2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple WheatShock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat is a unique, hand crafted brewed hybrid of Belgian wheat beer and sweet cider, with natural Honeycrisp flavor added to produce an innovative new brew that is crisp, refreshing and flavorful. This unfiltered brew is the perfect beer to welcome the warming Spring days.

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2013)
View: Beers (76) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 428 | Reviews: 84 | Show All Ratings:
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

1.13/5  rDev -64%

In a pint glass:

A: light yellow/golden, almost wine-like yet somewhat hazy colored body, light slowly moving streams of carbonation are seen rising filling into a one and half finger white foamy yet fizzy head, the head dies to a film coating the top of the body

S: hard apple cider, some light cinnamon/ginger comes out as it warms

T: sweet through hard apple cider flavoring

M: extremely light, almost too sessionable, apple cider aftertaste, sticky finish

O: disguised as a witbier, but I'm not fooled, this is no where close to one and I'm not a fan of real "witbiers", no yeast at all, this is hard apple cider, I won't ever have this again

02-23-2013 20:52:49 | More by BeerKangaroo
SleepyEast

1.2/5  rDev -61.8%

Got this as part of a sampler pack with Shock Top's Lemon shandy and Belgian white.

No comment on appearance since I did not really note the color when I had this (late review). In terms of smell the only thing I can think of to describe it is jolly rancher green apple. Overly sweet, artificial, and overpowering. Smelling it is almost like doing a rail of "apple" flavored sugar cocaine. No hint of beer at all. More of a juice than anything. If you made me smell this and didn't tell me what it was I would think It was some new sugary kids drink. The taste is just as overpoweringly sweet. Think candy juice spiked with sugary. I will try and finish just about everything and I like my sweets just as much as the kid down the street, but to me this is just too much. Almost didn't finish this. Have a few more bottles laying around that I unfortunaly may pour down the drain.

08-26-2013 05:45:50 | More by SleepyEast
tkdchampxi

1.25/5  rDev -60.2%

Bottom Line: This was a complete drain pour. This was actually worse than most BMC light beers, which are at least unnoticeable. This, on the other hand, was hard to stomach.

This was disgustingly, cloyingly sweet in both taste and smell. The mouthfeel was probably okay, and there was a slight slight head on the pour.

Obviously it tasted like apple, but less like good cider, and more like overly floral, cheap apple wine that had been carbonated. Reminded me of Applejacks cereal, but in a bad way - this was bad Applejacks infused BMC Light Lager

12-01-2013 22:04:38 | More by tkdchampxi
ccoyle

1.4/5  rDev -55.4%

I only have a few beers a month, so I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. However, this is one of the very few beers I have had that I would rate as genuinely awful -- bad enough to warrant my first full review (woo-hoo!). I cannot make a hard and fast assessment of the color, appearance, or lacing, as I had this straight from the bottle. The dominant, pervasive, and lasting impression, both smell and taste, is that of an alcoholic Jolly Rancher, the green apple flavor. I have had the regular Shock Top Belgian Wheat in the past and found that to be an acceptable brew in the face of limited options, so I was pretty disappointed by this variant. A hint of fruit flavor is nice, but the Anheuser-Busch people went way over the top on this one. I won't be giving it a second chance.

06-26-2013 03:08:18 | More by ccoyle
anon

1.65/5  rDev -47.5%

Up front the smell was okay, not so bad. Mouth feel was what you would expect from a cider of this type; a bit dry, nothing special. Now the taste: Okay, either I just got a bad bottle, or this clearly just isn't my thing, but this was awful; I couldn't even get half the bottle down. Would not try again.

09-09-2013 22:26:55 | More by anon
Southern_Belle

1.76/5  rDev -43.9%

I love beer. I love apple cider. I've liked every apple beer I've tried. Except this one. It smells ok, like apples and cider. The look was ok- it had a decent coloring and was similar to what I would expect of a similar beer. The taste was what got me. It didn't taste like honey crisp apples- it tasted like green jolly ranchers. It was surprisingly unpleasant and saccharine. In addition, there was a bitter note at the end of every sip that wouldnt disappear. If I could, I'd return the rest of the six-pack. Don't waste your money on this. There are much better apple beers out there.

09-29-2013 01:45:45 | More by Southern_Belle
Boggdogg

2.16/5  rDev -31.2%

Pours a clouldy yellow color with a small white head that fades to nothing quickly. No lacing. Smell is strong with apple and nothing else. Taste was much the same as smell like sour apples. Not bad if you want a light hard cider but I wouldn't classify it as a beer.

10-30-2013 00:46:53 | More by Boggdogg
StuartCarter

Alabama

2.2/5  rDev -29.9%

had this after a hot day at the lake with the in-laws. It looked very pretty in the glass, but it all went downhill from there.

Smell: tart green apples. OK, what I would expect.

Taste: artifical green apple flavour, like Jolly Rancher candy. If you put this in front of me I wouldn't know what it was - is this a failed infected beer? Is it a dreadfully bad cider? Did someone slip some cough syrup in a macro lager?

The worst part of the experience for me was the way the horrible artificial green apple flavour repeated on me all night until well after 1am.

Dear gods and little fishes, this is dreadful. Don't avoid it, run away from it screaming like it just dropped a bucket of cockroaches in your hair.

09-26-2013 11:38:46 | More by StuartCarter
Nagol

2.21/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Poured from bottle into a cup. Didn't expect to like it. Appearance is a brownish yellow with a surprisingly thick head. Smell was unappealing. Taste was too artificial. Strong apple, little wheat. Mouthfeel was the best quality of this beer. Overall: drank half and got a stomach ache.

12-08-2013 02:13:53 | More by Nagol
Huffaroma

Montana

2.3/5  rDev -26.8%

Not the biggest fan of hard ciders or fruity beers

Appearance, nice very light gold color in the glass. 1/2" head

Aroma, pretty strong with apples and a slight hint at the Belgium yeast brewed within.

Taste, not so good here, almost like candy apple straight through. There was a bit of the Belgium but it was SO buried beneath the obscene amount of candy apple flavor that I didn't find much more flavor to this beer.

Overall, I would recommend this to women who like sweeter drinks and to anyone who wants to start trying beer as an introduction into this. But that would be it.

02-22-2014 20:00:12 | More by Huffaroma
benfranklin

Arizona

2.49/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Picked up a single 12 oz to fill out a six, thinking my wife might like it.

She likes flavored wheat beers. She tried it as a "blind" test. Color was bold, almost vibrant. We both had trouble nailing down the kind of fruit being featured due to a "complex" bouquet. The head was one finger, but gone in an instant.

She was not interested in finishing this one which we both agreed was an overly-sweet cider beverage.

06-12-2013 19:12:12 | More by benfranklin
edificio5

2.5/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is really for people who may like that apple taste to their beer. I bought the Shock Top variety case and this one was part of the batch. The best way to describe this beer was like drinking a Jolly Rancher Apple. I feel it smelled like a jolly rancher too. I personally didn't like it but some other people may love it. I just gave it an average rating to be fair. I didn't like it.

07-26-2013 12:59:34 | More by edificio5
ThisWangsChung

Maryland

2.56/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle says 5.2%. Poured into a Samuel Smith pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy golden color. The head is a quick-fading two finger white shade. Not the most aesthetically pleasing brew.

S: Is this beer, or is it cider? There are strong apple tones throughout, along with a bit of tartness and some diacetyl. Jolly Ranchers come instantly to mind here. The minor beer qualities here aren't too hot.

T: This may well be cider, with its big sweetness and apple flavors, but there's also some finishing diacetyl that I could do without. The malty finish tries to balance some of the cider sweetness...only it turns it into beery sweetness that's a bit more unpleasant. None of the advertised spices come through well.

M: Thick and sweet, as expected. Lots of carbonation, too. The problem here is that it's so damn sweet that it kills drinkability - and it can't get away with it the way a pure commercial cider like Angry Orchard can.

O: I totally get this point of this product, combining a sweet apple cider with a generic witbier - the problem is it tries to be everything to everyone, and as a result, doesn't do either the cider or the beer aspect well enough to appeal to discerning craft beer/cider drinkers (plus the whole "it's made by AB-InBev" thing). Not bad for a malternative, though.

04-07-2013 17:51:50 | More by ThisWangsChung
nickfl

2.69/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A - Pours with one and a half fingers of white foam on top of a hazy, golden body. The head settles fairly quickly and leaves decent lace.

S - Green jolly ranchers with a bit of herbal hops and malt in the background.

T - It tastes much like it smells with green apple up front, and sweet malt in the middle. Finishes with a touch of herbal character and more green apple.

M - A fairly thick body, moderate carbonation, and a sweet finish.

D - Not surprisingly the green apple dominates and there really isn't much else going on.

05-29-2013 05:37:56 | More by nickfl
SonictheBeerhog

2.71/5  rDev -13.7%

I wasn't expecting such a sweet taste. It reminds me of Redd's. As for the smell I thought it smelled pretty good for an apple beer. The mouth feel is the best rating a gave. It feels so nice and smooth: moderate carbonation.

Overall: I have had worse.

12-08-2013 02:14:43 | More by SonictheBeerhog
puffmadblunts

2.73/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

As someone else said to describe this it taste just like green jolly rancher.. For me it would be hard to stomach more than one of these. It is for an aquired taste... poured slightly clear for a wheat. It is definitly a shock on the palate with a sour taste. Dont really get the honey taste. little fizzy head. try it its either a love it or hate it. Mayne ok if paired with the right meal.

Serving type: can

11-20-2013 06:48:15 | More by puffmadblunts
Ohiolager

2.81/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Shock top Honey-crisp apple wheat 6Pk bottles $7.99(OH)

12 oz brown bottle poured into a stemless white wine glass. No freshness date. just some bottling codes on the top neck label.

Pours a slightly hazy golden color. A two finger bright white head that don't last long, gives way to minimal lacing.

The aroma is a sweet sour apple smell, followed by some wheat bread smells. Towards the end i can smell some adjuncts. It don't smell corny or ricey. Kind of like pectin, an artificial flavoring used in many products today.

The taste is better than the smell. At first a crisp clean slap of sour apples followed by a slight wheat taste. Any adjuncts are well hidden in the taste, although a pectin taste remains. basically a fake apple taste.

mouth feel is actually good. Crisp, clean and not over carbonated. Reminds me of a "hard" cider, with a wheat twist. Low ABV like most ciders, and very session-able if you like sour apples. (EDIT) I could only drink three of these things. The pectin taste gets really bad after about two or three.

Overall i don't know what to say here. It's not a wheat beer more of a fake apple cider, with a touch of wheat. It's not bad, but it's far from good. I picked this up as a last minute 1 Am purchase. (in OH alcohol sales stop at 1am). It is what I expected from shock top, not real good but simply

04-18-2014 05:01:01 | More by Ohiolager
Hunter

Arizona

2.83/5  rDev -9.9%

Appearance: cloudy dark yellow in color, foamy white head that dissipates quickly and leaves no tracing.

Smell: Like a green apple Jolly Rancher. There's a bit of wheat/grain in there, but it's minimal.

Taste: Tastes like it smells. Green Apple/sweet candy dominates in the front, middle, and back of the mouthful. Very little else to go by.

Mouthfeel: It's light and clean, no real aftertaste to speak of.

Overall: It's not bad. I would have appreciated something more than a dominating apple flavor. I realize it's mixed with cider, but if the cider's going to utterly dominate the ale I'd just as soon drink cider. I'm a fan of fruit beers but I don't see the point of this one.

03-14-2013 00:26:07 | More by Hunter
BEERMILER12

Maine

2.96/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a cloudy straw yellow color with a fingers worth of head

S: Sweet green apple stands out the most, almost like a green jolly rancher. Get some light wheat and cidery notes, but the apple sweetness stands out the most

T: Follows the nose. Candy-like apple sweetness with a hint of dry cider, spices, and wheat to attempt any sort of balance. Finishes lightly dry

M: Medium bodied with moderate-high carbonation

O: I feel like this COULD be an interesting beer if the jolly rancher sweetness wasn't present throughout the nose and taste. It overpowers anything else the beer is trying to do, and gets cloying after a couple. The cider has a nice influence, but again, it's just overpowered by the sweetness. Aside from being brewed with wheat, there really aren't much wheat characteristics either... Leave this one for the faux crowd

03-16-2013 21:24:00 | More by BEERMILER12
lwillitz

2.98/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

12-oz bottle into weizen glass

A - 2 finger white head over a cloudy golden yellow body, lots of carbonation, head quickly dissipates into nothing

S - sweet apple, hint of wheat

T - sweet and somewhat sour apple juice, wheat; not much like a wheat beer; candy-like sweetness is far too prominent

M - light/medium body, high carbonation

O - wouldn't buy again

02-18-2013 22:11:55 | More by lwillitz
letsdrink

2.99/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Picked up a 6 pack at the supermarket because why not. Reviewing it for the same reason.

A - Pours to orangish, see through color. Surprising head, but dissipates quickly with little lacing.

S - I actually enjoy the smell, a little overpowering and not much else than Granny Smith apples which was pretty much expected.

T - Sour at first, predominantly apple flavors, almost like a beer mixed with a cider, which seems to be the taste they are going for judging by the label. However, the flavor quickly vanishes as the finish comes. Almost nothing at the end. The start isn't bad, but the finish left me quite dissatisfied.

M - Quite carbonated, reasonably thick and both sweet and sour.

O - Overall I think the concept is a good idea, but the execution isn't quite there. This isn't a terrible beer by any means, but it is a seasonal specialty at best. With that said, I'd drink another one if it was around. With so many great beers so choose from, I don't see myself buying another sixer.

04-19-2013 01:11:44 | More by letsdrink
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

Shock Top Honey Apple Crisp has a thin, quickly-dying head, a dark golden, apple juice appearance, with lots of bubbles (etched tasting glass), and not much lacing left behind. The aroma and taste are of apple flavor, sugar, and children’s sugary breakfast cereal. Mouthfeel is heavy and chewy, and Shock Top Apple Crisp finishes sweet and chunky. Overall, this will appeal to those who prefer sweet, flavored beer-based products, and will be hated by those who prefer the traditional taste of beer.

RJT

06-24-2013 21:37:36 | More by RonaldTheriot
Cavanaghty

Maine

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Darker amber in color with an off white head. Mild lacing.

Smell: I could definitely smell apple, some hops were present too.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste almost too sweet for a beer, all sugary apple with some bitter hops to off set it.

Overall: Not the best beer I have ever had, not by a long shot. I would say that this was better than Shipyard's Applehead, but I think if I am going to buy something apple, I will just buy a good hard cider.

07-28-2013 14:05:18 | More by Cavanaghty
Stinkypuss

3.01/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

LOOK: Brown bottle, cap removed.

SMELL: Apple cider. Green apples. The aroma is very sweet, a bit tart and artificial.

TASTE: Tart apples, with a sour apple candy taste. There are pronounced wheat ale flavors with notes of citrus. This brew is super tangy, with a hit of breadiness on the tongue that gives it an apple pie flavor. Does kind of taste like an apple crisp.

FEEL: Medium bodied. Sticky, sweet, sour and artificial notes hold on to the taste buds.

OVERALL: Average beer, a lot like commercial sours brewed in Belgium. Not intentional here, but I'll take what I can get.

05-18-2013 12:49:06 | More by Stinkypuss
Mervin

3.03/5  rDev -3.5%

served from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Pours a slightly cloudy golden tan. Bright floral and apple scents, smells very refreshing. Tastes crisp and apple tart, with a slightly lingering malty finish. Feels fairly carbonated and fresh in the mouth, a slight oily feel afterwards that isn't entirely welcome. Overall this is a really nice refreshing beer, well balanced with the apple and the malt tastes. Normally not a fan of fruit beers or Shock Tops, but I thoughly enjoyed this one.

04-30-2013 01:14:19 | More by Mervin