2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple WheatShock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat is a unique, hand crafted brewed hybrid of Belgian wheat beer and sweet cider, with natural Honeycrisp flavor added to produce an innovative new brew that is crisp, refreshing and flavorful. This unfiltered brew is the perfect beer to welcome the warming Spring days.

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2013)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 431 | Reviews: 84 | Show All Ratings:
apu1

Maryland

4.85/5  rDev +54.5%

I am drinking this beer right now as I'm writing this review and even though I'm still a novice when it comes to beer, I can say this is easily my favorite beer. Very smooth, easily drinkable and great taste. Not bitter at all. It's definitely something I'll have to buy more often.

09-14-2013 02:02:22 | More by apu1
36duck

Louisiana

4.44/5  rDev +41.4%

I don't know what everyone else was drinking that say shock top honeycrisp apple wheat is to sweet. It don't taste anything like woodchuck either. You take REDS apple ale and that stuff is like syrup not even a hint of a beer. Then you wrap your hand around this shock top and you smell the GREEN APPLE smell that reminds you of a green jolly rancher. then when you drink it , you get a cold crisp non bitter taste in your mouth with a nice suttle back taste of that green apple yet the beer taste still comes all the way through. It's perfection compared to any other apple beer I've ever tasted. As a Marine I've traveled the world and had more than my share so I think I'm pretty good judge. Sorry boys gotta call it like I experience it and I don't understand any of the other reviews on this beer they are WAY off.

03-16-2014 03:37:57 | More by 36duck
jjamadorphd

4.36/5  rDev +38.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Another Shock Top that didn't disappoint.

Great color out of the bottle, small head but with good lacing. The smell just blew me away, it was pure honey and apples, so much so you might think you we're drinking one of those hard ciders but with better taste. I like the carbonation on this one and was glad to find there was little aftertaste. The beer is deceptive, be careful or you'll end up guzzling it thinking it were apple juice. Overall, I scored it a bit low since this is a beer rating site and it ended up being more of a hard cider like I mention above rather than a fruit flavored beer.

03-08-2013 01:44:46 | More by jjamadorphd
McFlyBrewCrew

4.36/5  rDev +38.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

could not be happier with a random loose beer I got to try the other day. The Honeycrisp Apple Wheat for shock top smells perfect and tastes even better. I could not have had a better first taste of a beer in my entire life. The apple is a slight hint but a nice fresh aftertaste. highly recommended and a must try!

03-18-2013 22:09:59 | More by McFlyBrewCrew
Beerwolf666

Maryland

4.23/5  rDev +34.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

This is the second "Shock Top" Beer I have tried,the First was their "Belgian White" and I enjoyed it quite a Bit,yes perhaps it was a bit over the top with a very strong Orange Flavor..but I like Fruit Beers a LOT..and "Shock Top Honey Crisp Apple Wheat" Goes even further with a very pronouced, strong Honey Crisp Apple Aroma and Flavor..and WOW! I REALLY Dig this Brew..Actually it is More of a Cider/Wheat Beer Hybrid Mix,and I think they did a GR8 Job as far as balancing the two,you get that awesome Cider sweet/Tartness and a nice mellow wheat beer body that seems to smooth out the Beer as a whole,a lot of times as good as some Ciders can taste,they just have this overkill of sticky sweet notes that become a bit too forward and take away the Crisp Finish and because of that ,they can be less then stellar for Quaffing on a Hot day,just too damn Sweet to be totally Refreshing~
I Think the Brewers @ Shock Top Realize that fact,and quite Honestly did a fantastic job with this Beer,Though you better really love Honey Crisp Apples,because thats what this beer smells like,and thats what this beer taste like,Apples,Apples Apples man! "Honey Crisp Apples" to be precise,and I myself Love em;)
the Beer pours out a very nice golden color and right away you are hit with such a strong Honey Crisp Apple Aroma,that it floors you,and it's tough not to just chug this Beer down and pop another one right away..because it just smells and taste so damn good,and Actually you really want to drink this Beer ICE COLD,Because when it warms you start to get that Cider sweetness creeping in,there is no doubt that this is a Quaffing Beer,I was Lucky enough to get this Beer Very Fresh,and WOW! when you drink these babies Ice cold,they really slide right down!
For those people who Enjoy "Fruit Beers" and have a bit of an Open Mind,do yourself a favor and check out this Beer,it is 'Seasonal" so you cannot get it year round,the more Traditional Beer Drinker may have a tough time with such a Fruit Forward Beer of this type,and may want to steer clear of this one,and probably All "Shock Top" Fruit Beers because they are VERY Fruit Forward,and probably way too over the top for a lot of people,but I Like that,and I LOVE this Beer~Cheers and Peace2All:)

09-19-2013 17:31:15 | More by Beerwolf666
BeerFMAndy

4.06/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz twist-off bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint
5.2% ABV, numbers on neck label.

A - Cloudy and warm-hued golden straw yellow, this beer pours with a moderately lasting tight white head that modestly disappears leaving little lace behind.

S - Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat has an intoxicating, explosive aroma of honey crisp apples, my favorite variety. It's initially strong and cider-like with no real sense of being artificial, but as the head dissipates, more beer comes through, dulling the big apple nose down considerably while adding a dry, husky straw and wet wheat nose. I don't mind it being more "beer" like (after all, this is a beer, not cider) it's just lacking in quality. Notes of cinnamon and nutmeg spice emerge as well, but it had become much less captivating. In the end, it's quite impressive, the way this beer captures the juicy apple nose.

T - The first gulp is quite impressive, really delivering a lot of honey crisp apple flavor directly to the dome but, with each passing sip some sweetness sets in, subtly suggesting a layer of artificial additives before the apple is matched in potency by the beer itself. Husky pale malt and wet wheat rise up for a flavor that's almost a direct reflection of the aroma.

M - Strong carbonation produces near instant belches as the light, bubbly beer quickly disappears from the glass. Crisp, this cider-like beer balances some sweetness with a dry finish that begs for another sip, or gulp, almost instantly.

O - I might be alone on this one, but I really dig this Shock Top. It's got a ton of real honey crisp apple flavor (once again, my favorite variety of apple by far) with nice little spice notes and a crisp, clean finish. It's almost cider-like but has enough malt and wheat character to keep it grounded as a beer, though not a witbier. It's probably the fastest I've finished my review bottle and I'm (surprisingly) sad I don't have any more. If this is around in the summer time, it would just kill it.

02-26-2013 00:57:30 | More by BeerFMAndy
boilermakerbrew

Missouri

4.06/5  rDev +29.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A- Pours a light orange to yellow color with a ton of haze like a traditional wheat beer. Small to medium sized head that is mainly light and fizzy. Head goes down to a thin film on top fairly quickly with just a little bit of lacing. Body's color is very light on the edges when held to the light.

S- Huge, juicy apple scents right up front. The level of juiciness in this is surprising for a liquid. Apple is pretty much the only flavor in the scent, but man is it juicy and delicious smelling.

T- This just plain tastes like a hard cider up front. Starts with that same juicy apple flavor from the scent, then moves right into the wheat flavors. Wheat and grain turn into a fairly dry flavor profile towards the end. Ends with the grain and little to no hop bite.

M- Very, very carbonated, almost feels like a champagne. Decent body weight from the wheat, but doesn't sit too heavy. These could go down smooth for a while, but would probably fill you up after a bit.

Overall, this is a simple fruit beer, but pretty good. The wheat flavors brings it back into the beer realm from the juicy apples flavors that had me thinking it was basically a hard cider.

04-03-2013 00:31:16 | More by boilermakerbrew
Diane_Brew

Ontario (Canada)

4.03/5  rDev +28.3%

A review by the sister of DIaNE bREW...
Appearance - You can't see through it. It looks dirty. A bit muddy.
Smell- Honey crisp apples and sex.
Taste- Like fresh apple cider. delicious! Very filling
Mouth feel- It coats every taste bud
Overall- Shockingly amazing. Shockingly delicious with apple flavour

03-23-2013 21:34:55 | More by Diane_Brew
a0lbudman

Alabama

3.95/5  rDev +25.8%

A-Hazy gold color with a large white head that faded quickly and left a small lace
S-like a granny smith apple
T-smells like a sweet red apple with a honey aftertaste that hasa wheat background
M-light body and medium carbonation
O-it smell like a granny smith apple, then taste like a sweet red apple that end up leaving a honey aftertaste

12-26-2013 02:13:01 | More by a0lbudman
drewschi54

New Hampshire

3.88/5  rDev +23.6%

Hmmm....a budweiser product....uh oh...

Poured into a Woodstock Inn & Brewery (Lincoln, NH) pint glass.

Typical ShockTop look...hazy, dark orange honey color, which is what any self respecting heffy should look like. Has about a 1" head thats gone pretty quick.

Smell is kinda like one of those granny smith jolly rancher candys, with some wheat and coriander (a ST staple) of course.

Taste is slightly less sour...more like a macintosh apple..with the usual wheaty smoothness up front with a very slight spice at the end...also somthing else..is that pear? Finishes pretty much the way it starts...smooth and fruitish.

Bought this at a local chain grocer in Hillsboro, NH being a slight fan of STs' other brews (bud hasnt completely screwed it up yet) and was pleasantly surprised...after the raspberry, most of them have been pretty meh. But for a cheap beer for the masses (which i normally despise) its not bad. I suppose if im down to my last 8$ and want a dwcent 6er id buy it again.

01-26-2013 00:54:20 | More by drewschi54
tone77

3.84/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to the canquest creator woodychandler for tis beer. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle. Yes, that's correct, bottle. Even Woody gets a surplus of those sometimes. Has a cloudy golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is strong of apple cider. Taste has plenty of apples, slightly tart, not much else but tasty and very drinkable. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall I did enjoy this beer.

04-21-2013 11:58:44 | More by tone77
WVbeergeek

3.84/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The clouded golden hue with rocky white textured head makes this beer then comes a rush of Honey Crisp Apples at the grocer in town they cost 3.69 a lb what a deal that the sixer is only 8 bucks or so. A beautiful mix of apple cider and chalky white Belgian style yeast, I think I'm in love. It's that good smells of fresh apple skins with the charming characters that we all want in a beer which I found would be refreshment. Flavor comes correct with apple skins and a fresh juicy honeycrisp note...slight hints of cinnamon laying flat with brown sugared apples this beer tastes great. Not many Shock Tops make me turn my head this is one with a drying apple cider effect that I have been enjoying since I found it's magic.

04-26-2013 07:24:40 | More by WVbeergeek
TruePerception

3.79/5  rDev +20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

3/26/13

Shock Top's Honeycrisp Apple Wheat: 5.2%, half cider/half beer; Appearance: very hazy peach; Smell: pretty strong honeycrisp apple; Taste/Mouthfeel: good amount of honeycrisp apple, crisp, slight apple skin; pretty good.

Poured into a pint glass.

08-31-2013 05:44:56 | More by TruePerception
KYGunner

Kentucky

3.74/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

The color is a cloudy golden and amber mix and has a fetching quality but the head poured with too much quickly dying fizz.

The aroma is tempered in its sweetness and showcases a green Apple and wheat nose. At first I could smell it from a mile away but as it breathed the aroma became quite nice.

Preying on my weakness for Green Apple Jolly Ranchers this delivers a sweet but not cloying green Apple flavor.The wheat seems to be kept in check but may keep the overt sweetness at bay.

The feel is relatively slick, like a candy, with an easy feel and a superb lightness.

My opinion of this may be eschew because I'm partial to the flavor and I'm sure it's an additive and not natural flavors but be that as it may I still really like it.

04-13-2014 01:00:28 | More by KYGunner
NeroFiddled

3.7/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat

I walked into my local beer distributor the other day and smelled apples. Lo and behold, there on tap was Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat. I poured myself a glass and had a look. It looked like fresh cider. Not much head. And it smelled like apples, even more so than fresh cider. It was sweet and it tasted like apples, albeit fake apples. I didn't find much wheat, and I didn't find much spice (some light cinnamon, and maybe some vanilla). In fact, I didn't find it much like beer at all. Still it was interesting and I knew my wife would like it. And since I was headed to an outdoor party I considered it quite seriously. In the end I passed it by, but I will consider it in the future. I could see it as an interesting beer to have on-hand at Thanksgiving.

04-02-2013 22:31:39 | More by NeroFiddled
Lemke10

3.66/5  rDev +16.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours a hazy yellow color with a slight, white head. There is a strong scent of granny smith apples with a slight hint of wheat. The initial flavor of this beer is more like a hard cider with a sweet, tangy, apple taste. It isn’t until well after swallowing you begin to get a beer taste from it. It finishes rather chalky and slightly sour. This is really more of a cider than a beer folks.

01-22-2013 06:39:20 | More by Lemke10
Kerrie

3.65/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I heard from quite a few friends that this was good so I decided to pick up a 6-pack. While it's not bad, it didn't live up to their hype.

A- Looks more like a cider than a beer, which makes sense, since it says it's brewed with cider. I'm a big cider fan and I'd rather have the real thing, however. There is nearly no head and very minimal lacing, and the color ranges from dark yellow to a muted orange depending on the angle.

S- This brew smells much better than it tastes; like fresh apple cider and cinnamon.

T- The apple cider taste is present but not nearly as strong as a real cider's. A hint of honey in the aftertaste.

M- Average. Nothing too thick or thin; goes down smooth, though.

Overall, this is very drinkable and while certainly not the most flavorful beer I've had, it's not tasteless or bad by any means.

02-10-2013 00:15:47 | More by Kerrie
jwc215

3.65/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours hazed yellow with a think head. Some lacing sticks.

The smell is of candied apple, honey and wheat. Smells as it should, and pretty powerfully.

The taste is of sweet and sour notes - honey and apple with a clean finish.

It is crisp with a fuller side of light bodied. Not watery or fizzy.

This is a nice, crisp, easy-drinking, appley, honey-ish brew.

07-17-2013 19:03:47 | More by jwc215
tjsdomer2

3.61/5  rDev +15%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Very pale apple juice. No foam, but there is some crisp carbonation.

Smell: Refreshing apple and a hint of sweet caramel; a great combination. Doesn't really smell like beer though.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Hard apple cider with some caramel malt in the background so you get the idea is it beer. Has a champagne flavor to it due to the yeast. Honestly, I found this very enjoyable, even as it warms a bit. Mouthfeel starts crisp but is a bit too sugary as it warms.

Overall Drinkability: A decent fall beer.

07-28-2013 23:19:24 | More by tjsdomer2
MetalandBeer

3.58/5  rDev +14%

Deep opaque gold when poured....quickly dissipating head...highly carbonated...smells like like apple cider...tastes like it smells, sweet/tart apples, a bit of wheat with honey on the end....feels a bit syrupy in the mouth.

Not bad...enjoyable but definately not a session beer. A little too sweet and cloying if you have more than 3 or 4. Definately an interesting brew! Cheers!

02-20-2013 22:31:26 | More by MetalandBeer
alepsycho

3.58/5  rDev +14%

If you enjoy the apple beers this offering is right up your alley. As soon as you open the bottle, a whiff of apple fills the room. I am not always a fan of "fruit" beers but I would purchase this again. This brew goes down pretty smoothly and if the price is right you should definitely give it a try.

06-07-2013 04:32:19 | More by alepsycho
mcellis

Georgia

3.56/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This is a great beer to offer to people who say they don't like beer. Very sweet, but still with enough hops taste to please people who actually do like beer. This came in handy when I was hosting my girlfriends one weekend and wanted something other than Mike's Hard Lemonade (which I have to admit I still love).

Pros: Yummy Apple flavor and smell with great carbonation for a bubbly mouth feel. Just enough Hops taste to remind that it is, in fact, beer.

Cons: Apple is the only real flavor. No complexity here. Barely any head when poured. This is meant to be drunk straight from the bottle.

Overall: It's a nice addition to a party to please everyone and is just plain tasty.

05-29-2013 16:28:18 | More by mcellis
Plumbing101

Oregon

3.55/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Went to refill Keg... and always looking for something different.
Last one from the winter orders.

Not sure what I was getting into, but I've had Shock top Before and liked it, so Why not apple.

Vary Apple, with a hint of beer.

Closer to a cider than a beer. Realize now why they asked me if I was sure at the Bud distributer.

I liked it. Not sure how I will feel at the end of the keg... But for now a fun change to share with friends.

If your looking for a beer this is a novelty that's okay for a taste... If you like ciders this is OKAY... but if you are like me and like a little bit of everything, this will bridge the gap.

Plumbing tip of the Day. "If your water heater ruptures, smile... you now have a swimming pool for a basement." (pumped 3000 gallons of water out of a basement today.)

02-01-2014 05:46:36 | More by Plumbing101
Duff27

3.54/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Near two inch white head on a dull cloudy golden colored body. Head stick around for a few minutes. Cap and collar throughout.

Smells like straight fresh apples. Uncanny.

Taste follows the aroma to a "T". Fresh tart apples followed by a near overpowering sweetness. Some lemon tang is noticeable. No alcohol presence.

Medium carbonation. Medium low mouthfeel. Funny because I expected this one to be high carbonation for some reason.

I like what ABInBev was thinking here although this is a beer that I won't be able to finish this bottle. I can see casual craft fans getting their toes wet here but the sweetness is too much for me.

06-04-2013 02:41:09 | More by Duff27
Robjm1987

Connecticut

3.54/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Apperance - Nice crisp apperance, golden brown.
Smell - Apples and wheat Crisp smell.
Taste - I would say have to be one of the best cider beers (or the best i have tasted)
mouthfeel - crisp finish, not too sweet, tones of "beer" and not cider..so it's not overwhelming.
overall - for occasion, it's good.

04-13-2014 17:01:08 | More by Robjm1987