Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2013

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat is a unique, hand crafted brewed hybrid of Belgian wheat beer and sweet cider, with natural Honeycrisp flavor added to produce an innovative new brew that is crisp, refreshing and flavorful. This unfiltered brew is the perfect beer to welcome the warming Spring days.
3.16/5  rDev -0.3%

A: hazy copper/orange in a tall glass.

S: apple and spices.

T: apple and wheat.

M: fairly weak.

O: better than hard cider, but not a beer I'd go out of my way to order. Inoffensive taste, not great but not awful either. AB is trying to convince people that Shock Top is a craft beer, and that's just not truth in advertising. (330 characters)

3.17/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a very lightly hazy pale golden yellow in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass and some faint straw yellow highlights. The beer has a finger tall fizzy white head that reduces fairly quickly to a small to medium sized patch of very thin film and a very thin ring at the edges of the glass. Very light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of really sweet cider (similar to original Woodchuck if memory serves me correctly - though it has been like a decade since I've had it) with a faint hint of wheat.

T: Upfront there is a really sweet flavor of cider (akin to a Woodchuck original) that is followed by very light flavors of wheat. There is also a lingering flavor of slightly pasty Belgian yeast. Minimal amounts of sweetness or bitterness in the finish.

M: Slightly heavier than light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: Easy enough to drink with well hidden alcohol but there is something about the combination of flavors that just does not quite mixed correctly in my opinion - shockingly sweet cider with a slightly pasty Belgian yeast + wheat flavor. (1,154 characters)

3.19/5  rDev +0.6%

A: Murky pale yellow. Lots of teeny bubbles; on the sides of the glass, and floating to the surface. No head at all.

S: Smells like an Apple Jolly Rancher. Malts. Bread & Dough. Pineapple.

T: Artificial apple flavor. Sugary sweet. I bet there is a ton of 'apple oils' and 'something-crose' in this. More like a wime cooler than a beer. Yucky on the back end!!!

M: Cough syrup.

O: Honestly, I bet these would be okay on a summer day after mowing the lawn.

Thanks Sam and Vicky! (482 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A: The beer is slightly hazy yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high off white head that died down, leaving a bit of lacing on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of apple Jolly Rancher candy are present in the nose.
T: Much like the smell, the taste has flavors similar to an apple Jolly Rancher, except that there is a bit of wheat flavors.
M: It feels a bit more than light-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is easy to drink but tastes more like a candy than a Belgian-inspired wheat beer. (627 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +0.9%

A: Hazy pale golden body, with a very persistent fluffy white head. Some lacing stays behind, but not a whole lot.

S: It smells like I just bit into an apple, but has a Jolly Rancher quality to it as well. Almost like more apple than an apple. Nothing else comes through, but it does smell very appley.

T: It tastes like apple soda, and doesn't have much beer quality to it. I mean when I drink this with my eyes closed I can't tell that it's a beer. In that respect I am disappointed, but they are all over the apple flavor in this one. I mean if you want something to make candy with, you could reduce this and wrap it in plastic.

M: The mouthfeel is smooth, but it's hard to drink with a sharp apple flavor.

O: Flavor-wise, this beer is nothing like a wit. I would recommend it to people who like very strong fruity sodas, like Fanta, fruit flavored Jones Soda, or fans of Jolly Ranchers. I like fruit beers, but this one is way over the top. (949 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +0.9%

The appearance is very bright and radical. The smell is the that of a sour apple jolly rancher. The taste is okay of course like that of an apple however the aftertaste is pretty bland and well below other comparable comparisons. It was nice to try an individual bottle but improvement could definitely be made. 156 Calories, 5.2% ABV. Sam Adams Cherry Wheat remains the top for me in this category. (399 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This beer looks from the get-go like cider, clear dark yellow, though it does produce something of a head. It's not large or long-lasting, but it keeps up a wisp that leaves very, very little lacing on the glass.
Apples are forward, and there is a little wheat to it underneath. There's just a light touch of spicing, cinnamon expressly. The apple is, while a bit sweet, more focused on tart, so there's no question this beer is advertised. Malts bring a slightly musty hint of earth. Green apple skin as well as flesh are strong. Underneath, there's just barely a hint of some hops bitterness evening it out and doing what it can to make it known it's not just "alcopop."
The feel is about right for this beer. It's light, it's crisp and it feels as much like a hard cider as it smells and tastes. It has a nice, crisp bite without being too terribly spritzy, though it starts off leaning that way. A little slickness comes through in the middle but fortunately cuts out. (972 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Rather hazy yellow-brown, as befits an unfiltered wheat beer, with a fairly robust, coarse white head, which retains fairly well. The lacing is fairly thick, scattered, and patchy.

Aroma: Prominent apple note, somewhat artificial, alas. The aroma is strongly reminiscent of the Jolly Rancher apple candy of my youth. I am not able to detect any wheat in the aroma.

Taste: Opens with a sharp, crisp flavor of apples, fortunately lacking the artificial quality of the aroma. As the taste progresses, there are understated flavors of baked bread, and a hint of earthiness, in keeping with the wheat base of this beer. That being said, the apple flavor dominates the taste from start to finish. Late in the taste, there is a distinct flavor of apple rind, and a faint hop presence.

Mouth feel: Smooth, soft, and decently full, with mild carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Better than I expected it to be, among the better Shock Top offerings. This is presented as a spring seasonal, in my opinion, it would be better suited to autumn. I did swirl the last half-inch of the beer in the bottle before pouring it into my glass. Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat might present slightly differently if this were not done. This beer might serve as an entree to craft beer for those who are accustomed to "malternatives" and other such sweetened alcoholic beverages.

Presentation: Packaged in a custom twelve-ounce brown glass long-neck bottle with a twist-off crown, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

Source: Purchased at Wal-Mart in Texas as a selection of a Brewmaster's Choice build-your-own six-pack for $8.99. (1,626 characters)

3.23/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Can't wait for the Macintosh and Granny Smith spinoffs. Anyway, this stuff pours a hazy brass-straw topped by a finger of relatively short-lived lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises red apple flesh, lightly-funky wheat, and a very light whiff of what may or may not be a mixture of vanilla and cinnamon (reminds me of my favorite air freshener...). The taste brings in more of the same, along with a vein of mild orange zest. The wheat's funk increases near the finish. The body is a light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a sorta/kinda drying finish. Overall, kinda surprisingly not that bad, though I can see how the apple flavor can be a bit much for some people. Though I didn't totally like or dislike this stuff, I will say I found it enjoyable enough where I wouldn't necessarily turn down a free follow-up bottle. (868 characters)

3.24/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

I picked up a bottle of Shock Top's Honeycrisp Apple Wheat last week for $1.00 at Kroger's. I was picking up some grocerys and I saw this sitting in the dollar bin so I thought it might be a worth a try, I don't have the highest expectations for this beer, but lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, I think this was left over from fall 2012. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks like the typical Shock Top labels with some apples thrown in to go with the name. It poured a hazy light golden yellow color that took on more of a darker golden color when held to the light with three fingers worth of white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it didn't leave any lacing behind. This was an average looking beer, the color was nice, but the head and lacing were disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness and loads of apple aromas, there's some tart green apples mixed in with some apple cider aromas and it makes for an aroma that smells a little artificial and it reminds me of those green apple jolly ranchers. Up next comes the cinnamon which is noticeable but not overpowering and it goes good with the apple aromas. I also get a light wheat and grainy aroma on the finish. The aroma wasn't bad, but it was a little too heavy on the green apples and it had an artificial green apple candy aroma to it that got old fast.

T- The taste seems to be like a lighter version of the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of apples that has some tart green apple flavors to it but the apple cider seems to be the most dominant flavor. After that comes the wheat that imparts a watery wheat and slightly stale malt flavors that remind that this is still a beer. It had no bitterness at all just a lighter amount of tartness instead and an apple cider and slightly wheaty aftertaste. This beer tasted ok, it was true to to the name, but the wheat base didn't stand out that well and the apples were slightly artificial and a little too overpowering.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly cloying, lightly tart, on the thick side of being medium bodied, with a good amount of slightly higher medium carbonation that was a little prickly. The mouthfeel was nice and the extra carbonation that was a little prickly worked well with this beer.

Overall I was pretty indifferent about this beer. i didn't love it, but it wasn't horrible, I think it's a pretty average example of the style, I wish the wheat base stuck out a little more and was cleaner and the apples could be toned down a little. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it went down fairly smooth, but it was a little too sweet for me and the flavors didn't hold my attention for long at all, one is enough for me before it's time to move on to something else. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was nice and I liked the extra carbonation, it worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was that the wheat base wasn't better and stuck out more, it was more of an artificial apple bomb than a wheat beer. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's cheap, but it really isn't anything I enjoyed and I might recommend it to Shock Top lovers, but that's it. All i all I wasn't a big fan of this beer, it wasn't horrible but it didn't have enough quality's to convince me this was a decent Wheat beer. I like that Shock Top is trying new things, but this one didn't work out. better luck next time. (3,559 characters)

3.25/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours an orangy cloudy colour with minimal head.

Smell is very sweet all apple.......some bready notes but mostly apple.

Taste is very crisp...apple is at the forefront but its more subdued than the smell would suggest. Tastes sweet almost pop like. Good for a hot day.

Mouthfeel is fine for the abv

Overall its not bad. Its nice to see a variation....obviously its not as good as lots of other wheats...but its not all bad. (431 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A - very bright, cloudy yellow with a short-lived, fizzy, white head

S - like a sour apple jolly rancher

T - sour apple up front followed by over-ripe red apple and apple skin

M - light to medium bodied, crisp, over carbonated

Well, this is definitely an apple ale. There's no doubt about it. Unfortunately, I'm not getting any of the spices mentioned on the label. This definitely isn't for me, but it does achieve what it sets out to do. This is a light, refreshing offering that will satisfy your typical fruit-beer drinker or cider drinker. (548 characters)

3.27/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Nose, sweetness and wheat are prevalent, could have told you what it was without seeing the bottle, very good job on that, smells exactly like what it is.

Color, amber, looked very nice, was excited to take first taste.

Palate, disappointing...nothing wrong with it really, it tastes exactly like how it should, excellent blending in fact...I just now don't think cider belongs in a wheat beer, I think blending it with a light ale would have done better. (457 characters)

3.28/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Cloudy orange/amber with decent foam and little lacing.

Smell: Apple and wheat.

Taste: Wheat and candied apple.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and sweet, with a tangy apple aftertaste.

The Verdict: Not bad. Sweeter than most ciders, this is more of a candy apple flavored ale. (286 characters)

3.29/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a pale, golden-straw color, hazy and nearly fully opaque in the center, very pale straw and a little more translucent at the edges. Fizzling, wispy white head disappears within 20 seconds to nothing more than a skinny ring. Aroma is that of tart, sour green apples, sweet apples, apple candy, and sugar. Almost smells a bit like a hard cider. Very little wheat to be detected, and anything else for that matter, besides the apple. The taste is not as packed with apple as I was expecting from the intense nose... it's actually a bit watery and lacking. Faint, crisp apple skins graze the palate in a sparkling-apple-juice kind of way. The middle to after taste really brings out the wheat a bit more, as well as some fine grains. Mild tartness kicks the inside of your mouth more a second, but nothing too puckering. Despite the somewhat tart aroma and flavor, the beer doesn't taste or seem too overly sweet or sugary. It actually has a nice, crispy, somewhat dry finish. Aftertaste of weak wheatiness and some left over apple skins. I burped and it tasted like Apple Jacks cereal... how about that? Highly carbonated, as most Shock Top beers seem to be, making the beer seemingly evaporate as it enters your mouth.

Surprisingly, I enjoyed this one much more than I thought I would. Perhaps my expectations were set too low to begin with. It lacks a big flavor punch, but it's still pretty taste and it's not cloyingly sweet or menacing. I could actually see this working better in the summer time, not sure why it was released in January. (1,547 characters)

3.29/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

12 oz. bottle brewed on April 2nd, 2013 poured into pint glass.

A: Very pale yellow color. It's obviously an unfiltered beer, as there it's pretty cloudy. Head is thick, white, with okay retention.

S: Smells like a hard cider. Strong, strong apple is present and not much else. Good for a cider, but there's no real beer smell present.

T: Starts off like a cider, too. Slightly sour apple taste going on, but there's also a really hearty, fleshy apple taste, too. Surprisingly, this aspect is better than most other ciders because it tastes like I'm biting into a real apple. However, near the end, the apple goes away and is replaced by a slightly wheaty, biscuity beer taste like a regular witbier.

Not as sweet as I expected.

M: Body is pretty weak, here. Light and quite a bit of carbonation.

O: Not too bad at all. The apple taste is spot on, but the witbier portion is pretty average. I bought it on sale. I'd buy it again for the price or take some at a party or something. And....for those of you bashing the beer for being an InBev product....you drink Goose Island, right?

Note that I'm a pretty big cider fan. If you're not, your experience may be different. (1,182 characters)

3.3/5  rDev +4.1%

My heart goes pitty-pat when I see new CANs to further The CANQuest (TM) and I was kind of excited to see CANs of this during my Saturday day trip to Brooklyn and Manhattan. I am like a neo-hippie for CANs in that I will try anything once!

From the CAN: "Belgian-style wheat ale brewed with cider and spices with natural Honeycrisp apple flavor and other natural flavor." Well, they have not changed their tune much in nine months, but no longer is agitation required.

The Crack was not as loud as with some CANs, but neither was it brimful, which may be a CANtributor. An inverted Glug produced two fingers of dense, tawny head with good retention. Color was a downright cloudy orangish-amber (SRM = 7) and no agitation had been necessary. The nose was rich with sweet apples and I have to agree with a previous reviewer that it seemed to have a LOT in common with cider. The mouthfeel was very thin with only a mild effervescence being discernible. I was reminded of the hard cider that my maternal grandparents would produce with freshly pressed apples from their upper lot. I was also curious about the spices since they too were indiscernible. Perhaps I drank one too many Pumpkin Ales this year, but I was not getting much in the way of spice from this. Finish was sweet, downright sweet and really more than I wanted. I am going to second this as a potential alternative to a hard cider, but with so many hard ciders hitting the market now, I would have to wonder why bother?

My original, bottle review, dtd 03-05-2013 follows:

Once more, my neighbors had an oddball sixer on the shelf and I decided to split it between my uncle and a colleague. I will try anything once.

From the bottle: "Belgian-style wheat ale brewed with cider and spices with natural Honeycrisp apple flavor and other natural flavor."; "To serve, pour down the side of the glass until 1/2 inch is left in the bottle. Swirl the remaining brew and pour to produce a rich, thick collar of foam. Enjoy!"

As a previous reviewer noted, despite heavy agitation and an aggro pour, I still only developed a pinky finger of eggshell-white head. Color was a cloudy orangish-yellow. Nose smelled of apple cider, so points for truth in advertising. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full and it had a very apple cider flavor in the mouth. The spices lent it an apple pie quality, and it was actually pretty good. Finish was semi-sweet with the spices keeping it from being an outright sugar bomb. This one and the other of my share will be just about the right amount for this hophead. It was a novelty and I do not regret my purchase, but two is enough. (2,616 characters)

3.31/5  rDev +4.4%

Shock Top is definitely branching out with this beer.

The strongest flavor is the apple taste. It is consistent from beginning to finish in every sip. It's pleasant and mildly sweet with a hint of tartness, just like actual Honeycrisp apples. Because the flavor is so strong, it overpowers the flavor of the beer, masking it (which is not a quality I look for when I purchase beer).

As a big wheat beer fan, I wish more of those notes came through. A sort of wheat breadiness is almost accessible, but it's elusive and leaves more to be desired. As a nice, spring drink, this is a refreshing choice. It is a great option for those who typically dislike beer.

The cider flavor, which is this beers biggest distinction and strength also doubles as its weakness. I might buy it again for a varied social gather or on a rare occasion, but this is not a beer I would typically like to chill with. It's much more like a hard apple cider. (937 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +4.7%

drank this out of a 12oz bottle, no date on the bottle that I saw

can't comment on the look of the beer, but my guess is that it's fizzy and yellow, with a small white head. little head retention or lacing, i would gather. need more info on the look? taste is heavy on the artificial green apple, with wheat beer characteristics.

good for a wine cooler, bad for a beer. (371 characters)

3.34/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottled 3/13/13.

Pours a murky light orange with a foamy bone colored head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small streaks and dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is mainly of apple cider and green apples with maybe a hint of grains. Taste is much the same with more of the grain and some spice flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of spice bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an above average "beer" that is much more like a cider or an alcopop than beer. (603 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A- Pours slightly hazy golden yellow color with a 3-finger fizzy white head that reduces to a small layer skimming the top, leaving no lacing

S- Smells like a straight cider, lots of tart apples with some sweet honey, maybe a touch of cinnamon

T-Very light flavor up front, sweet cider kicks in mid-palate with some tart apples flavors near the finish. The wheat flavor is light, but somewhat noticeable on the finish.

M- light bodied with moderate carbonation, slightly fizzy mouthfeel with a crisp finish

O- this beer serves a purpose, and would be refreshing for spring or summer days. Definitely drinks more like a cider as the wheat aspect is overpowered by the sweetness of the apple (694 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +6.3%

Hazy orange with a modest rapidly receding white head. Some lace.
Smell is sweet apple tart.
Taste is honey apple crisp with some wheat.
Mouthfeel is light, Highly carbonated.
Overall a sweet tasty apple drink. Not much in common with beer. Nice sweet apple juice beverage. (273 characters)

3.37/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a very hazy straw color with very white one finger head that dies pretty quickly... your typical unfiltered wheat beer look.

The smell is apple jolly rancher and apple cider.. smells very sweet with a little malt scent on the back end.

The taste is like a hard cider, not as strong but definitely the same... luckily it is not as sweet as i was expecting from the taste... very strong apple flavor, a little tart like apple cider, maybe some pear and spice on the end.

I have always loved apple beers... even ones that people dislike. To me, there is a comfort in a apple flavor beer...mostly have had them in the fall, but a nice change for a spring beer. I can see drinking this on my deck when the spring days are warm, or on the chilly nights as winter tries to hold on haha. This is not a complex beer folks, but an easy drinking sweet treat, that isn't overly cloying.

Cheers! (892 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I like this one it has mild apple taste. Most appealing is the gluten free as I have a friend who has issues with gluten so we can drink this together. Its much better cool but not refrigerator cold. We had this on summer day and it was very refreshing and not heavy like some beverages can be. For me this is great Grilled food Beer. (334 characters)

3.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint.

A - Pours a hazy yellow/gold with a one-finger foamy white head. Zero lacing.

S - Smells EXACTLY like a a sour apple Jolly Rancher. Doesnt really smell like a beer, but the odor is plesant enough.

T - Taste matches the smell exactly. Candied sour green apple. No hint of beer flavors such as malt or hops, much closer to a cider. Zero complexity, just lots of tart apple. Finishes clean and crisp.

M - Medium bodied. Prickly carbonation. A little sticky.

O - Umm...I'm not even sure how I feel about this. Is it bad? No, not exactly. As a beer...it makes a pretty decent cider. But since I wanted a beer, I'd have to say it fails. Seems like an AB attempt to "trick" people into drinking cider?? (743 characters)

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat from Anheuser-Busch