Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat - Anheuser-Busch

Anheuser-Busch visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat is a unique, hand crafted brewed hybrid of Belgian wheat beer and sweet cider, with natural Honeycrisp flavor added to produce an innovative new brew that is crisp, refreshing and flavorful. This unfiltered brew is the perfect beer to welcome the warming Spring days.

(Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2013)
3.33/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottled 3/13/13.

Pours a murky light orange with a foamy bone colored head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small streaks and dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is mainly of apple cider and green apples with maybe a hint of grains. Taste is much the same with more of the grain and some spice flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of spice bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an above average "beer" that is much more like a cider or an alcopop than beer.

UCLABrewN84, Apr 13, 2013

djrn2, Nov 28, 2013

zestar, May 10, 2014

acurtis, Jul 20, 2013
3.2/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

A: The beer is slightly hazy yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a finger high off white head that died down, leaving a bit of lacing on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Moderate aromas of apple Jolly Rancher candy are present in the nose.
T: Much like the smell, the taste has flavors similar to an apple Jolly Rancher, except that there is a bit of wheat flavors.
M: It feels a bit more than light-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is easy to drink but tastes more like a candy than a Belgian-inspired wheat beer.

metter98, Dec 25, 2013

kylehay2004, May 26, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +21%

Knapp85, Jul 05, 2013
3.23/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Can't wait for the Macintosh and Granny Smith spinoffs. Anyway, this stuff pours a hazy brass-straw topped by a finger of relatively short-lived lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises red apple flesh, lightly-funky wheat, and a very light whiff of what may or may not be a mixture of vanilla and cinnamon (reminds me of my favorite air freshener...). The taste brings in more of the same, along with a vein of mild orange zest. The wheat's funk increases near the finish. The body is a light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a sorta/kinda drying finish. Overall, kinda surprisingly not that bad, though I can see how the apple flavor can be a bit much for some people. Though I didn't totally like or dislike this stuff, I will say I found it enjoyable enough where I wouldn't necessarily turn down a free follow-up bottle.

TMoney2591, Feb 07, 2013

SocalKicks, Oct 04, 2013
3.1/5  rDev 0%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Poured out a clear, golden color with a small, fizzy white head of foam. It left little to no lacing on the glass.

S - It smelled cider-like. Apples, just apples.

T - Tasted like apple cider. I didn't get any wheat. If I didn't see myself pour it, I would've thought it was a Woodchuck. It didn't taste bad, though.

M - Crisp, sharp and smooth. Bud knows how to do that. Light bodied.

O - It's a fine cider but not at all a witbier. Maybe a fruit beer.

zeff80, Mar 21, 2013
3.7/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat

I walked into my local beer distributor the other day and smelled apples. Lo and behold, there on tap was Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat. I poured myself a glass and had a look. It looked like fresh cider. Not much head. And it smelled like apples, even more so than fresh cider. It was sweet and it tasted like apples, albeit fake apples. I didn't find much wheat, and I didn't find much spice (some light cinnamon, and maybe some vanilla). In fact, I didn't find it much like beer at all. Still it was interesting and I knew my wife would like it. And since I was headed to an outdoor party I considered it quite seriously. In the end I passed it by, but I will consider it in the future. I could see it as an interesting beer to have on-hand at Thanksgiving.

NeroFiddled, Apr 02, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

I had this on tap at the brewery in st Louis, and it actually is really fantastic. it has a nice golden glow and some mild haze beneath a good sized white head. the nose is fresh apples, half way between juice and cider, its really nice because its all fruit and no spice, just right. the taste is the same, overpoweringly fresh apples, true to its name. there is little here to remind me that this is beer, but I think that's the purpose of shock top, is it not? its not too sweet either, but rather a little tart like the honeycrisp itself. maybe a touch of wheat malt in here, but its simple and subtle. the finish is long and fruity, a really nice twist from the normal shock top. carbonated like soda pop, I think this does exactly what it sets out to do. I don't need more than one, but I like what they have going on here. im sure in a bottle that's been around awhile this is pretty bad, but I can absolutely vouch for the brewery fresh edition, it really is pretty darn good.

edit: not so good from the bottle. while the apples are still really fresh and snappy and authentic, the sugar is just way too much. one bottle is doable, but a night on these is an awful idea resulting in diabetic hangover and tooth decay. one is the right dose, any more is too much. i wish this was dryer, way better at the source, but still genuine fruit flavor.

StonedTrippin, Jun 15, 2013
2.69/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

A - Pours with one and a half fingers of white foam on top of a hazy, golden body. The head settles fairly quickly and leaves decent lace.

S - Green jolly ranchers with a bit of herbal hops and malt in the background.

T - It tastes much like it smells with green apple up front, and sweet malt in the middle. Finishes with a touch of herbal character and more green apple.

M - A fairly thick body, moderate carbonation, and a sweet finish.

D - Not surprisingly the green apple dominates and there really isn't much else going on.

nickfl, May 29, 2013
3.84/5  rDev +23.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The clouded golden hue with rocky white textured head makes this beer then comes a rush of Honey Crisp Apples at the grocer in town they cost 3.69 a lb what a deal that the sixer is only 8 bucks or so. A beautiful mix of apple cider and chalky white Belgian style yeast, I think I'm in love. It's that good smells of fresh apple skins with the charming characters that we all want in a beer which I found would be refreshment. Flavor comes correct with apple skins and a fresh juicy honeycrisp note...slight hints of cinnamon laying flat with brown sugared apples this beer tastes great. Not many Shock Tops make me turn my head this is one with a drying apple cider effect that I have been enjoying since I found it's magic.

WVbeergeek, Apr 26, 2013
3.08/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a hazed gold/bronze with a pinky of beige head. No head retention or lacing

S: Jolly rancer apple scents & a touch of capri sun

T: Sweet crisp apples, a touch wheat maltyness lurks in the background up front. Jolly rancher candy notes as this warms. Finishes swwet & crisp

MF: Light bodied, crisp, a bit sticky

Drinks fairly easy, but a bit too sweet/fake for my liking. This would do me fine in the summer in a pinch. but only for one or 2 at the most. Certainly not a wit

russpowell, Mar 02, 2013
3.65/5  rDev +17.7%

Pours hazed yellow with a think head. Some lacing sticks.

The smell is of candied apple, honey and wheat. Smells as it should, and pretty powerfully.

The taste is of sweet and sour notes - honey and apple with a clean finish.

It is crisp with a fuller side of light bodied. Not watery or fizzy.

This is a nice, crisp, easy-drinking, appley, honey-ish brew.

jwc215, Jul 17, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -11.3%

oriolesfan4, Apr 03, 2013
3.3/5  rDev +6.5%

My heart goes pitty-pat when I see new CANs to further The CANQuest (TM) and I was kind of excited to see CANs of this during my Saturday day trip to Brooklyn and Manhattan. I am like a neo-hippie for CANs in that I will try anything once!

From the CAN: "Belgian-style wheat ale brewed with cider and spices with natural Honeycrisp apple flavor and other natural flavor." Well, they have not changed their tune much in nine months, but no longer is agitation required.

The Crack was not as loud as with some CANs, but neither was it brimful, which may be a CANtributor. An inverted Glug produced two fingers of dense, tawny head with good retention. Color was a downright cloudy orangish-amber (SRM = 7) and no agitation had been necessary. The nose was rich with sweet apples and I have to agree with a previous reviewer that it seemed to have a LOT in common with cider. The mouthfeel was very thin with only a mild effervescence being discernible. I was reminded of the hard cider that my maternal grandparents would produce with freshly pressed apples from their upper lot. I was also curious about the spices since they too were indiscernible. Perhaps I drank one too many Pumpkin Ales this year, but I was not getting much in the way of spice from this. Finish was sweet, downright sweet and really more than I wanted. I am going to second this as a potential alternative to a hard cider, but with so many hard ciders hitting the market now, I would have to wonder why bother?

My original, bottle review, dtd 03-05-2013 follows:

Once more, my neighbors had an oddball sixer on the shelf and I decided to split it between my uncle and a colleague. I will try anything once.

From the bottle: "Belgian-style wheat ale brewed with cider and spices with natural Honeycrisp apple flavor and other natural flavor."; "To serve, pour down the side of the glass until 1/2 inch is left in the bottle. Swirl the remaining brew and pour to produce a rich, thick collar of foam. Enjoy!"

As a previous reviewer noted, despite heavy agitation and an aggro pour, I still only developed a pinky finger of eggshell-white head. Color was a cloudy orangish-yellow. Nose smelled of apple cider, so points for truth in advertising. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full and it had a very apple cider flavor in the mouth. The spices lent it an apple pie quality, and it was actually pretty good. Finish was semi-sweet with the spices keeping it from being an outright sugar bomb. This one and the other of my share will be just about the right amount for this hophead. It was a novelty and I do not regret my purchase, but two is enough.

woodychandler, Dec 10, 2013

wrightst, Oct 05, 2013
3.15/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A: Pours a very lightly hazy pale golden yellow in color with moderate amounts of active visible carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass and some faint straw yellow highlights. The beer has a finger tall fizzy white head that reduces fairly quickly to a small to medium sized patch of very thin film and a very thin ring at the edges of the glass. Very light amounts of lacing are observed.

S: Moderate aromas of really sweet cider (similar to original Woodchuck if memory serves me correctly - though it has been like a decade since I've had it) with a faint hint of wheat.

T: Upfront there is a really sweet flavor of cider (akin to a Woodchuck original) that is followed by very light flavors of wheat. There is also a lingering flavor of slightly pasty Belgian yeast. Minimal amounts of sweetness or bitterness in the finish.

M: Slightly heavier than light bodied with moderate amounts of carbonation.

O: Easy enough to drink with well hidden alcohol but there is something about the combination of flavors that just does not quite mixed correctly in my opinion - shockingly sweet cider with a slightly pasty Belgian yeast + wheat flavor.

dbrauneis, Feb 05, 2014