Follow our progress ...

Anheuser-Busch
Missouri, United States | website

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Availability: Spring

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat is a unique, hand crafted brewed hybrid of Belgian wheat beer and sweet cider, with natural Honeycrisp flavor added to produce an innovative new brew that is crisp, refreshing and flavorful. This unfiltered brew is the perfect beer to welcome the warming Spring days.

Added by Jason on 01-10-2013

Reviews: 131 | Ratings: 848

This tasted like either really bad cider or really bad beer. Like budweiser with sour apple jolly rancher hues. Two of them led to an upset stomach and an epic headache the next day. I like most beer on principle and I hate to waste it ever, but the last four of these will get dumped with extreme prejudice. Blech.

1.21/5  rDev -61.8%

Got this as part of a sampler pack with Shock Top's Lemon shandy and Belgian white.

No comment on appearance since I did not really note the color when I had this (late review). In terms of smell the only thing I can think of to describe it is jolly rancher green apple. Overly sweet, artificial, and overpowering. Smelling it is almost like doing a rail of "apple" flavored sugar cocaine. No hint of beer at all. More of a juice than anything. If you made me smell this and didn't tell me what it was I would think It was some new sugary kids drink. The taste is just as overpoweringly sweet. Think candy juice spiked with sugary. I will try and finish just about everything and I like my sweets just as much as the kid down the street, but to me this is just too much. Almost didn't finish this. Have a few more bottles laying around that I unfortunaly may pour down the drain.

1.26/5  rDev -60.3%

Bottom Line: This was a complete drain pour. This was actually worse than most BMC light beers, which are at least unnoticeable. This, on the other hand, was hard to stomach.

This was disgustingly, cloyingly sweet in both taste and smell. The mouthfeel was probably okay, and there was a slight slight head on the pour.

Obviously it tasted like apple, but less like good cider, and more like overly floral, cheap apple wine that had been carbonated. Reminded me of Applejacks cereal, but in a bad way - this was bad Applejacks infused BMC Light Lager

1.33/5  rDev -58%

Some things go great together, like peanut butter and jelly or peanut butter and chocolate. This is more like peanut butter and jelly Reese's cups, but the machine forgot the peanut butter.
To be honest the cider part was good but the beer messed it up and dragged it through the mud. I wouldn't recommend drinking this unless you enjoy disappointments.

1.46/5  rDev -53.9%

I only have a few beers a month, so I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. However, this is one of the very few beers I have had that I would rate as genuinely awful -- bad enough to warrant my first full review (woo-hoo!). I cannot make a hard and fast assessment of the color, appearance, or lacing, as I had this straight from the bottle. The dominant, pervasive, and lasting impression, both smell and taste, is that of an alcoholic Jolly Rancher, the green apple flavor. I have had the regular Shock Top Belgian Wheat in the past and found that to be an acceptable brew in the face of limited options, so I was pretty disappointed by this variant. A hint of fruit flavor is nice, but the Anheuser-Busch people went way over the top on this one. I won't be giving it a second chance.

1.5/5  rDev -52.7%

I'm sitting with someone who is drinking one, so I figured I'd take a sip and do a little review.

This isn't worth pouring into a glass, just drink it from the bottle. The nose is that of apple cider, that's it. Apples apples apples. The taste is the same, apples. That's about it. Sickening sweet. There is no way I could finish a whole bottle, I'm sick of it after three sips.

Bottom line, if you like cider, maybe you'll find it decent enough, but really......just no.

1.56/5  rDev -50.8%
look: 2 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Not quite as bad as I expected it to be (I expected horrible, I got merely bad). Still couldn't bring myself to finish it. The cloying smell was the worst part.

1.75/5  rDev -44.8%

Up front the smell was okay, not so bad. Mouth feel was what you would expect from a cider of this type; a bit dry, nothing special. Now the taste: Okay, either I just got a bad bottle, or this clearly just isn't my thing, but this was awful; I couldn't even get half the bottle down. Would not try again.

1.78/5  rDev -43.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Had this at a party, not a fan of regular shock top but wa inticed by the bright green can. Strong strong smell of apple juice. Tastes completely like jolly ranchers, the sour appeared flavor. Kind of smells like it too. Is this actually beer? I'm pretty sure its just candy.

1.85/5  rDev -41.6%

I love beer. I love apple cider. I've liked every apple beer I've tried. Except this one. It smells ok, like apples and cider. The look was ok- it had a decent coloring and was similar to what I would expect of a similar beer. The taste was what got me. It didn't taste like honey crisp apples- it tasted like green jolly ranchers. It was surprisingly unpleasant and saccharine. In addition, there was a bitter note at the end of every sip that wouldnt disappear. If I could, I'd return the rest of the six-pack. Don't waste your money on this. There are much better apple beers out there.

1.96/5  rDev -38.2%

Honestly, this beer just isn't for me, maybe it'd appeal more to someone else's palate but it just smelled sour and fermented(yes, I understand all beer is fermented), and tasted rank not quite sweet like a hard cider and not quite like a wheat beer, the concept just didn't work for me and my palate but hey maybe it'll work for yours.

2.16/5  rDev -31.9%

Pours a clouldy yellow color with a small white head that fades to nothing quickly. No lacing. Smell is strong with apple and nothing else. Taste was much the same as smell like sour apples. Not bad if you want a light hard cider but I wouldn't classify it as a beer.

2.23/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2

Poured from bottle into a cup. Didn't expect to like it. Appearance is a brownish yellow with a surprisingly thick head. Smell was unappealing. Taste was too artificial. Strong apple, little wheat. Mouthfeel was the best quality of this beer. Overall: drank half and got a stomach ache.

2.26/5  rDev -28.7%

had this after a hot day at the lake with the in-laws. It looked very pretty in the glass, but it all went downhill from there.

Smell: tart green apples. OK, what I would expect.

Taste: artifical green apple flavour, like Jolly Rancher candy. If you put this in front of me I wouldn't know what it was - is this a failed infected beer? Is it a dreadfully bad cider? Did someone slip some cough syrup in a macro lager?

The worst part of the experience for me was the way the horrible artificial green apple flavour repeated on me all night until well after 1am.

Dear gods and little fishes, this is dreadful. Don't avoid it, run away from it screaming like it just dropped a bucket of cockroaches in your hair.

2.29/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Bottle: Poured a super light yellow color ale with a small bubbly head with limited retention. Aroma of fake apple notes with sweet notes. Taste is also dominated by fake green apple notes with some adjunct notes. Body is light with OK carbonation. Quite terrible with no real wheat notes.

2.29/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

A murky drink that is more cider than beer, the Honeycrisp Apple Wheat is disappointing considering that Shock Top usually does pretty well with other wheat beers.

Look: Poured into a pint glass and the foam dissipated within a minute. The look is murky does not look like a pleasant drink.

Smell: It smells like an acrid cider and nothing like a wheat beer.

Taste: Too sweet and acidic at the same time and no hint of the wheat flavor whatsoever.

Feel: A little syrupy, but overall a decent, carbonated feel.

Overall: Had to eat with this drink to get rid of the aftertaste. I'm not a huge cider fan, but this tasted worse than most I've tried.

2.32/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass, nice full head. Developed, white, with good retention and lacing. Appearance was a slightly hazy, golden, honey color. Aroma was of Apple flavored gum with come mild malt notes. Tasted very sweet and gummy, like candy apple. Mouthfeel was syrupy with a very sweet aftertaste. Comes in a nice looking can.

2.38/5  rDev -24.9%

Not the biggest fan of hard ciders or fruity beers

Appearance, nice very light gold color in the glass. 1/2" head

Aroma, pretty strong with apples and a slight hint at the Belgium yeast brewed within.

Taste, not so good here, almost like candy apple straight through. There was a bit of the Belgium but it was SO buried beneath the obscene amount of candy apple flavor that I didn't find much more flavor to this beer.

Overall, I would recommend this to women who like sweeter drinks and to anyone who wants to start trying beer as an introduction into this. But that would be it.

2.4/5  rDev -24.3%

Found this in my fridge from a party back in may (eek). This tastes just like a jolly rancher candy. While I do love sweet girly beers this one is just not my thing. Will not be trying this again

2.46/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

If you like artificial apple flavoring, this is your brew. Got this six pack for free as part of a special, but will definitely not be picking it up again.

2.5/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer is really for people who may like that apple taste to their beer. I bought the Shock Top variety case and this one was part of the batch. The best way to describe this beer was like drinking a Jolly Rancher Apple. I feel it smelled like a jolly rancher too. I personally didn't like it but some other people may love it. I just gave it an average rating to be fair. I didn't like it.

2.52/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Picked up a single 12 oz to fill out a six, thinking my wife might like it.

She likes flavored wheat beers. She tried it as a "blind" test. Color was bold, almost vibrant. We both had trouble nailing down the kind of fruit being featured due to a "complex" bouquet. The head was one finger, but gone in an instant.

She was not interested in finishing this one which we both agreed was an overly-sweet cider beverage.

2.58/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle says 5.2%. Poured into a Samuel Smith pint glass.

A: Pours a hazy golden color. The head is a quick-fading two finger white shade. Not the most aesthetically pleasing brew.

S: Is this beer, or is it cider? There are strong apple tones throughout, along with a bit of tartness and some diacetyl. Jolly Ranchers come instantly to mind here. The minor beer qualities here aren't too hot.

T: This may well be cider, with its big sweetness and apple flavors, but there's also some finishing diacetyl that I could do without. The malty finish tries to balance some of the cider sweetness...only it turns it into beery sweetness that's a bit more unpleasant. None of the advertised spices come through well.

M: Thick and sweet, as expected. Lots of carbonation, too. The problem here is that it's so damn sweet that it kills drinkability - and it can't get away with it the way a pure commercial cider like Angry Orchard can.

O: I totally get this point of this product, combining a sweet apple cider with a generic witbier - the problem is it tries to be everything to everyone, and as a result, doesn't do either the cider or the beer aspect well enough to appeal to discerning craft beer/cider drinkers (plus the whole "it's made by AB-InBev" thing). Not bad for a malternative, though.

2.69/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Light color, definite apple smell, strong sweet apple taste, thin mouthfeel. Taste more like a wine cooler than a beer. If you like the taste of apple juice then this is the beer for you. I would prefer if it had hints to remind you of an apple, but still taste like beer.

2.7/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

As someone else said to describe this it taste just like green jolly rancher.. For me it would be hard to stomach more than one of these. It is for an aquired taste... poured slightly clear for a wheat. It is definitly a shock on the palate with a sour taste. Dont really get the honey taste. little fizzy head. try it its either a love it or hate it. Mayne ok if paired with the right meal.

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat from Anheuser-Busch