Join our email list →

Missouri, United States | website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer | 5.20% ABV

Availability: Spring

Beer added by: Jason on 01-10-2013

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat is a unique, hand crafted brewed hybrid of Belgian wheat beer and sweet cider, with natural Honeycrisp flavor added to produce an innovative new brew that is crisp, refreshing and flavorful. This unfiltered brew is the perfect beer to welcome the warming Spring days.
3.5/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Surprisingly not bad. The smell stood out to me and was fantastic. I'm a huge fan of Martinelli's sparkling apple cider and this reminded me of that. The flavor was nice. Apple forward. Ends dry. For some odd reason I kept getting whiskey notes and some heat as I swallowed. For 5.2% I shouldn't notice any heat at all. But I got some. Slightly heavy for me, I like really light wheat beers and this was too heavy for my liking. However, it wasnt an offensive mess like the raspberry wheat and it's not something I'd turn down. Especially in the summer. I wouldn't rush to buy a 6 pack of it, but if there's nothing at the bar or at a BBQ, why not?

4.08/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A- Pours a light orange to yellow color with a ton of haze like a traditional wheat beer. Small to medium sized head that is mainly light and fizzy. Head goes down to a thin film on top fairly quickly with just a little bit of lacing. Body's color is very light on the edges when held to the light.

S- Huge, juicy apple scents right up front. The level of juiciness in this is surprising for a liquid. Apple is pretty much the only flavor in the scent, but man is it juicy and delicious smelling.

T- This just plain tastes like a hard cider up front. Starts with that same juicy apple flavor from the scent, then moves right into the wheat flavors. Wheat and grain turn into a fairly dry flavor profile towards the end. Ends with the grain and little to no hop bite.

M- Very, very carbonated, almost feels like a champagne. Decent body weight from the wheat, but doesn't sit too heavy. These could go down smooth for a while, but would probably fill you up after a bit.

Overall, this is a simple fruit beer, but pretty good. The wheat flavors brings it back into the beer realm from the juicy apples flavors that had me thinking it was basically a hard cider.

3.7/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat

I walked into my local beer distributor the other day and smelled apples. Lo and behold, there on tap was Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat. I poured myself a glass and had a look. It looked like fresh cider. Not much head. And it smelled like apples, even more so than fresh cider. It was sweet and it tasted like apples, albeit fake apples. I didn't find much wheat, and I didn't find much spice (some light cinnamon, and maybe some vanilla). In fact, I didn't find it much like beer at all. Still it was interesting and I knew my wife would like it. And since I was headed to an outdoor party I considered it quite seriously. In the end I passed it by, but I will consider it in the future. I could see it as an interesting beer to have on-hand at Thanksgiving.

3.97/5  rDev +24.8%

A review by the sister of DIaNE bREW...
Appearance - You can't see through it. It looks dirty. A bit muddy.
Smell- Honey crisp apples and sex.
Taste- Like fresh apple cider. delicious! Very filling
Mouth feel- It coats every taste bud
Overall- Shockingly amazing. Shockingly delicious with apple flavour

3.08/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Poured out a clear, golden color with a small, fizzy white head of foam. It left little to no lacing on the glass.

S - It smelled cider-like. Apples, just apples.

T - Tasted like apple cider. I didn't get any wheat. If I didn't see myself pour it, I would've thought it was a Woodchuck. It didn't taste bad, though.

M - Crisp, sharp and smooth. Bud knows how to do that. Light bodied.

O - It's a fine cider but not at all a witbier. Maybe a fruit beer.

3.4/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a nonic pint.

A - Pours a hazy yellow/gold with a one-finger foamy white head. Zero lacing.

S - Smells EXACTLY like a a sour apple Jolly Rancher. Doesnt really smell like a beer, but the odor is plesant enough.

T - Taste matches the smell exactly. Candied sour green apple. No hint of beer flavors such as malt or hops, much closer to a cider. Zero complexity, just lots of tart apple. Finishes clean and crisp.

M - Medium bodied. Prickly carbonation. A little sticky.

O - Umm...I'm not even sure how I feel about this. Is it bad? No, not exactly. As a beer...it makes a pretty decent cider. But since I wanted a beer, I'd have to say it fails. Seems like an AB attempt to "trick" people into drinking cider??

4.39/5  rDev +38.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

could not be happier with a random loose beer I got to try the other day. The Honeycrisp Apple Wheat for shock top smells perfect and tastes even better. I could not have had a better first taste of a beer in my entire life. The apple is a slight hint but a nice fresh aftertaste. highly recommended and a must try!

2.97/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

A: Pours a cloudy straw yellow color with a fingers worth of head

S: Sweet green apple stands out the most, almost like a green jolly rancher. Get some light wheat and cidery notes, but the apple sweetness stands out the most

T: Follows the nose. Candy-like apple sweetness with a hint of dry cider, spices, and wheat to attempt any sort of balance. Finishes lightly dry

M: Medium bodied with moderate-high carbonation

O: I feel like this COULD be an interesting beer if the jolly rancher sweetness wasn't present throughout the nose and taste. It overpowers anything else the beer is trying to do, and gets cloying after a couple. The cider has a nice influence, but again, it's just overpowered by the sweetness. Aside from being brewed with wheat, there really aren't much wheat characteristics either... Leave this one for the faux crowd

2.81/5  rDev -11.6%

Appearance: cloudy dark yellow in color, foamy white head that dissipates quickly and leaves no tracing.

Smell: Like a green apple Jolly Rancher. There's a bit of wheat/grain in there, but it's minimal.

Taste: Tastes like it smells. Green Apple/sweet candy dominates in the front, middle, and back of the mouthful. Very little else to go by.

Mouthfeel: It's light and clean, no real aftertaste to speak of.

Overall: It's not bad. I would have appreciated something more than a dominating apple flavor. I realize it's mixed with cider, but if the cider's going to utterly dominate the ale I'd just as soon drink cider. I'm a fan of fruit beers but I don't see the point of this one.

3.2/5  rDev +0.6%

A: Hazy pale golden body, with a very persistent fluffy white head. Some lacing stays behind, but not a whole lot.

S: It smells like I just bit into an apple, but has a Jolly Rancher quality to it as well. Almost like more apple than an apple. Nothing else comes through, but it does smell very appley.

T: It tastes like apple soda, and doesn't have much beer quality to it. I mean when I drink this with my eyes closed I can't tell that it's a beer. In that respect I am disappointed, but they are all over the apple flavor in this one. I mean if you want something to make candy with, you could reduce this and wrap it in plastic.

M: The mouthfeel is smooth, but it's hard to drink with a sharp apple flavor.

O: Flavor-wise, this beer is nothing like a wit. I would recommend it to people who like very strong fruity sodas, like Fanta, fruit flavored Jones Soda, or fans of Jolly Ranchers. I like fruit beers, but this one is way over the top.

4.38/5  rDev +37.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Another Shock Top that didn't disappoint.

Great color out of the bottle, small head but with good lacing. The smell just blew me away, it was pure honey and apples, so much so you might think you we're drinking one of those hard ciders but with better taste. I like the carbonation on this one and was glad to find there was little aftertaste. The beer is deceptive, be careful or you'll end up guzzling it thinking it were apple juice. Overall, I scored it a bit low since this is a beer rating site and it ended up being more of a hard cider like I mention above rather than a fruit flavored beer.

3.08/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 2 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a hazed gold/bronze with a pinky of beige head. No head retention or lacing

S: Jolly rancer apple scents & a touch of capri sun

T: Sweet crisp apples, a touch wheat maltyness lurks in the background up front. Jolly rancher candy notes as this warms. Finishes swwet & crisp

MF: Light bodied, crisp, a bit sticky

Drinks fairly easy, but a bit too sweet/fake for my liking. This would do me fine in the summer in a pinch. but only for one or 2 at the most. Certainly not a wit

4.06/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz twist-off bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada imperial pint
5.2% ABV, numbers on neck label.

A - Cloudy and warm-hued golden straw yellow, this beer pours with a moderately lasting tight white head that modestly disappears leaving little lace behind.

S - Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat has an intoxicating, explosive aroma of honey crisp apples, my favorite variety. It's initially strong and cider-like with no real sense of being artificial, but as the head dissipates, more beer comes through, dulling the big apple nose down considerably while adding a dry, husky straw and wet wheat nose. I don't mind it being more "beer" like (after all, this is a beer, not cider) it's just lacking in quality. Notes of cinnamon and nutmeg spice emerge as well, but it had become much less captivating. In the end, it's quite impressive, the way this beer captures the juicy apple nose.

T - The first gulp is quite impressive, really delivering a lot of honey crisp apple flavor directly to the dome but, with each passing sip some sweetness sets in, subtly suggesting a layer of artificial additives before the apple is matched in potency by the beer itself. Husky pale malt and wet wheat rise up for a flavor that's almost a direct reflection of the aroma.

M - Strong carbonation produces near instant belches as the light, bubbly beer quickly disappears from the glass. Crisp, this cider-like beer balances some sweetness with a dry finish that begs for another sip, or gulp, almost instantly.

O - I might be alone on this one, but I really dig this Shock Top. It's got a ton of real honey crisp apple flavor (once again, my favorite variety of apple by far) with nice little spice notes and a crisp, clean finish. It's almost cider-like but has enough malt and wheat character to keep it grounded as a beer, though not a witbier. It's probably the fastest I've finished my review bottle and I'm (surprisingly) sad I don't have any more. If this is around in the summer time, it would just kill it.

3.31/5  rDev +4.1%

Shock Top is definitely branching out with this beer.

The strongest flavor is the apple taste. It is consistent from beginning to finish in every sip. It's pleasant and mildly sweet with a hint of tartness, just like actual Honeycrisp apples. Because the flavor is so strong, it overpowers the flavor of the beer, masking it (which is not a quality I look for when I purchase beer).

As a big wheat beer fan, I wish more of those notes came through. A sort of wheat breadiness is almost accessible, but it's elusive and leaves more to be desired. As a nice, spring drink, this is a refreshing choice. It is a great option for those who typically dislike beer.

The cider flavor, which is this beers biggest distinction and strength also doubles as its weakness. I might buy it again for a varied social gather or on a rare occasion, but this is not a beer I would typically like to chill with. It's much more like a hard apple cider.

3.24/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3

I picked up a bottle of Shock Top's Honeycrisp Apple Wheat last week for $1.00 at Kroger's. I was picking up some grocerys and I saw this sitting in the dollar bin so I thought it might be a worth a try, I don't have the highest expectations for this beer, but lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, I think this was left over from fall 2012. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks like the typical Shock Top labels with some apples thrown in to go with the name. It poured a hazy light golden yellow color that took on more of a darker golden color when held to the light with three fingers worth of white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it didn't leave any lacing behind. This was an average looking beer, the color was nice, but the head and lacing were disappointing.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness and loads of apple aromas, there's some tart green apples mixed in with some apple cider aromas and it makes for an aroma that smells a little artificial and it reminds me of those green apple jolly ranchers. Up next comes the cinnamon which is noticeable but not overpowering and it goes good with the apple aromas. I also get a light wheat and grainy aroma on the finish. The aroma wasn't bad, but it was a little too heavy on the green apples and it had an artificial green apple candy aroma to it that got old fast.

T- The taste seems to be like a lighter version of the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of apples that has some tart green apple flavors to it but the apple cider seems to be the most dominant flavor. After that comes the wheat that imparts a watery wheat and slightly stale malt flavors that remind that this is still a beer. It had no bitterness at all just a lighter amount of tartness instead and an apple cider and slightly wheaty aftertaste. This beer tasted ok, it was true to to the name, but the wheat base didn't stand out that well and the apples were slightly artificial and a little too overpowering.

M- Fairly smooth, slightly cloying, lightly tart, on the thick side of being medium bodied, with a good amount of slightly higher medium carbonation that was a little prickly. The mouthfeel was nice and the extra carbonation that was a little prickly worked well with this beer.

Overall I was pretty indifferent about this beer. i didn't love it, but it wasn't horrible, I think it's a pretty average example of the style, I wish the wheat base stuck out a little more and was cleaner and the apples could be toned down a little. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it went down fairly smooth, but it was a little too sweet for me and the flavors didn't hold my attention for long at all, one is enough for me before it's time to move on to something else. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, it was nice and I liked the extra carbonation, it worked well with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was that the wheat base wasn't better and stuck out more, it was more of an artificial apple bomb than a wheat beer. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's cheap, but it really isn't anything I enjoyed and I might recommend it to Shock Top lovers, but that's it. All i all I wasn't a big fan of this beer, it wasn't horrible but it didn't have enough quality's to convince me this was a decent Wheat beer. I like that Shock Top is trying new things, but this one didn't work out. better luck next time.

3.59/5  rDev +12.9%

Deep opaque gold when poured....quickly dissipating head...highly carbonated...smells like like apple cider...tastes like it smells, sweet/tart apples, a bit of wheat with honey on the end....feels a bit syrupy in the mouth.

Not bad...enjoyable but definately not a session beer. A little too sweet and cloying if you have more than 3 or 4. Definately an interesting brew! Cheers!

look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

12-oz bottle into weizen glass

A - 2 finger white head over a cloudy golden yellow body, lots of carbonation, head quickly dissipates into nothing

S - sweet apple, hint of wheat

T - sweet and somewhat sour apple juice, wheat; not much like a wheat beer; candy-like sweetness is far too prominent

M - light/medium body, high carbonation

O - wouldn't buy again

3.19/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Murky pale yellow. Lots of teeny bubbles; on the sides of the glass, and floating to the surface. No head at all.

S: Smells like an Apple Jolly Rancher. Malts. Bread & Dough. Pineapple.

T: Artificial apple flavor. Sugary sweet. I bet there is a ton of 'apple oils' and 'something-crose' in this. More like a wime cooler than a beer. Yucky on the back end!!!

M: Cough syrup.

O: Honestly, I bet these would be okay on a summer day after mowing the lawn.

Thanks Sam and Vicky!

3.69/5  rDev +16%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I heard from quite a few friends that this was good so I decided to pick up a 6-pack. While it's not bad, it didn't live up to their hype.

A- Looks more like a cider than a beer, which makes sense, since it says it's brewed with cider. I'm a big cider fan and I'd rather have the real thing, however. There is nearly no head and very minimal lacing, and the color ranges from dark yellow to a muted orange depending on the angle.

S- This brew smells much better than it tastes; like fresh apple cider and cinnamon.

T- The apple cider taste is present but not nearly as strong as a real cider's. A hint of honey in the aftertaste.

M- Average. Nothing too thick or thin; goes down smooth, though.

Overall, this is very drinkable and while certainly not the most flavorful beer I've had, it's not tasteless or bad by any means.

3.23/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

Can't wait for the Macintosh and Granny Smith spinoffs. Anyway, this stuff pours a hazy brass-straw topped by a finger of relatively short-lived lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises red apple flesh, lightly-funky wheat, and a very light whiff of what may or may not be a mixture of vanilla and cinnamon (reminds me of my favorite air freshener...). The taste brings in more of the same, along with a vein of mild orange zest. The wheat's funk increases near the finish. The body is a light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a sorta/kinda drying finish. Overall, kinda surprisingly not that bad, though I can see how the apple flavor can be a bit much for some people. Though I didn't totally like or dislike this stuff, I will say I found it enjoyable enough where I wouldn't necessarily turn down a free follow-up bottle.

3.37/5  rDev +6%

Pours a very hazy straw color with very white one finger head that dies pretty quickly... your typical unfiltered wheat beer look.

The smell is apple jolly rancher and apple cider.. smells very sweet with a little malt scent on the back end.

The taste is like a hard cider, not as strong but definitely the same... luckily it is not as sweet as i was expecting from the taste... very strong apple flavor, a little tart like apple cider, maybe some pear and spice on the end.

I have always loved apple beers... even ones that people dislike. To me, there is a comfort in a apple flavor beer...mostly have had them in the fall, but a nice change for a spring beer. I can see drinking this on my deck when the spring days are warm, or on the chilly nights as winter tries to hold on haha. This is not a complex beer folks, but an easy drinking sweet treat, that isn't overly cloying.

Cheers!

3.13/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Pours a very hazy lemonade color with a dish soap-like collar of head. The head didn't stay though. I forgot to do the swirl. No lacing.

Smells like apple juice, wheat, cinnamon, pickled fruits, and Jolly Ranchers. Definitely very sweet nose. Some artificialness. Not half-bad, though.

Cider, stewed apple, cinnamon stick, tangy wheat/yeast combo, hint of juicy pear, some buried-beneath-the-sugar malts, a notch above 'no hops'. Just wicked sweet. Syrupy, too. Just overwhelmingly apple cinnamon. Finishes with a short-lived astringency, like a solvent. After that flashes, just more residual sweetness.

Sticky. Thick body for the style, loaded up with all that sugar. Carbonation is soft. Not sure what this would need to improve on feel, other than less sugars. So-so drinkability.

Not really a witbier. I'd probably rate this respectably as an American Pale Wheat Ale. The girlfriend loves it, but this just isn't for me.

3.86/5  rDev +21.4%

Hmmm....a budweiser product....uh oh...

Poured into a Woodstock Inn & Brewery (Lincoln, NH) pint glass.

Typical ShockTop look...hazy, dark orange honey color, which is what any self respecting heffy should look like. Has about a 1" head thats gone pretty quick.

Smell is kinda like one of those granny smith jolly rancher candys, with some wheat and coriander (a ST staple) of course.

Taste is slightly less sour...more like a macintosh apple..with the usual wheaty smoothness up front with a very slight spice at the end...also somthing else..is that pear? Finishes pretty much the way it starts...smooth and fruitish.

Bought this at a local chain grocer in Hillsboro, NH being a slight fan of STs' other brews (bud hasnt completely screwed it up yet) and was pleasantly surprised...after the raspberry, most of them have been pretty meh. But for a cheap beer for the masses (which i normally despise) its not bad. I suppose if im down to my last 8$ and want a dwcent 6er id buy it again.

3.7/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours a hazy yellow color with a slight, white head. There is a strong scent of granny smith apples with a slight hint of wheat. The initial flavor of this beer is more like a hard cider with a sweet, tangy, apple taste. It isn’t until well after swallowing you begin to get a beer taste from it. It finishes rather chalky and slightly sour. This is really more of a cider than a beer folks.

3.29/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours a pale, golden-straw color, hazy and nearly fully opaque in the center, very pale straw and a little more translucent at the edges. Fizzling, wispy white head disappears within 20 seconds to nothing more than a skinny ring. Aroma is that of tart, sour green apples, sweet apples, apple candy, and sugar. Almost smells a bit like a hard cider. Very little wheat to be detected, and anything else for that matter, besides the apple. The taste is not as packed with apple as I was expecting from the intense nose... it's actually a bit watery and lacking. Faint, crisp apple skins graze the palate in a sparkling-apple-juice kind of way. The middle to after taste really brings out the wheat a bit more, as well as some fine grains. Mild tartness kicks the inside of your mouth more a second, but nothing too puckering. Despite the somewhat tart aroma and flavor, the beer doesn't taste or seem too overly sweet or sugary. It actually has a nice, crispy, somewhat dry finish. Aftertaste of weak wheatiness and some left over apple skins. I burped and it tasted like Apple Jacks cereal... how about that? Highly carbonated, as most Shock Top beers seem to be, making the beer seemingly evaporate as it enters your mouth.

Surprisingly, I enjoyed this one much more than I thought I would. Perhaps my expectations were set too low to begin with. It lacks a big flavor punch, but it's still pretty taste and it's not cloyingly sweet or menacing. I could actually see this working better in the summer time, not sure why it was released in January.

Shock Top Honeycrisp Apple Wheat from Anheuser-Busch