; like fresh apple cider and cinnamon.

T- The apple cider taste is present but not nearly as strong as a real cider's. A hint of honey in the aftertaste.

M- Average. Nothing too thick or thin; goes down smooth, though.

Overall, this is very drinkable and while certainly not the most flavorful beer I've had, it's not tasteless or bad by any means. (831 characters)

3.67/5  rDev +15.8%

Pours hazed yellow with a think head. Some lacing sticks.

The smell is of candied apple, honey and wheat. Smells as it should, and pretty powerfully.

The taste is of sweet and sour notes - honey and apple with a clean finish.

It is crisp with a fuller side of light bodied. Not watery or fizzy.

This is a nice, crisp, easy-drinking, appley, honey-ish brew. (360 characters)

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat from Anheuser-Busch